Not “Nothing Special” but “Some”

Growing Closer; Loving More

AN: I rewrote this to reference JCW's vlog

 

 

It was cool in the cafe but both Nam Ji-hyun and Kim Yoo-Jung chose cold drinks.  They smiled when the young girl who brought their drinks shyly asked for their signatures. Both of them had been in the industry for such a long time but it was still nice to interact with their fans.

“Did this happen a lot when you were at school?” Yoo-jung asked. She had a bright look today and she couldn’t stop smiling but something about the way she kept looking around made Ji-hyun think that she was anxious.

“No,” she laughed. Ji-hyun didn’t yet know why her fellow actress had messaged her and asked her for a drink, but was happy to wait. She didn’t believe in pushing people, preferring them to talk in their own time. “Only a couple of times. But I dont think that they recognised me.”

“Eonnie you are so pretty. Of coursed they did. Maybe they were shy.”

“Hahaha! Oh no. I dont think so. I like that. I like not being recognised.”

“It must be difficult to go on dates then...” smirked the younger woman.

Ji-hyun knew she must look surprised. It was a bold thing to imply. Dangerous when she didn’t know Yoo-jung very well... especially since Chang-wook had just been her costar. 

“What do you mean?”

“If you dated someone more famous? It would be hard to date...”

“Of course. If you are a celebrity people will always recognise you. Why did you ask?”

“You and Chang-wook sunbaenim...”

“What about my past,” she emphasised the word. “Costar are you talking about?”

“Hypothetically, if you dated him, it would be difficult to date without people knowing.”

Ji-hyun frowned. Yoo-jung was making her feel uncomfortable by talking about Chang-wook but at the same time she didnt look like she was trying to put Ji-hyun in a difficult position where she would have to comment on her dating life. Orabeoni had already said in his vlog that there was “nothing special” when his hyung asked if he was dating. Of course “nothing special” wasn’t denying the fact that there the two of them were definitely “Some”. It was still very new. Their friendship had been changing slowly. The fun flirting from Suspicious Partner had mellowed while he had been serving in the military. Then they had been busy with work, and for her school. It was only recently— after dinner with stylist-eonnie— that they had started to... what was it? There had been a glance while Chi-gu had been telling a story about his first ever date when he was in high school. Everyone had been laughing when she caught him looking at her. They had started laughing even harder. Her face had hurt with how much she smiled and laughed that evening. And then he’d sent her a message asking if she had gotten home safe. Some... there was nothing else to call it. Nothing special but something that could be special. Which is why she could answer so clearly.

“I’ve never dated.”

“Omo! Seriously?”

“Yes.”

Yoo-jung sat back into her seat. “Aish, i wanted your advice.”

“My advice?”

“I thought that you were... dating...” she hedged. “Because i need advice.”

“I dont think i can help.”

Yoo-jung grabbed her hand and squeezed it tight. A small frown creased her forehead. “Please Eonnie!”

“Tell me—“ Ji-hyun started.

“I really like this guy and he isn’t a celebrity and i think he likes me too but we want to be quiet because i don’t want him to leave because if my fans find out they might be mad,” she said in a rush. Yoo-jung threw her face into the table, banging her head a couple of times.

“Shhh! It is okay! Don’t hit your head!”

“But eonnie!”

“Where did you meet him?”

“A convenience store! I bought ice! He is so handsome!”

Ji-hyun blinked. She was completely taken aback. The globally know actress sitting across from her had liked a part-timer working at a convenience store?

“Part-timer?” She asked just to make sure she had heard correctly.

“Eonnie!” She whined. “What am i going to do?! I took the part because i  could then go and ask him about the part. Do you think he will accept my confession?”

This is the twilight zone, Ji-hyun decided. In what world did this make sense? No world.

“What is his name?” She felt she needed to ask something while she gathered her thoughts.

“Kim Min-soo. It is...”

“Kim Min-soo?” Ji-hyun asked. No way it could be that Kim Min-soo... he would never work in a convenience store... her classmate would never do that. His parents were wealthy. He was destined to take over their company. Still... you could never be too safe. “Do you have a picture?”

“Omo,” she jumped in her seat when she saw it was her classmate. “Uhhh... he is...”

“Not handsome, I know. But when he smiles I get butterflies. Do feel like that with Chang-wook sunbaenim? Does he just brighten your day? Make everything happy even when you are stressed?”

Ji-hyun nodded without realising it. He did do all those things. But it wasn’t a big thing. Just little moments. How he messaged her asking about her day... I like him, she realised. Not the fun teasing liking from when they worked together. Instead it was like he had slipped into her world. Fitting like a puzzle piece.

“Yoo-jung-ah. I think you should confess. With...” she tried to remember what Min-soo liked. “Chocolate covered strawberries.”

“Thank you!”the younger girl jumped up and fell into Ji-hyun’s arms. They hugged for a minute and then pullled apart.

 

On her way home, she shook her head at Min-soo’s audacity to be an undercover chaebol. When Yoo-jung found out she was going to go crazy. Even more so when she saw what a messy eater he was. At least he would be able to take her places that would be private. 

 

But more than that she thought about her and orabeoni... she picked up her phone and typed a quick message to him. 

 

“Would you like something more than “nothing special” with me?”

 

 She hit send and then hid her phone. She would see if he responded tomorrow.