The Lightning Fruit

Lightning in the Summer
Please log in to read the full chapter

Author’s Note: Pure imagination with a dash of otaku. (I made some minor edits but overall it's the same was what was submitted in JJ Fiesta.)

 

Life lesson: Don’t eat weird looking blue apples. 

 

“I’m hungry…” The small one room apartment was dim. The fan on the ceiling rotated in lazy circles. Surrounded by half empty junk food wrappers in the middle of the cramped room was a lone mattress. And on top of said juice stained mattress was a single figure wasting away, flopped on her stomach without a care in the world. Ahn Yujin, your typical broke highschool student lamenting her life choices.

“It’s hot… I’m hungry... God, why did I think blowing my bank account on merch was a good idea. KIM MINJOO! THE THINGS I DO FOR YOU!” Face down on the pillow, she raised her head slightly at the ping that came from her phone. A notification. “A Vlive?! Now? I LOVE YOU KIM MINJOO ANGEL!” 

Happily flopping onto her back, the 17 year old immediately tapped onto the little blue app(no not the toxic one) and was met with the face of an angel. 

“What a time to be alive.” She sighed dreamily. Or so she thought. A popup notification decided to show up then, blocking out the face of the angel . “5%? Where’s my-” Scrambling up for her charger, she halted in her step when the light in her room flickered before dying off. The room was consumed by silence as the slowly spinning fan too ceased its churning. 

A scream erupted from the 17 year old as she finally figured out the nagging feeling she has had all week. “I forgot to pay my electric bills!” Sinking onto her knees, she could only despair at the thought of the vlive she was going to miss. “Yuri better not get this vlive suspended.” She mourned. “I need the reupload.” 

Crawling unwillingly to her feet, she decided to go to the nearest subway station to charge her dead phone. “God… Hyewon-unnie was gone for a week. And I spent all my money on SummerZ merch... “ 

Kang Hyewon was the senior that checks in often to make sure Yujin is still alive. As Yujin’s best friend, she had made it her duty to keep the girl alive ever since she made the decision to live on her own. A week without Hyewon had rendered Yujin broke and starving with too much Minjoo merch to count (There’s no such thing as too much merch!). 

Grumbling as she made her way to the strangely empty subway station, she quickly placed her phone down to charge. If it charges fast enough she may still catch the end of the vlive. “God. I better not open the stupid bird app and find out I missed something important.” Cursing her bad luck, she decided to walk to the vending machine to get a drink, rummaging through her shorts pockets for change. 

Turning the corner, she didn’t expect to run into someone. The unprepared 17 year old found herself on her as the figure in black slammed past her without a single word of apology. “Hey!” Grabbing the small wrist (of what was probably a woman), Yujin stood back up glaring at the smaller figure. “Aren’t you going to apologize?”

“Kuso gaki.” Yujin stumbled back in shock when the smaller woman simply shoved her away. Wrapping her cloak more firmly around herself, the woman hurried out of the subway station without another word.

“Did she just-” With her limited Japanese skills that she had picked up for Minjoo’s Japanese schedules, she could discern that yes, the woman had just called her a brat. Rolling her eyes, she pulled out the thing she had slipped out of the woman’s pocket in their short confrontation. “Ha! I wasn’t nicknamed the Black Dog for nothing.” 

“But… What exactly is this?” She looked down at the weirdly shaped fruit in her hand. It… looks like an apple? Why is it blue tho… Do normal people put food coloring on apples? Shrugging to herself, she decided to pocket it for now and continued on her way to the vending machine.

“Curses” she murmured under her breath. “I don’t even have spare change?” Actually… Didn’t I spend the last of my change on that limited Minjoo edition soft drink… Her stomach decided now was the time to remind her that she hasn’t eaten all day. Groaning, she didn’t even want to think about the sorry condition of her fridge (read: empty). 

Stumbling back to her phone, she finds it at 25%. Sighing, she plopped onto the nearest subway bench pondering if she would survive until Hyewon gets back. The hard bulge of something pressing into her back reminded her of the apple she had stolen from the woman earlier.

Strangely, even the nasty looking blue apple was starting to look appealing. What’s the worst that can happen if I eat this? Laughing nervously to herself, she inspected the apple again. “Why would anyone poison an apple right… The worst that can happen is probably indigestion. Right?” 

Biting into the apple was one of the worst decisions Yujin has made in her life. The taste was unspeakable, worse than the time she decided to eat the leftover tteokbokki that had been in the back of her fridge for who knows how long. Immediately throwing the rest of the apple in the trash she rubbed furiously at . “Why would anyone keep an apple like that in their pocket?” 

Unplugging her still charging phone, she quickly ran home in search of something to cleanse with. Unknowingly, just as the woman in black returned.

 

 

Waking up is one of the worst feelings in the world. Waking up in the morning because your best friend came to check if you're alive but found you living in a pigsty and is currently giving you a lecture is even worse. 

Yujin found herself rudely awoken when Hyewon burst into her apartment, dragging her up by the ears and began lecturing her on the proper etiquettes of a healthy lifestyle. 

“And you can’t just go blow all your money on Minjoo merchandise just because she smiled in a photoshoot and her indian dimples showed!” 

Bowing her head, Yujin apologized and promised she won’t do it again. Hyewon’s eyes narrowed. “I know you’re crossing your fingers behind your back.” Yujin quickly bowed her head and apologized again — her abused earlobe wasn’t going to make it if Hyewon started up again.

“Yujin… I think you should just move in with us.. I know you wanted to live independently and not burden us but really it’s better for all of us that way. We can make sure you’re alive and well and you can live in an apartment that’s not as rundown as this one. We have a spare room and you can take it.” At Yujin’s hesitation, Hyewon decided to pull her trump card. “And you spend less on housing so more money to blow on SummerZ’s album.” 

Yujin’s head whipped up at the sound of that, mentally calculating how many more albums she could buy if she were to live with Hyewon and Yena. Rolling her eyes, the older girl knew Yujin was already caught. 

“Yena will be back from her vacation tomorrow. We’ll move your things out tomorrow since your lease is ending soon anyway.” Yujin nodded obediently, already rejoicing at the thought of all the money she can now spend. 

“Alright let’s go to that restaurant Yuri said she took Minjoo to. It sounds good.”

“WHAT. Unnie you watched the vlive yesterday? It didn’t get reuploaded!” 

 

Life in the new apartment was as chaotic as she expected. Yena had just come back from her short family vacation to Jeju, but was immediately forced to help move Yujin’s things into their apartment to which she had incessantly whined about. With the 3 loud best friends in one apartment, the volume level increased – so did the complaints from their landlord. 

It was the first Saturday afternoon at her new apartment, when their life changed. A rare coinciding rest day for the three gamers, without schoolwork or job shifts, meant a game tournament. The two older girls were in the living room across, battling out over Smash Brothers.

In charge of lunch that day, Yujin was busy chopping up some meat pieces to stir fry. Mind occupied by the illegally obtained vlive video she had found on the bird app through moots, Yujin found herself chopping down where her inattentive fingers were. 

A scream interrupted the two in the midst of their battle for bragging rights. Rushing into the kitchen, the two found their dongsaeng staring at her hand in awe. 

“Yujin what the f – fudge! What was that scream for?” Yena scowled. Her heart was still beating hard over almost losing her Pikachu when Yujin’s scream. 

“U-unnie. My hand. It’s still here…” Yujin whispered in awe. 

“Why wouldn’t your hand be???” Yena’s now staring at Yujin with worry. “Did you hit your head or something Daengdaeng?”

“No I mean,I chopped my fingers off, but they’re still here.” 

“Maybe you just thought you got your hand.” Yena started arguing with Yujin about it as Hyewon stared intensely at the knife on the board. 

“Fine! I’ll just show you.” Grabbing the knife, Yujin jabbed it down at her hand without hesitation. A scream erupted from beside Hyewon. Covering her eyes, Yena was screaming furiously at Yujin. 

“Are you insane, Ahn Yujin! Omg. Hyewon are her fingers still there. Is she bleeding out? C-Call the ambulance!”

“Yena.” Laying a hand on the duck’s shoulder, she pushed off the offending hand that covered Yena’s eyes despite the latter’s resistance. “Look.” 

Yujin’s hands were still attached. And in fact, they look like nothing had happened… except for the crackle of blue electricity that seems to emanate from them. 

“Yujinie. You have some explaining to do.”

 

 

Which is how the three of them found themselves sitting in the living room, half cooked food forgotten.

“So you’re saying. You spent too much on Minjoo merch and was starving so you decided to eat a random blue apple that you stole from a stranger when it might have been poisonous.” Run, Yena mouthed from her position beside Hyewon. Before Yujin could even attempt to run, Hyewon smacked Yena upside the head. “Stop telling her to run, idiot.” 

“Ahn Yujin. What did I tell you about-” Letting out a loud groan, Hyewon stopped herself mid lecture. Pinching the bridge of her nose, she let out a long sigh that showed the struggle of a woman who had known the hardship of raising two idiots. “I’m surrounded by idiots. God help me.” 

“Hyewonie, shouldn’t we get Yujinie che–”.” 

“ I already know what’s wrong with her.” Hyewon interrupted, sipping the tea she had been brewing. “I’ve actually had this theory for awhile now. This just proves it. ” 

“Speak Korean.” Yena whined. 

“I am speaking Korean idiot. Anyway, you know that Japanese anime I love? One Piece?” At their nods of confirmation she continued. “Well I think it was based off of real events. Within One Piece there was this century named the Void Century which no one knew anything about. What if One Piece is like the Void Century and the governments of the world have been hiding the existence of these unknown powers from the people?”

“Why would they do that… Hyewon, aren’t you reading too much manga again?” The glare from Hyewon quickly shut Yena up. 

“Well I was supposed to see a friend who had more concrete proof but I don’t know where she went.” 

“So what you’re saying is... “

“I think what Yujin ate was a devil fruit. The Goro-Goro no mi to be exact.”

“Ha. ha. Ha.” Yena laughed awkwardly. “Good joke Kwangbae. I almost believed you for a second.” Yena slapped the solemn girl on the back, but Hyewon’s face didn’t change. “This… isn’t a joke is it?”

Hyewon grimly shook her head. “I wish. Judging from how normal items can no longer injure her and the lightning coming from her hand… There is only one explanation.”

“But why? Why didn’t anyone know about this? How did that stranger even get that fruit?” 

“The governments have been hiding it for hundreds of years. Do you really think they would want superhumans that can easily cause nuclear level damage roaming around? Especially when those superhumans could easily topple a city?”

“So what do I do now?” Yujin looked up from examining her hands. “Am I going to be hunted down?” The thought of running for her life, of living back out on the street again made her nauseous.

“No. At least not yet. If the person you met is who I think it is, she probably sneaked it out. You should be safe until the government notices the disappearance of your fruit.” Sighing, Hyewon patted the younger girl. “Don’t worry too much about it. I’ll protect you if they come after you. For now just continue on with our daily life as normal.” 

Getting up with her phone, she headed towards their balcony. “And remember. Both of you. Don’t spread this around.”

 

 

True to her word, Yujin kept silent about her newfound powers. She went to school as usual, worked her shifts, and her freetime was dedicated to SummerZ’s activities. 

But lightning was a part of her now. It was impossible to keep away from something that is a part of you forever. 

The first time she drew upon her power was when her phone died. An involuntary zap had quickly recharged the useless scrap of metal. Being the curious child she was, it didn’t take long before Yujin realized that – lightning in the age of technology was phenomenal. Flicking on the light could be as simple as snapping her fingers from her bed. Her charger was now gathering dust in the corner of her room. And even going to school could be as simple as zapping across town (though she was forbidden from using this one when Kwangbae found out).

That was when Yujin realized – there was a lot more to her than just Yujin now. She wasn’t just plain old Yujin, broke highschool student serving as a barista at the coffee shop around the corner. She wasn’t just a regular orphanage kid who got as far as she did in life because of her supportive best friends. There’s more to her than just that. She has power. There’s something special about her. She’s not just plain old Yujin anymore. 

The promise to not use her powers all but laid in the back of her mind, as opportunities to help out came. Just like this morning. 

After begging Kwangbae for 5 minutes to let her zap to class because her alarm broke down from constant unconscious lightning strikes, she was given permission to zap to school. Stretching as she walked up to the third floor, the sound of a whining student drew her attention. Ah it’s that vending machine.  Must be a freshman if they don’t know that one only eats money. Being the helpful senior that she was, Yujin walked past, nonchalantly zapping the machine as she went. The sound of the cheering freshman brought a smile to her face. And that’s my good deed for the day. 

 

If there was one person in Starship High School that Yujin couldn’t understand, it would be Jang Wonyoung. Jang Wonyoung has a reputation in school for being a beauty. A genius who skipped a grade despite her busy schedule as a part time model and her less than stellar attendance. Yet for someone as accomplished as Jang Wonyoung was at the age of 16… she was very very unhealthily interested in the activities of the school loner Ahn Yujin. 

“Yujin-unnie~” At the sound of the approaching model, Yujin rolled her eyes. Here we go again. Ignoring the latter’s aegyo and the class’s cooing of their adorable classmate, Yujin opened up her phone. “Do you have anything to do after school?” 

Yujin raised an eyebrow at the spoiled brat, wondering what she wanted to pull. “I have a shift today, so yes I do. If you want someone to entertain you, you better ask one of your ‘friends’.” Decisively ending the conversation, Yujin booted up SSSummerZ, determined to get a few rounds in before their notoriously tardy professor arrives.

“Well, I guess if unnie don’t have time… I’ll have to invite someone else to go to SummerZ’s fansign with me.” 

At the mention of SummerZ’s fansign, Yujin’s head snapped up. “W-What?” She croaked. “It’s limited, how did you–”

“Ah, I guess unnie don’t keep up with my activities. Don’t you know I’ll be having a collaboration with SummerZ?” The teasing look on the spoiled brat’s face made Yujin want to wipe the dirty school floor with her model-like face. “So? Should I invite someone else?” 

Biting back a curse, Yujin picked up her phone again. Pulling up Yena’s contact, she sent her a quick message that she has an emergency today and won’t make it to work.

“So you’re free now?” Yujin could feel her eyebrows twitching at the thought of owning this brat anything. Nodding reluctantly, she relented. This is for Minjoo. I’ll swallow my pride for Minjoo. “Great! Meet after school at the entrance?” 

Without waiting for her reply, Wonyoung skipped away. 

Yujin’s phone vibrated as a message from Yena came in. ‘Family emergency?? Ahn Yujin you’re an orphan…’ Yujin slammed her head on the table, already exhausted with the day. Class hasn’t even started yet. 


 

At 3 pm sharp, Yujin was already leaning at the school gate waiting for the school princess to arrive. A quick glance at her phone reminded her of the onslaught of spam she had received from Yena throughout the day. It’ll be fine if I get Yuri to write something for her later, right? 

The sound of approaching footsteps brought Yujin back to reality. The model did not seem to be the slightest bit sorry for making her wait.. Beckoning for the older to follow, she easily slipped into the car awaiting them outside. 

Cautiously climbing in after the princess, Yujin was surprised when Wonyoung  confidently announced her address without consulting her. “You– How? Are you a stalker?” 

The younger girl smiled mysteriously. “Wouldn’t you like to know?”

As soon as the car reached their apartment, Yujin dashed out. Rushing into her room, she quickly grabbed a copy of the latest album that she bought and her camera. Before leaving the room, she hesitated. Dashing back in, she opened up her drawer and grabbed the wrapped box inside before rushing back to the elevator. 

It didn’t take long for them to arrive at the venue where the fansign was taking place. A crowd of fan sites were already there, waiting for the members to arrive. Following Wonyoung, Yujin was led to a door meant for staff members only.. 

“The collaboration will be announced today. Even the members don’t know about it yet.” Wonyoung said as she led Yujin through the maze of hallways. “It’ll be announced towards the end of the fansign so don’t spoil the surprise ok? We have seats reserved upfront. Be thankful ne~ You’ll get to see your angel up close.” 

The venue was already loaded by the time they entered. The lucky fans who had won the seats were already in and prepared, cameras out ready to snap photos the moment the members enter. Smiling nostalgically, Yujin remembered a time when the crowd was much smaller, when fans greeted each other as friends, when the competition for fansign spots weren’t as fierce. Gingerly placing her precious album in her seat, Yujin had just gotten up to shake off her coat when everyone around her erupted into screams. 

“SAKURA-CHAN!”

“CHAEWON!”

“MINGURI!”

“JOYUL!”

“Yah, Jang Wonyoung! Do you have a mirror?” Watching SummerZ walk on stage, she hurriedly fixed her bangs. Wonyoung just shook her head, amused by the change in the delinquent like student. 

The fansign felt like a blur. Yujin soon found herself in front of Sakura, the leader of SummerZ. Pulling out the album for the visual to sign, she greeted her politely. 

“Your friend isn’t here today?” Sakura asked, taking a quick glance around the venue in search of a certain foodie. 

“Kwangbae couldn’t make it this time. Yah! Why do you look so disappointed?” Yujin pouted at the idol. “She was off doing intern work, so she earned quite a lot. She said she’ll definitely buy more next time.” 

At the quirk of the idol’s lips, Yujin added “And you can sign a message for her. It’ll be displayed in our living room anyway.” 

Their small talk continued for a bit more before their slot ended. Yujin was just about to step to the next slot when… 

“Yujinie~” Yujin flushed red at the nickname. “I thought you weren’t going to make it this time?” 

“Were you checking my twitter again?”

“Yup!” Her smile is so cute. Her indian dimples are showing again. Do we really deserve this angel? Yujin thought helplessly. “I saw your posts about not winning any fansign tickets and I had to prepare myself for my heartache when I won’t get to see your cute dimples.” 

Saliva caught up in , and Yujin quickly turned to the side to cough. When did she get this confident? Was it really only 2 years ago when she was still a shy rookie? 

She swallowed hard before clearing her dry throat. “I- uh I thought I didn’t get in. Turns out I did.” 

“That’s good. Now I don’t have to worry about not seeing my favorite fan.”

Yujin didn’t like how casually Minjoo could make her heart flutter with the bare minimum.

“Should you really be calling favorites like that?” 

Minjoo just grinned at her, before proudly lifting her album up. Written on top in bold clear were: To my number one fan, 

Thank you for staying beside me. 

I wouldn’t have made it here without you. 

I love you.

No, Yujin’s eyes were definitely not misty at all. It was just sweat. Probably. 

“Thank you for staying with me for this long.” 

“No, thank you for letting me support you for this long. Thank you for saving me.” Yujin whispered, wiping away the tears that were starting to form. 

Their time was cut short when someone began to tap their foot impatiently behind them. 

Yujin gulped nervously as it dawned on her who the perpetrator might be. Turning around slowly, she beamed nervously at the short girl staring accusingly at her. “Hi, Nako-ssi! It’s been awhile since I saw you!” 

Her fake excitement did nothing to the glare she received. “Ahn Yujin.” The manager growled. “I swear on God Jihyo I’m blacklisting you next time.” 

“Yah! Nako-chan!” Yujin pulled out the few Japanese words she knew, trying hard to appeal to the manager. “We’ve known each other for this long now. I’ve come to all the events, you can’t just blacklist me.” The highschooler whined. Pulling out her trump card she turned up her aegyo and opened up her puppy dog eyes. Dimples on full display she started appealing to the poor manager who was looking more traumatized by the second. 

“Just move onto the next one.” Nako scowled, turning away. “You’re holding up the line.” 

“See you next time Yujinie~” Minjoo called, before turning her attention to the next fan, dazzling him with her angel-like smile. 

“Yah Ahn Yujin if Nako-chan makes all of us eat mintchoco ice cream with her later because you put her in a bad mood...” Yuri threatened. 

“Just give them all to Chaewon.” Pulling out the album, she asked the main vocalist of SummerZ to please sign it for Yena.

“Ah, so she didn’t make it this time.” Yujin raised an eyebrow at the badly concealed disappointment.

“Yea. She bought as many albums as she could but both of our luck kind of this time.” Yuri took notice of the ‘both’ but chose not to comment.

Her conversation with Yuri didn’t last too long, and from the look in Yuri’s eyes it was clear she was hoping that a certain pouty lipped duck would be waiting behind her like usual. Promising Yuri that she’ll drag Yena with her next time, she moved on to Chaewon’s slot ignoring the idol sputtering denials behind her. 

Her slot with Chaewon was more lighthearted, filled with playful banter and teasing remarks. She thanked the girl for staying sane and preventing Minjoo and Yuri from burning down their dorm. And quickly walked past under Nako’s watchful look.

 

The  fansign soon drew to a close. The idols were up and greeting their fans, thanking them for the great time they had and the gifts they received. A cough into the mic stopped them from leaving the stage. Walking into the center of the stage was the short manager of SummerZ. And trailing a few feet behind her was the model that had gained Yujin her entry to the event. 

“Before you all go, I would like everyone here to be the first to know that SummerZ will be having a special collaboration shoot and CD with model Jang Wonyoung.” Before the announcement could even completely leave Nako’s mouth, cheers had erupted in the venue. The girls standing at the side of the stage looked shocked.Yuri was even openly gaping (Chaewon had to close for her). In the commotion of the sudden announcement, Nako made her way to the idols and led them to the exit. Catching Yujin’s eyes, Wonyoung gestured towards the exit.

Gathering her things, Yujin quickly made her way out. Wonyoung met her there, and grabbed her wrist. Leading her through countless hallways, they arrived in front of a closed door. Without knocking, Wonyoung simply pushed the door open, revealing a group of shocked idols. 

“Minjoo-unnie~” Yujin gaped in shock as Wonyoung launched across the room and latched onto her bias. Minjoo didn’t seem too surprised by this and simply rubbed the younger girl’s head endearingly. 

“Wonyoung.” A soft voice cut through the heartwarming interaction from across the room. “Did you know about this?” Meeting the eyes of a serious radish fairy, Wonyoung nodded, arms still latched tightly around Minjoo’s waist. 

“Yujinie?” Minjoo seemed to have finally noticed the existence of the other member in the room. “What are you doing here?” 

“She’s with me unnie.” Wonyoung said, happily resting her chin on the shorter Minjoo’s shoulder. “I heard she was a fan of yours so I brought her to the fansign as a surprise.” 

Minjoo’s face was unreadable. Before she could open and say anything, Nako had entered the room again. “The car is here we have to go.” 

The idols in question nodded, waving their goodbye to Yujin before making their way out. As Minjoo made her way past, Yujin grabbed her wrist. At the attention of those familiar chestnut orbs, Yujin felt drying up. Before she could lose her courage, she pressed a small white box into her hand. “This is for you. I couldn’t give it to you earlier. Congratulations on your piercings.” 

The stiff expression that had fallen onto her face earlier seemed to evaporate as her familiar smile made a reappearance. Wrapping her arms around her number one fan she murmured her thanks. “This is the hug I couldn’t give you earlier. I’ll look forward to seeing you next time Yujinie.” 

 

“You didn’t tell me you know them!” Yujin the remaining celebrity in the room. 

“You didn’t ask.” Wonyoung said, attitude doing a complete 180 with the idols gone. “Come on, if we go now you might catch a few glances at them before the car leaves.” 

When they reached the path to the car, fansites had already set up and were flashing their cameras nonstop. Yujin got as close as she physically could, arms up high to wave to the departing idols. 

“Minjoo!” Yujin felt an elbow dig into her back. A man with a pulled up hoodie shoved past, stepping on the toes of the outraged fansites. Eyes widening in shock, Yujin watched as the man reached out desperately for the unaware idol. Minjoo was trailing behind and the guards were too far away. They wouldn’t be able to get to Minjoo in time. 

Without thinking, a stream of electric waves had already flown past her fingertips. Striking the running man square on the back, it flickered out in an instant, leaving the man spasming on

Please log in to read the full chapter