prologue

Planets that meet in a fateful collision

Mina hates working a 12 hour job. Especially at a diner open for service 24/7 a day. She shifts through the morning, floats during the evening and counts the seconds down till she gets to go home when night comes rolling in. By the time she's finished wiping all the tables, the sky has already settled into a dark blanket only guided by the tranquil luminscence of the moonlight and lampposts, road beginning to turn into a lulling tune with all its incessant background noise.

 

After awhile, after getting used to the same routine, seeing the same things - Mina started to take notice of her surroundings more often. She observed the sequence of her day - albeit knowing it all by heart, she decided to sit and grab a magnifying glass to really knuckle it down to the core. Till she could vividly see the details, spot any little change or embroided intricacies. Now, she could at least say she appreciated the landscape of their soothing estatablishment. They'd just gotten a new plant, too - a calathea plant. 

 

Mina tightened the reigns of her hair tie and crooned her neck until she heard the soft click rattling from her bones. A sigh escaped her lips, hands naturally going down to pad at the wrinkles lining her skirt. Mina arranged the items ontop of the table, straightening them whilsts humming under her breath as she did so. She pivoted on her feet in a swift manner then began walking towards the front counter. She slipped behind it and waved at the plant glowing in the dim, quiet and sedated atmosphere the diner was soulfully emitting. Even the radio playing on the down low was mum compared to the rest of the diner - heavy rainpour flowing non-stop, like a tap - gentle tapping that went on and on. Mina glanced at the window and thanked whatever heaven existed for letting her remember to buy an umbrella today. She didn't want a recreation of what happened last time. Just the thought gave her chills - and not because of how freezing cold she was, though that is a valid point to consider.

 

Mina skimmed her tongue along her bottom lip, a habit she'd blame - then reached her hand out to cup one of the plants green leaves. Mina felt the crease of  slightly quirck up, a squeal of delight expressing through her movement, her excited jumps and enthusiastic gestures. I'm glad we have these here... It's like I have my own pocket-sized friend.

 

"We're doing good, right little guy? are you okay?" Mina whispered, not caring if she was caught blantantly talking with a plant. She was perched onto the counter, smiling while leaning into the plant - caressing it, putting effort into making a conversation with it. After all, first to animals - for Mina, personally, plants and flowers and anything to do with the sort were 10× better than deceitful humans.

 

Besides, people barely came around at this hour... if not none. But, as if the universe had been eavesdropping, listening to what she had read aloud, the doorbell suddenly... rang.