P R O M I S E S

Promises.

It was the twilight of eight of April, year 2021. A bit cloudy, but that did not stop her from coming back to that place. She needed to come back. She needed to talk to her, maybe for the very last time. Minju wore her usual black pants and polo shirt that matched her light skin and small body. She always wore those every time she came from church although this night was different. “Nope, I’m not gonna cry.” she told herself as she brushed her hair using her fingers. Yujin was there, sitting, still being amazed by everything her lover does. She was wearing her office clothes with her favorite scarf. Both of them looked at the dark sky, reminiscing old times.

 

April 7, 2012 6:17 A.M.

 

The sun was up, and the sky was clear early in that morning. Yujin woke up late, and she came rushing because it’s only a matter of time before the bus leaves. Gladly, she was able to enter the bus in time. The bus was full of students from a nearby school. It was loud and chaotic and there was only one seat empty. Yujin immediately went to the vacant seat and beside her was a quiet, serious lady reading her book with earphones on. “Hi miss!” Yujin said to the lady, but the lady ignored her. “That girl is really a snob.” one student said. “! No! No! No!” the lady shouted. “Woah, are you okay? What happened?” Yujin asked.

 

“Oh, Hi! It’s just that... my phone lagged all of a sudden. Sorry.”

 

“Wait, let me try to help you.”

 

The lady willingly gave her phone to Yujin. After a few minutes, Yujin was able to fix her phone.

 

“Thank you very much. Here… have some chocolate. It’s mint though.”

 

“Oh... no it’s okay. You can make me eat a frog but never mint chocolates.”

 

“You’re funny. By the way, I’m Minju.”

 

“oh… I’m Yujin.”

 

“Let me guess… you were messaging someone when the phone lagged? That’s why you panicked?”

 

“Nope. I was just listening to music.”

 

“Oh… so music is the culprit then.”

 

“Well, yeah. It’s a small dream of mine to become a singer so… can’t live without it. Sadly, my phone is on the verge of giving up so every day is a struggle.”

 

“Okay then. I’ll help you fix your phone anytime for free.”

 

“Don’t worry. This is probably the last time since I’ll buy a new phone soon but thanks for the offer.”

 

“What a pity.”

They spent that day talking and laughing about their lives. They both had a good time until the trip was over.

 

 

“Gosh, Yujin. I missed you so much.” Minju said

 

“I miss you too Minju. A lot. We were so happy then right?”

 

“We were so happy then. If only we could bring back those times.”

 

“If only we can Minju. If only.”

 

“Especially when you confessed. Oh my god Yuj, you were so cute!”

 

Minju and Yujin had a long and fun friendship. They ate together, went home together, and they agreed in almost everything. Yujin knew she liked Minju, but she was so afraid to say it. She was only able to confess her feelings when…

“Hi Minju! Good Morning!”

“Yujin, Is it true?”

“What is?”

“That you actually like me.”

“I mean, you’re my friend. Of course I like you.”

“Not that ‘like’ Yujin. You clearly know what I mean”

“Where did that even come from?”

“Yes or No?”

“Come on Minju…”

“Yes or No?!”

“Fine! YES! I do like you!”

“Okay.” Then Minju laughed.

“Ah… So? What does that even mean?”

“What? Are you waiting for me to say something? It should be you who should say things. Not me.”

“Fine. I don’t know when or how… but there’s one thing I’m certain of- I will do anything for you. I will give the world to you. I will snatch that moon. I will reach for the stars. I will chop wood. Get water from the well. Anything. I PROMISE.”

“Your promises Yujin, I will never forget those promises and how you kept them all.” Minju muttered.

 

“You brought me a ing world map because you promised to give the world to me.” Minju added and laughed.

 

“Yes. Then I stole Moon Jae In’s picture in a print shop because I promised I would snatch the moon for you. Had to pay for it though since I was scared.”

 

“And then you bought a freaking star margarine because you promised to reach for the stars.”

 

“I also chopped wood and got water from the well. I just needed a little help from you.” Yujin said and laughed.

 

“That was a hell of a relationship Yujin. Those were the happiest moments of my life.”

 

“But everything changed when we got married. I wasn’t able to keep the most important promises.”

 

“For better or for worse”

 

“I always left the house when things got hard for us.”

 

“In sickness and in health.”

 

“I wasn’t by your side every time you were in pain.”

 

“For richer or for poorer.”

 

“I blamed everything to you when our finances got unstable.”

 

“Ah!” Minju was trying to hold back her tears.

 

“I tried to fix it but…”

 

“I got so tired of everything Yujin. Things were just too toxic.”

 

“Remember the last time we talked before everything that happened… happened?” Yujin asked as she remembered that moment.

 

April 8, 2018

It was 1:11 midnight but Yujin can’t focus on her work. She was restless. They fought earlier, and she knew she wouldn’t be able to work if they hadn’t talked so she called Minju. Gladly, in the 3rd attempt, Minju picked up. “Hello, Babe? Can we talk?” Yujin asked.

“I don’t know Yujin. Can’t we just do that tomorrow? I really want to rest. Please.”

“Please, Minju. I only need a minute. I won’t be at peace until we fix this.”

“Yujin, it’s pretty late. Let’s just do this tomorrow… Okay?”

“Are you home?”

“Yes.”

“I’m on my way…”

Yujin looked at Minju and smiled. Then she asked her “Do you miss the past? The old us?” There was silence all over the place. She chuckled as she remembered the harsh reality “I forgot. You don’t even know I’m here.” Then she smiled bitterly while looking at her. “I really hated that day”

 

April 8, 2018 2:13 A.M.

While on her way to Minju, A tall man approached Yujin and showed a gun.

“Hey. Give me your phone!”

“Come on… this is all I have.”

“That necklace! Give me that!”

“But… this is for my wife.”

“I don’t ing care! Just give me that!”

“Here… it’s yours.”

Yujin gave her phone to the man but ran with the necklace.

“Aish!” the man shouted and gun shots ringed in that silent night. Then all Yujin saw was darkness, and all she heard was silence.

Minju composed herself and tried to hold back her tears. “I’m sorry but I need to do this. I need to let go and move on with my life Yujin. I’m never gonna forget you, I’m always gonna love you but I have to do this for myself. I’m really sorry.” She stood up, looked at that special bench for the very last time and told herself “Bye Yujin.” She walked away but Yujin was still looking at her. Yujin stood up and walked to the opposite direction then she saw a familiar face.

“Hey kid! How was your date?” the young guy asked. The guy looked like he is in his late 20’s, tall and buff. “Sir, I think it’s time” Yujin answered. “Why? Isn’t it your 3rd wedding anniversary today?” the guy asked.

 

“Yeah, but I think she wants to move forward now. She said she needed to let go.”

 

“Come on. Don’t think of leaving too. I’ve been dead for 13 years but I still am here for my wife.”

 

“Sir, do you remember the last vow in a wedding?”

 

“What?”

 

Until death do us part. Death has separated us for too long, Sir.”

 

“You said you promised not to leave her.”

 

“Yes, but I suddenly remembered the last promise I made before I died.” Then the memory of that night came back again.

 

“Please, Minju. I only need a minute. I won’t be at peace until we fix this.”

“Yujin, it’s pretty late. Let’s just do this tomorrow… Okay?”

“Are you home?”

“Yes.”

“I’m on my way…”

“Yujin, please.”

“Minju. One last chance. I love you so much and whatever happens, I will give you everything you want.”

“And?”

“Her eyes. I know I can stay if I want to but her eyes… I can see it in her eyes that she really wants to let go. She wants to forget all the pain and move on. I want to keep at least my last promise- to give her everything she wants, even if it no longer includes me.”

“Are you sure about this?”

“Yeah.”

“Then take care. They said it’s peaceful in heaven. All the pain vanishes.”

“Thanks Sir, for everything.”

“You’re welcome. I admire your bravery kid.”

“See you soon Sir.”

“Bye.”

“So this is it. The goodbye.” A very bright light came towards Yujin. She smiled and never looked back while approaching the light. “I kept my last promise Minju.” Yujin's last words, then the light was gone. It was past five already, and the sun rose again in that beautiful bay.