Chapter 1 -- Parting For Seoul

As Fate Would Have It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

This particular morning was rather cold, you remember, icy rain coming down in sheets outside the window. Your bed was warm, and you didn't particularly wish to leave its comforting hold.
Yesterday had been your 14th birthday, but you didn't feel any different. There was nothing new and exciting about this change. When you looked at yourself in the mirror, the same reflection as always stared back at you... the only difference being that, now, this girl had a new pair of earrings. Not a major evolution, or one at all, really.

"Umma..." You murmured the word quietly to yourself closing your eyes, too many memories to count flooding your brain. Some good, some painful enough to almost bring tears to your eyes.
Your mother had left 2 years ago. She had been cheating on your father with a coworker, and, eventually, he found out. You remember the nights of lying awake, listening to the fights they thought you couldn't hear, praying that your father wouldn't kill himself over this. He had always had some depression issues, and this only worsened it. She had, eventually, left, leaving you behind to comfort your father. To listen to him and to watch him cry. He had been in love... even now, you wonder if he had ever completely gotten over her.

But, you keep these thoughts to yourself, and try your best to destroy the memories that haunt you. Those nights were in the past now, and you had to it up and deal. Your father eventually had. He was even remarried at this point in his life. He was happy, and you knew that you should be, too.

A quiet, almost silent, sigh left your lips and you turned over in bed, making an attempt to go back to sleep. Unfortunately, it was in vain. There was a knock on the door, followed by a call of your name. It wasn't angered, simply questioning. Questioning whether she was up yet.

Stealing a glance at the clock, you remind yourself that summer vacation had already started, and there was no need for you to be up this early. Couldn't you just be left alone for another couple of hours? It was only 7! Not wanting to start an argument with your father, you got out of bed, stretching before walking across your room to the door. For a moment, you stare at the collage on your door. It includes not only American bands and singers, but those from South Korea as well. After your mother had broken up with her boyfriend, she moved back to Seoul to stay with her sister. By now she had her own home, and a new fiance. Her fiance was working with SM Entertainment and this is how you had kept up to date with the newest artists that were debuting in South Korea. Recently, he had told you about plans for a group to debut next year.

Honestly, with what you had seen and heard from your soon to be step-father, he appeared to be rather nice. You were happy that she had found somebody like him, despite the fact that you still held a bit of a grudge against the woman who had given you life.

This summer, you were going to visit them for a few months... mostly so that you could attend their wedding, which, now that you remember, was exactly a month from today. Though, you couldn't remember when exactly you were going there...

"SooYon!" Your father's voice called your name once more, a little louder this time, before you snapped back to reality. You rolled your eyes then opened the door. He didn't have to be so loud. Especially not when you were still half asleep.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter