Fin

Bus Ride On The Way Back Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun has started to hide itself. Finally after a long day, I walked out from the hospital. I’d knew the first day in a new work place would spent a lot of my energy. Today was my first day to work in a hospital downtown of city. The city that has been long enough I’ve left. The hospital is big.  Well, not that as big as the hospital I’ve worked in Seoul. But you know, I really like it here. People is so good to me and we have a good chemistry I think. Even though it’s was just my first day, but I already really like work here. Even when we sort of shorthanded thus why the workload has been draining me because of so many patient I have to tend.

You know, it was my hardest decision ever. To leave everything I have back in Seoul, and came here to begin again from the start. To leave every facilities in big city and chose to live in small city like Daegu. Haha I know I’m being so dramatic right now. Daegu was not that rural, but still this city is not so metropolitan like Seoul. I think I’m doing well to be used to live here even if it just three day since I moved back to Daegu.

I kinda regretting to not bring my car to work today. I thought it would be fun to ride a bus home. Just like a scene from kdrama I watched in my LED TV. You know, sitting at one of bus chair near the window, and listening to music while enjoying the scenery of city in front of my eyes. But here I am, sitting at the seat of old bus stop for uhm 7 minutes, and the bus has not coming yet. What did take the bus so long to arrive? I can’t wait to go home and take shower and eat what my mom has cooked for me. Well, that is one of a good point why I didn’t regret my decision to move back here. Mom’s cook is the best food in the world. No one can argue with me about that.

It’s been 10 minutes I’ve waited for the bus. But still there’s no sign the bus will come. I grow of tired waiting, so I walked to this small store which sell magazines and newspapers near the bus stop. I pick one that has caught my eyes. The headline was written “Kim Jong Eun has just launched a new nuclear technology”. What? Has this man go nut? Why would spend the country’s money on nuclear again and again yet his citizens suffering from poverty? It just doesn’t sit well with me. I would never understand what this man thinking in his funny hair head.

I grow tired of reading, so I take out my wallet to pay a newspaper that I read. When i was waiting for the change, I look at the bus stop to check if the bus has just arrived or not. The bus stop now has more people than 15 minutes ago. Most of the people at there are employee who just came from work.

But wait! Did I see it right?

I saw someone familiar. Is that..? Joohyun Sunbae? That tiny woman just like her, from her doe eyes, kissable lips. I mean lips. And that porcelain like skin.

That’s right. That was Bae Joohyun. I’m one hundred sure that is BAE JOOHYUN.

I started to walk toward bus stop when that Ahjussi call me for my money.

“hey, young woman your change”, he said.

Ah right, I kind of forgot about that. I walked back toward that Ahjussi hurriedly and took my money back. And then I walked fast toward the bus stop with my eyes just focus on Joohyun Sunbae. I’m afraid that I’ll lose her trace. So I walked faster and faster until I accidentally bumped into someone else. I bowed and said sorry to that person. And I ran a little bit in order to get there faster.

And now, just 3 meters more and finally with still gasping for the air, I called her

“Joohyun Sunbae”.

That woman was surprised and cover with her two hands

“Omo! Kang Seulgi?”, she asked to make sure it was real me.

“Yes, this is Kang Seulgi” I said and bow slightly to great her, and she bowed back to me.

“Its been a long time Joohyun Sunbae”, I said with smile on my cheeks. Maybe right now, my eyes just disappear from smiling too much because the size of my eyes just small like that.

“Yes, it’s been a long time. I have not heard about you for so long. The last time I know, you got in medicine school in Seoul?” she tried to recall her memory just by look from her face.

“Yeah, you are right”, I said with little smile.

“It’s great to see you Sunbae”. I said. Maybe Joohyun now just think that I was some creepy woman for smiling too much. But I can’t help it. I’m just so happy to see her again.

She just giggled. Oh god even her giggle sounds so cute to my ears.

Shyly she offered her hand to me. So I shaked her hand up and down and bowed little bit.

“Yeah, me too” she said after we let go of each other’s hand.

“Oh the bus is here!”, she said. “Let’s get on the bus, Seulgi”,

“Okay, you go first Sunbaenim”, I let her to get on the bus first.

With that she walked past me and get on the bus first, followed by me from behind.

Oh boy, it’s gonna be a long but fun ride I thought.

 

We sat side by side at the back seat. Joohyun Sunbae sat near the window and I sat near the aisle. We didn’t say anything for 5 seconds. It was awkward. Actually I didn’t know how to start the conversation, but I had to say something before we experienced more and more awkwardness.

I faked a cough to attract her attention.

“So, did you just came from work?” here it go, the lamest question finally outed of my mouth. Seriously I couldn’t make any better question.

Of course Seulgi, can’t you see her outfit? Duh!

And I think Joohyun Sunbae agree with me. After heard my question, she just laugh a little.

“You know, you don’t have to be nervous around me”, she said, finally she looked at me. I could see her brownish iris, so beautiful. Just like her. Then think about it again. After so many years, Joohyun was still Joohyun. She just matured but remain the same. Her feature remain the same just like what I remember from our school day.

And I couldn’t hide my embarrassment. My cheeks was burning. And see, Joohyun Sunbae was laughing at me right now.

“Still the bear I used to know, I see”, She said softly.

“I’m sorry”

“No need to be sorry, Seulgi”, she said it with the radiant smile she has. And I know, when she smile a lil bit longer, I think I could die on the spot. Right, again excuse my dramatic .

“You know”, she began to speak again. “I think it’s normal to be awkward with someone you have not meet for a long time. So do I”

“Yeah, you are right”, couldn’t be more agree with that.

“So, Sunbae” I began, but she quickly raised her finger to stop me. I confused a little bit here.

“I think, you don’t need to call me Sunbae again Seulgi. We are not high

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter