more than that

A Clueless kind of story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Even as a kid, Joohyun has always had an affinity towards pretty things. Pretty clothes, toys, trinkets. But most of all, people. She loved dazzling people. And like the dazzling people she admired, she swore to herself she was going to be like them when she got older. That she wasn't going to be anything less than dazzling.

And like everything that Joohyun put her mind to, by the time she entered high school she was the most dazzling girl in her school. It was only up from there.

Howver, it was everything but up from there. Unfortunately, she didn't put her mind to studying as much as she did into being pretty because now, as a senior, she was failing calculus.

" me," Joohyun threw her head into her hands in shame, ". How the hell am I suppose to graduate now? Sooyoung, I'm ed!"

"This is what happens when you spend your time shopping instead of studying." Sooyoung answered, matter-of-factly.

"Ok but Etude House just released a new lip tint line! It was basically begging me to buy it. Joohyuuunn buy meee it said," groaning, pretending to be the lip tint, "What was I suppose to do? Reject a lip tint in need of buying?" Joohyun whined.

Sooyoung laughed at her joke, "I hope you hear yourself, if you had put all the time you spent trying on all those lip tint colors maybe you'd be passing with an A now. "

Irene groaned loudly as Sooyoung cackled and distressed friend some more.

"Hey I'm serious here. If I don't get my grade up I might not graduate. I'm so stressed right now," She lifts her head up suddenly, "Wait. You have that math tutor right?"

"Oh yeah, what about her?"

"Let me borrow her. Please" Joohyun begged, dragging out the e in please in a cute voice to somehow convince Sooyoung.

"Aw Joohyun using aegyo just for me?" Sooyoung sniggered to which Joohyun rolled her eyes in response, "I mean of course I'd lend her but she doesn't work for free. And I know damn well you're broke as hell after that makeup haul."

"Shut up. Just give me her number I'll think of something."

"Think of something, with what brain?" Sooyoung cackled, earning a slap from Joohyun, "Alright. Here."

"Thanks I owe you one!"

_

[Unknown number]: Hey! Is this Sooyoung's tutor?

[Miss Tutor]: It is. Who's asking?

[Unknown number]: Sooyoung's friend. My name's Joohyun.

[Miss Tutor]: Joohyun? As in Bae Joohyun?

Hm?

[Bae Joohyun]: Yes, how did you know? Do I know you?

[Miss Tutor]: No... But I know of you.

What the. Does she go to the same school as me?

[Bae Joohyun]: I see. Well, Miss Tutor. I'd like for you to tutor me.

[Miss Tutor]: Alright. Calculus as well I assume? That'll be $100 for a session.

[Bae Joohyun]: Well... you see... I don't have any money.

[Miss Tutor]: Are you serious?

[Bae Joohyun]: But hear me out! I have a lot to offer, I promise! I'll do whatever you want! Please I'm desperate.

Read 5:15

Ugh, just great.

_

Ding!

Just when Joohyun was about to totally give up waiting for the tutor to respond, she hears the familiar ding of a new message

[Miss Tutor]: Ok. I'll tutor you. But only if you can do me a favor.

Awww yeah! Jackpot!

[Bae Joohyun]: Yes, of course! Anything!

[Misss Tutor]: Can you give me a makeover

[Bae Joohyun]: A what now?

[Miss Tutor]: A makeover. You don't have to pay. In exchange for tutoring I want a makeover.

[Bae Joohyun]: Makeover what?

[Miss Tutor]: Me.

[Bae Joohyun]: How do you even know if I can give you a good makover?

[Miss Tutor]: You're literally the prettiest girl at school. If there's anyone I trust to make me over it'd be you.

Joohyun smirks, flattered by the compliment.

[Bae Joohyun]: Wait a minute, you go to my school?

[Miss Tutor]: Yup. Name's Seulgi btw.

_

If Joohyun knew anything about killing two birds with one stone, this would be it. Seriously, prettying someone up while at the same time getting tutored for it. She couldn't have asked for more. This was like getting paid for breathing air for her.

Those were her thoughts as she was seated in a cafe, waiting for Seulgi or as she now has in her phone contacts — Mission Seulgi — a little quip she refered to her new makeover project as.

She had wondered what kind of person Seulgi was beforehand. What she looked like and more importantly, what made her want a makeover from Joohyun.

"J-Joohyun?" A meek voice approaches from behind.

Jooohyun turns around to see quite the sight. Disheveled hair sloppily thrown into a bun (and not the cute kind, mind you.), baggy green sweater over even baggier sweatpants, and old lady-like glasses that do not help the fashion criminal before her eyes. But, under the girl's unsavory outfit of choice, she sees a rather good looking girl underneath. She just needs a bit of polishing. A diamond in the rough, Joohyun thinks.

"Seulgi?"

At first Joohyun doesn't recognize her but when she takes a closer look at Seulgi while she goes to sit in the seat across from her, Joohyun realizes that she's seen Sooyoung wave to her sometimes while they're walking in the hallways.

"That's me." Seulgi replies, not looking Joohyun in the eyes.

"Hey, how are you?" She starts, trying to make small talk.

"I'm fine..." Again, keeping her head down.

Joohyun deduces she's quite timid. Not knowing what else to say she asks, "So... what made you want to be made over?"

"Um. I-I like someone." Seulgi's face flushes red from ears to cheeks.

Joohyun smiles. Because she's the type that gets excited talking about crushes but also because she thinks Seulgi's getting flustered is rather cute.

"Ooo who's the lucky person?" She decides to , hoping for more reaction from Seulgi.

"It's a s-secret." Seulgi blushes an even more vibrant shade of red.

Joohyun giggles before pressing her even further, "Oh c'mon! If I know who he is maybe I can help you with him!"

She hesitates before continuing in a quieter voice, "O-ok. But don't tell anyone," to which Joohyun air zips her lips, "it's Kim Jong In"

Seulgi swiftly whispers the last part as if any slower the secret would spill out.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Joohyun says in a playful tone.

This makes Seulgi cover her face in embarrassment and whines for Joohyun to stop.

Joohyun laughs, "Sorry, sorry. Got it. I'll help you as long as you can help me pass calculus."

"Y-you're failing?!"

_

"The answer's 23 how on earth did you get 348.4?!" Seulgi exclaims, exasperated, wondering if Joohyun's a lost cause after she fails to get any question even close to right.

After grabbing a bite at the cafe, they headed to Joohyun's house to work on calculus problems. Over some hours they've gotten closer after discovering a shared interest in the group Red Velvet and thanks to Joohyun royalling bombing all of the questions.

"I mean, seriously," Seulgi cries, "I'm surprised you even managed to make it to calculus in the first place!"

"I'm hurt here, Seulgi! Am I that dumb to you?" Joohyun jokingly replies, feigning offense.

But it seems Seulgi didn't pick up on it as she responds, "O-oh, I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean t-"

She's cut off by Joohyun's giggle, "I'm just kidding. I wasn't really offended. Besides I am too. I came pretty far for someone who just shops and never takes her studies seriously."

Seulgi hums.

"To be honest, I'm doing this just to graduate but I don't even know what I want to do after I get there. All I know how to do is makeup. You know what I mean? Joohyun continues, "But then again you probably don't since you're like super smart. You probably have your whole life figured out."

A chuckle, "I wish it was that easy. I'm in the same boat as you, funny isn't it? We're so different but alike in that sense."

"What?! Really? I would've never guessed..."

"Yeah plus studies isn't everything. Besides, I think it's cool that you're so good with makeup. As someone who can't even put lipstick on without looking a mess that's a skill I'd like to have."

"Wow, I never thought of it like that... I've always liked dressing up so I'm used to makeup and things like that."

"It'd be nice if I was like that. Maybe I'd be a bit luckier in the love department." Seulgi looks down and her lips give a sad smile.

"What do you mean?" Joohyun's confused. Seulgi might be a fashion terrorist but she's surely pretty enough to have at least some suitors she thinks.

"I-I've never really dated anyone..." She hesitates, embarrassed.

And if she couldn't get anymore embarrassed, Joohyun says, "You're lying! No way, but you're so pretty?"

"S-Stop.. y-you're just saying that."

"No really! I'm serious! You just dress like a grandma but you've got a pretty face. I mean the shape of your eyes are so gorgeous!" Joohyun refers to Seulgi's monolids. They were the first thing she noticed about her tutor.

Seulgi stammers, "Th-thanks," then, a bit of an embarrassed laugh, "If only Jongin thought that too."

"What do you like about him so much?"

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter