go back to where we started

an eternity, just for us

Chaewon presses her foot on the gas, the small car running a little over 85 as they exit the freeway and onto the narrower road towards the beach. The atmosphere is quiet, half of the group asleep with Minjoo providing quiet company at shotgun. 

 It’s been a few hours since they left, getting sent off by Chaewon’s mom with a basket full of snacks. They had left off incredibly loud, with Chaewon struggling to keep focus on the road with Yena and Yujin playing music at full blast behind her. The constant bopping and head banging must’ve tired them out, with both now piled up on top of each other, snoozing peacefully. 

The clock signals a quarter past noon as Chaewon notices Minjoo change the music. The speakers start to play crisp guitar tones. Chaewon’s fingers unconsciously drum to the beat, little so often curling around the wheel. 

Minjoo hums to the music as she puts down her phone in the console. Chaewon catches a peripheral glimpse of her, eyes closed and leaning back on the seat. She looks back to the road, waiting for the atmosphere to settle.

“You’ve been quiet,” Chaewon says, no question asked nor judgment, just a silent observation. But they both understand the small pause before soft exhale, the music not enough to silence it.  

But the quiet isn’t pressuring, just another air as they focus on other things. Minjoo loosely takes hold of Chaewon’s hand, soft skin against hers. 

The gesture doesn’t surprise Chaewon, it’s almost second nature to them, and she follows suit, fingers wrapping around Minjoo’s. 

“I’ve wanted to do this for the longest time,” Minjoo says, barely above a whisper. Followed by a sigh that runs too deep for comfort.

Chaewon doesn’t say anything else, only a hum of understanding and a tug for their hands to fall over the console. She steps on the accelerator.  

She starts to roll down the windows, motioning for Minjoo to do the same. 

The wind hits their faces harsh but warm, the speed letting in only whiplashes. The weather’s doing a little better after the cold spring days, and the gesture feels like a good breather. For everything. 

But they only get to mull in the fresh air and light tunes for a little while because Yena eventually wakes up, bringing Yujin with her, grumbling about being hungry. But they follow the unrolled windows quickly, and with absolutely no care in the world, stick their heads out right into the road. 

Chaewon only mutters at their antics, talks about being stuck with a bunch of children. Minjoo laughs, a small carefree one that comes in even breaths, and Chaewon thinks maybe being stuck with a pair of kids isn’t so bad.

The song steadies into particular lines in the chorus, after lines about speeding up. Their eyes meet and they share a small smile, almost forgetting the pair shouting their heads off at the back. There’s something akin to a conversation that passes between them before Minjoo pulls away. She puts her head out the window. 

“To a stress-free weekend!” Minjoo shouts, hair whipping behind her. Her face is split wide, her eyes bent into crescents as the wind curls around her. 

Chaewon spares her a glance before shaking her head and looking back to the road. Her foot presses heavier on the gas.