Part 1

A One Night Stand in Boston
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Our ETA is 11.30am Boston time.”

“Okay.”

“I will still send you a text on this.”

“Yes mum.”

“Choi Sooyoung, aren’t you excited that we are coming all the way to Boston to see you?”

“Mum, of course I am. I’m just a bit tired now.”

“Please don’t forget to pick us up from the airport tomorrow.”

“I wont.”

“You said that the last time.”

“Mum, it only happened once.”

“Okay, please get some rest. You work too hard honey.”

“Yes I’m heading home in a while.”

Sooyoung had been staying in Boston for almost a year now. She was working in Seoul previously, but when she was offered to be the Deputy Director of Customer Experience in the HQ of Mercedes-Benz USA, it was certainly an easy decision for her.

She than landed her back on her leather high back chair while staring out the office window. The view was overlooking the city of Boston. The night lights were beautiful, she just couldn’t get enough of it. Living in Boston had been the best decision of her life.

“Ms Sooyoung, you are still here?” Suddenly a voice interrupted her. It was her assistant, Ashley.  

“Yeah, I’m just wrapping up. You know I’ll be off for a week. So I don’t want to leave anything pending.” Sooyoung responded with her tired smile. Since her parents would be visiting, she had taken a week off from work. “Why are YOU still here at this time?” Sooyoung asked her assistant back.

“Hmm long story. My roommate is having her boyfriend over for dinner. I can only go back in an hour time.” She explained.

“That .” Sooyoung smiled.

“Really .” She agreed. “Anyways, do you need me with anything, before you go back?” She asked politely to her boss.

“No Ash. I’m good.” Sooyoung nodded her head.

“Please go home now. It’s almost 11pm.” Her assistant said.

“Yes yes. I am.” Sooyoung stood up from her chair and then she stretched her arms.

“Have a good leave Ms Sooyoung. I will see you in a week .”

Sooyoung left the HQ building of Mercedes-Benz USA in her red wine GLE 450 AMG Coupe. Before going home, she decided to stop by a bar nearby her house to have a few drinks. Having her parents over her place for a week can be a bit stressful.

She then parked her car at the basement of her housing are and then had a short chilly night walk to the bar. After 15minutes of walking outside in the cold, she finally reached the bar and went straight to the bar seating area.

“Do you have anything with ginger?” Sooyoung asked the bartender. Of course, she wanted to get drunk, but she didn’t want to take the risk of not being able to wake up tomorrow. Since her parents would reach Boston in the morning, light alcoholic drinks would be the only option for her that night.

“Whiskey with ginger ale sounds good to you?” The lady bartender suggested.

“Yes, sounds great.” Sooyoung smiled. She then took out her phone from her jacket to check on her messages. While she was looking through her messages, she heard someone was speaking in Korean. She switched her attention towards the person and saw it was a woman who was sitting a few seats away from her at the bar seat.

It was certainly nice to be able to see a fellow Korean in the city. Sooyoung had rarely encountered that many Koreans while she was in Boston. Or maybe because she was not out in the city that much. She was always busy with work.

After the woman was done with her phone call, Sooyoung decided to brave herself to greet the woman. “Annyeong.” She greeted with a smile.

“Oh hi.” The woman responded back in an American English accent. “I’m sorry. Was I loud just now?” She apologized.

“Ah not at all. There’s nothing to be sorry for.” Sooyoung lied. The woman was actually loud but she didn’t mind at all.

“Whiskey with Ginger Ale.” The lady bartender interrupted and placed the drink in front of Sooyoung. “Oh Thanks.” Sooyoung smiled.

“You are drinking whiskey ginger on a Friday night?” The woman asked in a surprise playful tone.

“Hmm yeah. Please don’t judge me. I have an important occasion tomorrow. I really can’t afford to get overly drunk.” Sooyoung chuckled before she took a sip of the drink. The woman on the other hand was having a vodka.

“No worries. No judgement here.” She smiled. The woman was beautiful. Without realizing, Sooyoung was captivated. Surprisingly, the woman then changed her place to be nearer to Sooyoung.

“Apparently, I am also having an extremely important occasion tomorrow. But on the opposite, I need myself to get overly drunk for it.” She then revealed. Sooyoung just laughed over the remarks.

“Well, what can be more important than having your parents flying 10,935km to spend time with you for a week.” Sooyoung said.

“Ohh your parents are coming over from South Korea?” The woman smiled.

“Yep.” Sooyoung nodded.

“Well, I would rather have my parents over for a week for the purpose of spending time with me, than having them over for the purpose of forcing you to accept the hand in marriage with some stranger.”  

“Oh my..” Sooyoung mumbled. “Okay you win.” Sooyoung smiled. The woman just chuckled before she sipped her vodka. If Sooyoung was in the woman’s place, she would also be drinking like crazy.

 “By the way, I’m Sooyoung.”

“Tiffany. Nice to meet you in this wonderful City of Boston.” She smiled and offered Sooyoung a handshake.

“Likewise, Tiffany.” Of course, Sooyoung returned the handshake with a smile. There was something about the woman that made Sooyoung felt warm inside.

“Anyways, what brings you here in Boston?” This woman named Tiffany asked her.

“Work basically. I just got transferred here a year ago.” Sooyoung informed. “How about you?” She asked the woman in return.

“Well, I am actually a proud American citizen. Born and bred here.” She revealed.

“Wow, okay.” Sooyoung nodded her head. Honestly, she was slightly surprised.

“You seem surprised.” She smiled.

“Yeah a bit. For someone who spends her whole life not in Korea, your Korean is even better than I am.” Sooyoung commented. Tiffany laughed over the remarks.

“Well, I spent my whole childhood with my grandparents who couldn’t barely speak English. I am really close with them.” She explained.

“Ah I see.” Sooyoung finally understood. “And I do visit Seoul from time to time. My cousins are all there.” She added.

“Enough about me. What do you for a living?” She asked. She seemed so interested to know.

“Hmm nothing much. I’m in the automotive industry. I don’t think you would be interested to know.” Sooyoung chuckled.

“Automotive??? As in cars?” She asked in surprise. “Oh my god. I didn’t expect that at all.” She added.

“You seemed surprised.” Sooyoung used the exact same sentenced the woman used against her earlier.  “How can I not be surprised. You seemed too elegant and beautiful to be in a male dominated industry.” She said. Sooyoung went blushing instantly.

“I’m not actually at the front-line repairing cars or anything.” Sooyoung quickly informed. “I’m just at the back end overseeing the whole operation in terms of the customers experience.” She added.

“You must be really good at what you do.” Tiffany smiled.

“Hmm I’m doing okay I guess.” Sooyoung chuckled. “But like you said, it’s a male-dominated industry, you really have to be one step ahead of everyone. I won’t lie though; it is definitely tough.” She added.

Before Tiffany

Please log in to read the full chapter