Final

Chapstick

Every day without fail, Kyungsoo would hand her a tube of chapstick.

She didn't even have to ask and sometimes she wouldn't even notice her chapped lips because he'd notice for her. 

He didn't know why or when it started really, it just became habitual, a common, every day thing that came naturally to him. For the last three years, every morning on his way to school he would run into her and she would already be functioning at 120% talking his ear off at six-thirty in the morning. They'd walk side by side together braving the bitter cold, her going off on some random tangent or lost in recalling a funny moment and him listening contently, sporting a barley there smile. He'd look at her sideways through his peripheral vision as they walked on, gravel and slush crunching beneath their shoes, admiring the brightness in her eyes and her dynamic hand gestures. They'd pass the convenience store that signaled the half way mark to their university and stop for coffee. As she continued to talk while he listened, he would be the one making sure they were walking safely. He would lead them and weave in between the other people bustling about and made sure the crosswalks were safe. And when they reached the final bus stop before the school gates, he would reach down into his pockets for the chapstick and place it into her hand as she strikes a victory pose for successfully shooting her cup into the bin. 

She'd then beam at him and award him with a bright, "Thanks!" 

The chapstick would quickly be swiped across her lips and handed back to him. It disappeared back into his coat pocket as she glances at her watch. Startled by the time, she let out a shriek before bowing to Kyungsoo thanking him profusely for their morning conversation and bid him goodbye as she ran off towards the classrooms. 

And as always, He would chuckle while watching her frantically flail forwards until she would turn around waving her arms up over her head to give him the biggest and brightest smile yelling, "See you at lunch!"

 


 

When lunch came around they would meet at the cafeteria. Claiming their seats on the blue shelled tables they'd be lost in conversation once more; and like always she would be going full throttle while Kyungsoo listened. He listened and began placing out their utensils, opening the water bottle caps, and setting out napkins. She would tell him about her English Professor and how once again he failed to recognize the beauty of free prose and the freedom of run on sentences. He would nod to show he was on her side and she would move on to what her desk mates were doing in class and any other anecdote that happened to make her laugh or smile. Chopsticks would soon be gently pushed into her hand as Kyungsoo continued to nod, showing he was listening. They would eat and he would occasionally glare at her to slow down, to breath, and probably finish the food in before talking to avoid choking. In which she would respond with a smile, her cheeks stuffed with rice and an assortment of banchan before shrugging sheepishly to take a swig of water and he'd laugh and fill her in on how his morning went, placing more pieces of grilled meat into her bowl as he recalled interesting moments in his philosophy class. She'd laugh at the antics of his classmates and the frivolous topics the class would throw at the professor, obviously only to egg on more story telling rather than teaching. 

Kyungsoo would continue to replenish her bowl until they were done eating and exchanging details of their morning classes. Then she would break out a small pile of sweets for them to share for dessert. He would pop a few candies into his mouth before standing up to clear the table and she would fuss over him doing all the work and so they would bring their dirtied dishes back together. Before parting once more, He would reach down into his pockets for the chapstick and hand it off to her. And again she would smile at him brightly and wave goodbye, only to turn around again to say, "See you after class!" 

 


 

After class the pair would meet at the front of the school gates. She would be gasping for air from running because she would always arrive later than Kyungsoo did. They would ask each other about their afternoons before stopping at the bus station. If there was room on the bench the pair would sit together and wait for their respective busses to arrive. Hers was number 52 and his was number 25. She worked in the upper part of town while he worked in the heart of downtown. She would continue sharing her stories with him while they waited. Kyungsoo would note how reenergized he was because of her presence. How she was so energetic he would never know, nor posses the ability to do so. When the busses arrive, and Hers always arrived first, he would stand with her and walk her towards the door. She would give him a quick hug goodbye and return the chapstick before flying through the doors with a, "see you tomorrow!" 

Sometimes they would wait for the busses for thirty minutes depending on their classes. On the days that they were left waiting, her shoulders would quiver but she would never say anything. She'd continue whatever conversation they would be having with her arms crossed and hands shoved into the sleeves. Kyungsoo had noticed her habit of forgoing gloves during the winter. To remedy this, he would pull out the thermos of hot water he always has and hand it to her. She'd smile gratefully and bear hug it, her hands sliding back into the sleeves as the conversation continued. 

 

Today was one of the waiting days. 

He noticed her bare hands and made a mental note to get her a pair over the weekend. It was bitterly cold today. The peak of Winter had arrived and the skies were grey. She was staring out at the traffic before them, her eyes twinkling, lost in thought. Kyungsoo hummed and brought his wool covered hands together on his lap. He shrugged down into his scarf hoping to feel more warmth. He had checked his watch right when they sat down and noticed that there was still a good thirty-five minutes before their busses would arrive. He tilted his head to look at her discreetly, eyeing her profile between the rims of his glasses. She was beautiful. Dark haired and fair with rosy cheeks thanks to the cold. She wore a naturally confident expression when she wasn't talking or doing anything in particular. She looked strong and proud, an independent and capable woman. He smiled knowing that she was content in her own skin. It was getting colder by the minute and Kyungsoo wondered if this meant the arrival of snow. He was about to ask her opinion of the imminent weather when a smile spread across her face.

 

"Snow!" She exclaimed happily. 

Kyungsoo marveled at her childlike wonder before snapping out of it when he heard a small "mtsmkk sssss" noise and an even smaller, "ow."

He turned to look at her fully and saw her nose crinkling as she frowned. She held a hand up to her lips and pulled away revealing a small bright dot of red. Her lips were dry and had cracked upon her sudden smile. Kyungsoo moved fast and knelt down in front of her and held her hand with his. He wiped the red away with a tissue and placed the tube of chapstick in her hand. She eyed him wordlessly but with a smile and curled her fingers over the tube of chapstick.

"You're very prepared you know?" She whispered.

Kyungsoo glanced up at her, smiled and said, "I learned to be because of you." 

She cocked her head in question and he continued with , "you make it easy to want to look out for you. I like being able to do so."

Her cheeks pinked at his words and broke her gaze to look away from his eyes.

"I'm not a child, Kyungsoo." She said.

"I know." He replied.

She cleared , a question began to form in her mind. 

"Then what's all this about looking out for me?" She asked, a hint of want in her tone. 

Kyungsoo looked at the woman before him. He took in her features and thought about how much he cared for her. 

"I care about you, very much so, and every day that we're together I realize how strong and hard working you are. However, with these last few years, I've also noticed how nonchalant you are with yourself. You're always so focused that sometimes I feel that maybe you forget to take care of yourself. It's no harm to yourself, it's just how you are, but it's made me want to take care of you. I want to, I like being able to care for you in small discreet ways. It may not be noticeable but every time I'm able to make you smile or help keep you healthy and safe, you in turn look genuinely happy with me being around. I'm rather fond of you, of your bubbly personality and warmth towards others, of your bright energizing spirit, of your loyalty to your friends and family, and of your tenacity and perseverance to overcome any and all obstacles in your way. When you're out there facing the world, you act invincible, like nothing can touch you or hurt you but I've seen you get hurt. I've seen you withdraw into your shell and how long it takes for you to come out. I realize you don't need saving, you're no damsel in distress, but I want you to know that you'll never have to go through anything alone. For all the years I've known you now, it's easy for me to look out for you in ways to make sure that you're up and about. Continuing to provide this world with light and good is something you do unknowingly and without fail. So I just want to be there, helping in ways to ensure your happiness. Even if it is just saving your dry lips every winter."

 

She stared bemusedly at Kyungsoo, a little shocked but giddy from his speech. 

She let out a giggle and said, "You are a strange, strange, goofball Kyungsoo. But a great one. I'm really grateful to have you in my life. You haven't really done much but in my eyes, all the little things you do mean more to me than anything else in this world. So, thanks, for watching over me and my chapped lips." 

 

Kyungsoo laughed at her response and gently nudged her closed hand. 

"Better start saving them chapped lips then. And hydrate more often dammit. You talk a lot." He teased. 

She gasped at him and whacked him on his shoulder, "I do not!"

Kyungsoo laughed at her whine and reached out for both her hands. He took the tube of chapstick and uncapped it, twisting up the chapstick. He gently cupped her face and applied it to her lips lightly. She stilled beneath his touch as he traced the chapstick over her lips once more. He dropped his hand away from her face and leaned in, "there, all better now. It won't hurt anymore."

They were close together now. She stared at the boy in front of her and got bashful under his tender gaze. He was so handsome and so sweet and so warm. She saw that his gaze was still transfixed on her lips and blushed when he looked into her eyes.

His eyes were bright and filled with a tender sort of emotion. His hand cupping her face was warm and welcoming against the harsh winter air and the snow drifting down around them. Her gaze didn't break from his, and she wondered if this time, maybe this time, he would lean in and close the space between them. 

Her gaze moved subconsciously down to his lips, they were always smooth and pink and heart shaped, always so happy and comforting when he smiled or laughed. She hadn't been looking at his lips for more than a few milliseconds before Kyungsoo noticed.

The next moment felt like a dream for the both of them. Kyungsoo caught her gaze, his heart rushed with joy at the thought of his feelings being returned and he leaned in, fully closing the gap.

She closed her eyes as soon as his lips were on hers, the first contact so gentle and so soft, so cautious until her body reacted on its own, kissing him back, feeling relieved and happy and excited all at once. The kiss was so gentle and his plump lips were so delicate as he pulled closer, deepening the kiss ever so slightly as their lips moved and moulded together. Finally the two pulled away for a breath, leaning against each other's foreheads before eyes opened and the two smiled at each other. 

"I guess all this chapstick will end up having more than one use, huh." She said playfully.

Kyungsoo laughed, his lips turning into a heart as he bellowed out more joyful noise. 

"What can I say? I came prepared."

 

 

 

 

 


Annnnndddd here it isssssssss~ 

I hope you liked it. I feel like maybe he wouldn't have said as much in real life but he would probably have similar sentiments about the one he loves. 

His smile is just so cute! fluffy! squishy! 

I mean look at him!