Chapter 1

Tempting

It was Friday morning when Mark decided to change the lamp in the reading room. It had been blinking for days and instead of a place to read, it made the room looked like a disco room if not the haunted house. The area itself was tiny and only filled by a book shelve, a single arm chair and a rug. Mark hardly ever visited this part of the apartment. But Jinyoung had come home and he liked to spend forever reading here so he wanted to do something for him. 

All of the sudden, the lose paint of the ceiling decided to pour crisps on him and he lost balance on the stairs trying to protect his eyes. Instinctively his hands reached below to minimize the collision, but they were never reached the floor. Instead, he fell on a pair of steady arms holding him on his back and thighs. Mark opened his eyes and saw a familiar face, already looking fresh from the shower. The smell of mint spread from his body, giving a warm feeling of what Mark called home. 

“You ok?” Jinyoung’s deep voice awakened him.

Mark jumped to his feet, suddenly remembered where he was, “Oh, you’re awake?”

Jinyoung looked at him with an amused smile, “Good morning to you too.” 

Mark watched as Jinyoung pulled the sleeve of his hoodie to his elbow. His arm muscles flexed as he moved aside the stairs quite easily like it weighed nothing. 

“You should’ve waited for me.”

“No, you’re tired from travel. I can deal with something like this by myself.” Mark hit his chest proudly.

A chuckle, “Of course you can.” Jinyoung looked around, “I think we should re-do the painting, how long has it been? 3 years?”

“Yeah, almost.” Mark stared at the damaged painting who was almost yellow. “You really should stop smoking here.”

“Irrelevant.”

“How is it irrelevant? The walls were white.”

“Then let’s just paint them yellow so it’ll look intended.”

Mark’s eyes widened, somehow he knew it’s hard to reason with Jinyoung when it came to the things he liked. Feeling a curve on his mouth he said, “You’re a crazy person.” 

“You like me anyway.” Jinyoung giggled the kind of laughter better suiting an old guy than a 24-year-old student. They stared at each other, and Mark had to admit that he missed seeing Jinyoung around. The guy was only gone for a week to visit his parents, yet the apartment felt too big without him; too many empty rooms, too many slippers, too little laughter resonating. And just before he said it, the sound of the apartment door unlocked followed by gradually louder ponding sound on the wooden floor came closer. They both looked at the door and a human Snorlax let himself appeared on the doorway. 

“Ya! I got a present for you!” He said loudly; face so excited that his eyes left to become two straight lines.

“Morning, Jaebum-ssi.” Jinyoung said, hardly budged from where he stood.

“Drop the formality, you brat.” He then shoved a piece of glossy paper to Jinyoung’s chest, face still beaming with excitement. 

Jinyoung studied the writing, “It’s tonight?”

“Yeah, I got it last minute.”

“What’s that?” Mark asked curiously because this morning his boyfriend said he was going to jog. Now he came back with something he called present without telling him first. Jinyoung was his friend, if anyone should give him present, it’s gotta be him.

“Son Yeol Um is holding a recital. She’s really something. If I can get to interview her, I don’t have to worry about my final assignment,” Jinyoung said calmly, but his eyes were moving. He liked it.

Mark didn’t know her tho, and surely neither did Jaebum. But he nodded anyway, didn’t want to look stupid. Although there’s no use of trying to look smart here. Jinyoung had always been the smartest one among them after all.

“The ticket is for 2 people. Want to be my plus one?” 

Jaebum’s caught off guard. He put his hands on his waist while his mind was probably digging for a reason to reject it without looking too much like he’d just heard the most terrible idea in his life. “Ask a girl out, make it like a date.”

A date, huh? Mark had never seen Jinyoung went on a date in almost a year. Surely, he had gone out with several girls during their time living together, but no one ever stayed long enough for Mark to get to know them. 

“Yeah, why don’t I just show them my dungeon for girls would think it’s equally freaky?”

And Jaebum’s mouth fell open, completely unaware of the sarcasm. “You have a dungeon I don’t know about?!”

“Yeah, with the F machine, the gyno chair, and everything else.”

“Holy !” Jaebum’s jaws literally dropped. “And you never tell me about that?”

“He doesn’t mean that, Jaebum.” Mark clarified, unable to see how easy his boyfriend’s fooled. 

“Oh…how disappointing. Well then, you can take Mark. I have a deadline. Besides, he’s a more reliable companion than I am.” Jaebum walked out, trying to get away from the unexpected turn of event from his ‘present’ as soon as possible, like the irresponsible person he was.

Before Mark knew it, Jinyoung was already staring at him, talking with his eyes.

“I’ll get my suit ready.”

Mark heard Jinyoung chuckled behind him and wondered how he could always manage to get everything he desired: became the student president of journalistic major, bought a fancy car, or had snow crab porridge for breakfast in the summer. Therefore, how he ended up single was still puzzling. It’s either he wasn’t interested in anyone or anyone wasn’t desirable enough to get his attention. 

 

“Well, ain’t you looking tasty?” Jaebum said as he sprawled on the bed after thoughtlessly throwing Mark under this situation; eyes eyeing his boyfriend getting ready from time to time. 

“Didn’t you say you have an assignment to turn in tonight?” Mark’s fingers ran through his blond hair, styling it down after thoroughly blowing it up. 

Jaebum got up, walked his way behind him. His big hands snuck around his waist, face snuggled on his neck, sniffing him. “Oh you smell so good too.”

And only in a matter of seconds, Jaebum’s lips were already on his, pulling him deeply into a hot passionate kiss that took away his breath literally. Mark’s hand flew to the back of the other’s head wanting to get more of him. He could feel him smirking that damn cocky smile and Mark just wanted to pull him closer. At least until the knock on their bedroom door interrupted them.

“Stay,” Jaebum whispered to his ear, pecking every inch of the skin around it.

“I can’t. You’re the one who put me into this.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” He pouted, kissing him for the last time, clearly regretting his decision.

When Mark finally opened the door, he found Jinyoung leaning on the wall in front of his room; looking so sharp with his hands tucked inside the dress pants of his jet black suit, waiting for him. His hair was styled up and his face was glowing; probably from some cosmetic he applied on his skin. This guy was ready for a photoshoot and Mark felt himself staring. 

“You’re ready to go?”

Mark blinked, “Yeah, let me just get my jacket.”

“Wow, Park Jinyoung! With a look like this, you could just go to that Red Velvet Irene’s house and ask her out.” Jaebum gave two thumbs up.

“Good idea. But tonight, I already have a date.” 

Jinyoung lifted his hand and Mark took it gladly, waving it off in front of Jaebum’s dumfounded face. 

“Move away you idiot.” Mark laughed cheerfully, passing Jaebum by.

“That brat,” they heard Jaebum grumbled behind them.

 

It's been a while since the last time Mark got a ride in Jinyoung's car. Jinyoung drove an Audi as dark as his hair. They almost looked like a set; the reason he never dyed his hair. Jinyoung took pride in how he appeared. Everything in the car screamed coordination, nothing’s out of place or looked unmaintained.

“How long is the recital?” Mark asked as they cut through the night street of Seoul.

“3 to 4 hours, there’ll be a gala as well.” Jinyoung took a glance at his Rolex.

“So someone’s gonna play the piano classic for 4 hours? That’s insane.” Mark suddenly didn't feel confident to be there at all.

A chuckle. Jinyoung then reached to the audio player and tap the very top song on the playlist. It was a hiphop song from the playlist Mark made for him for his last birthday. 

“You keep it?” Mark asked in awe, turning up the volume.

“Of course, it’s from someone special.”

Mark felt warmth through his body despite the cool AC. He thought Jinyoung hated rap, he always appeared to be skeptical towards any 'loud noise'. His nagging could be so annoying that Mark intentionally decided to compile the hiphop rap songs he liked the most as a joke for Jinyoung’s birthday. He didn’t expect he actually listened to it though. And as it turned out, he just remembered he hadn’t given him the real present yet. 

In the midst of his thinking, Jinyoung was already singing along to ‘You’re the answer to a guy like me’ by Leessang, one of the too songs in Mark’s iPhone. He could even follow the fast rap part so naturally as if he had practiced it so many times like Mark did. They sang together, laughing when they didn’t get the tempo right and teased each other. 

 

Mark had never been to a recital before, but compare to the line to a concert, this line looked neater and definitely more exclusive as everybody was in suits or dresses. The ticket takers also dressed smartly and they were wearing gloves. Fancy.

Jinyoung took the pamphlet in one hand and Mark’s hand in the other, leading them to their assigned seats.

“I didn’t know Jaebum was loaded, he managed to get us such good seats,” he said, looking around the half full aula.

Jaebum wasn’t loaded. People would think he’s a romantic for moving a little further from his campus to move in with Mark. While that might be true, the more honest reason was that the cost of traveling through subway was cheaper than any accommodation around his campus. And as much as he liked being with Mark, he also enjoyed the amount of money he could save.

The recital was started by a performance of the orchestra students playing the instrumental version of the movie soundtrack of the Greatest Showman. Mark clapped with the other audience, and got excited mostly because he could recognize the song. He looked at Jinyoung and saw the guy gave him a knowing smile. They had watched the movie together that winter, very late at night since Mark had to submit an assignment before midnight. He fell asleep in the middle of the movie and missed how the story ended. He went back with his boyfriend the next day so he could catch up and Jaebum fell asleep. Several days after the incident Jinyoung was still upset. 

When the song finished, they then continued playing a song from the Danish girl; another movie he watched with Jinyoung, curled up in their apartment before he knew Jaebum. Tissue was everywhere as Jinyoung couldn’t stop crying at the end, eyes all red and his lips were swollen. He was such a cute kid, who would’ve thought he’d grow up to such a masculine figure. 

“You’re staring at me,” Jinyoung whispered as he rubbed on Mark’s hand softly.

Mark looked at the stage again and felt lost. These solo performances weren’t as entertaining as the orchestra. If anything, they’re getting more and more boring and Mark got in a constant battle with sleepiness. At one point his eyes stung because he had been suppressing yawns. He did his best, but the next time he opened his eyes, people were already clapping and it’s another new person on the stage. Feeling hyper self-conscious, he got off Jinyoung’s shoulder and clapped his hands too.

“When did I fall asleep?”

“Somewhere between Sleeping beauty suite and Gymnopedie no 1.”

Mark stared at him blankly, literally feeling lost in translation. 

“This is her.”

And the star for the night sat down in front of the grand piano. When Jinyoung said how much he liked the pianist, Mark was imagining an old guy with curly long hair like Bethoveen. While actually, it’s a young woman dressed in a beautiful couture dress, sitting elegantly in front of the grand piano. All her attention was into the tuts, her fingers was dancing on them; ignoring the audience. 

“She is really good at playing Tchaikovsky, isn’t she? This is piano concerto no.1” Jinyoung said again, clearly was very excited. 

Mark looked around and felt relief because he wasn’t the only one who wasn’t as into this as his friend. Some people had their heads on their chest, others were secretly hiding their yawn.

At some point, he must've had fallen asleep again because when he opened his eyes he found himself already snuggling into the crook of Jinyoung’s neck, inhaling his Colonia Essenza. He knew the song playing, another song of a drama he and Jinyoung watched. Mark touched his cheek and discovered a drop of water and smiled. Because just like every time he watched Autumn in my heart, Jinyoung was crying silently again. 

Mark reached to his pocket and gently taped on Jinyoung’s wet cheek with his handkerchief. The guy turned to him and tried to smile, but then he broke down and cried harder. Mark took him into a hug, letting him let go of his feeling. Guess his soft-baby friend was still there, hidden inside the muscular adult body. 

 

By the time Mark was back from the bathroom, Jinyoung was nowhere to be found, so he decided to head to the aula by himself until he heard loud thumping sounds from the lady room. He looked around and didn’t see anyone else so he peaked inside.

“Hello?”

“Someone’s there? Please help, I’m stuck.”

“Do you want me to call someone?”

“No, that’ll take too long, can you just break the door or something?”

Mark wasn’t really fond of that idea. If he did that, he might be charged with vandalism for breaking public’s property. 

“I’ll take responsibility.” She said as if reading his mind.

“Do you promise?”

“Yes.”

“Alright, please move away from the door.” 

Mark got himself ready. He might be small but kicking a locked bathroom door open didn’t require a lot of strength. With a loud bang, the door swung opened. The lock crumbled into pieces; hanging pathetically onto the wood. Right behind it was the woman from the stage before, Miss Son Yeol Um. 

“Thank you so much, sir. If I can have your name?”

“Um, it’s Mark Tuan.”

“Mark Tuan, sure sure. If I could repay you with anything?”

“No, no please. I’m glad I can help.”

"Well then. I have to go now. Once again thank you so much." The woman held his hand, thanking him again with her eyes before leaving the bathroom. 

“Mark, where have you been?” Jinyoung reached to him; wrapping his hand around Mark’s waist as soon as he stepped back into the aula.

The gala was much livelier than the recital. People were back to their senses and chatted here and there with a glass of champagne in their hands. Jinyoung said many people who came here were like somebody. They were probably discussing business, charities, or hobbies; maintaining their status in the community. Mark wasn’t really a fit in this crowd, but seeing Jinyoung so excited made him a little better. He didn’t want to ruin it by whining for them to go home so he followed his friend along for support.

Jinyoung talked to many people; older than them or around their age but sound boring as hell. Even Jinyoung sound nothing but hypocritic. He was about to take a drink when someone spoke his name. It was the Miss Son Yeol Um. 

Mark saw Jinyoung stopped talking and gasped upon her entrance. This is the chance to peel him away from the boring crowd. “Miss Son, this is Jinyoung, he’s a big fan of yours.”

“Wow, isn’t your boyfriend a catch?” she said, jokingly but still got him flustered.

“Thank you very much. I admire your work and performances, you really are a music genius.” Jinyoung said, extending his hand for a handshake, his voice almost broke out of nervousness.

“Ah, you flatter me.” She smiled the classic beauty of Korean woman. 

She then talked about Mark’s heroic action. Jinyoung was amazed but didn’t look surprised at all. He kept his hand on Mark’s wrist while talking about how kind of a guy Mark was. It was so embarrassing yet Mark liked hearing it from Jinyoung, so much so he didn’t realize they had moved on from the topic. 

When Miss Son was about to leave, Jinyoung’s lips pressing hard as he could hardly took his eyes off the pianist. Mark knew that was the look when he’s dying to say something but a little too intimidated by the situation. The current version of Jinyoung didn’t like to take no for an answer. When he didn’t get 100% assurance that he’d make it, he’s not gonna do it at all.

“Ah, Miss Son, Jinyoung has something to ask you.”

Jinyoung was taken a back, but Mark held the back of his waist, reassuring him it was fine. 

“I am on my final semester of my journalistic study. I was wondering if you might have time for an interview with me before going back to the US. For my assignment.”  He spoke confidently, articulating every word.

“Yeah, sure.” She signaled her assistant to give Jinyoung her card. “Arrange the meeting with my manager, I’ll make some time for you. As you seem like a bright youngman and a reward for your boyfriend's heroic action.” She winked at Mark before leaving.

Jinyoung couldn’t contain his happiness, he thanked the lady several more times even after she disappeared. Before Mark could tell him to stop, he was pulled into a hug. Then a hand held the back of his head as Jinyoung pressed their foreheads together, laughing like a kid. And Mark felt content just because of that. 

 

Jinyoung was a strong drinker but once he got drunk, he turned into a full of hand Jinyoung. Mark had to literally drag him out of the hall; hoping the fresh air could help with his drunken state before he could embarrass himself by talking about Mark’s heroic action again to anyone who’d listen. It wasn’t an easy job considering Jinyoung’s bigger figure but after some struggle, he finally managed to sit him down on the stairs outside. The iresponsible drinker fell asleep right away.

Mark sat down a little lower, trying to catch up with breathing. He watched his surroundings. It was quiet out here, and he felt a lot better. This reminded him to all the nights he had spent taking care of Jinyoung. He had always been a hard worker, but sometimes he overworked himself; staying in the library until very late at night for research while he's too cowardly to do it alone, getting into trouble because he 'stalk' someone that Mark had to bail him out, or feeling frustrated because of a B- so he drank himself in the soju stalls. All of those happened since the first time they met in the orientation.

He turned to Jinyoung and caught the other had been staring at him, a hand supporting his head as he did so. 

“God, baby I love you.” he said, not even hiding his blushing cheeks after having too much champagne.

“I know, you’ve told me for like a dozen time tonight.” Mark replied for like the tenth time.

“Have I?” his eyes widened in a fake shock. “Then I must really love you.”

Silence.

Then they laughed.

Jinyoung reached to his pocket and lit his cigarette. He blew the smoke and it danced in front of his face before the wind blew it. They stayed quiet for a while before Jinyoung talked again. 

“I think it’s nice to be out with you alone like this. We used to do this a lot. Only you and I.” He looked away for the first time, breathing out another smoke. 

Mark hummed, reminiscing his previous thoughts. But  now that Jinyoung spoke about it, it's true that wherever they went, Jaebum had always tagged along. It was fun most of the time, but Jinyoung was right.

“Remember that one night in the apartment when we couldn’t sleep because of our neighbor’s crazy spree?”

Jinyoung laughed, “Yeah, that’s crazy. I almost thought they literally had monkeys jumping on the bed.”

“We went out that night, having ice cream on the way to the hotel.”

“We stayed there for like, how many nights?”

“Almost a week, gee, how could someone has a like that?”

“You never do?”

“You have?”

Jinyoung huffed, “Well for one thing, I’m single.”

“That’s not a reason.” Mark teased.

“Yeah, that’s not the reason.” Jinyoung paused, chukling to himself as he tapped away the ash. “So how is it with Jaebum?”

“Oh he’s fine. I mean sometimes he can go rough but I could never imagine him having crazy spree.”

“Mmh, I was asking about your relationship in general. But okay.”

“Ah…” Mark let the night wind blew the awkwardness away. “Yeah, he’s fine.”

Mark had never talked about his relationship, especially with Jinyoung. After all, the guy didn’t seem to be interested in his love life before. He always had something suddenly came up or a more urgent new topic to talk about whenever the subject emerged. 

“Are you happy with him?”

“Um, I’m not unhappy.”

Jinyoung went silent, only studying him quietly with his black pearl eyes. The eyes which were so clear but emitted a look which were indecipherable. 

“Happier than when you’re with me?” he finally said.

“What kind of question is that?”

He his bottom lip before pressing them together, thinking. “Sometimes I’m just wondering who you like more, Jaebum or me. Who makes you laugh more often or who you miss more when we’re not around.”

“You can’t compare it. He’s my boyfriend and you’re my best friend.”

“Best friend, huh?” Jinyoung took a deep breath, inhaling the last bit of his cigarette. He looked up facing the night sky with his eyes closed, laughing to himself between the smoke he blew. Then he went still, pretty much like an ethereal painting.

Mark was about to move to sit beside him, thinking Jinyoung might had fallen asleep again, but then he opened his mouth again.

“Do you ever think that we could be together?”

Mark stopped his motion, surprised by the question. 

“You’ve known me the longest. You’ve seen me in my best and worst behavior. Did you ever think of me for more than the best friend?”Jinyoung was really wasted and started to talk nonsense. Mark didn’t want to even think about the answer, knowing where it’d lead him. 

“You don’t say anything. I guess this is a dream again.” Jinyoung finally opened his eyes, gazing down on him with those dreamy eyes. “If it is, can I kiss you this time?”

Mark swallowed on his dried throat; feeling his stomach flipped. His face felt warm and he bit his lip, trying to calm himself down. Of course, it should be nice kissing Jinyoung, matter of factly saying. The guy had those pink plump lips anyone would be glad to on. And Mark had to remind himself that Jinyoung was drunk. He's not in his right mind so nothing was said or thought should be taken seriously. Although there’s something about the situation which he found enchanting. As if there’s a part of him, deep inside, which was actually flattered and it tempted him to say all the wrong words.

“I’m gonna get you some water.” 

He stood up but then Jinyoung grabbed his hand, preventing him from going. “I think I need to lie down.”

“Are you okay? Let me take you home.”

“No, I might vomit. Get over here.”

So Mark sat beside him, letting Jinyoung rested his head on his shoulder; snuggling like a puppy, a really big one. Mark stared into the night sky, brushing off weird thoughts from his mind. They sat there quietly. Only the sound of the night wind and the vehicles on the road could be heard. 

“When I introduced you two, I never thought you’d like him,” he heard Jinyoung confessed, quietly but still in an articulated fashion. 

“Why?”

“He’s like too bold for you, too spontaneous, I don’t know.”

Mark bit his lip, thinking about Jaebum. Compared to Jinyoung, Jaebum was a simple man of action who was easier to read. There’s no riddle with him, no code to decipher, no mixed message. He showed what he felt and he said what he thought. It was convenient with him and he enjoyed it. 

“Yeah you’re right. But we managed. I guess the odds are working in our favor.”

Jinyoung went silent again, maybe he fell asleep. But then he said, “I hope one day the odds will be in my favor too.” 

Mark thought for a moment before he responded, “Then it will.”