fin

Royal Cake of Doom

This was the result of what my brain came up. Please ignore any grammatical errors or typos, I wrote this hastily and only briefly edited it.

***

"What's this?"

Seungwan looks at the black, Venetian styled mask that Seulgi hands her as she holds onto a similar one in her own hands.

"Your mask."

"For what?" It's simply designed and appears to only cover the top half of the face, but not so much that the person wearing it wasn't recognisable up close.

"Apparently, there's going to be a masquerade ball before the state dinner. The Captain's advised that we'll be in the crowd as undercover so they don't want our presence to be obvious."

Over the last few days, esteemed guests from around the world slowly trickled through the palace gates for the upcoming state dinner, leaving the palace staff in a constant whirlwind frantically running about with the myriad of tasks that needed to be completed. The palace had been completely upturned and not a nook or cranny was spared as it underwent a deep clean that it practically sparkled.

Old rugs were tossed out and new ones were rolled in, decorations hung brilliantly in the banquet hall as well as the ballroom, and hundreds of uniform and clothing hung neatly on racks after hours of washing and ironing. Anything less than pristine was simply unacceptable.

Seungwan, on the other hand, had far more pressing concerns.

"Does that mean we'll have to dance?"

"Potentially."

She grimaces. Seungwan was far more suited for other 'activities', in particular those along the lines of chasing after suspects or preventing potential assaults or responding to assassination attempts.

Dancing? Not so much.

"Which brings me to my next point. I'm going to need your help with something."

She eyes the mono-lid woman suspiciously. "What is it?"

"Well, Princess Joohyun doesn't actually know how to dance either, so the Queen's assigned me to teach her the Waltz and she needs a dance partner..." Seulgi trails off with a sheepish look on her face, "and I kind of told her you agreed."

Seungwan's complexion darkens and Seulgi finds herself unconsciously taking a step back.

"Kang Seulgi, you know I can't dance." She says in a low tone.

"Exactly, so why not kill two birds with one stone right?" Seulgi grins at her enthusiastically. Far too enthusiastic for someone Seungwan's itching to slap across the head.

"Look, I promise you it won't be that bad. It'll just be me, you and Princess Joohyun, and plus, you're going to have to learn how to dance anyway if we're going covert."

"Easy for you to say. You're not the one who's going to be making a fool of herself." Seungwan retorts. “When do we start?" She sulks, not seeing how this was possibly going to end well for her.

"Well, I thought you'd never ask." Seulgi beams at her with that stupid grin on her face.

"Don't push your luck."

Seulgi ignores her glare and slings an arm around her shoulder as they walk out of the locker room. "I was thinking of starting this evening after your shift was over. It'll give us enough time for me to teach you the steps and for you guys to practice it before the ball."

"I really hate you. You could've literally asked anyone else to be her dance partner."

Seulgi gives her a knowing look. "We both know that Princess Joohyun would not be comfortable with anyone else. Besides, Sooyoung and Yeri already partnered up so that only left you."

She raised her eyebrow. "Sooyoung and Yeri? Dancing together?"

"Don't remind me. I was this close, this close, to killing them myself." Seulgi scowls. "Just meet me at the ballroom once you're done for the day, okay?"

"Sure."

It couldn't be that bad right?

***

She was wrong.

"One and two, and one and tw– stop, stop, stop." The music cuts off abruptly.

Instructor Kang was being scary again.

Seungwan darts her eyes away from the piercing glare of her friend as she broke apart from Joohyun. They've been in the ballroom over the past hour and a half, getting the basic footwork down to pat and now it was time to put it all together.

Except, that was the problem.

She couldn't put it together. Not when Joohyun was flushed up against her body and staring at her with those eyes that made her heart flip flop back and forth. Joohyun had naturally picked up the dance steps rather quickly but with Seungwan's compromised focus, her struggles ensued in a rather awkward and disjointed movement.

She blames it on the eyes. Damn those soft, round, mesmerising eyes.

"Seungwan. You need to relax your body. The waltz is meant to be an elegant and fluid dance; you're too stiff and it makes you look unnatural."

"This is a lot harder than you think okay?"

She grumbles, getting into position once more with her right hand on Joohyun's lower back whilst clasping their left hand together. The warmth of Joohyun's body against her own sends tingles down Seungwan's spine and she tries not to think too much about it but inwardly concedes that she is miserably failing.

"I need you both to be closer as well. Remember, you want to be moving as one."

Closer? How much closer do you want us to be? Seungwan was already having a mental breakdown trying to breathe with Joohyun so close to her face. The fact that her entire being had yet to combust was a miracle.

"Alright, let's try this again."

They start moving when the music comes to life and Seungwan takes slow, deep breaths hoping it would ease her tension. She keeps her gaze directed over Joohyun's shoulders, paying close attention to her footsteps as they spin around to the beat of Seulgi's count.

For a moment, everything appears to be going smoothly, but Seungwan makes the mistake of accidentally locking gaze with Joohyun and her mind proceeds to itself as her legs to turn to jelly. The sudden halt in momentum throws them off balance sending them tumbling to the floor.

"Ow." Joohyun groans, embraced in Seungwan's arms.

"I'm so sorry, Your Highness."

The music cuts off again, except this time is replaced by the sound of Seulgi's laughter at the pitiful sight.

"Let's call it a night and we can continue practice tomorrow." She reaches out and helps Joohyun off of Seungwan who lays spread eagle on the floor.

"I'm not cut out for this."

"You're doing a lot better than I expected. In fact, I think you could rank in the top five dancers within the royal palace." Seulgi smirks.

"Oh, aren't you funny."

Seungwan picks up her jacket and turns to find Joohyun staring intently at her phone. It's been a couple days since the incident involving the cake and neither had spoken about that night in her room. They had fallen back to their usual rhythm and with everyone preoccupied by the preparations, there was very little chance to bring it up.

"Your Highness, is everything alright?" She holds the door open as they leave the ballroom.

Joohyun glances up.

"Oh. Yes, everything's alright." Her smile doesn't quite reach her eyes. "My mother just called me but it seems like I missed her call. I better head over."

Seungwan nods.

"We'll you there since it's pretty late right now." There was no place safer than the royal palace, but it was always better to be safe than sorry. Especially with the influx of foreign guests they now had.

"Actually, I might leave that to you Seungwan. I need to go back and give the Captain a briefing on my report. I'll see you both here tomorrow, same time alright?”

Seulgi waves and they part ways.

A comfortable silence lingers in the air as they cross the palace grounds and Seungwan greatly appreciates the fact that there was no need for redundant words to be spoken. They had formed a mutual understanding between one another where words weren't necessary at times, so it was no surprise that Seungwan could see, or rather feel, the state of unrest Joohyun thought she had concealed so well.

"Is everything okay, Your Highness?"

The question startles Joohyun out of her reverie, eyes blank before it dawned on her that Seungwan had asked her a question.

"Oh." Joohyun pauses for a brief moment and draws a blank, suddenly unsure of what to say. "I've just been thinking about all the tasks that still need to be completed and checked before the dinner."

The blonde makes a non-committal hum but doesn't push any further, but it's clear that she doesn't entirely believe the response. The rest of the walk is silent, save for the faint sounds of their footsteps and the occasional greeting from a palace staff they bump into.

"I'll wait out here."

Joohyun knocks on the mahogany doors and startles when it swings opens immediately where she is greeted by the face of her father.

"Wonderful timing, Joohyun." He pulls her into the room and shuts the door.

"Father, what are you doing here?" She asks as he drags her to the couch.

"There were a few things I needed to discuss with your mother so I figured I dropped by– I was actually about to leave. Why, aren't you happy to see me?"

Joohyun rolls her eyes. "You know that's not what I meant. I just didn't expect to see you here, that's all." She glances at her mother who was seated behind her desk typing away on her laptop.

"Was there something you needed to discuss with me?"

The Queen leans back and removes her glasses. A tired smile paints her face. "How did your dancing lesson go?"

Joohyun shrugs. "We're getting there."

"That's good." Her mother looks at her with an unreadable, steady gaze and it has Joohyun fidgeting nervously in her seat.

"Is there something wrong?"

The Queen sighs. "Joohyun, I'll be straight to the point. You need to be more careful and consider the time and day of your actions."

A crease settles between her eyebrows as she tilts her head in confusion. "I...I don't follow?"

"I had someone report back to me that you were seen wandering around quite late in the royal guard's residence a couple nights ago." It was her father who spoke up this time. "Whilst we personally don't have any qualms with you visiting whoever you choose, your actions will always draw the attention of others and people will start to raise questions."

"I was just checking up on Lieutenant Son, that night. She fell ill because of me." Joohyun couldn't understand the fault in her actions for being concerned in another's wellbeing, particularly if she was the cause of it.

"I know sweetie, and there's nothing wrong with that but..." The King looks hesitant for a moment, as if carefully considering his next words but appears to forego it as a reluctant sigh escape his lips. "We see the way you look at Lieutenant Son."

Joohyun stiffens.

"And the reason why we haven't said anything and allowed her to stay by your side is because it hasn't been a problem. She does an excellent job at keeping you safe and her actions have yet to suggest otherwise. But, if her presence does become a problem, then we may need to reconsider her arrangement."

"What do you mean, if she becomes a problem? She hasn't done anything wrong." It was almost impossible to restrain the feeling of indignance in her voice at the accusation.

"Joohyun." Her mother starts. "We're not saying Lieutenant Son has done anything wrong, but a relationship between a Princess and her guard will not be kindly taken upon. Your father and I will turn a blind eye to this matter and will leave this in your hands; you're old enough to be aware of your actions. But the moment this becomes an issue, we will be stepping in."

There was a clear warning to her message, lips pressing into a thin line and although a part of Joohyun was grateful they trusted her to make the right decisions, it was unnerving to know that all it took was one wrong decision to swiftly end it all.

"I understand. Was there anything else you needed to discuss with me?" The strain in her voice is poorly concealed, her mind trying to reel in the tumultuous emotions tumbling inside.

"Don't think too much about it, Joohyun." Her father smiles warmly and pulls her into a hug. "We want you to live in a manner that you won't regret in the years to come by, but always remember your heritage and who you are."

Perhaps, she was thinking into this all too much. After all, she didn't know if Seungwan felt the same.

***

"TK and TQ have just entered the ballroom."

"Do we have a view on Watermelon?"

"Negative, she's been held up by a guest it se– oh wait, Melons has just entered the ballroom."

"Melons?"

The sound of Yeri snickering can be heard through the receiver and Seungwan closes her eyes, well aware of where this was going.

"Green, highly inappropriate right now."

"What? What's wrong with Melons? It's quicker than saying Watermelon, plus who doesn't like Melons?"

She pinches the bridge of her nose. "Green..."

"Alright, alright, I'll stop. Don't have a rack attack, sheesh."

"Team, can we please stop with the jokes." The reprimanding voice of their Captain cuts through effectively silencing them all. "Masks on and remember to keep your presence at a minimum."

A chorus of acknowledgement sounds through and the four of them begin their move, politely circling around guests whilst maintaining their eyes on signs that might be of any concern.

The white tie event was truly fit for a king and weeks of blood, sweat and tears had definitely paid off. The crystal chandeliers sparkled brilliantly above them where the fine pieces of decorations, carefully placed around the room, reflected off. The side doors of the ballroom leading to the balcony was opened wide providing a sweeping view of the palace landscape and the magnificent, illuminated fountain outside.

Men and women donned in their finest suits and dresses waltzed hand in hand, circling the floor as they changed partners. At first glance, it was rather confusing identifying who was beneath the mask, but it seems there was trivial sense of enjoyment to the anonymity, allowing partners to boldly strike up conversations without the need to be wary of diplomacy.

"God help me if I have to spin around one more time."

"Just be glad that dinner was scheduled after the ball and not before. I don't want to imagine the kind of surprise that would greet me in the face from all this spinning."

The younger duo's conversation echoes through the transmitter and for once, Seungwan has to agree.

"Update on status, team."

"I've got my eyes on TK and TQ right now. They're currently circling around the floor." Seulgi reports.

"You should have your eyes on me and maybe then you would stop stepping on my feet." Sooyoung replies.

"Well stop moving so fast, you're not even on beat to the music."

"Guys..."

"Sorry, Captain."

Seungwan resists the urge to face palm at the bickering and turns her attention to the floor. She spots Joohyun just as the latter was switching partners and could almost hear the laughter from the smile on her face.

"Blue, I'm leaving Watermelon to you."

"Copy."

It doesn't take long before Seungwan is swept away from the side lines and joins the fray, struggling to keep her eyes on Joohyun whilst staying on beat to the steps. But, alas, luck was not in her favour tonight and a misstep from Seungwan sends them bumping into the couple behind them.

"I'm so sorry." She fumbles out an apology but halts when she realises who they've bumped into. Despite having half of her face covered, Seungwan would've recognised the slope of her nose and the curve of her jawline, but it's the familiar pair of soft eyes that peek through the mask that really gives it away.

"Oh! Your Hig-"

"Irene. My name is Irene." Joohyun interrupts.

She catches the pressing look in the older woman's eyes. Seungwan clears . "Ah...nice to meet you, Irene. I'm so sorry for bumping into you, are you alright?"

Joohyun smiles, causally dismissing the apology with the wave of her hands. "I'm fine. Actually, I don't think we've yet to dance with one another, have we? Let's switch partners shall we."

"I-"

And before their partners or Seungwan has a chance to say anything, Joohyun pulls her by the hand back into the moving crowd. There's a sense of déjà vu as they twirl around, this time with practiced steps and relaxed movement.

"Not bad, Lieutenant Son." Joohyun compliments, a teasing glint in her eyes.

"What can I say, I had a very patient dance partner."

Joohyun laughs.

"I'm going to need your help with something though, Lieutenant."

Seungwan looks at Joohyun sceptically. "I don't know, Your Highness. I've heard this request too many times to know that more often than not, it just leads trouble."

"Oh, it's nothing drastic. I was just hoping you could help me ditch this event."

"Uh, Your Highness, The King and Queen–" Seungwan begins to reason but Joohyun cuts her off.

" –Won't know because we're all wearing masks and no one really knows who they're talking to. Besides, we can just step outside for a moment and only stay within the palace, I promise."

Seungwan sighs. "I don't have a choice, do I?"

Her answer comes in the form of a smirk that paints across Joohyun's face and right before their next cue to change partners, Joohyun breaks them away from the crowd and out onto the balcony overlooking the palace grounds.

The cool breeze is a refreshing welcome to the stuffiness inside but Joohyun doesn't stop moving and maintains her grip on Seungwan's hand, only letting go when they reach the brightly lit fountain.

The sound of running water echoes in the vicinity.

Seungwan watches as Joohyun closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, her chest rising and falling steadily, shoulders relaxed. The shadows of water spouting from the fountain reflects off of the lights and it basks her in an ethereal glow. She looked peaceful.

"A penny for your thoughts, Your Highness?"

Joohyun spins on her heels and faces Seungwan, hands clasp behind her back.

Under the starry lit sky, poised elegantly in front of the glowing fountain, she appeared every bit the royal Princess that she was. And it was in these rare moments, that Seungwan was reminded of who exactly she stood in the presence of.

It was fascinating to be privy to the many sides of the woman standing in front of her. Because behind the calculated words and graceful mannerisms was the playful banter and mischievous laughter of a young woman like any other.

A young woman who held her heart hostage.

"Joohyun. My name is Joohyun. You've never called me by my name, Seungwan."

"That would be inappropriate of me, Your Highness."

Joohyun frowns at the mention of her title. "I thought we were close." There's a hint of disappointment in her tone.

A gentle breeze passes, sending involuntary shivers down Joohyun's spine and Seungwan reacts by removing her blazer and drapes it across the Princess's shoulders. She takes Joohyun's hands and cups them into her own, rubbing them together in an attempt to warm them up.

"We are."

Their eyes meet.

"We are close." Seungwan repeats and she doesn't know what overcomes her, doesn't know where the courage comes from or what wills her to move, but she brings a hand up and softly cups Joohyun's cheek, her thumb delicately caressing the cold skin under her touch.

"I'll be right beside you, wherever you are."

"I didn't mean that, Seungwan." Joohyun replies melancholy and grabs the warm hand removing it from her cheek.

"Well, what do you mean?"

"I-" Joohyun catches herself. What did she mean? What did she want it to mean? Joohyun knew very well what she meant; it was just a matter of her finding the courage.

She stares blankly at the blonde. "I...I thought we were friends. Friends, call each other by their names."

"Just friends?"

The question throws her off. Maybe it was the trick of light because Seungwan looks at her like she knows.

"I overheard your conversation at the Queen's office the other night." The younger woman sheepishly admits. "The door must have been left ajar without anyone realising."

Seungwan chuckles at the look of horror that flashes across Joohyun's face and tightens her grip on the older woman's hands when she feels her begin to pull apart.

"Where do you think you're running off to, Joohyun."

Joohyun stills. The sound of her name rolling off of Seungwan's lips sounded so foreign, yet uttered with a familiarity that just felt right.

"Why are you looking at me like that, Joohyun. Do I have something on my face?" Seungwan questions innocently, but the teasing glint in her eyes is poorly hidden.

"What are you doing, Seungwan?"

"What are you doing, Joohyun?" She echoes. "I thought this was what you wanted. Isn't it normal to call the one you love by their name?"

It takes a heartbeat to process what's being said and Joohyun finds herself lost for words.

The younger woman interlaces their fingers. "Will Her Royal Highness, Princess Joohyun do me the honour of allowing me to hold her hand and to never let go? To selfishly love her, forever and always?"

Joohyun thought she saw a slight tremor of fear from the pair of intense orbs that was waiting for her answer. Or maybe it was the glaze over her eyes

"Forever?" Joohyun whispers.

"Forever."

"Then, that's a promise."

"Your wish is my command, Princess." And with her gaze locked onto Joohyun's, Seungwan brings their clasped hand towards and gently places a kiss on the back of Joohyun's hand.

~

Realistically speaking, Joohyun's parents would have not allowed her to develop a relationship with Seungwan. But because I wanted this to be light and drama free, her parents are very understanding and chill in this story lol

I realise that as I write, it's very difficult to flesh out the character's emotions so some parts might appear very shallow? Brief? I'm still working on that and the idea is that I'll progressively get better the more I write, so excuse that in the meantime. Having said that, I really at coming up with plots...So don't really know when the next I write will be

If you've enjoyed this, let me know. If you haven't, also let me know and tell me why; I'm very open to constructive criticisms so it would be interesting to understand what I'm lacking from a reader's point of view. Also let me know of what you would like to see in the future as well.

Now, the real question. Did Joohyun's father purposely leave the door ajar...;)