Chapter 1

Push and Pull

#Kevin’s Flashback 

Location: Café Bene Seoul, South Korea
Time: 22:50

"I can't do this anymore. You're not what I'm looking for in a man. Although we've shared countless memories together, I can't bring myself to love you any longer." Chaewon brought up while sipping her Americano.

"Wait why? Hasn't our relationship been all but great?" Kevin replied with a forced smile on his face.

"Two years ago I came into this relationship looking for experience in dating. And although I can agree that I still have feelings for you; I’ve got to go. I’ve already picked up my belongings. If I leave anything behind I’ll come back for it.” Chaewon said as she got up.

#5 Years Later 
#Character Intro Flashback

Kevin looked at his phone as a notification came in. The screen illuminated with an image of Kevin and Minju. Kevin met Minju at work when he first joined the company. Minju was his mentor for the first 2 weeks he started. As shy people, it was awkward for the both of them in the beginning, but they soon began to build their friendship. As time passed they became best friends. Many people in the office teased them as being a couple. It was true that Kevin had feelings for Minju, however, he never acted upon them because of Minju’s previous relationship. 

Minju was previously in love with David. David was introduced to her by her family. David and Minju’s parents were friends and they all believed that David and Minju would be a really great couple. David was a stereotypical church going Korean good kid. Although Minju’s parents introduced Minju to David; Minju had already knew him. Minju had already fell in love at first sight when she first saw him at church. 

In the beginning, Minju and David’s relationship was extremely lovey dovey. Many of Minju’s friends about when she was getting married with David. Minju usually played it off saying that she was just waiting on David. Minju had been secretly waiting for David to propose. They had already been dating for 7 years. There were no red flags in their relationship. 

However, David had create a perfect facade for the public and Minju. Everyone thought he was a loving and loyal man that loved Minju fully. However, he was secretly seeing another girl. 

Minju caught David kissing another girl at a restaurant while on a project celebratory dinner with Kevin. She was speechless and tears immediately started to roll down her face. Kevin looked at Minju as tears rolled down her face. Kevin panicked and started wondering why Minju was crying. He glanced over at the other table and realized what had happened. He immediately paid for the dinner and took her out of the restaurant. 

He consoled her and told her that although it hurts now, time will slowly heal the wound. It hurt him when she was crying as all he wanted to do was see her smile and protect her. He was previously jealous of David as he thought Minju was perfect. For the longest time he has had feelings for her. He decided to give love another chance even though he was previously scarred. However, for now all he wanted to do was cheer up Minju and stay by her side. 

#Time: 18:00
#Present

Jittery and with butterflies in his stomach, he read the text over again as he got ready to go out with her.

The text read, "Hey Kevin wanna go out?  I’m super bored at home right now.”

As Kevin walked up to his Tesla, he sighed and thought about this weird friendship he has with Minju.

"We're both so close, but it's so hard for me to open up to her about my feelings. This stupid friendship thing is so special to me that I don't want her to feel awkward with me."

#Location: Minju’s House
#Time: 18:30

Kevin parked his car at the side of the street and slowly walked up to Minju’s house. He breathed in and out slowly before he rang the doorbell. A second later an average height girl with a slim physique appeared. She was wearing a white blouse with a skirt that had a flowery design. She topped off her outfit with a grey cardigan.

"Wow now I’m 100% sure you have a personal stylist.”  Kevin nudged Minju playfully. 

Minju smirked and said, “Trust me I know how to dress myself. Haha”.

Minju enveloped him into a hug and said, “It’s nice seeing you, where to for tonight? You always have surprises for me.”

The fruity perfume scent of Minju invaded him personal space and quicken Kevin’s heartbeat. He slowly prayed that Minju wouldn't be able to feel his heart beating out of his chest. Quickly letting go of Minju, Kevin chuckled and said, “Well tonight’s going to be the finale of surprises. I was thinking of heading over to Hermosa Pier since its a little warm today. I have jackets in my car in case you get cold.” 

As Minju got into the car, she replied, “Sure sounds super romantic though.” 

As they drove through the night both were silent. It was weird, both Kevin and Minju were extremely close. They were considered the best of friends by their coworkers, but why was it so hard for them to strike a conversation? Kevin was extremely nervous as tonight was the night he was going to let Minju know of his feelings. As he was trying to fight the butterflies that were trying to escape within him, Minju saw in the passenger seat just watching the scenery of the golden hour on the LA freeway. The dichotomy between an awkward silence for Kevin and an comfortable silence for Minju continued through the drive to Hermosa Pier. 

Location: Hermosa Pier 
#Time: 19:00 

Kevin and Minju arrived at the pier pretty quickly as there was no traffic on the freeway. 

As Kevin got out of his car he opened up his front trunk space.  

“Hey grab your sandals from the front, don’t walk on sand with your shoes. It’ll ruin them. ” , Kevin reminded Minju. 

Minju puzzled and looked at Kevin and responded, “How do you have my sandals?” 

Kevin responded, “Remember when we went shopping at 3rd Street Promenade and you bought a pair of shoes? You just threw your sandals into my trunk and said I’ll pick them up later.”

“Oh yeah haha.”, Minju responded embarrassingly.  

Kevin and Minju slowly made their way down to the pier. The restaurants’ aurora filled their noses and made them hungry. 

Kevin stopped right before the pier entrance and asked Minju, “Do you want to stop by Sladers for dinner? I haven’t ate yet and I heard they have a really good peanut butter and jelly burger.” 

“That sounds nasty. But sure I’ll share one with you just in I don’t like it.” Minju responded. 

As they both walked into Sladers, the waiter greeted them and said, “Welcome to Sladers, party of two?” 

Kevin nodded and both of them were presented to their table. 

“Actually could we get a table outside? I wanna see the sunset.” Minju whispered while tugging Kevin’s shirt. 

Kevin told the waiter and they were presented a table outside. 

“I can actually take your order if you are ready. Otherwise I can come back in 5 minutes.” , the waiter said. 

“I’m actually ready. I’ll have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, an Ultimate S’more Shake, and two cups of water please.” , Kevin ordered. 

The waiter responded, “Most definitely, they will be out in bit.” Minju looked at Kevin and asked, “How did you know I would want the Ultimate S’more Shake?” 

“Please I’ve known you for 3 years now. I know you’re a er for sweets.” Kevin chuckled. 

Minju gigged and said, “You treat me so well. You’re so considerate. I’m surprised you haven’t found a girlfriend yet.” 

“Well I’m not actively looking for one. I can say the same for you. You’re pretty, you’re funny, you’re understanding, and you’re down to earth.“, Kevin shrugged and said. 

Minju’s eyes widened. She has secretly had feelings for Kevin for the longest time. At first he was just a coworker/ best friend. However, as time grew Minju came to love him for the man he was. He was extremely caring and made her feel things that she never felt with David. 

“I’ve actually been waiting for someone.“, Minju replied softly. 

Kevin’s mood immediately took a steep dive. He didn’t know Minju had a person  she had feelings for. They hung out so much that he didn’t think that Minju was hanging out and talking to another person on the side. Kevin looked into the distant sunset and thought, “Man just when I wanted to confess too.” 

“Excuse me, here’s your peanut butter and jelly burger as well as the Ultimate S’mores shake. Would you need anything else? , “ the waiter said breaking Kevin’s train of thought. 

“We’re good for now. Thank you though.”, Minju smiled and replied. 

“Let me try it first and if I don’t like it you can have all of it. “, Minju said while grabbing the knife and fork. 

Kevin nodded and said ,“Sure.” 

As Minju cut into the burger, Kevin could see that Minju’s hair was slowly falling.  Reflexively, he caught it and  tucked it behind Minju’s ear. 

Minju looked left at Kevin and blushed. 

“I know when my hair is falling haha. You don’t have to catch it for me. ,” Minju teased. 

“You’re saying that now. Just imagine you getting peanut butter and jelly on your hair. ,”Kevin replied. 

Minju takes the first bite and gasps. 

“It’s actually pretty good. I was thinking that the sweet and the sourness was not going to match. However, they go along pretty well together.” , Minju said while cutting herself another bite. 

“At this point you’re going to finish the burger. “, Kevin teased while hugging Minju’s shoulder. 

“Sorry. “, Minju pouted and said. 

“It’s fine, have as much as you want. I’ll be fine. But don’t forget you still have your S’mores shake.” Kevin said while pointing to the tall milkshake. 

#Time: 20:00 

As they finished their dinner, the golden hour started waning. As dusk approached Kevin and Minju walked onto the pier. 

“Did you know La la land is one of my favorite movies? The scenes and colors in the movie make the main character’s love life very romantic. I’ve always wanted to walk the pier with someone special. ”, Kevin stated.

Minju stayed quiet when she heard Kevin state that he wanted to walk the pier with someone special. Could there be a chance that Kevin had the same feelings she has been feeling? 

“You’re awfully quiet tonight. What’s up?”, Kevin asked when stopping near the railing. 

“Nothing, just have a bit on my mind recently.”, Minju responded while looking over at Kevin. 

“You know we’re best friends right? You can tell me anything. I’ll always be here to listen to you.”, Kevin said while pulling Minju in. 

The ocean breeze started to pick up as dusk fell. Although Kevin was not feeling cold, he could tell that Minju was slowly getting cold. 

“I just…” Minju stopped mid tracks and silence fell between them.

 I’ve recently been thinking a lot about our friendship. Everyone talks about us at work. My family is always asking about you. It seems that everything always revolves around you. When you’re not around I’m always worried about you. “ Minju continued while looking into Kevin’s eyes. 

Kevin looked away once in a while. Minju’s gaze was too much for him to handle. She would’ve seen him blush if he kept the eye contact with her consistent. 

Kevin interrupts Minju by holding her hand and saying, “I have the same feeling about you. Every time I’m not with you, I’m always worried about you. I promised myself that I wouldn’t let you get hurt after what happened before. It would kill me to see you break down again like that. I know earlier you said that you were waiting for someone. Sorry if I’m always bugging you to hang out. I could give you some space if you’re trying to pursue someone.” 

“No no, I like our friendship. I like our hang outs.” Minju panicked and said. 

Kevin’s mind was racing of if he should tell her about his feelings. Their friendship means everything to him. Should he risk it all and keep everything in. Or should he be selfish and let Minju know his darkest secret. 

Silence hangs between them as Kevin tries to make his decision. Both parties felt super awkward now. However, they are soon interrupted by two other people walking on the pier. 

“I’ve known you for awhile now and I know you’ve been hurt in the past, but I can promise you I won’t hurt you. Would you want to be my girlfriend?”, the man wearing the Adidas sweater says. 

“Yes, very much so.” , the girl responds. 

As the strangers turn around to face Kevin and Minju. Shock presents itself on everyones face. 

“DAVID?”

“MINJU?”

“CHAEWON?”

“KEVIN?”

Hello, I’m back. I’ve fallen for IZONE recently and haven’t seen a lot of fics from them and I really wanted to write one for Minju and Reader. I also didn’t proofread this so sorry for the mistakes! If you guys like this story concept, please let me know below. I hope you guys like this first chapter!