girls

girls ; seulrene

Seulgi pushed her light brown bangs out of her eyes, giving her head a little shake to put them into place, causing her ponytail to slightly wiggle. The beanbag she fell into was cool, allowing her to begin to cool down from the outside heat. Irene fell onto her fluffy duvet, a huff coming out as her body hit. The two were sweating; it was a 20 minute walk back home and it was boiling outside. If you'd tell them that it was hot enough to melt steel, they'd believe you. No breeze, only humidity. Sometimes the two hated living right on the coast. Sure, they had the beach, but if the sun killed them what fun would the beach be?

"You need to get your fan fixed." Seulgi said, her head falling back to look up at the ceiling. The fan was stagnant.

Irene let out a dry laugh, "Are you gonna be the one to convince my mom?"

Seulgi blew air out her nose, knowing that Irene was right. Her mother would never pay to get the fan fixed. They didn't even know what was wrong with it or how much it would cost to fix it, so Irene was stuck with a clip-on fan that she had brought back from college for the summer. Irene turned her head to look at her best friend, moving the fan at the end of her bed to face the same direction as her gaze. Seulgi let out a thankful groan, extending her arms out and away from her body, basking in the cool air.

"Let's move to Canada or something. It's always cold there." The brunette said, causing a Irene's heart to speed up. She had to mentally slap herself as it did; this was her best friend. What would she do if Seulgi were to ever find out about the massive crush she had on her? Irene didn't even want to imagine how awkward it'd be, and on top of it all, she'd almost 100% lose her best friend. But, she couldn't help it. Every little thing about Seulgi made Irene stupidly happy: the way her eyes would scrunch up when she was happy, the way her ponytail swung when she walked, even the way she tired her shoes . . . Irene just wanted to hold her and be with her.

What Irene didn't know, however, was that Seulgi felt the exact same way.

To Seulgi, Irene could do nothing wrong in the world. Her slightly curled black hair and short bangs made her look like she was a fairy. Irene was, in the eyes of Seulgi, perfect. Her mannerisms, her body, her everything: Irene was all Seulgi ever wanted, but she was her best friend. It was off limits. Not to mention, if they were ever caught, they would be immediately kicked out by their parents.

-

As the sun began to set, the two decided to leave the house once more for a dinner by the ocean even though it was still humid and the air heavy. They grabbed boxes of chicken from a shop, and soon they were off. They kept laughing as the sun continued to sink below the horizon. There was something different about the night; the lingering glances they two normally gave seemed to last a second longer than normal, no longer afraid of looking away when the other noticed. The light orange coming from the streetlights made everything seem warmer.

The two were sitting on a blanket with their toes in the sand, the water crashing over their feet every few seconds. The boxes of chicken sat between them, getting ransacked when one of the pair cleaned off a bone. When they drew to the end of the bucket, Seulgi reached over to grab her phone, pressing shuffle on her "night at the beach" playlist. The two watched the horizon, the starts starting to show more prominently; only a sliver of the sun was left. Seulgi took this as a que, standing and grabbing her shirt by the waist and peeling it off her body, leaving her in nothing more than her bra. The elder looked up at her best friend in disbelief before laughing and standing to do the same. There was something different about tonight.

Their shirts hit the sand, forgotten as they ran into the sea, Seulgi's music still in hearing distance, but the waves required them to listen a little harder.

Right before the sun completely disappeared, the two stood in the mid-calf height water, looking at the other. The song changed.

"they're so pretty, it hurts . . ."

The two best friends spoke in unison, neither knowing the other knew the song. "I'm not talkin 'bout boys, I'm talkin 'bout girls."

Irene placed her hand onto Seulgi's face, the only light left from the stars. If it hadn't been night, Irene probably wouldn't have had the confidence. She got on her toes and pressed her lips to Seulgi's. When she pulled away, her heart started beating quickly. Why did she do that? Her worries melted away, though, because Seulgi let out a laugh and pulled Irene back into a kiss, the two falling into the water.