We're all different, yet the same

We're all different, yet the same

~Two girls in love~

~Not easy, but not uncommon~

 

Bora folds the shirt, fingers sliding across the soft material. The hospital bustles around her, but she doesn't notice. 

 

The long week has left her exhausted, physically and emotionally. 

 

Two young nurses enter the room. One starts to make the bed while the other adjusts the furniture. The smaller one looks at Bora with sympathy. "Are you a relative of Ms Kim Minji?" 

 

Bora barely comprehends the question. She takes a moment, then nods mechanically, like she's forgotten how to move her body. "Yes," she replies, voice barely audible.

 

"May I ask how you're related?" The nurse opens the window. Bora looks up, getting a view of the sunrise. 

 

It gives her a sense of deja vu. 

 

~In a shared bed~

~Making life interesting~

 

The sunrise beamed through the window, blinding Bora. She groaned, trying to pull the blanket over her head. 

 

A heavy weight fell across her body. The familiar scent of vanilla and home encased her in a bubble of warmth. "I told you to close the curtains," Bora murmured from beneath a pile of blankets and girlfriend. It was suffocating, but in a good way. 

 

Minji pulled Bora tighter against her. "I was distracted," she murmured, voice raspy with sleep. A shiver ran down Bora's spine and she was blushing even before Minji started to giggle. "You're so cute," Minji cooed, trying to turn Bora over. 

 

Embarrassed and enraged, Bora kicked a leg over Minji, straddling her waist. The heavy duvet falls over the edge of the bed, revealing their bare bodies to the cool morning air. 

 

Bora leaned down, lips ghosting over Minji's. The taller woman was frozen in surprise and anticipation. Bora smirked, feeling the hot breaths fan across her face. Then, she dragged her lips along Minji's face to a soft ear. "I think you need another distraction," she husked. 

 

The next thing she knew, Bora was on her back. Maybe leaving the curtains open wasn't always a bad thing. 

 

~If it's like that, let it be like that~

~Even if it's different, so what~

 

Bora ran alongside the gurney. Her hand was in Minji's unmoving one, squeezing like her life depended on it.

 

Tears of worry streamed down her face. She wanted to beg Minji to stay with me and don't you dare leave me, but she could barely breathe as it is.  

 

Minji was wheeled into a room and the doctors started to draw the curtains. 

 

"Madam, please wait outside."

 

Bora looked up, eyes wide, silently begging. 

 

"I understand," the doctor reassured her. Bora stuttered, not knowing what to say, how to say it. She took a glance at the woman, wrinkled face pale. A helpless whine left her as she was helplessly ushered out. "It won't be long," he promised. 

 

Bora found a chair somewhere close. She sank into the plastic seat, terror gripping at . She had never believed in a higher being, but as she sat in the hospital waiting room, all she could do was beg every single deity to save her partner. 

 

"Please," she whispered, fingers digging into her thighs. 

 

~We are all searching~

~For the one we love~

 

They watched the night sky from the top of Bora's apartment. Fingers laced, heads pressed together, hearts beating as one. 

 

The night was clear, revealing a sky full of stars. They beamed down on the pair, like a million, twinkling angels. "I've never seen so many stars before," Bora murmured. 

 

"That's because you live in the city," Minji said. "One day, when we're older, let's move to the countryside, where we can look at the stars every night."

 

Bora smiled. Minji had such a childlike view of the world. "You'd move to the countryside for me?" 

 

She meant it as a tease. But Minji made a habit of taking her jokes seriously. She turned to Bora, expressive eyes boring into her soul. "I'd do anything for you."

 

Bora forgot how to breathe. Minji made her so useless sometimes. Bora's gaze dropped to Minji's parted lips, pink and soft-looking. She gulped, hoping her friend didn't realise. 

 

Oh, but she definitely did. A pink tongue poked out of , a wet stripe across her lip. 

 

Bora leaned in, or maybe Minji did. Neither of them cared. Not when soft lips were pressed together in a sweet kiss. 

 

~Age old controversy~

~Why must the world make it so difficult~

 

The doctor approached Bora, clipboard in hand. Bora shot out of her seat, watching him with wide eyes. 

 

He spoke calmly and slowly, explaining the situation to Bora. Surgery. She needs surgery to live. "There are several consent forms required before we can start the surgery. May I ask what your relationship is to the patient?"

 

Bora replied instinctively. "We are friends." The doctor grew hesitant and Bora quickly added. "Really good friends." Her panic only grew when the doctor gave her a sympathetic look. "We've been living together for 30 years. I am the closest person to her," she pleaded. 

 

The doctor looked away. Bora knew she was fighting a losing battle. "As long as she has living family members, I still need their consent."

 

"Please," Bora begged, her eyes burning with tears she refused to shed. "Please."

 

"It is hospital regulation," the doctor said. Bora's gaze fell to the ground. "There's nothing I can do."

 

She looked away, speechless at the unfairness of the situation. Her lover was dying and she couldn't even sign stupid piece of paper to save her. 

 

The doctor left her alone, urging her to call Minji's family. 

 

I am her family, she thought. 

 

~We're all different, yet the same~

~We all have our challenges~

~We're all different, and the same~

~We separate and reunite~

 

She was dragged into the bathroom. The moment the door slammed shut, Bora turned to cast a glare at the taller woman. 

 

"Bora, please," Minji begged. 

 

She ignored how even now, Bora could feel the tug in her chest. No, she had to stay strong. "Please what?" She snapped, throwing her hands in the air. "You've already made your choice," she snarled. 

 

Minji's tearing up, her eyes shimmering. It was entirely her fault they were like this. But she looked so beautiful. Devastatingly so. A part of Bora wanted to hold her and tell her it's okay... but she couldn't. 

 

Bora gave her one last chance. Every second that ticked by without a word left a deeper crack in her heart.

 

A minute passed, and Bora steeled her gaze. She left a trail of her shattered heart as she stalked out of the party. 

 

~Everyone has their everlasting love~

~Everyone has their tender home~

~Oh, love is not abstract faith~

~It is blood and sweat~

 

There was a knock at her door. Bora grunted, pulling herself off the couch. It'd been several days since she showered, but she couldn't bring herself to care. 

 

The knocking grew more aggressive, almost pounding at her door. She could barely hear the pouring rain. Bora snatched the door open, annoyed at ready to shout. 

 

Her voice died in . 

 

There Minji stood, dripping wet in a ruined white gown, makeup pouring down her face. "I couldn't do it," she breathed, chest heaving like she'd run a marathon. A pair of white heels clutched in her hand, dark hair matted to her face. She was the embodiment of a fallen angel. 

 

Bora stared at her, wide-eyed. For the first time in months, she felt her heart beat again. "What?" She asked, cautious. She didn't want to get her hopes up to be shot down again. She'd barely survived the first time. 

 

"I… I couldn't say it. It wasn't right. I can't- it's you," Minji's entire body was shaking. But Bora couldn't let her in. Not yet. She held Minji's gaze, waiting. "It's always been you. I can't walk down the aisle if it isn't you."

 

That was all she needed. Bora closed the gap between their lips, plastering her smaller frame to Minji's wet one. Their first kiss in months was salty and all kinds of wet, but it didn't matter. It didn't matter because it was her. 

 

Nothing had ever felt more right. 

 

~Growing old together~

~Leaving behind a different kind of inheritance~

 

Bora called every single person related to Minji. Her mother, father, brother. Nothing. 

 

It filled her with rage, knowing that her 'family' who had turned their back on her were more important than she was. It wasn't right. It wasn't fair. 

 

She kept going through Minji's contacts. The world was desperate to take Minji from her. Bora refused to let go without a fight. 

 

~To love someone to the end~

~How much courage does one need~

 

They moved to another city, away from their past. To start anew. It wasn't the star-filled sky they dreamed of, but it was good. 

 

Minji got a job at a bakery, and Bora taught a dance class. They met a few friends, adopted a white pomeranian named Cherry. They were happy. 

 

Their friends often questioned their relationship. They'd share a glance. "We're best friends," Bora would say. Their friends never looked convinced. 

 

And they considered coming clean. But they'd remember their past. Old friends and family who turned their backs. And they decided it was better this way. 

 

Living in fear of being found out. Hiding who you really are. It was tiring. But they had each other. And the comfort of the home they built together, the family they built together. 

 

It was enough. 

 

~A different kind of love crystallised~

~By the simplicity of romance~

 

Kim Yoohyeon rushed into the hospital. 

 

Minji's niece. The only one who answered Bora's call for help. 

 

Bora watched Yoohyeon sign the consent form. A process that took less than a minute. It took Bora hours to find the girl. 

 

She looked away from the form. Minji could get the surgery she needed. It shouldn't matter who signed the forms. 

 

Bora sighed. 

 

Yoohyeon gave her a tight lipped smile. She didn't stay. They weren't close anyway, despite Minji being her aunt. She never got the chance to meet her. Her parents made sure of that.  

 

Maybe after all this, Minji and Yoohyeon could get to know each other. 

 

Bora thanked the girl, promising to give her updates. 

 

~Who is more satisfied~

~Who will compare~

 

She's just waiting now. Bora sat by Minji's bedside, tracing her face like it wasn't already ingrained in her memory. 

 

Bora's waited months before. She could wait a little for Minji to wake up. 

 

She slipped her hand into Minji's motionless one. 

 

Their friends drop by, trying to get Bora to eat or sleep. She made a note to take them out for dinner once Minji woke up.

 

She was sitting by her bed on the sixth day. It's become routine by now. Bora got lost in Minji's face, the sounds of the hospital disappearing. Until a spike in the beeping drew her attention. 

 

"Minji?" Bora called. The rapid beeping ended with a flat note, void of all life. "No." Her world was starting to crumble. The hand in hers was still warm. This isn't real. 

 

~There's no need for forgiveness~

~Just let us be moved forever~

 

"Bora?" 

 

Everything was quiet. Bora could barely see Minji's body, surrounded by nurses. She turned. 

 

And there she stood. In a wedding dress, a smile on her face. She held out her hand, eyes squinting into crescent moons. 

 

Bora took it, blindly following her out of the hospital room. She was so blinded by her love for the woman beside her, she didn't even realise they were walking down the aisle. 

 

This was the day they had planned for their whole life. Surrounded by the people they loved, sharing their love with the world, open and proud. 

 

Bora marvelled at the beauty that is her bride, beaming down at her like the morning sun. 

 

Minji raised one of Bora's small hands. "I'll be with you," she promised, love in her eyes. She slipped a ring onto her finger, never once looking away. "Forever and always."

 

"Forever and always."

 

~Gods aren't sacred~

~Unlike the faith called love~

~Who's to say~

 

"May I ask how you're related?"

 

Bora looks up at the sunrise. A lifetime of sunshine smiles flashes through her head. 

 

She smiles. 

 

"She's my wife."