With A Little Help From My Friends

With A Little Help From My Friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone was supposed to meet at Nayeon, Jihyo, and Tzuyu's shared apartment before leaving for their camping trip. The sun had yet to rise and the girls were still half asleep; but if they wanted to make the most of their trip, they all knew that they needed to leave early. 

 

This was their yearly tradition. And every year, they looked forward to getting away from the city (away from their jobs) to enjoy a weekend with each other and mother nature. 

 

Five years of friendship and still counting.

 

To be fair, they all started out as friends but as the years passed, some friendships blossomed into something more. Mina and Jeongyeon were the first to get together. It was awkward at first, but everyone got used to it eventually. No one was surprised when Jihyo and Tzuyu announced that they were a couple later in that same year. And it wasn't long until Momo and Chaeyoung both found partners outside of their friend group. 

 

The only ones who remained single the whole time were Nayeon, Dahyun, and Sana. 

 

But regardless of relationship status, their friendships never waned. Their bonds only got stronger and stronger.

 

Jeongyeon and Mina were the first to arrive at the apartment. As soon as Nayeon opened the door for them, the punctual couple immediately made themselves at home and plopped down on the couch together.

 

"You two are way too early," Nayeon huffed angrily, heading towards her room to finish whatever it was she was doing.

 

"Hello to you too," mumbled Mina, "And we aren't early. We all agreed to leave by 5 AM. That's in 30 minutes!"

 

"Don't mind her, babe. She's just jealous!" Jeongyeon shouted so Nayeon could hear. 

 

She then nuzzled into Mina's neck and closed her eyes. As one of the two designated drivers, Jeongyeon needed to stay awake for the five-hour drive up to the lake. She wanted to get more sleep, so she was definitely going to savor every ounce of shut-eye she could get before they set off.

 

"Where are Jihyo and Tzuyu?" Mina asked.

 

Nayeon popped her head out of her room to reply, "Probably still in the shower." She glared at Jeongyeon who had stuck her tongue out at her. Nayeon quickly closed her door shut.

 

Jeongyeon and Mina were all alone in the living room, but not for long.

 

The doorbell rang a few minutes later and Nayeon, with a sudden burst of energy, came running out of her room, almost tripping over herself to get to the door. Jeongyeon and Mina rolled their eyes. They knew the reason behind Nayeon's sudden change in demeanor. 

 

Someone had to be at the door. 

 

And just as the pair had expected, Dahyun walked in sluggishly carrying hers and Sana's bags. The older girl had told her to bring their bags up because she needed to go park her car at the garage. Sana drove the previous year so she didn't need to do it this year.

 

"Good morning, sleepyhead!" Nayeon said brightly, ruffling Dahyun's hair as she walked by.

 

Dahyun nodded her head and mumbled a sound that probably meant hello. She dropped the bags by the coffee table and then beelined for the other unoccupied couch where there was still plenty of room for her to lie down. She dove face-first into the cushions.

 

Nayeon followed her like a pup. "Do you want some breakfast?" she asked, pouting her lips a little bit.

 

Dahyun turned her head and smiled like an innocent child. "Yes, please."

 

"Come with me to the kitchen, I'll make you food." Nayeon held out her hand for Dahyun to take.

 

"Mmm kay…"

 

Throughout the whole exchange, Jeongyeon and Mina watched as Nayeon pampered the younger girl, wondering what they'd ever done to not get the same treatment. 

 

Jeongyeon groaned and sunk back into the couch.

 

"Where was that energy for us?" Mina whispered to her girlfriend who was already leaning her head onto her shoulder.

 

With her eyes still closed, Jeongyeon laughed. "Please...I think we both knew this was coming."

 

It was true. They did both suspect that Nayeon and Dahyun had some unspoken feelings for one another. They just never said it out loud. 

 

A while later, Sana came through the front door and announced her presence but no one greeted her. She saw Jeongyeon and Mina on the couch and giggled. They looked dead tired and had fallen asleep.

 

"We do this every year. You would think we'd get the hang of it by now, but it's still always a struggle." Sana sat where Dahyun previously was. 

 

"Nothing changes," Mina added groggily. She opened her eyes to greet Sana with a smile.

 

"Well...maybe it should," Jeongyeon chimed in, pointing at the two people laughing in the kitchen.

 

"Huh?" Sana raised a brow. "What do you mean?"

 

Before Jeongyeon could respond, Jihyo and Tzuyu popped into the living room. "Good morning, ladies! We thought we heard voices out here. Are we ready to leave?" Jihyo asked cheerfully.

 

"Momo and Chaeng aren't even here yet. Let me sleep," Jeongyeon replied, waving the other girl off.

 

Mina furrowed her brows. "How do you have energy this early, Jihyo?"

 

"We just took a shower. It was great." 

 

Tzuyu blushed when she heard Jihyo say that.

 

"Didn't need that in my head," Mina groaned. "I should have just shut up."

 

"Well, you did ask!" Jihyo teased, "So, what's going on out here? What's new?" 

 

"Apparently that." Sana gestured towards the kitchen where Nayeon and Dahyun seemed to be stuck in their own world.

 

"That? That's not new!" Jihyo scoffed. 

 

Sana scratched her head. "Am I the only one who missed the memo?"

 

Jeongyeon sat up and stared at Sana in disbelief. "Isn't Dahyun your best friend? Y'all live together! How do you not know this?"

 

"I-- I don't know. I just never thought about them like that," the other replied defensively.

 

"Well I'm sick of it!" cried Jeongyeon, "Those two should just be together if they're going to keep acting like this. And you know what? We should make it happen!"

 

"Just what do you plan to do?" Sana asked. 

 

"We should help them get together. Y'know-- give them a little nudge."

 

"Nayeon will murder you," Jihyo said without hesitation.

 

Jeongyeon nodded in agreement. "You've got a point there, boss. Let's help Dahyun then." 

 

"I don't know about this…I mean, I agree that they are practically a couple, but forcing them together doesn't feel right," Tzuyu argued, placing a hand on Jihyo's shoulder.

 

"I'm with Tzuyu on this."

 

"Because she's your girlfriend?" Jeongyeon raised a brow.

 

"No, because we shouldn't mess with people's feelings."

 

"Why don't we vote?" Mina suggested.

 

Jihyo and Tzuyu immediately voted "no". Mina and Jeongyeon voted "yes".  The four of them looked at Sana. But she didn't say anything.

 

"Hey, Sana." Jeongyeon waved a hand in front of her face. "You're the closest to Dahyun, what do you think?"

 

She was reluctant to agree. "Oh...uhh-- I don't know. Maybe we should ask her if she feels anything for Nayeon."

 

"It's settled then! Sana-- you go find out if what we all believe to be true is actually true. And if it is, bring Dahyun to me and we can work some fairy godmother magic and bring those fools together."

 

Everyone looked over to the direction of the kitchen as the fools came out together with some slices of buttered toast on a plate.

 

"Eat up, losers! You're all lucky Dahyunnie over here convinced me to make you all some toast too," Nayeon announced.

 

"Thanks, Dahyun!" Tzuyu grabbed the first piece then passed one to Jihyo.

 

"Yeah, thanks, Dubu!"

 

"Hey, I was the one who made the toast!" Nayeon protested.

 

"Yeah, but you did it because you were asked to, and not out of the kindness of your heart," Jeongyeon quipped, standing up eyeing a particularly buttery piece.

 

Nayeon snatched the plate away from Jeongyeon before the girl could grab the toast. "Well, I suppose this should just go to those who are actually grateful for it!"

 

Jeongyeon feigned offense. "Okay, fine! Thanks, Nayeon. Now give me some." 

 

The whole room erupted in laughter. Nayeon and Jeongyeon were always like this-- pretending to bicker-- play fighting like they weren't adults who had nine-to-fives. But it was all in good fun. They were best friends. That was just how they showed affection.

 

Everyone eventually got some bread, not quite filling their empty stomachs, but it was better than nothing. Momo and Chaeyoung arrived at 5 AM on the dot. Apparently the two stopped to grab some breakfast before making their way to meet the rest. They were stuffed. The rest were jealous.

 

The girls loaded their bags into their respective cars. Mina, Jihyo, and Tzuyu were driving with Jeongyeon. And Nayeon was supposed to be with them, but Jeong refused to let her join them for obvious reasons.

 

The oldest girl happily complied because it meant that she would get to spend time with Dahyun.

 

Only, things didn't quite go according to plan. Stuffed in the back of Momo's car, Sana, Dahyun (in the middle), and Nayeon, sat together. Nayeon wanted to take the opportunity to rest her head on Dahyun's shoulders but the younger girl fell asleep before her and instead leaned her head onto the person on her right-- Sana.

 

Nayeon tried to play it cool, but she was definitely jealous of the contact. She kept her eyes on Dahyun for most of the trip until she, too, succumbed to sleep.

 

Sana stayed awake through it all.

 

--

 

When they got to the camp a little later than expected, Jihyo told everyone to pitch their tents first before they could go have fun. There were some complaints, but in the end, everyone listened anyway. Jihyo was right. And they could totally use the tents for shade from the sun. 

 

Jeongyeon asked Sana to help Dahyun with her tent and told Sana that she would take care of Sana's tent. This was all part of her plan. She wanted Sana to talk to Dahyun about Nayeon.

 

Sana accepted the offer mainly because she wasn't going to miss the opportunity to do less work. 

 

She and Dahyun quickly finished pitching the younger's tent which gave her time to pull Dahyun away from the group. She led Dahyun underneath one of many giant redwood trees that overlooked the lake, quite a bit away from where the others were setting up camp. 

 

When Sana was certain they were alone, she finally found the courage to speak. "Hey, we're best friends, right?"

 

"What kind of question is that! Of course we are. We've been living together for how many years now, Sana!"

 

"So why didn't you tell me you were in love with Nayeon?"

 

There was silence for a bit. Sana let the question settle and Dahyun avoided her gaze. "Where is this coming from?"

 

"Is it true? The others all seem to know. How come I never did?"

 

"I never told anyone, if that's what you think," Dahyun said defensively.

 

"So it is true then? You are in love with her?" 

 

Dahyun hesitated. "I guess…well, yes. I am. In love with her." Dahyun turned slightly toward Sana, still keeping her head low, tucking her hands in the front pockets of her shorts. 

 

She smiled inwardly. Enough for Sana to see. 

 

"I should have noticed how much happier you are when she's around."

 

"I am. Happier, I mean. When I'm with her."

 

"That's good. I'm happy for you, buddy." Sana flashed Dahyun a bright smile. "You should really tell her, you know?" 

 

"No, no way! She doesn't feel the same about me." 

 

"What? You obviously haven't seen how she looks at you. She loves you too. I'm sure of it."

 

"You're saying that because you're my best friend." 

 

"I'm not! I swear it." Sana drew a little cross over her heart. "I know 'the look' when I see it. Plus, I'd be surprised if she didn't like you. You're an amazing person, you big dork!"

 

"How did you just compliment me and call me a dork at the same time?"

 

"Forget it, come here." Sana pulled Dahyun back to the direction of the camp. She'd already confirmed what she needed to know.

 

It was time for Jeongyeon to execute her plan further. 

 

"Did you get all of that?" Jeongyeon asked, a little too eagerly. 

 

Dahyun could tell she was very excited. The younger girl tried to process everything her friend had said. 

 

"Let me get this right. Your plan is to keep Nayeon and me apart the whole day, then distract her so I can go 'hike' somewhere and pretend to get hurt?"

 

"Yes! Exactly." Jeongyeon nodded and urged Dahyun to continue.

 

"But I'm not actually going to get hurt and we are just saying that so that she'll come rescue me?" 

 

"Yeah, so we'll know if she loves you for real! Nayeon hates hiking, but if she's willing to do it for you, that's love for sure, bro!" Jeongyeon grinned from ear to ear. She was obviously very pleased with herself.

 

"This isn't some soap opera, Jeong; it's my life! Don't you think it's a little cheesy?"

 

"Aww come on, Dubu! Have some fun. Make it grand. She's gonna love it."

 

Dahyun paced back and forth. "I don't know about this…"

 

"Sana, help me out here!" Jeongyeon called out. 

 

"This was your grand plan?" Sana sighed, "Really?"

 

"What? It's harmless! Come on. Don't you think it's cute?" Jeongyeon pouted. "Nayeon will eat it right up. Plus, it's going to be entertaining seeing the look on her face. You know, we've got to spice our trips up somehow."

 

"Jeong, isn't this too much--"

 

"Okay! I'll do it!" Dahyun squeaked out of nowhere. 

 

Jeong threw a fist in the air. "Yes, Dubu! Let's get it! We have to tell the others."

 

The day quickly passed by and everyone (but Nayeon, of course) was kept in the loop about the plan. The girls played their role to keep the two apart, always pulling them away from each other with banal tasks, never letting them have a moment alone.

 

"Why are you torturing me?" Nayeon whined at Jihyo as she carried the portable grill out of Jeongyeon's car. 

 

"What do you mean? We all have to play our part in setting up camp."

 

"Okay, but why am I doing the cooking? You hate everything I make."

 

"That's not true. I ate the toast you made this morning. It was delicious." 

 

Nayeon narrowed her eyes. "You know what, fine! If you all want to suffer from food poisoning, I will cook lunch."

 

"Please remember to hold the knife properly," Tzuyu said, coming from behind the tree, scaring both her girlfriend and Nayeon.

 

Momo and Mina were tasked to keep an eye on Dahyun to make sure she didn't break. She wasn't allowed to say a word to Nayeon. They decided to take her to the lake to go fishing on the dock. 

 

They all set up their poles with bait and waited for the fish to bite.

 

"So, our little Dahyunnie is growing up!" Momo teased, earning a little giggle from Mina.

 

"Ugh, I hate you all! Why am I the only one being teased? This never happened when Jeongyeon and Mina got together!" 

 

"That's 'cause we were good at hiding it." Mina smiled proudly and stuck out her tongue.

 

"You and Nayeon are practically a couple," Momo noted, "And everyone seemed to know except for you two-- and maybe Sana." 

 

"Did you never consider asking her out?" Mina wondered.

 

"I mean, I thought about it before. But I guess I got scared."

 

"Aww don't be. You are a good catch!" Mina reassured.

 

"Just like that fish! Oh my god! Dahyun, quick! Pull! You caught something--" Momo reached over, a little too fast and a little too close for Dahyun's liking.

 

"What in the--" 

 

SPLASH.

 

Dahyun found herself in the water after leaning a little too far away from Momo, forgetting that she was sitting on the edge of the dock.

 

"Dahyun!" Mina and Momo shouted in unison.

 

Dahyun's head bobbed up and down the water, grumbling some words to herself as she swam to shore.

 

The two that were still on land couldn't help but laugh at the scene and they soon forgot what they had been tasked to do and just let Dahyun walk away.

 

A soaked Dahyun stomped her feet back to the campsite.

 

"Hey, stranger, I haven't talked-- whoa-- what happened to you!" Nayeon choked a laugh, dropping the food she was preparing to cook on the chopping board.

 

"Momo," Dahyun said, squeezing out excess water from her shirt. Dahyun sighed, "Yeah, I'm gonna go change."

 

"Did you at least catch a fish?" the would-be cook struggled to keep her laughter in.

 

"Nope." 

 

Nayeon couldn't help it anymore. She laughed so loud that the other girls came running to see what was going on.

 

Jihyo's eyes widened and an audible gasp was heard. "Kim Dahyun, what happened?"

 

"Just went for a swim. For fun." 

 

"Oh, I can see that. Come on, let's get you changed."

 

When she passed behind Nayeon, the older girl grabbed her wrist and whispered, "I don't know what's going on today, but you better sneak away with me when you're done changing."

 

Dahyun nodded obediently.

 

Nayeon had her own plan. She called Tzuyu over and asked her to take over the cooking.

 

"I know you all are up to something, but I don't know what. But I have a feeling you are the most innocent," said the oldest narrowing her eyes. 

 

Tzuyu shrugged. "You're not wrong."

 

"I'm going to hang out with Dahyun for a bit." Nayeon paused waiting for Tzuyu to stop her. "You're not going to stop me?"

 

"No, why would I? Go hang out with her if you want," Tzuyu laughed, pushing Nayeon away.

 

"I will! Thanks, Tzuyu!"

 

"Say hi to the love of your life for me."

 

"Okay, I will." Nayeon quickly realized what she had just admitted. "Wait-- I-- she's not."

 

"You don't have to lie to me. I can see it."

 

"Just don't tell anyone-- especially not Dahyun."

 

Tzuyu debated if she should tell Nayeon that everyone already knew, but before she could respond, Nayeon had disappeared already. She was very eager.

 

Nayeon snuck past Jihyo and Jeongyeon, getting close to Dahyun's tent. She undid part of the zip that closed the entrance.

 

Without peeking inside she whispered, "Hey! I'm ready when you are." 

 

It gave Dahyun a good fright, but she quickly pulled up her pants and picked up a new shirt. "I'm almost done."

 

Nayeon was definitely curious, but she respected Dahyun enough not to peek inside. She wasn't a creep but she noticed Jihyo and Jeongyeon were about to walk towards her direction. She did what she had to do. 

 

"I'm coming in," Nayeon announced without giving time for Dahyun to respond. She immediately opened Dahyun's tent enough for her to slip inside with her back still turned and closed the zip again.

 

"Nayeon what are you--"

 

"Shh...they're outside!"

 

Dahyun chuckled when she saw that Nayeon still had her eyes closed.

 

"Dahyun," Jeongyeon called out, "Are you done?"

 

"No, not quite." Dahyun lied.

 

"Okay, we'll go help prepare lunch, so we'll see you outside!" Jihyo added. 

 

The two in the tent waited to hear footsteps walking away.

 

Dahyun released the breath she was holding. "They're going to know you're not cooking."

 

"Ah let them! What's the worst they can do?" Nayeon waved her hand. "They've already kept you away from me today."

 

Dahyun blushed. "Oh--uhh yeah they have been acting strange."

 

Nayeon's cheeks also flushed when she realized what she'd said. "You think we'd be used to it by now." She tried to play it off.

 

"Our friends are funny," Dahyun said.

 

"They're so weird," Nayeon added. She played with the hem of her shirt suddenly feeling extremely self-conscious. 

 

Dahyun must have noticed because she scooted closer and sat by her. "So, what did you want to do?"

 

"I didn't actually have a plan. I just wanted to spend time with you," Nayeon replied honestly, rubbing the back of her neck.

 

"We can just sit here, away from everyone else, if you want."

 

Nayeon relaxed her tense shoulders and leaned her head on Dahyun's. "Sounds good to me."

 

That action sent Dahyun's heart racing. She could only hope that Nayeon couldn't hear it.

 

The two talked about life for a while longer and didn't realize how they'd ended up with their fingers intertwined, huddled even closer together. 

 

Nayeon was the first to be made aware of their proximity, but she didn't say anything because she enjoyed it. Dahyun also noticed eventually, but again chose not to say anything. This was comfortable. Like they were supposed to be like this.

 

It was just the two of them in their own bubble. 

 

But that bubble quickly burst.

 

Sana ped Dahyun's tent and poked her head in to check on Dahyun. "Dahyunnie, why haven't you-- oh-- uh-- sorry! I didn't mean to interrupt."

 

Nayeon and Dahyun jolted apart. 

 

"Sana!" Dahyun called out, but it was too late.

 

"You should probably tell her that nothing was going on."

 

"Nothing. Right, I'll go do that." Dahyun stood up and left. 

 

Nayeon slapped herself when she realized what she'd said.

 

Dahyun caught up to Sana and explained that nothing was going on in the tent. Sana said she understood, but Dahyun couldn't help but feel something was wrong. But maybe it was just her reading into things too much. 

 

Truth be told, she couldn't help but feel a little hurt by what Nayeon had said in her ten. But it was true. They weren't together or anything, so nothing was going on. Nayeon wasn’t wrong. Still, Dahyun hated the uncomfortable feeling and was very thankful when Jihyo and Jeongyeon were there to pull her away to some other tasks. Good distractions. 

 

Eventually, it was time for lunch and Dahyun chose to sit away from Nayeon on her own accord. All the nerves were getting to her and maybe she was overthinking things.

 

After years of harboring feelings for Nayeon, she couldn't believe she was really going to tell the girl how she felt. 

 

There was no turning back. She was determined to do this.

 

--

 

It was time to enact the most elaborate part of Jeongyeon's plan. Momo, Jihyo, and Tzuyu would bring Nayeon to the nearby town to go shopping for things they'd "forgotten" to bring. Meanwhile, Sana and Chaeyoung were supposed to bring Dahyun for a hike where she would get "injured".

 

This left Jeongyeon alone with Mina at the campsite. And though she would deny it, everyone knew this was probably part of her plan too.

 

After what had happened in the tent and at lunch, it didn't take much convincing for Nayeon to leave with the other girls. She didn't know how to approach Dahyun without having to reveal too much. So instead, she decided to go shopping because that was easier than confessing her feelings.

 

Jeongyeon and Mina followed the girls to Momo's car.

 

"Do you have a list of everything we need?" Jeongyeon asked.

 

"Yes, I have a list. But the rest of our stuff better be there when we get back, Yoo Jeongyeon!" Nayeon scolded. She had a feeling those two were up to something. "I swear, you better keep an eye on our stuff and your hands to yourselves!" 

 

"Is that what you really think of us?" Mina scorned, "We're not going to do it out here, if that's what you're implying."

 

"You're probably innocent, but she is definitely not!" Nayeon pointed a finger at Jeongyeon who had already hidden behind her girlfriend.

 

"We haven't even done anything yet!" Jeongyeon frowned as she squatted and clung onto Mina's leg instead.

 

"Why are y'all like this?" Tzuyu laughed, pulling Nayeon away from Jeongyeon before she could attack. "Can we just go already? Momo has been waiting in the car."

 

Nayeon turned her head to get the final word in, "No funny business, Jeong!" 

 

Jeongyeon stuck out her tongue and Nayeon raised her chin in response.

 

Mina pulled her leg away from her girlfriend. 

 

"Babe, where are you going?" 

 

"No funny business, Jeong!" Mina winked and headed back to the camp where Dahyun, Sana, and Chaeyoung were preparing to go for their hike. 

 

The three girls were almost finished with packing some hiking supplies into small backpacks when Jeongyeon and Mina approached.

 

Jeong looped her arm around Chaeyoung's shoulders. "So have you all decided which trail you're going to take?"

 

"Yeah, we're going to--"

 

"Eagle Point! Woohoo!" Dahyun cheered, happy that she was going to hike a trail that was named after her animal counterpart. The girl was a mix of nerves and excitement, unable to keep still.

 

Mina tilted her head to the side and squinted her eyes at Chaeyoung. She knew neither Dahyun nor Sana could have picked that trail. "Isn't that actually a dangerous trail to go on for beginners?"

 

"Pfft! It's not dangerous," Chaeyoung argued, waving a hand at Mina. "I've done it before! It just takes two hours to get to the top."

 

"Yeah, but you and Somi hike once a month. These two wouldn't be able to keep up with you," Jeongyeon rebutted.

 

"They'll be fine. I'll watch them carefully," the other insisted.

 

"I heard it's quite rocky and narrow," said Mina.

 

"Rocky and narrow? Chaeng you never said anything about this trail being dangerous!" Sana stammered, eyes widening with fear. Sana hardly ever went hiking. The only reason she'd agreed to go was because of Dahyun. She didn't know if she could trust her legs.

 

Chaeyoung soothed her back. "The views are worth it, trust me! It'll be an awesome place for Dahyun to profess her love for Nayeon."

 

"I'm trusting you with my life, Son Chaeyoung!"

 

"Me too," Dahyun chimed in without even looking up. She was rather uninterested in the conversation, and instead was very busy with the items in her bag.

 

"Chaeng, please...be careful. I don't actually want Dubu to get hurt," Jeongyeon cautioned.

 

"Have faith in me, bro! I got this!"

 

"Okay, but does she?" Mina folded her arms and gestured towards Dahyun with her eyes.

 

Dahyun, who had just been caught clipping her carabiners to her ears, bit her lip and stood still, looking very much like a dog with its tail between its legs. 

 

"Dahyun, listen to Chaeng, okay?" Mina sighed. She had already been worried, but even more so now. "She's done this trail before."

 

"Yes, ma'am!"

 

Mina maintained eye contact. "Keep your head clear, okay? 

focus only on the path ahead."

 

"Will do."

 

"Drink plenty of water, stay hydrated, and take breaks when you need it."

 

Dahyun nodded her head. "Okey-dokey!"

 

"Send us your location and give us a call when you reach the top."

 

"Fo sho!" Dahyun gave Mina a thumbs up. 

 

"Kim Dahyun, I'm being serious here!"

 

"Aww don't worry, Mina." Dahyun placed a hand on the older girl's shoulder. "I'll be fine. I have Chaeng and Sana around."

 

"Sana, please watch over her."

 

"I'll try." Sana shrugged. 

 

Mina then replied with a Star Wars reference, "Do or do not. There is no try."

 

Sana laughed. "Okay, nerd! I will watch over her. Stop worrying!" 

 

"Dahyun, you have to watch out for Sana too!"

 

"I promise no harm will come to my dear darling Sana!"

 

Jeongyeon started pushing the three to leave. "Okay, you three better get going. I don't want to be out there in the dark. If the rest get back early, I'll call you!"

 

"Bye, you two. Don't have too much fun alone!" Chaeyoung nudged Jeongyeon playfully, making the older blush.

 

Chaeyoung led the way to the base of the peak where the trail started. They'd only really been walking on flat land (and not even for very long) but Dahyun could already feel herself getting tired. The closer they got, the more arduous and intimidating the task at hand seemed.

 

"Chaeyoung, this trail took you only two hours to get to the top?" Sana asked, amazed by the stamina Chaeng must have had to accomplish that feat.

 

The other girl bobbed her head. "Yeah, Somi and I were here a few months ago in the spring. We actually climbed to the top in a little less than two hours."

 

"Fit couple…" Sana whispered. 

 

Dahyun couldn't believe her eyes. From the looks of things, this climb was not as easy as her friend had made it seem.

 

"Having second thoughts, Dahyunnie?" Sana asked. 

 

"Huh? Oh...no-- I uhh-- I just--"

 

Sana laughed. "I'm kidding. I know you're ready and you've been waiting."

 

"Right. I'm ready!" Dahyun yelled, earning a puzzled reaction from Chaeyoung. 

 

"Okay, Spongebob, get climbing!" Chaeyoung pushed Dahyun in front of her, but the older girl purposely started making herself heavier. "Ugh, come on, Dahyun! Move!"

 

"Make me!"

 

Dahyun leaned back, completely expecting Chaeyoung to support her. Chaeng, however, had other plans. She stepped backward exactly when Dahyun made her move and instead of landing in Chaeyoung's arms, Dahyun landed on the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter