Chapter 2 : What the ?

CALL THE BALL (VOLLEYBALL AU)

 

 

"PRRRRRRT"

 

The referee’s long whistle was heard inside the gymnasium, signalling both teams to line up at separate ends of the court according to their jersey numbers with their captains being the first in line. The girls are now facing the net from the end lines. The announcer then introduces the referees, the other officials, and lastly the teams competing. 

 

"And now, to officially start the most awaited Spring Interhigh Finals, allow me to introduce to you—the bests of the best!” another roar from the audience bellowed.

 

"Wearing black and yellow, from Aetos High School, TEAM EAGLES!"

 

The Aetos’ crowd cheered, mostly chanting the name of the seniors—Wendy, Seulgi, and Yerim. 

 

"From the other side, wearing white and cyan. Representing Apollo High School, ARCHERS!" 

 

Another loud cheer from Apollo’s crowd filled the room, with cheers for Joohyun and Joy prevailing among others. 

 

The referee blows his whistle once again, telling both teams to go near the net for them to shake hands. Even just by looking from the bleachers, you can already tell the aura both team exudes. The Eagles being cool and full of swag, while the Archers being elegant and intimidating. And just by looking at them shaking hands, everyone can already feel the tension building up between the air around them, especially Joy and Seulgi who are now glaring at each other.

 

The game started with Irene as the first one on the service line. Aside from being a great setter Irene is also known for her service, the floating serve. Even if the ball's landing gets unpredictable that makes it hard for the receiver to get, it's quite easy for the Eagle's libero. After years of playing against each other, Wendy came to learn on how to handle Irene's serves with ease. 

 

After hearing the whistle, Irene serves the ball and it landed straight to Wendy's arm sending it directly to Ryujin, their setter, she sets the ball towards Seulgi's direction. And as if on cue, Joy, the league's best blocker, from the other side of the net is already in front waiting for Seulgi's attack.

 

'PRRT!'

 

"What an early block from Park Sooyoung!" the crowd cheered. On the other hand, Seulgi and Joy are still staring at each other having a 'small talk' with the net as the only thing that separates them.

 

"Not so fast, Kang Seulgi," Sooyoung teased. Seulgi could only stare, trying her best not to be affected by the teasing, not when the game is just starting. Score 0-1.

 

"Don't mind, don't mind!" their captain says, calming their opposite hitter.

 

"I'll set it up higher, unnie. Sorry." Ryujin apologizes.

 

"C'mon it's fine! Don't be like that we were only starting!" Seulgi replied positively to not ruin the team's energy.

 

After few more minutes in the first set, the Archers continue to score while the Eagles are still struggling to find their momentum with Seulgi failing again and again to deliver her attacks across their opponent’s court. Score 2-10.

 

"Is this the type of finals you're going to give me, Kang?" Sooyoung smirks once again trying to annoy the other girl for her lack of points.

 

"Shut up," Seulgi scowls before turning her back at the girl and march towards her teammates.

 

"Don't let it affect you, unnie. You are better than that," Yeji reminded her sister after hearing the conversation of the two. Seulgi simply nods, smokes starting to come out from her nose.

 

"You get the next play, Yerms. Joy won't leave me alone at this moment," she told their open hitter.

 

"Okay? Ryu, set it lower," Yeri doubtfully answered as she is also having a hard time to score.

 

"Copy, unnie." Ryujin agrees.

 

Archers' Chaeryeong is now on the line ready for a serve. Her service once again went to Wendy, the girl swiftly digs it and dimes it to her sister's direction.

 

"Two, unnie!" Ryujin shouts using their code, meaning the play is for Yeri.

 

The setter made a perfect set, just like how high Yeri wants it to be, but then the girl was unable to approach the ball correctly that resulted in the ball going straight to the net.

 

"WHAT WAS THAT KIM YERIM?!" Coach Tiffany frustratedly shouted from the bench. She can't take what is happening to her players anymore that she had to call a time out.

 

"Prrrrrt! Time out, Eagles!" 

 

"I'm sorry, coach. I kinda felt dizzy when I approached the ball. It won't happen again. I'm sorry," Yeri automatically reasoned out, afraid of the rage she might receive from her coach after her error.

 

"You look so pale. I'll let you sit out for a while and let you rest."

 

"Thanks, coach," Yeri replies and went to the side to have some water.

 

"Even Seulgi is not on her usual self, my gosh, what's wrong with you? Did you drink again last night?" Tiffany asks, alarming the three seniors, with Yeri almost spitting the water.

 

"WE DID NOT, COACH! I SWEAR WE DIDN'T!" the four-eyed girl dramatically exclaimed, making her coach believe her suspicions more, and her teammates to laugh, once again.

 

"Okay, chill. You don't need to shout."

 

"I was just explaining, coach," Seulgi replied, embarrassed, before drinking from her tumbler.

 

"Girls, listen! I need you to loosen up and stop overthinking. I can see that you are all nervous. I understand that it's because this is the finals but please calm down and think first. We might not be able to get this first set but I want you to do better for the remaining of the game. Okay?" 

 

"Yes, Coach!"

 

"Now chin up and show them what you've got!"

 

"Yes, coach!"

 

"On three!" the captain initiated the hands in.

 

"One, two, three!"

 

"EAGLES!" 

 

The girls now wait for the referee's whistle to enter the court again, but not their captain who went to the side together with Seulgi to talk with Yeri.

 

"Hey, are you fine?" The captain asked.

 

"Yes, just a little bit dizzy—"

 

"You better be fine, or else I'll tell the coach that it is only you who drank last night," Seulgi interrupted, receiving a kick from the sitting Yeri.

 

", you try! Or I'll tell everyone that you like that middle blocker that's why you are not scoring a lot today!" 

 

"Where the hell did that came from? I will never like that girl, she's so full of herself!" Seulgi's face turns red as she rebutted. Just by mentioning the blocker, her blood begins to boil.

 

"Dude, chill. I'm only kidding, you don't have to react that way. Unless?" 

 

"Cut it!"

 

"Enough with your s, you two. Continue it later. Yeri, drink more of that to keep you hydrated. Please rest, we need you on the second set," The only 'mature' one among the three decided to speak. 

 

"I will, Wan. Don't worry, we'll do better next sets," Yeri calmly replies this time, reassuring their captain.

 

The referee whistles again, signaling the players to get back on the court.

 

"Let's go now, Seul. You still have to face that giant of an archer," Wendy teasingly said making Seulgi facepalm and groan so hard.

 

"Flirt well, Kang Seulgi!" Yeri shouted gaining a glare from the latter.

 

"I mean, Fight well, Seulgi! Go Eagles!"

 

The first set ended earlier than everyone expected with the Archers taking the first blood. Score 15-25.

 

On their way to exchange courtside for the second set, Joy and Seulgi who are near the committees' table once again have something to say to each other. These two really, every time they cross paths, it is impossible for them to shut their mouths, in insulting each other at least.

 

"I'm expecting a better second set, Kang. The first one is—well, no sweat," Joy boastfully said wiping her forehead with her right hand and then flashed it to the four-eyed girl to prove that there is really 'no sweat'.

 

Seulgi who is carrying an ice cooler with both hands—the punishment that works until they're back to their campus—could only give the girl a scornful look, "Just wait, Park. It's just the first set, don't be so full of yourself." 

 

"Hey, unnie. Let's go, Ryu is asking for her water," Yeji interrupted, aware of what might happen between the two if she didn't call her sister.

 

Seulgi without saying anything turns her back to the blocker.

 

"Thank me, sis. I save your from getting humiliated," the younger Kang said, smirking at her sister.

 

"As if I'll allow myself to be humiliated, I could even say more to that girl if you didn't interrupt us," The older Kang said still not over her 'talk' with Joy, scoffing at her sister.

 

"Tell that to your stats today, sis," Yeji sneered.

 

"Tell what to what?" Seulgi questioned.

 

"Tell your stats to have more digits," a loud laugh came out from Yeji's mouth, mocking her sister's low performance on the first set.

 

"You freak! You don't have that many points yourself!" 

 

Yeji just laughs at her sister, before helping her put the ice cooler at the side, pulling a bottle before running over Ryujin. Seulgi, who's still kinda pissed off, pulled a towel to wipe the sweat on her neck and face, Yeri approaching her from the back, "Hey, you still good?"

 

"I should be the one asking you that," Seulgi said, sighing deeply.

 

"I'm good now, however you look the opposite," Yeri stopped, tapping the taller girl's shoulder, "We're gonna do good next set, don't worry and calm down."

 

Seulgi gives one small smile, nodding before joining their teams huddle, with Wendy fist bumping her as she reached them.

 

"Okay, on three!" Tiffany initiates, immediately followed by her players, "One, two, three!"

 

"EAGLES!" The whole team cheered.

 

"Yeri," Coach Tiffany called.

 

"Yes, coach?"

 

"How are you feeling now? You're included in the R-5 for the second set, can you play already? It's okay if you're not, I can just change it," The coach stated, still worrying about her player's condition. 

 

(Note: R-5 is the line-up card of each team that is given to the referee and the scorekeeper every set for them to keep track of the serving sequence and the rotation of the player on the court. It contains the name and jersey numbers of the 6 players who are playing for the set plus the libero.)

 

"I'm all good, Coach. Don't worry I have my pocari with me. I can even play two matches now," Yeri playfully answered to ease her coach's worry, not forgetting to mention her favorite refresher.

 

"Glad to hear that, Kim. Now give me a good second set," Tiffany proudly smiles.

 

"Will surely do, coach!"

 

At that same time Yeri's conversation with their coach, her two best friends stand beside each other.

 

"Control yourself okay?" Wendy says, tapping her bestfriend's arm who just nodded sparingly.

 

The second set started and Apollo High for the second time has the lead. On the other hand, Seulgi still have a hard time keeping up while also controlling her annoyance to the girl accross the net, and it's visibly affecting their team's performance again.

 

Just like what happened on their recent play where they were supposed to have a combination play with Seulgi being the hitter and Yeri as the decoy, but both of them ended up jumping at the same time causing the ball unattended. The gymnasium is getting more dumbfounded by the play of the reknowned Eagles, while the setter Ryujin is confused as hell and even blame herself for not clearing her planned play, and most especially their captain who is also a close friend of the two, concerned about them and also their team. Score 8-14

 

Joy, who has witnessed everything in front of her eyes could only smirk which did not go unnoticed by the four-eyed girl. Just by that smirk, Seulgi is all fired up again, and marched directly to their setter who is in the middle of the court having a mini huddle with the team.

 

"Don’t mind it girls, we will do better on the next one. Just foc—" Wendy’s words were cut off by the cold aura of the girl who popped from behind them.

 

"Give me the ball next play," Seulgi coldly ordered, scaring the younger setter who became more confused.

 

"But unnie, their blocker had you on check already," Ryujin replied carefully, trying not to offend her senior.

 

"Just give it to her, Ryu. I can’t possibly score at this moment too, you know," Yeri suggested, trying to indirectly support her friend’s decision.

 

"I’ll give it to Yeji then," The setter said.

 

"I’m still uncomfortable attacking from the back row, Ryu. Give it to unnie," The other hitter replied, agreeing to her sister and teammates.

 

"But—" 

 

"Just let her be this time, Ryu. We will let her rest after," Wendy whispered while patting her younger sister’s head as if telling Ryujin to trust her. Ryujin, left with no choice, just nodded.

 

Meanwhile, just before another service from Apollo, the mortal enemies are having their ‘small talk’ at the net, or rather just the blocker trying to annoy Seulgi.

 

"I don’t know what to say about that last play, Kang," Joy nitpickingly said only to be ignored by the other girl. Well, she's trying to ignore her as to not to let her emotions explode. She tries to focus on her play.

 

Yeri who is near the two and is also getting annoyed by the blocker, decided to speak on behalf of her friend. 

 

"No one asked you to say something anyway," she said earning a grin from the setter who is beside Joy, agreeing to what the girl said to her teammate.

 

"You—" the blocker couldn’t continue what she wants to say there because of her captain.

 

"Just focus on the game, Sooyoung-ah," Irene spoke up, giving her teammate also best friend a warning. She is saying ‘enough is enough’ to the girl in a different way. With that, the referee whistles.

 

Just like what is planned, Ryujin signalled number one behind her back for her teammates to see that the play is for Seulgi. Their opponents’ service was effortlessly received by the best libero in the league, Wendy, and she again smoothly directed the ball to her sister Ryujin. After looking at her side to see if Seulgi is all ready to approach the ball, the setter swiftly sets the ball towards her direction. 

 

Meanwhile, Seulgi who has frustration written all over her face is overthinking things and having a hard time choosing on what attack she will do. Should she power spike it and let the ball hit at least the blocker’s fingertips or just do a drop? She is thinking all of these in a span of seconds causing her to be late on approaching the ball that is why she is only left with no choice but to hit the ball under and for it to go way outside the court. Another point for the Archers. Score is 8-15.

 

"KANG SEULGI!" Tiffany angrily called, before signalling the second referee for substitution.

 

"Jade, you are up," she continued, calling the second year also opposite hitter of the team.

 

'Prrrrrt! Substitution!'

 

"Number 4, in. Number 20, out," the committee announces.

 

Before Seulgi can go outside the court, Wendy jogs towards her, grabbing her bestfriend softly before flashing her worried but reassuring look.

 

"Grab this break, bro. I need you to calm down, and come back stronger," the libero whispered while patting her friend's back trying to calm her down at the same time to cheer her up. Seulgi just taps her friend's arm, silently acknowledging her words and then went out of the court.

 

"Sit there beside my chair, I want you to meditate," the still silent Seulgi just obeys the coach.

 

She first went to get her water tumbler in the cooler, ask for her towel from her teammates, get back to the bench, sit where her coach told her, and finally heaving a loud sigh before sipping her cold water, the cold liquid helping in cooling her especially her head. What a game for her. They aren't even on the half of it, yet she's feeling so tired already. Might as well make the best out of this break and think things through.

 

While Seulgi was out, the newly subbed Jade started to make an impact for the team and scored two straight points, giving a ray of light for the team's energy.

 

"That's a good one, Jade!" the hyper captain said almost jumping out of happiness.

 

"You should do one more, girl!" Yeri added wearing the same smile to her other teammates.

 

"I don't think I can, unnie. Their blocker looks so scary right now," Jade humbly replies, or she is just scared?

 

"Oh, don't worry I can handle it," The senior grins, "Do you think we can do it now, setter?" she continues, asking Ryujin about their plan. Ryujin only smirks.

 

"Okay, Let's do this!" Wendy cheered, getting excited for their team. They went back to their positions.

 

"Hi there, Joyful. Are you having a good time?" Yeri teasingly said to the girl in front of her.

 

"Just shut up. And FYI, it's Joy."

 

"Okay... Joy." Yeri smiles widely as if she's planning to do something extravagant.

 

'Prrrrrt!'

 

After hearing the whistle, Bea from Aetos did her jump serve. The other team's libero, Lia, barely received the ball but still manages to bring the ball up. Irene then follows the ball's direction.

 

"Yuna!" the setter hollers their hitter.

 

"Got it, sis!"

 

Irene suavely sets the ball towards the strong side where Yuna is waiting, the hitter then spikes the ball between Yeri and Ryujin's blocking hands. But then, as if the Libero have read this book many times, she is already in position waiting to dig the ball.

 

"I got it!" Wendy shouted sending the ball to the setter.

 

"Kim, unnie!" Ryujin shouted, trying to confuse their opponent's defense by shouting the surname of the two hitters, Yeri and Jade.

 

Yeri then made a quick step to her left faking her movements for their rival's blocker to follow, before she chases Ryujin's back set at the right side of the court. She jumps off one foot and mightily spikes the ball to the empty side of their opponent's court.

 

"SAY!"

 

The crowd loudly cheered that gives Yeri a confirmation that she really scored. The girl roars, flexes her guns, and give the now annoyed Joy a mocking look.

 

"Get that bi—!" before Yeri could say the word, Wendy instinctively covers the girl's mouth stopping her from the possibility of getting a yellow card because of taunting, whispering a scold in her ear.

 

Their teammates started to gather around them all hyped up because of the great play they just witnessed and also because their score is getting closer. Score 13-17.

 

"Calm down, Yerms. You don't want to be sent back to the bench, again," Seungwan reminded the girl still covering .

 

"I know. Let me just celebrate my points," Yeri said freeing herself from the libero's hold.

 

"It's just a point, unnie," Ryujin as calm as ever stated.

 

"Let's score more, then," the hitter grins receiving an agreeing nod from her teammates.

 

"On three!" Wendy again initiated their hands in the middle of the court.

 

"One, two, three..."

 

"EAGLES!"

 

Seulgi could only look at them from the bench, glad for how her teammates are doing, and then closes her eyes again to continue calming her mind.

 

The second set finishes with the Archers still taking the lead. Ended with the score 23-25. But different from the first set the atmosphere around the Eagles bench is now lighter and livelier for they now have the momentum and energy to start a stronger third set.

 

"Hey," Wendy calmly approaches the still quiet Seulgi, "Are you doing fine?" she asks, sitting beside her and wipes her sweat using the towel hanging around her neck.

 

"I think so," the other girl replied and took another sip from her tumbler.

 

"Glad to hear that. Now, what happened there earlier?"

 

"I also don't know, Wan," the taller girl slumps her body against the bench, "I guess it's just me acting up," she sighed.

 

"Tell me more about it," the captain urges her friend to let out more of her worries.

 

"I don't know. Maybe because it is the finals we are talking about and it's our last game for our high school year yet I'm not performing base on what they expect me to do, I felt like I'm not contributing to the team well enough. Plus, that Joy is such a pain in the it makes me furious. And that last play before I was sent back here is just pure selfishness, I felt bad for Ryu and the team. Now I don't know how to make it up to you guys," Seulgi rambles.

 

"Dude, chill. You are rambling. I understand, okay? I want you to clear your mind and stop pressuring yourself. We are all in this together remember?" Wendy comforts her friend, holding the girl's shoulders for her to face her, "Now, chin up and don't let those words from other people affect you. You are way better than that. You understand?" Seulgi could only nod processing her friend's words.

 

"Okay then," Wendy stands up, offering her hand to her bestfriend who accepted it and also stood up, "Let's go and talk it out with the others."

 

The two joins their team's circle, with Seulgi's head quite low, slightly embarrassed on the attitude she showed to their team especially to her hoobaes, considering she's a well respected senior, "Uhm, I'm sorry for what happened earlier."

 

The group smiles, with Yeri's being more teasing than the others, "Let's play well now, okay? But I can't believe a Seulgi can scare a Son Ryujin," she laughs making the younger setter flushed.

 

"Th-that was nothing!" Ryujin defends, hiding away her flushed face, making the others laugh too. Seulgi smiles brightly, her feeling more light now.

 

"Let's go team!" the four-eyed initiated the hands in, followed by the others, "GO EAGLES!"

 

Following their momentum from the second set and their main scorer, Seulgi, coming back stronger as what she promised, Aetos Eagles swiftly ended the third set and takes the lead with no sweat, ending with a score 25-19. Giving them the chance to extend the game with more sets and not allowing their rival to end the game fast.

 

"That was fast, Kang. I thought you will end up being your team’s water girl after what happened," Joy once again is facing Seulgi at the net, talking about the third set.

 

"What’s wrong with being a water girl?" Seulgi replies, chuckling while trying all her might not to lose her composure especially when the fourth set is heated. Score 5-5.

 

'Prrrrrt!' the whistle stops Joy from talking more.

 

Yeji made her service that was received by the defensive specialist of Apollo, Chaeryeong, the ball went smoothly towards Irene’s direction. She sets the ball with a speed that shocked everyone. The ball is instantly spiked by Joy shocking the defense of the Eagles. Seulgi, Wendy, and Ryujin all on the floor unable to save the ball.

 

"Oops. Wrong sports, Kang. You might want to change to swimming with that goggles of yours," Joy again tries to irritate the girl, mocking the dive and her eyeglasses.

 

"Coming from someone who brings a luggage bag for a game? You might be in the wrong place—this is not the airport," the four-eyed girl replies, chuckling at the change of reaction from the blocker.

 

"Shut up, you know nothing."

 

"Same goes to you, Park."

 

The fourth quarter is nearing its end with the score being the tightest among all the previous sets. Score 23-24. Both teams are now at their peak momentum and no one is willing to back down. The crowd getting hyped as ever, finally witnessing the gift of the best finals that the best batch of rivals could offer them. 

 

Apollo High once again has the advantage, if they scored this point the game will come to an end and they will get the win. But Aetos will not give up that easily, if they happen to get this point the set will be on deuce that will give them a chance to extend the game. (Note* Deuce is when the game is tied and a team needs to have a 2 point advantage for them to take the win.)

 

Because Aetos already used up all their time-outs earlier the only time for them to communicate is during the short time before the service. Tiffany could only give them signals from the bench, which her players pick up quickly.

 

"It is now or never guys, we will get this point no matter what. Remember just trust yourself don’t be hesitant to do your attacks, I always got your back," The captain instructed her teammates, without forgetting to assure them. 

 

"Aetos High!"

 

"EAGLES!"

 

"Apollo High!"

 

"ARCHERS!!"

 

The crowd cheered after hearing the roars coming from the rivals before the referee whistles. The server from Apollo’s side then made her jump serve that landed on Wendy’s waiting arms. She then dimes it to Ryujin’s direction once again.

 

"ONE!" the setter shouted. 

 

Seulgi then moves backward to make her approach. Meanwhile, Joy who heard the signal calls her teammate.

 

"Yuna on this side! One, two, three!" she counted for them to have the timing to block Seulgi’s attack.

 

As Seulgi spikes the ball, it was blocked by Yuna. The ball almost falls at Aetos' court.

 

"I GOT IT!" Wendy shouted saving the ball with one hand, almost diving at the floor.

 

"TWO!" Ryujin again shouted as she sets the ball. It is now Yeri’s turn to make her attack. But then the blockers are once again there closing the space for Yeri.

 

"Damn your heights!" Yeri shouted while in the air spiking the ball, luckily the referee didn’t hear her.

 

The ball once again was touched by Joy causing it to go back to the Eagle’s side.

 

Wendy who was at the back row runs all her might near the net, but because of the ball’s speed, it is impossible for the libero to make a decent receive. She then raised her left leg and kicked the ball upwards, sending it to their setter.

 

"I GOT IT!" the libero once again shouted, leaving everyone shocked on her unusual but amazing save.

 

Ryujin then makes her way to where the ball is going, "UNNIE!" she looked at Seulgi before she shouted. The girl is now ready for her approach, aware of their rival’s ability to block, Seulgi decided to just dump the ball.

 

"SAY!" 

 

Aetos’ crowd rejoices as their team is still surviving the battle, the tension in the stadium reaching its peak.

 

"Nice dump, Seul!" Yeri happily greeted her friend.

 

"One more, guys. C’mon, we can do this!" the captain had to shout because the crowd is so loud that they can’t hear each other clearly. Score 24-24.

 

The fourth set continues until the score reaches 29-29 with both teams just keep on exchanging leads. It is now Yeri’s turn to serve. Coach Tiffany showed her the coaching board telling her where to place her service. But, as unlucky as she could ever get, her service went outside giving their rival the advantage. Score 29-30.

 

"SORRY COACH!" The open hitter apologized, almost bowing at the floor.

 

"Don’t mind, don’t mind!" her teammates shouted trying to cheer her up.

 

"Back on defense, Yerm. Don’t mind it," the captain taps her friends’ shoulder, she only receives a nod from the latter.

 

"DOWN!" their coach instructed her team to ready their defense.

 

Another service from the Archers crosses the net that slips through Bea’s arm sending the ball way outside. Wendy runs to follow the ball not minding where she might fall, she jumped over the barricade and then reaches for the ball, saving it and sends it back to the court. 

 

"FOLLOW!" she shouted, asking for her teammates to follow the ball after her breathtaking stunt.

 

"I got this!" Jade who is following her captain on chasing the ball, sends the ball to the other side of the court.

 

"Free ball!" the quiet coach from the rival team, Jessica, finally makes her presence felt by telling her team to calm down.

 

Lia easily digs the ball. Taking the advantage that their team has, Irene stares at the ball as if there is a fire burning through her eyes, she then made a fake by raising both her arms as if she will make a set for Joy, but the girl decided to make a dump attack last second, shocking the defense of Aetos, and just before Wendy executes her pancake save, the ball already touches the floor.

 

Everything seemed to slow down as the referee blows his whistle, his hand slowly sways down to point at Apollo's side, the crowd cheering and shouting as loud as ever as it echoes around the stadium, especially from Apollo’s side.

 

Finally, Spring InterHigh Finals has come to an end, and it is the Archers claiming the victory.

 

"What the ."