...

Eyes Can Sink
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

...

 

Eyes Can Sink

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene smiled at the text.

She put her phone down and began to brush her teeth and finish her morning routine. Her mother's daily cheerful messages didn't fail to make her smile. 

 

 

 

As she stares at her reflection in the mirror, her mind wandered to a silly comment. Of how she, Irene Bae, could make anyone do as she says. No matter how ridiculous they may be. She laughed at what had the staff had said last week after finishing a schedule.

 

Although to be fair that wasn't the first time she was addressed such flattery. She was aware of how much her name Irene or her real name Joohyun had made waves in the heart of her country and even oustide it.

 

She closed her eyes. Reminding herself, amidst all just like her father's sweet voice would say. "Stay grounded, Joohyun or else you would lose yourself".

 

Her father didn't have to elaborate on what ocean she might drown from, if she ever lets everything get into her head.

 

"Ground yourself," She whispers to no one. 

 

 

 

 

It anchors her. Knowing she is blessed so much but sometimes she wonders of the walls beyond her fantasy like reality.

Of who would have Joohyun become. She delves to various possibilities that she keeps to herself.

 

 

"Unnie, they are on their way. You ready?" Seulgi's smile is ever so kind.

Irene nodded. 

 

 

"Food's soon to be done" She assured Seulgi.

 

 

"Great. I think Joy brought some alcohol and Byul probably brought some dessert" Seulgi shared, enthusiasm present.

Irene laugh at her excitement of seeing some of her friends. Joy had been staying with her parents in this pandemic and Irene hadn't seen her in a while. Unfortunately, Yeri and Wendy can't come in their small get together. Seulgi was able to invite a friend of hers that Irene is also familiar with due to the industry they all belong. She had alwasy got the impression of funny yet awkard Moonbyul. One common denominator she found after she wondered what brought Seulgi and Moonbyul close is their humility. 

Humble idiots, she giggled to herself.

 

 

 

 

After so much teasing,

"Yah! Fine, one sip!" And Irene the non-alcoholic took a sip. No surpise. Her face painted the taste. Bitter!

 

 

Chuckles grew as she waved her hands around signaling that's it. She was done being pressured to taste the horrible liquid.

"Here unnie" Joy, out of mercy, gave her some cola to wash over the unsatisfactory taste.

 

 

Irene glared and pushed Seulgi who high five Moonbyul at the older's funny reaction.

 

 

 

 

As the laughter once again died down, a serious presence overcame them.

"So what's next in your plans this year?" Moonbyul moved the flow. Taking into consideration the amount she had drunk. So far, she's still good.

 

 

"Well, given the circumstances now, we are banking on online promotions but focusing on how to make creativity boost greater reach." Seulgi states as Moon yul nods.

 

Irene watches as Joy stops chewing to add her thoughts. "This is really a weird, weird and bad time. Who ever taught we would really be at this kind of point. I really think the whole not only for the entertainment industry but for all will have to adapt in a very fast paced manner to stay in the competition. But there is also the difficulty of the economy and growing unemployment. Many are going to suffer for much longer" 

 

Irene always admire Joy's way of thinking and in this one, she could not agree more. Even if they could adapt with this new normal, there will be many especially vulnerable one's that would be affected permanently. As if the world wasn't burning enough before such pandemic.

"As if the world isn't damned enough without this new virus" Moonbyul took the word from her thoughts. Irene was slightly startled.

"The government need to really step up before everything crumbles further" Seulgi noted before frowning.

 

 

Joy saw it as well. "Agh" She groaned. "We really finished earlier than expected. Bunch of alcoholic unnies" She mockingly whispered.

 

 

"Yah! Don't include me" Irene's protests drown in the laughter that echoed from the three bullies of the night.

It was such a feather-like feeling. To be surrounded by warm food and companions in a time seemingly so dire. Irene feels this luck being in that very bright moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Unnie, I have to drive Joy home now, her mom is calling her already. Apparently she didn't ask for permission" Seulgi informed Irene who placed the dishes on the sink.

 

 

"Yah, Joy. Seriously?" Irene shouted and Joy's apology was heard from the living room.

 

"She would have just nagged me to stay." Joy defended herself.

 

"Still. You will hear worse now that you've lied to her" Moonbyul told the girl knowing such a mistake done. A mother's wrath is never something to summon.

 


 

 

"Is it okay for Moonbyul to stay? I invited her to watch a movie with us besides she's just going to go home in an empty apartment" 

 

 

Irene, of course, understood Seulgi's care and desire to have Moonbyul longer.

 

"Seul, there's no problem. Be careful though since it might rain"

 

 

Seulgi nodded before getting Joy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"See you again next drinking sesh, kid" Irene heard Moonbyul bid Joy. It's not too long before Joy complained for being addressed as a 'kid'.

But Irene agrees Joy is a kid despite how tall and grown up she think she is.

 

 

The door is heard being slammed close.

 

 

Irene found herself straightening her posture.

Sometimes, she found herself slouching. She's trying to erase that unhealthy and maybe personally an unsightly habit.

 

 

"Unnie, shall I put this in the fridge?" Irene jumped at the sudden voice, She was too in her head to regard the footsteps.

 

 

"Why are you so jumpy?" Moonbyul's chuckles were timid but vibrant. 

 

 

"Sorry, I didn't hear you. Just place it in there. Thanks" Irene stepped forward for Moonbyul to pass through. A scent lingering as she does.

 

 

"Can I please help you? It's uncomfortable to let you do the dishes unnie," Moonbyul was standing a few feet away. Awkward pose and a grimace.

Irene shook her head. "Please, you are a guest and I'm about to be done soon"

 

 

Moonbyul hadn't said anything so Irene looked at her. "I'm serious, go and rest Moonbyul" 

She didn't mean to sound commanding but she thinks it came out that way. Because Moonbyul who had a bit too much a while ago, scurried back to the living room. The television was there left with a drama playing.

 

 

 

 

 

In a short while, Irene was done and the kitchen was neat and clean once more. She brought out two glasses of water and brought them into the living room.

 

 

"Thanks unnie," Moonbyul accepted the water. The sat on either end of the comfortable gray couch.

 

 

"Um, thank you for visiting us despite your own schedule" Irene remembered the surprise Seulgi had when Moonbyul had finally confirmed her attendance.

Moonbyul felt the need to bow as she felt like blushing. "Oh no, I'm thankful to be invited since home can be lonely"

 

 

Irene nodded.

 

 

"Still, Seulgi really appreciates you for being here. You seem

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter