Of Consistencies and Denials

Through Notes and Sweets

 

Jessica’s running late... again. 

 

8:09 am.

 

She’s nine minutes late on a freaking Monday and she’s nowhere near the classroom. 

 

 

It’s not like it’s entirely her fault, though. Their driver just had to drop her little sister off first in her preparatory classes before it is her turn to get to be dropped on SM Girls High. It’s just more convenient that way since Krystal’s school comes first along the way. Other than that reason, Jessica can’t really bring herself to finish her morning routines a bit more faster. 

 

 

 

It’s practically like this every morning, she’s just lucky their teacher on the first subject is not that strict in accordance with punctuality. There’s also this thought that maybe the teacher just doesn’t care since Jessica’s grades are above average anyway.

 

 

 

But, no matter what time it is, Jessica makes sure to pass by the lockers still. She smiles as she reaches for her pocket, takes out a mini sized Kitkat and sticks it to one of the lockers with the help of an adhesive tape. 

 

 

 

(Yeah, maybe she goes to school late on purpose so no one would be around the hallways anymore.)

 

 

About to carry on with what she refers to as ‘running,’ Jessica stops as she notices a note fixed on her very own locker. She shrugs, she didn’t expect that this person’s consistency would last for 3 months (not like she’s one to talk), but she gingerly takes it anyway. 

 

 

She reads it, and the smallest of smiles creeped up to the sides of her lips.

 

 

“Have a great day today, Jung Sooyeon! ^_^ -Y”

 

 

And again, she walks as fast as she can to her classroom.

 

 

——————————————————————

 

Taeyeon looks at her wristwatch. It’s just 7:09 am on a Thursday, and the skies are clear.

 

 

She got into school early, just as she intended to do so. She has a few more minutes until the hallway gets crowded by students and almost an hour until their classes starts. 

 

 

She walked past the lockers, not forgetting to stick a note onto a certain locker. She carefully tapped the sticky part of the paper, just to make sure that it won’t fall.

 

 

She reads the words again before continuing to walk further to her classroom with her hands on her pocket as if she didn’t do anything:

 

 

“Good morning. Have fun today! :)”

 

 

——————————————————————

 

 

“Did you guys know that I’m not into mint chocolates?” Taeyeon says, announcing her arrival to her friends who got in the canteen first. She had to go to her locker first, it’s been quite a habit for 3 months now since last valentine’s day. 

 

 

Yuri who was behind her, followed by Seohyun and Yoona then says, “Give it to me, then!” 

 

 

Taeyeon extends her hand so Yuri won’t be able to reach it. In her defense, she says, “Hey, it’s given to me, why would I give it to you?!” and Taeyeon sticks out her tongue as an insult. 

 

 

Yuri attempts to flick Taeyeon’s tongue when she teases her, Taeyeon was just quick enough to dodge. 

 

 

“Seriously, Taeyeon, don’t you actually want to know who gives you those?” Tiffany was munching on her sandwich when she spoke just to distract the two and stop them from one of their childish and petty engagements again, and the others tuned in to their conversation. “What if those chocolates were spoiled or something.”

 

 

It started on valentine’s day. It was normal, Taeyeon thinks. Almost everyone had some notes and little candies hung or taped on their lockers, she was just grateful that some students were thoughtful enough to give her too. However, on the next day there was still a lollipop placed on her locker. She thought it’s strange, or maybe the giver was absent and didn’t have the chance to give it yesterday... until it went on consistently up to this day. 

 

 

Sunny’s eyes beamed as she decided to contribute on the conversation, “This is like... the first person brave enough to show affection to Taeyeon, right guys? ever since Taeyeon and....“ Jessica lifts her head up and eyes Sunny, daring her to say one more word. Sunny clears and blinks a few times. She looks away and continues, “Uhh— you know.” 

 

 

“Yeah, and the others from valentines day doesn’t count.” Yoona also says in defense since she remembers placing chocolates and little notes on their lockers out of kindness and admiration to her friends who treat her well. (She placed two more on Seohyun’s, though.)

 

 

“Excuse you, “Taeyeon starts, “I always checked the best before dates and they’re all safe and uhh, If she wants to stay anonymous then why would I insist on finding that out?” Taeyeon shrugs.

 

 

“She has a point, though.” Sooyoung nods her head, she was about to eat the last bite on her burger but continues, “But, it would have been better if your secret admirer put some clues or whatever—“ Sooyoung nudges the girl beside her, who seems to be occupied with her nails but she’s listening, nonetheless, “Like Jessica’s.” 

 

 

Jessica has been receiving notes since the last valentines day, too.

 

 

It was Hyoyeon’s turn to ask a question directed to Jessica, “How about you, then? Don’t you want to know who ‘Y’ is? We can help you.”

 

 

“This is also the first person to make a move on Jessica, right?” Yuri butts in before Jessica could answer, “Ever since she and—“ Yuri steals a glance on Taeyeon and as expected, Taeyeon’s already eyeing her (intently, if Yuri may add.) Yuri purses her lips and stopped talking when Taeyeon squinted at her and pretended to scratch something on her face. Yuri’s quite sure Taeyeon used her middle finger to scratch on purpose. 

 

 

“Yeah, it’s just fun reading the notes...” Jessica explains, “I’m not interested nor am I curious enough to know who.”

 

——————————————————————

 

“Are you really sure, though?” Yoona asks her seat mate in a hushed voice. It’s been bothering her and she wants to know more so when the teacher turned around to write, she pressed. “Then, she should know better than anyone that Taeyeon’s kinda picky and that she hates mint chocolates the most.”

 

 

Seohyun looks at Yoona warningly, only for the latter to snigger adorably at her. Seohyun answers her anyway as she writes on her notebook, “Maybe because Taeyeon got on her nerves yesterday. I think she’s like.. punishing her or something.”

 

 

Yoona makes an inaudible gasp as she covers . It makes sense to her now, but she got one more question so she turns her attention back to her seat mate. “Then—-“

 

 

Seohyun hushed her when she noticed that the teacher’s about to turn around. Catching a glimpse of Yoona pouting, Seohyun quickly adds with a shy smile, “Later.”

 

——————————————————————

 

One afternoon, when the teacher on their last subject was nowhere near showing up, the girls found Taeyeon and Jessica having a silent war. The two are not looking at each other, but it’s obvious that they’re speaking to each other. Taeyeon’s eyes are focused on the blackboard while Jessica seems to be obsessed over her newly painted fingernails. 

 

 

And so when they came back from the restroom, Sunny asks, “Why does it feel weird around here?”

 

 

Seohyun, whose existence had been long ignored by the two since they had the ‘war’ and who has been there all this time can’t seem to hide the amusement written all over her face. She leans closer to Sunny and whispers, “They’re talking.”

 

 

“Uhh excuse me? The treats themselves are the content.” They hear Taeyeon say from a short distance. 

 

 

Sooyoung tries her best to hide her laugh as she whispers to a grinning Yoona, “I can’t be the only one who feels the here.”

 

 

“What’s happening?” Yuri, who sat on the other side of their circle asks silently to no one in particular. “Are they like... fighting?” 

 

 

 

“No idea.” Tiffany answers when Hyoyeon just shrugged, her eyes focused on the two as she tries to hear more, “This would be fun to watch, though.”

 

 

And so they all did.

 

 

Apparently, Jieun - a student from the same year but from different section came by to hand Jessica a letter in a red envelope and Taeyeon had been an audience. 

 

 

Without saying anything, Jieun left immediately which left Jessica engrossed with the letter at hand and mumbled to herself, “Huh.... so she’s Y then?” while still eyeing the letter and flipping it upside down, trying to find the initial. 

 

 

Hearing and witnessing everything, something immature triggers in Taeyeon. By the time she could even stop herself from saying anything, the words have already came out of , “A letter? Really? That’s lame...”

 

 

‘At least I didn’t trip that on her feet.’ Taeyeon thinks and assures the ‘goodness’ there is in herself. She tries to calm down as she dismisses the words ‘she’s Y, then?’ out of her head. 

 

 

Jessica blinks, still quite unsure if Taeyeon and her are about to engage in a conversation. Of course they talk to each other, but considering that they are both exes, they only do when it’s necessary. Feeling as if she was mortified, Jessica talks back, “And what’s wrong with letters?” She smirks as a thought occurred her. She eyes her neatly painted nails and nonchalantly said, “At least they have content.” 

 

 

Taeyeon lets out a small gasp, she’s just grateful Jessica wasn’t looking. Her forehead creased as she felt she’s being challenged. She then removes the lollipop out of again with a pop, preparing for a comeback. 

 

 

“Uhh excuse me? The treats themselves are the content.” Taeyeon retorts, “And they are very sweet, thank you very much.”

 

 

Jessica fakes a laugh as she rolls her eyes. She felt the presence of her friends coming back from wherever they went to, but she paid no attention to them. She felt her lips twitch and retorts, “Oh, you want to talk about what’s sweet, huh?”

 

 

Jessica looks over at Taeyeon, expecting her to look back but Taeyeon just raises her brows in an unconcerned manner, eyes round as she still focuses on the board. 

 

 

Jessica takes a deep breath, accepting the unsettled but implied challenge. “Mine plasters sticky notes with sweet messages on my locker every. single. day!” She says, emphasizing the fact that she does receive little notes everyday. It’s nothing to be proud of, really, she just can’t help but find the greetings such as “Good morning!” and “Have fun today” with hearts and smileys very cute. 

 

 

Taeyeon holds the lollipop in her hand firmly as she says, “Well, my admirer sticks candies, lollipop and even chocolates on my locker!” Taeyeon pauses, “Mine is sweeter, figuratively and literally.” Then places the lollipop back to after she makes a mocking face to Jessica. 

 

 

“Oh yeah?” Jessica taunts. She knows how competitive Taeyeon can be, but she won't lose either way. She thinks of something else,  “At least the sweet notes given to me are still with me. How about your damn treats?” Jessica crossed her arms over her chest and sneers, “Gone. No remembrance.” 

 

 

If someone were to flip Jessica’s notebook rashly, one of the sticky notes would certainly fall.

 

 

(Sunny swears she saw Taeyeon trying to hide a stupid smile creeping out of her lips.)

 

 

“Bold of you to assume I threw the wrappers away!” Taeyeon replies, unwilling to accept defeat. She remembers wiping out the chocolates left in the wrapper just so the shoebox stored in her locker filled with other wrappers won’t manifest an ants’ parade on the next day. 

 

 

(Tiffany swears she caught a glimpse of Jessica’s cheeks turning red.)

 

——————————————————————

 

 

Still taken aback from the events that just transpired, none of their friends made a sound when Taeyeon and Jessica walked out of the classroom.

 

 

(Jessica stood up first, denoting that she's done talking to Taeyeon for the day and Taeyeon followed suit, only to walk faster and ahead of Jessica because she's childish like that.)  

 

 

(Taeyeon held the door open quite longer though, just until Jessica's out of the room too before she walked to the other direction.) 

 

 

(Seohyun's quite certain she saw Taeyeon contemplating whether to follow Jessica's tracks before she went on her own way, looking defeated.)

 

 

Yuri clears , gaining the others’ attention. “So, who’s gonna tell them?” Yuri says when the two are clearly out of earshot. “You all know, right? We all know.” 

 

 

“My head literally hurt from their stupidity, seriously!” Sunny exclaims, making circles on her temples, and then she raises her hand as she asks, “I mean, who among you all knows that it’s Jessica and Taeyeon who put things in each other’s lockers?”

 

 

Yuri, Hyoyeon, Sooyoung, Yoona, Seohyun and Tiffany raises their hands, laughing.

 

 

 

Seohyun, as innocent as she is, asks all of a sudden, “Why won’t they just get back together? It’s been..... 6 months? Right?”

 

 

 

“Jessica doesn’t believe in second chances and Taeyeon’s pride is just too high to even ask Jessica back.” Sooyoung remarks, and earns a laugh from the others when she continued, “Seriously, her pride is so high it kinda hurts my height.” 

 

 

 

 

 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

 

 

 

Hiiiii~ please leave comments or anything. :D