final

Bottle It Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After staying up to finish an essay, Chorong is running late. She’ll still make it to school on time, but her hair is merely thrown into a messy ponytail and her breakfast is a granola bar she manages to grab on her way out the door.

 

Thankfully, traffic is lighter today, and Chorong pulls into the school parking lot ten minutes before the first bell. She lets out a low sigh of relief as she gets out of the car. That’s the last time she ever puts off writing an essay.

 

Chorong jogs up to her friends, flushed and out of breath as she clutches the straps of her backpack. She blows a stray strand out of her face and looks around, noticing there’s someone missing. Chorong frowns and asks, “Hey, where’s Eunji?”

 

“She’s with the seniors,” Namjoo replies. She points over her shoulder to where Eunji sits, surrounded by a cluster of seniors. “They practically dragged her over to join them as soon as she got out of practice.”

 

Chorong purses her lips, watching as Eunji laughs at something Park Sojin says and leans against Kwon Yuri. Practically as soon as they entered high school, Eunji got the attention of the seniors. Even though it doesn’t quite sit right with Chorong, there’s no mystery why the seniors flock around her. Eunji is the only freshman starter on the volleyball team, taking the place of the previous libero and proving herself an invaluable player. That automatically puts her around the other upperclassmen volleyball players. Not to mention, Eunji is a fun and easy-going enough person that people naturally like to have her around. 

 

It’s not that Chorong thinks Eunji isn’t allowed to have other friends, but it’s starting to get annoying how often the seniors just swoop in and steal her when Chorong hasn’t been able to talk to Eunji outside of class for almost two weeks now. Sure, there’s the occasional text, but they’re both so busy with extracurriculars that it’s usually just exchanging small talk before going to sleep. Chorong misses her friend.

 

“No matter how hard you stare, they aren’t going to catch on fire,” Bomi says, nudging her.

 

Chorong snaps her gaze away and says, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

“She means it looked like you were trying to burn holes through Kwon Yuri’s head with your laser vision,” Hayoung pipes up with a cheeky grin. She leans forward and rests her head in her hands. “What’s Kwon done to get you all mad?”

 

“Kwon Yuri hasn’t done anything,” Chorong replies.

 

“Is it Eunji then?” Naeun asks.

 

“No!” Chorong says, but she says it too quickly. In response, she gets four knowing stares that make her blush. Fumbling for a reason for her staring, Chorong says, “I just needed to borrow some biology notes from her, but she’s obviously busy.” As soon as she says it, she winces. That has to be the worst excuse ever. Chorong, Eunji, and Namjoo all share the same biology teacher. Chorong could just as easily borrow the notes from Namjoo, who has way neater handwriting than Eunji. Except in what world would Chorong not have gotten the notes when she hasn’t missed school recently? She could hit herself for saying something so stupid.

 

Bomi just smirks and says, “Then go get the notes.”

 

“I– I just said she’s busy!” Chorong sputters.

 

Bomi takes an overexaggerated glance at the table Eunji is sitting at before she gives Chorong a flat stare. All but rolling her eyes, Bomi says, “Rong, she’s just talking to some people. I’m sure she can sacrifice the two seconds it’ll take to get the notes out of her backpack.” 

 

“Yuri and Sojin are nice,” Namjoo adds. She just smiles innocently when Chorong glares at her too. “They won’t mind you interrupting them.”

 

Without thinking, Chorong replies, “What is there to interrupt?”

 

“I don’t know,” Namjoo says, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips even though she’s clearly trying to hold it back. “Why don’t you tell us?” 

 

“Go to her, go to her, go to her,” Hayoung chants. She nudges for Naeun to join her, but the other girl just gives her an amused smile.

 

Turning to Chorong, Naeun says, “Please just go talk to her before Hayoung convinces me to say that with her.”

 

“I can get the notes later,” Chorong tries as a last ditch attempt.

 

“Why wait?” Bomi replies without missing a beat.

 

Barely refraining from banging her head against a nearby tree, Chorong sighs and rubs at her temples for a moment. She glances at Bomi and sighs again. She’s known her long enough to recognize that look. Either Chorong goes and talks to Eunji willingly, or Bomi will drag her over there kicking and screaming. For the sake of her dignity, Chorong does the former.

 

Hands tightening around the straps of her backpack, Chorong walks over to the table that Eunji is sitting at. She’s practically the center of attention as the other senior girls all smile dotingly down at her. It’d almost be sweet if it didn’t send Chorong’s stomach into uncomfortable twists. Taking a deep breath, Chorong takes the last few steps forward.

 

Eunji notices her and grins brightly, saying, “Morning, Rong. Did you just get here?”

 

“No, um, I was talking to Bomi and them,” Chorong replies, stammering for a moment when all of the seniors’ eyes go to her. She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear and says, “I was just wondering if I could borrow your biology notes. I spilled some water on mine, so I can’t really read the last part.”

 

“What about Namjoo?” Eunji asks, even as she pulls her backpack into her lap and starts digging around in it. 

 

“It’s in her locker,” Chorong lies. Well, it could be true. She didn’t bother asking Namjoo in the first place though. “She didn’t feel like going there just to lend me the notes.”

 

Eunji shoots her a fond smile and says, “Of course. What are we going to do with her?”

 

As Eunji looks around in her backpack, Sojin tilts her head and asks, “So, you’re Chorong?”

 

“Yes?” Chorong replies. It ends in an upwards lilt because she has no idea why Park Sojin would know her name. They kind of run in similar circles, but she’s also a senior. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter