one

Kiss of Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There are certain rules in place to ensure that the paths of mortals and immortals never intersect.

 

1. Gods are not allowed to reveal their existence to mortals.

2. Gods are not allowed to meddle in the lives of mortals.

Lastly, the third and most important rule of all.

3. Gods are not allowed to pursue relationships with mortals.


But there is one thing that is so powerful that not even a god could withstand it: true love.

 

- ψ -

 

Kai, a relatively young immortal, enjoyed the simplicity of the mortal world. The world of the Gods was lonely, and lacked a sense of warmth and community. Most immortals spend their time bickering amongst each other or wrecking havoc on the world.

As the god of travel, Kai was free to roam wherever he pleased.

At the moment, he was visiting a small village deep in the country. The weather was nice, and the people were very open and friendly. Young children chased one another through the dirt roads. The air was filled with laughter and the sharp scent of spices.

Rounding the corner of a fabric shop, Kai felt a small body collide with his chest. His hands immediately latched onto the human's shoulders to keep them upright.

"I'm so sorry," a breathless female voice spoke.

The girl before him was several inches shorter than him. She held a dusty, beaten-down ball against her chest, unconcerned with the dirt now staining her pink hanbok. Her long hair, which he assumed had been tied back with a ribbon, was now disheveled and floating around her delicate features.

Her smile, however, was his favorite. It was crooked and carefree and perfect in his eyes.

A small group of children were gathered behind the young woman, waiting for her to return to whatever game they had been playing.

"It's alright," Kai finally responded. The girl pulled away from him, shyly tucking her loose hairs behind her ear. "Do you mind if I join in?" He asked. He was curious to experience more of the human lifestyle.

"Of course," the girl replied. "My name is Jeon Yunhee."

Kai paused before introducing himself.

"Kai."

 

- ψ -

 

Once again, Kai found himself at the village. It had been months since he's first trip here. Although he'd explored other places around the world, he continued to come back to this particular village. Women called out to him as he passed, offering him things to buy.

"Such a handsome young man! Would you like to buy a few flowers for a special someone?" One elderly woman crooned from beside her cart of fresh flowers. Kai shook his head with a blush, causing the old man to coo at him.

"Young man, you're far too skinny! You need to eat more!" Another woman voiced her worries. "Come inside my shop. I'll make you a nice, hot bowl of ox bone soup!"

Kai waved off her concern with a polite smile. He continued to walk around before settling underneath a tree. The shade was a nice break from the constant heat.

He heard a familiar giggle ring out.

The young god quickly spotted Yunhee crouched in the tall grass a few feet away from him. Pulling himself to his feet, he went over to where she was.

"What are you doing?" He called to her.

Yunhee turned towards him, her eyes wide in surprise. Her hands were cupping a small white kitten, whose paw was swatting playfully at her nose.

"Oh, hello," she greeted him with pink cheeks. "I found him this morning. The poor thing was starving." Kai watched her worry over the small creature, who basked in her attention.

An unfamiliar warmth filled his chest.

What is this feeling? He wondered to himself.

 

- ψ -

 

The next time Kai visited the village, he bought daisies from the old woman's flower cart, and enjoyed a bowl of ox bone soup at the persistence of the shop owner. Since he was immortal, he didn't necessarily need to eat, but he chose to try the human food at the stubborn woman's insistence. It tasted like nothing to him, but the young god was quick to compliment the woman's cooking.

After searching high and low, Kai finally found Yunhee exiting the fabric shop with a new pink ribbon in her hand. Kai took a deep breath before calling her name. Yunhee immediately beamed at the sight of him. He walked over to her, keeping his hands hidden behind his back.

"Hello," she greeted him happily.

Kai's lips instantly lifted into a soft smile. "Hello," he greeted her back. "That's a very nice ribbon." He complimented, nodding towards the piece of silk in her hand.

"Thank you," she ducked her head shyly. "What brings you here?"

"I wanted to give you these," he replied, revealing the daises he'd been hiding behind his back. She gasped softly before graciously accepting them.

"Daisies are my favorite! They're lovely," she sighed, inhaling the flowers' sweet scent. "Thank you, Kai." Her smile was so bright that it was almost blinding. Kai still couldn't explain what it was that he was feeing inside whenever he was around Yunhee. He'd never felt this way before, but this particular human always managed to make him feel accepted.

Normal.

A word he'd never associated himself with before. Like they were just like any other boy and girl, not two completely different beings from two c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter