fin.

Coffee Reunion

Jisoo was busy staring into space, hand stirring the drink in front of her as she couldn’t help but think about the guy she just saw earlier in front of the coffee shop she’s currently sitting at. She’s not sure if she was right, but she didn’t think her memories would fail her yet at the age of 25.


It was him. Park Jinyoung. She remembered having a crush on him when she was in high school. They were in the same class on the last year of high school, and they were pretty good friends. They would often discuss home works or exams together with their other classmates, and there were even times when their group of friends would hang out together outside school. But that was it. They weren’t exactly…close. Plus, at the time, he had a girlfriend (Bae Suji…was it?). So, Jisoo didn’t bother to flirt or try to start anything between them. It was just a crush, after all. She didn’t actually like “like” him.


That was… almost 5 years ago. She didn’t really keep in contact with him after school except for the occasional replies on Instagram (“Congrats for graduating uni!”). Seeing him after all those years of forgetting that he existed was bizarre to say the least. It was like she’s back to high school years all over again. On top of that, she was sure the guy beside him was Im Jaebum, his best friend even during school. They were standing in front of the coffee shop when Jisoo spotted them from the inside. The girl assumed they were stopping for a minute because Jaebum was talking to someone on the phone, because after the phone call was finished, they started walking again.


The sudden ping from her phone brought her back to reality, stopping her train of high school memories. When she looked at the phone, it was Seulgi telling her that she’d arrive in 10 minutes and asked Jisoo to order her drinks before she arrived. The drink came not long before Seulgi entered the shop.


“Why do you look so…out of it?” Seulgi said as she sat down.


Jisoo glared at her friend. “Thank you for telling me I look like after not seeing me for two months now.”


The other girl just laughed. “You know that’s not what I mean,” she said, her hand reaching inside her bag before she revealed a cute, magenta colored mug in a box. “Here’s your present.”


Jisoo squealed and gave her a flying kiss. “Thank you!! How was your trip?”


They spent the time catching up with each other; Seulgi had to go outside the country for her charity work every few months and she always brought things that reminded her of Jisoo while she was there.


“So… why did you look like you’ve been zoning out earlier?” Seulgi tried to ask again.


“Because I have,” Jisoo shrugged.


Seulgi gave her an unimpressed look and Jisoo continued. “Do you remember Park Jinyoung from high school?”


Her friend nodded, sipping her drink before saying, “The one from your class in 12th grade, right? I think I was in the same class as him before.”


Jisoo nodded enthusiastically, “I just saw him earlier in front of the shop.”


“Did you say hello?”


The other girl shook her head, “He was with Im Jaebum. They just stopped for a while before they started walking again.”


“O…kay? Then what are you excited for?”


Jisoo looked at her best friend weirdly, “You do know I had a crush on him during school, right?”


“Don’t you remember we weren’t close during school?”


Jisoo blinked, forming a cute ‘O’. “Right, we got closer because of university,” she nodded to herself.


Seulgi just chuckled at her friend before suddenly stopping her laugh, “You’re not going to obsess over him for the next two weeks before you eventually realize you’re just digging through old memories, right?”


Jisoo grinned unashamedly, showing her screen which had Park Jinyoung’s Instagram account showing. “At least we both know this will pass! I am just curious, you know. It’s been a long time and suddenly seeing someone I used to like in school lowkey excites me.”


The other girl just shook her head at her friend, “Is it really ‘someone you used to like in school’ or is it because he’s Park Jinyoung?”


She shrugged innocently, “Who knows? I’ve never accidentally seen my other school crush.”


“Hey, talking about high school, do you remember Oh Sehun? I heard he’s debuting as a model or something.” Seulgi said, already busy scrolling through Instagram to show Jisoo a picture of Oh Sehun.


“Oh, really?” she said excitedly. Maybe she was just missing high school after all.

*

Two weeks after her meeting with Seulgi, Kim Jisoo was sitting on the same coffee shop on the exact same spot as before. She had to suddenly edit a poster that would be used for a meeting with her director and, thank god, she brought her laptop with her. It really didn’t help that the coffee shop was somewhat crowded too. She needed the calm, quiet atmosphere. Jisoo wasn’t exactly in the mood for lively space.


As she was burying her face on her hands, she heard someone coughed politely before her. When she looked up, she was more than baffled to see Park Jinyoung standing in front of her with a drink in his hand.


“Kim Jisoo?” She nodded dumbly. “Would it be okay if I sit in front of you? Everywhere else is full. I promise I won’t disturb whatever you’re doing if you don’t wish me to,” He smiled sheepishly.


He thanked her quietly, and Jisoo just kept on shaking her head as she tried to calm herself down. She took her phone to text Seulgi immediately (and also to not look like she’s losing her mind) when he suddenly asked her how had she been doing.


“I’m just… okay, I guess? Just recently got a job in an advertising company so I’m still learning. It’s been fun, though. How about you?” she asked back.


“I’m still working on my double degree. It’s hard but I’m getting by,” he shrugged. “Are you working on a project, then?” he glanced at the laptop in front of her.


Jisoo sighed, “Yeah. We are supposed to have a meeting with the director tomorrow and suddenly they asked me to make a few alterations to the poster. They said, and I quote, ‘Please change this and finish it before today ends.’” She said in a squeaky voice.


Jinyoung chuckled before saying, “You haven’t changed, have you? Still the same old Jisoo that’s fun to talk to.”


She blinked innocently and the guy just laughed at her cuteness.


“Anyway, I gotta go now. I was just waiting for a friend and he just texted me he’s arrived,” Jinyoung said, waving his phone.


Jisoo just smiled at him, not sure what to say. Before she could figure it out, Jinyoung beat her into it.


“It was nice talking to you. We should catch up some more other time. Is your number still the same?” Surprised, Jisoo nodded dumbly. “I’ll text you then?” She nodded again, whispering a small ‘sure.’


Jinyoung gave her a small smile and, before being mistaken as some high schooler in love, Jisoo managed to squeak a ‘bye!’ as she waved back at him. Gosh, he’s SO handsome it’s unfair.


It took her a few seconds before she realized she still had her hand in the air long after Jinyoung had left the café. Squealing to herself, Jisoo quickly tidied up her things after she texted Seulgi a quick ‘SOS, coming rn’ (‘NOW you answer me huh?’), she knew herself and there’s no way she’d be able to concentrate for the next few hours.