one day we'll be gone from each other

home for the summer

When we're

Home for the summer

We won't have to work so we're gonna

Do whatever the hell we wanna

'Cause we know that one day we'll be

Gone from each other


 

Family friends are a different type of friend. They’re the ones that have known you the longest. They’ve seen you grow as much as you’ve watched them become their own person. It’s like having a sibling in the form of someone you actually chose to be by your side.

That’s exactly who Chan was to you.You were one of the few that was actually used to calling him that. Or at least, you had been one of the few. At school, he answered to Chris. Out in public, he introduced himself as Chris. To almost everyone else, he’d always been Chris.

That move to Seoul had changed a lot. Including the intimacy behind the name. Chan had become a household name. People  left and right were screaming his name in crowds everywhere he went. The members of his band said it so casually. Seeing it all happen on TV in front of you was jarring at first. It took a lot of getting used to.

So did seeing him change.

Although he would say the same about you.

Your mother entered the living room, breezing past you to take food out to the backyard. She was talking to the people outside. They were organizing food on the table and putting up decorations. It was the celebration of the year.

Chan was coming home.

His parents’ home was in the middle of renovations, so the festivities were moved to your parents’ home instead. Your mom was taking this very seriously. She’d been a whirlwind of hospitality the whole week. 

Chan’s dad had left an hour ago to pick him up from the airport. The minutes were counting down until it was time for him to enter that backyard. 

“It’s been so long.” Chan’s mom stood beside you, her eyes sparkling with excitement. “I can’t wait to see him. I hope he’s hungry.”

You smiled, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “I’m sure he will be.”

He entered through the gate to the roar of applause. Both your families were here along with old classmates that he’d kept in touch with. Even through that crowd though, all you saw was him.

Somehow--even through all that it had gone through--his curly hair stuck out as much as it had always done. His mom tried to smooth it down as she greeted him, but to no avail. His smile was the same, big and bright. 

You thought back to all the times it had been just you causing him to smile that big. Inside jokes, stupid pranks, and crazy songs the two of you had made it up spun around in your head as he came closer. 

After hugging the last of the aunts, he stopped in front of you.

“Welcome back.” You were enveloped into his arms, feeling the warmth of the sun. Or maybe it was just Chan that was so warm. 

“It’s good to be back. Even if it’s just for a little while.” He pulled away to look at your face. “You look good!”

“Of course I do!” You laughed, lightly pushing his arm. “I’ve always looked good!”

He rolled his eyes at you, ever amused at your confidence. 

Before any more conversation could continue, Chan was ushered to the table by his mom. The evening continued with all attention on him as he ate. He shared stories about tours and traveling. He spoke of his work and the music he was working on. He told everyone about fond memories he’d been able to make with the boys of Stray Kids. 

It wasn’t until it had gotten dark outside that people began to migrate towards inside.

Chan found you on the patio after it had begun to die down and everyone was relaxing.

He sat down on the step beside you and gazed up at the stars.

“Everything still looks the same.”

You turned to look at his face, noticing his matured features. “Almost everything.”

Facing you, Chan nodded in agreement. “I’m sorry it took me so long to come visit again. With comebacks and promotions, it’s been--”

“Oh, I’m sure it’s been busy.” You smiled. “I can’t even begin to imagine.”

“I’m sure you can relate more than you realize. I’ve heard you’ve been busy too.” Chan sat up straighter, an excited smile spreading across his face. “How’s the baby?”

Your smile mirrored his. “She’s the best. Sleeps and eats like a champ.” You pulled out your phone, going through photos to show Chan. “She’s eight months now. She has an ear infection so she stayed home with her dad tonight.”

Chan chuckled. “She looks like you.”

“Lucky her.” You couldn’t hide the pride in your voice, gazing adoringly at the photos of your baby girl. You’d never imagined you could love someone as much as you loved that little girl. Nothing had prepared you for the amount of the love that was constantly pouring out of you for her. 

“Can you believe this? Remember when we used to talk about our futures as kids? Who would have thought this is where we would be?” Chan mused, still gazing down at the picture of your baby girl. “I mean, this is crazy.”

“Yeah,” you mumbled. “I don’t think there was any way to be prepared for this.”