End.

Footprints to the Past (ONE SHOT)

 

 

 

September 14th 2020, t u e s d a y

 

“007, nightingale 90 degrees to the left” said one of my subordinates

 

I spun exactly 90 degrees, and shot, however then retreated quickly to scan who else was in the area. Then I saw a girl walking aimlessly on the parking lot, and then spotted a yellow little car. Crap. There were still others here. Crap. I spotted our enemy named nightingale. I quickly sneaked towards the young girl then. Snatch. Bang. Ow. The girl was safe, thank god, but in the process I got myself shot in the shin. Sooner rather than later my troops, moved in on our target.

***

Hmm ... I felt a bit dizzy, I remember sighting my car… oh my, did I get kidnapped? I looked down and saw a guy, early twenties dark brown hair, and I swear, He looks like one of those undercover agents I see on TV. Then saw a whole bunch of guys wearing around the same black uniforms closing in on a masked group. Oh no, those guys are going to hurt those other guys. I immediately ran up, bad choice, and spread my arms out wide. Another bad choice.

***

While I was tending to my knee, I looked up, and the girl was gone. Then saw her ‘attempting’ to so called protect those bunch of Neanderthals , Dumb very dumb, hasn’t she analysed at all what was going to happen to ‘her’ ? Idiot, I ripped off my inner shirt after I had used my small knife to get the bullet out of my shin. Then I swung my shirt around my knee tightly making sure there was enough pressure to stop the bleeding for a short amount of time. Then buttoned up my jacket, and ran up to hide at the back of the nightingales and took out my sleeping powder and tipped some onto my handkerchief, smothered some onto a member of our target.

***

The leader of the group I was standing in front of moved forward and placed a dagger to my throat… what was this guy thinking? I was trying to help them!

 

“Come any closer and this little innocent girl will be…” he started, and then slid his dagger up my face around my ear, brushing my long hair back t bits and pieces of it off… By now I was scared… Anyone who wasn’t would be emotionless. Then out the corner of my eye I saw the guy who dragged me away… was he a bad guy too? No, he didn’t ‘look’ like a bad person, but then again my judgment was not right. The guy was wearing mask aswell…

 

What ever he was, I hoped he’d save me…

 

***

All I could say for this girl is that she was an imbecile.

 

I smothered every single one of the members, while my subordinates kept a straight face.

 

Bang Bang.

 

2 Knees down.

 

“That’s payback, for before.” I said to the so called leader after I shot his two shoulders.  My right hand man 747 aka. Luke quickly saved the girl, the girl whose face I never saw…

 

“Take him in” I stated. Then everything just went blank

 

September, 19th 2020, S u n d a y

 

When I did come back to reality I was in a room, I was in the facilities hospital.

 

Oww. The antiseptic on my shin was really strong. I signed off, and went back to my dingy apartment. As soon as I got home I saw that I had 56 voice messages.

 

“KIM BUM WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! IT’S YOUR SISTERS BIRTHDAY!!!” roared a middle aged women, I checked everyone until the 30th one then gave up, knowing it had to be my sister. It’s not like I meant to forget to go to her birthday bash, but I was working, and all I want now is a nice hot shower and sleep.

 

I went into my room… whoosh… I looked behind my shoulders, nothing, I was seeing things.

 

… Then I felt something or someone tailing my every move. Strange… who could it be?

 

I decided to sweep that away and went to bed… what felt like 2 minutes later was actually 3 hours later. Never the less there was banging at my door and I knew exactly who it was… sigh this is what I get for being the younger brother. I grabbed a box out from my bedside table and went to get the door.

 

I opened the door… no one? I picked up a note. it said  “ one is before two, and three is after two” strange message… but then I looked at the back and it seemed that there was something more to this message than I thought. When I took a deeper look at it under the light it actually sad “She’s back. So Eun’s BACK!” Ohhh. It was one of Luke’s ideas of being mysterious. So Eun’s back? The So Eun who I loved for eternity is back? Oh my… I decided to call her but too late. Knock, Knock, Knock. As if my body could not move. I opened it, STUPID Kim Bum ve-ry stupid.

 

“Hey Kim Bum” So Eun said smoothly, she looked exactly like before, long dark brown hair, small calm smile, and bright brown eyes. She was wearing a coat as usual.

 

“Hi, So Eun… I see you’re back” I said a bit sadly, but still trying to keep my cool. I mean I think it was me who distanced us… me being an undercover detective and all, kept me from being on time on dates, and in turn there was no time for us at all. This wasn’t her being a needy girlfriend it was me, I had told her nothing but expected everything in return. Just when I was going to say sorry, she planted a simple kiss on my lips…

 

“Please Kim Bum; we know we can work this out. I know I was the one who cut off all relations between us, but I still love you…” She whispered, I didn’t know what to think or of course what to say… but to keep things like what I was not thinking, simple. I smiled.

 

Still happiness in love really wasn’t meant for me I guess, as in the time span of two minutes a bunch of men in masks knocked me out as I witnessed the kidnap of my girlfriend. So much for being a top secret under cover agent, I can’t even save my own girlfriend.

 

When I came to my senses, I wasn’t at home anymore; I was in what seemed like an abandoned warehouse.

 

“Hahahaha, Kim Bum. I never thought I would see the day where I caught the infamous 007 of that disgusting top secret agency.” Laughed a strange voice, I figured that he had used some sort of voice changing machine.

 

“What have you done with So Eun?!” I yelled

 

“So Eun? Oh. You mean that girl, well you won’t know but I’ll play a game with you, if you win you can have your precious girlfriend… On the other hand if you lose, she’ll go through so much pain, that’s its probably good not to tell you, though it might motivate you. I like surprises.

 

“I’m listening” I said trembling

 

“Ok, first question, who ruined a family in 2000?” The masked man questioned confidently

 

“That was 20 years ago! I wasn’t even 1!” I exclaimed, what was this guy? Furthermore what was his purpose?

 

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Kim Bum!” I heard a girl scream.

 

“No. Stop! Please… I really don’t know…” I pleaded

 

“Kim Bum, Oh Dear Kim Bum; Okay you don’t know, than I’ll tell you” He or she said unwrapping the mask across my face. This guy was delusional.

 

“Kim Bum, son of Kim Junsu. Also known as 007 in that top secret under cover agent thing, do you know why you’re here?” he said in a sinisterly freaky voice, Oh god, I hope So Eun’s alright.

 

“It is because of one mistake your so called father, killed a civilian.” He continued, more serious now… What did my father do, that could possibly land me in this situation. Wait correction. I guess everything. He was a under cover agent aswell, I pretty well named one too in the industry.

 

Then music started to play… Mary had a little lamb… Little Lamb, Litt-le La---mb, Mary had a little lamb her fleece was white as snow. And everywhere that Mary went, Mary went, Mary went. The sheep was sure to go.” A sweet voice sung…

 

“My father was like my role model, but ‘your’ precious little daddy had to kill him! Why! TELL ME WHY?! WHY KIM BUM?! He was INNOCENT!” he screamed, with his hair in front of his face, then his eyes sharp, however he was smiling. Being a under cover agent I’ve seen many cases but not one was this … this close to home. My father killed his father? Oh God, I remember now that one day my father came back home looking down as ever, he said that he killed the innocent. He took leave from the institute for half a year.

 

The man picked up his gun from his pocket. What was his name? The boy, the little boy my dad mentioned…

 

….  Jung … Yunho… JUNG YUNHO.

 

“STOP. Yunho we can discuss this!” I roared, I didn’t want this to end like this. 

 

“YUNHO. Please stop! I beg you, brother, its over.” A girl screamed across the dark warehouse. It was So Eun

 

“So Eun! Are you alright, how did you get free?” I quickly said… then realized what had happened; she was in alliance with this dude here.

 

She started crying, I knew then she didn’t really mean it. I guess she did love him, more then she loved me anyway… “He’s my brother Kim Bum, what did you expect? But why didn’t you tell me you were 007? That way I could’ve stopped this… do you really distrust me that much?” she said solemnly. How? How did she know? Then I saw her earring, and then remembered that girl I saved. They were wearing the same one… I get it now, I do…

 

“I don’t care; I’m ending it once and for all.” Yunho announced coldly, and then fired his gun at me… those few seconds were as if it was forever.

 

“NO!” So Eun screeched then ran in front of me … she fell onto me, I was in shock, but then came into reality. I remembered what moments we had together…

 

“Will you always protect me, love me, and cherish me?” So Eun said smiling

“Aw. You sound like you want to marry me,” I teased

“Just answer the question. Also will you always put me ahead of others, whatever it may be?” she added pouting

 

I sighed, “Of course, I Kim Bum, will always protect So Eun, love her, cherish her, and always put her in front of others, including myself.” I smiled at her that was before I joined the under cover business ….

 

“Hey So Eun, I can’t make it, but I promise you that I’ll make it up to you” I quickly said on the phone

 

“Forget it Kim Bum, Its clear that you’re busy… well atleast busy enough to put everything in front of me” she whispered

 

“I am not.” I quickly retaliated

 

“You’ve missed 365 dates… and today … you even forgot today… bye Kim Bum” she murmured

 

It was our 1 year anniversary, and out of all the days to break a promise, I did it today…  

 

***

Well, So Eun may have not have remembered this promised, but I do. We promised each other that we’d live together, and die together…

 

I let So Eun’s head lay slowly on the ground, and dashed right up to Yunho, and used my two hands to hold onto his gun. One hand was on the nose of the gun, and one was on the trigger, well I had learnt to fire a gun backwards… I directed the gun right where my heart was and pulled Yunho and the gun backwards to where So Eun was and …

 

Bang.

 

***

 I ran quickly into the abandoned warehouse fearing that both my best friend and his girlfriend would be dead. The hunch of mine was correct, when we got into the warehouse; So Eun and Kim Bum were already dead… and that mad man was holding a gun… “Place your hands up in the air!” I yelled at the criminal

 

“You think, I’m going to let the same people who killed my father kill me?! NO!!” He screamed, and Bang. He was gone too… 

 

***

While the others weren’t looking, a pair of doves floated away from So Eun and Kim Bum’s body…