Three Years of Bad Luck

The Ferris Wheel

Chapter 1

5th February 2020

Mina turned the door knob, stepped into the room and then she saw her soon-to-be husband kissed another girl on their bed senseless.

“YAH!!! SON CHAEYOUNG, WHAT ARE YOU DOING???”Mina screamed at her.

Chaeyoung smirked at the screaming girl “Isn’t that too obvious?”


“This can’t be true, no, NOOOO” Mina woke up from her nightmare, sweat covering her body. It has been three years already, three years and still that same nightmare all over again. Not that she dreamed that nightmare every night, she just dreamt it once in a while, like once every two weeks, and this was one of those night.

Seconds later, she heard some rushed footsteps toward her room, she knew that it was her best friends running toward her. The door burst open, her best friend rushed toward Mina.

“Are you okay, Mina? Omo, your hands are shaking. Look at you, you have sweat all over your forehead. How are you feeling right now?” She asked while touching Mina’s forehead, Mina’s cheeks and Mina’s hands in order to make sure her friend was okay.

“Yah, Minatozaki Sana, you don’t have to touch me all over the place like that. Just so you know, I’m fine, it just that I had a nightmare” Mina smiled at her best friend’s overreaction.

“Jeez, you said it like I’m taking your advantage. I’m sorry for worrying for my best friend so much” she said sarcastically. “You dream about her again?” Sana asked, it seemed like all the nightmares Mina had over the years was about one certain person.

“Yeah, it looks like she’s going to haunted me for the rest of my life” Mina joked half-heartedly

“Well, you’re going to be late for work if you continue to waste your time like this. Come on, let’s get ready. Get your lazy little out of the bed already. Go, Go, Go”

“Yes, boss, I’ll be ready in 5 minutes” Mina said while running out of her room into the bathroom. Sana’s eyes followed her best friend’s figures into the bathroom. They’ve been best friends since high school. Just one minor change on Mina’s expression, she could understand her like nobody could. Sana knew that Mina wasn’t over the whole Chaeyoung’s incident but she just couldn’t do anything about it to help her best friend except be there for her at times like this. She even switched her company so that she could work together with Mina. As an excuse for her quitting her job she told Mina ‘My boss’s face is just so funny that I can’t concentrate on working’. Of course Mina was not buying it but she just let it go, she knew her friend enough to realize that when she set her mind on something she would try her best to accomplish. As for Sana she thought that’s the least she could do at this moment, she just silently hoped that time would heal Mina’s broken heart.

&&&&&

Twice’s Travel Service (TTS) - Cruise Sales And Reservations Department

9:02 am

Sana and Mina finally reached their workplace ‘Twice’s Travel Service’ also known as TTS. Both Sana and Mina worked as a ‘Reservation Sales Agent’ whose job is to receive calls and do some paper works in the office. In other words, their job’s rank is the lowest in this department. They glanced at the clock then let out a relieved breath. They still managed to get here on time.

They were about to get ready to work, their boss was coming out of nowhere darted to them

“Yah, Minatozaki Sana, Myoui Mina, do you know what time it is?”

“We’re not late, aren’t we?” Sana smirked

“Jeez, look at the way they’re talking to their boss, just because you’re my friend doesn’t mean that I will go easy on you guys.”


“Okay, okay we get it; we will get to work right away.” Mina said while pulling Sana away from their boss.
Hirai Momo shook her head at her friends while munching on her sandwiches. Just to be clear, the sandwiches were definitely not her breakfast which she just finished about 30 minutes ago. Momo is the founder of TTS, her parents own the Hirai Corporation which is solely about Real Estate Trading which she has absolutely no interest in. Over the years, she asked her parents to open her own business which is TTS, she has an ultimate love for Traveling especially in Cruise ship. Her father let her run her own business under one condition, he must be the one who decided all the personnel assignment. At the beginning she didn’t approve the idea but in the end she gave in to her father anyway. ‘He just worries for you too much, you know that right?’ her mom told her that as an explanation for her father’s condition. Anyway, her business has been going on for a little over three years and just getting bigger and bigger. She was truly a daughter who could make her parents smile all the way to their ears.

Momo was also Mina’s best friend but her parents always send her abroad to study, she wasn’t able to stick with Mina through thick and thin like Sana did. Momo always feel guilty about that. In order to make up for being the worst friend ever, every time Mina was in trouble she didn’t have to ask Momo for help because she was already on her way.

“Sowon, my father sent me a fax, didn’t he?” Momo asked her personal assistant, Sowon.

“Yes, he did. I have left it on your desk in your office.” She answered.

“Alright everyone, let’s get to work” Momo announced loudly then walked into her office.

As soon as Momo closed the door, Minho, Onew and Luna, Mina’s beloved co-workers rushed to her.

“Mina-yah, I’m going out with my girlfriend tonight. It’s our one-month anniversary; can you help me finish these files?”

“Our lovely Mina, today I really have to get off work early because of my dentist’s appointment, can you please type this contract for me?”


“You have to help me with this Mina-yah; I really don’t know anymore, my dog is really sick, you know how much I love him right?”

“Okay, I know, just leav…” Mina’s sentence was cut short because of Sana’s loud voice

“Yah, yah, yah, you can’t just do all the work for them, the company hires them for a reason you know?” She turned to Minho “Isn’t yesterday is your first-kiss anniversary? Wow, you guys really have a lot of celebrations to do.” Then to Onew “You really have to come up with some new excuse you know? The other day was your head, yesterday was your stomach and now is your teeth.” And finally to Luna “Your excuse is pretty persuasive except the fact that your dog just died two weeks ago”
They couldn’t say anything because what Sana said was true. Frankly, they just wanted Mina to do their work and not even bother to think of a proper excuse because they knew Mina would agree to help them no matter how lame those excuses were. As Sana was about to return all the work to them, Mina stopped her hand.

“It’s okay guys, I will finish these then return to you guys later” she smiled brightly to her co-workers who slowly went back to whatever they were doing which is definitely not working. Sana sighed; sometimes being a good friend is just too hard.

“Please, tell me that you know they’re lying” she said

“Of course, I know that” Mina chuckled

“Then why do you do all the work for them, you have your own work remember?” Sana asked. Aish, Mina was just so frustrating sometimes.

“They must have their own personal reasons which they can’t tell me for doing so, if not why did they have to ask me to help them? Mina explained calmly while doing ‘her’ work

“You’re driving me crazy here, and it’s not in a good way” Sana said while walking away from Mina in order to return to her work. This is exactly the reason why I have to switch company so that we can work together Sana thought. She started to think if Mina was trying to wear herself out by working so that she couldn’t think of Chaeyoung anymore. Truth be told, she had never gotten to see Chaeyoung’s face because Mina didn’t keep any of her pictures, the only one was left she used as her dartboard, Sana started to doubt whether it was a picture or not.

Minutes later, Momo came out of her office.

“Guys, guys come over here for a bit; I need to make a quick announcement” She said loudly. When she saw that she had all of her employee’s attention, she started “I have good news and bad news, which one you want to hear first?”

“Then let’s hear good news first” Sana said

“Well good news that we have some celebrations to do, because our new ‘Reservation Supervisor’ has been decided. Let’s applaud for our one and only… Minatozaki Sana”

Everyone cheered and applauded loudly, even though this was truly a surprise. Everyone in this department was expected Mina would get that position because she had been working here for 2 years and 9 months now, her records was absolutely clear. Meanwhile, Sana just got her job 6 months ago. Momo and Sana glanced at Mina who seemed happy for her best friend, this was supposed to be Mina’s position but her father asked her to give two candidates so the second best must be Sana. Her father’s decision was just too hard to understand sometimes.

“Now for the bad news, I believe you guys also notice this, even though our business doesn’t go downhill but in the past three month our sales wasn’t improving either. In this business, standing still means we’re lower than other business by one step. So, my father decides that he will send someone here to check on the employee’s performance while I will be going on a business trip in one month next week.” Momo said

“So we’re going to have a new boss or a supervisor?” Minho asked

“Both, just try your best guy. As long as you work hard, they can’t do anything to you right? I hope when I come back, there will be no personnel change in our department. Okay, so that’s it. Let’s get back to work” Momo said. She glanced at Mina’s full-of-file desk then walked to Sana’s desk. “Take care of her while I’m gone, okay?”

“You don’t have to ask, I am always there for her” Sana said proudly

Everyone got back to what they were doing except Onew, he seemed like he was looking for something. “Has anyone seen my lottery ticket which I just bought this morning?” he asked loudly

As Mina was looking through Onew’s files, she noticed the lottery ticket was stuck between those files “Onew, did you mean…”

“Don’t touch it” Onew shouted, he rushed to Mina’s side; before Mina could touch the ticket he took it and stuffed it in his pocket. “Thanks Mina, that’s the one”

“Jeez you don’t have to act like Mina’s carrying some kind of deadly disease” Sana said

“Well it’s not like that but you’ve got to believe that my chance of winning the lottery is gone if she touched the ticket. Don’t tell me you don’t see Mina’s bad luck for all these years” Onew reasoned himself

“It’s okay Sana-ah, he’s right about that” Mina defended Onew.

Sana drew silent. After ‘the incident’, Mina had to face all kind of misfortune in the whole world. She had gone to over 30 interviews to get a job but the interviewer didn’t even look at her. She would be still unemployed if it wasn’t for Momo. She had gone to clubs or bars many times with Sana who gains attention from both boys and girls however Mina always end up driving home alone. In her house 4 mirrors, 2 televisions have been broken. In her workplace, after 7 cups have been broken she gave up having her own cup and start using paper cup. Other things such as slipping on the wet floor, getting coffee poured on her clothes happened once or twice every week. She blamed all of these on Chaeyoung, her own ‘Friday the 13th’.

Mina sighed Another typical day at work.