One

Unpredictable

-October 2019-

 

   I have been living in Paris for almost a decade. I have my parents here with me but I decided to live alone this year in order to learn how to be independent. 

It’s funny because my mom has always thought that I would be the last one to move out. She said it will be my little sister who will decide to leave them first.

 

“Are you sure you want to do this? Do you really need to move out?”

 

I chuckled as she put a box full of books in an empty corner of my new apartment.

 

“Mom, it’s okay. I’m 45 minutes away from you by train. I want to do this.”

 

She sighed in defeat as I hug her. I understand her. Parents don’t really want to let their children go of course, as long as they can keep you, they will.

 

“And besides, it’s really near my school. That would be great right?”

 

After some time, my mom finally left as I look at my new place. It’s still a little bit empty but organised enough, I have all the essentials.

 

I decided to move in the 16th district of Paris, just a couple of minutes away from the Eiffel Tower. Who would say no to that right?

 

I played on my bed and thought about how far I’ve been through in my life. I went to med school for a year but it ended up something I really didn’t want to do. 

I remember my parents being sad about it. They wanted me to pursue it but I didn’t want to study like a maniac my whole life. It just wasn’t for me.

Instead, I did a gap year. Worked for 9 months in a clothing store then I decided to enroll myself in a business school.

 

In fact, tomorrow is my first day. I can’t wait to start my university year once again. Although I know my classmates will probably be my little sitar’s age since I am 3 years late, I hope I can still have fun. I also hope I won’t be the only one who’s 21 years old.

 

=================================================================================================================

 

The campus is pretty nice. It wasn’t as big as my mid school campus and certainly smaller than any campuses in my country, South Korea. But it was pretty aesthetic.

 

I’ve always been the joyful one so I’ve already talked to a couple of people. In fact, tonight , they’ve planned to have a dinner and drinks.

 

“Hey Dara, don’t forget to come tonight!”

 

A blonde girl named Leontina said as we got out of class. I smiled at her and nodded.

 

“Of course I won’t! I’d love to go and get to know everyone in our class. Plus, there’s a really cute guy I’m curious about.”

 

Yes, a guy named Paul is really cute. He’s tall, blonde curly hair and blue eyes, good combo.

 

Leontina chuckled as she already knows who I am referring to.

 

“I’m sure he’ll like you. He keeps checking you out too girl.”

 

We were walking when a group of guys in our class suddenly stopped us.

 

“Hey!It’s Dara right?”

 

A bubbly guy called out. Shoot, I forgot his name.

 

“I’m Matthew, I knew you didn’t catch my name awhile ago. By the way, me, Gabriel, Paul and Jiyong are planning to have lunch. So I was wondering if you guys wanted to join us?”

 

I looked at Leontina as she snickered because Paul’s name has been mentioned. But I unfortunately can’t join them as I have promised to have lunch with my best friend Chaerin. I can already see her pout if I text her that I’ll cancel.

 

I smiled at them apologetically.

 

“Maybe next time guys. I have plans for today. But I’ll see you guys tonight?”

 

Matthew nodded as he grabbed Leontina. He’s pretty friendly. Maybe a little bit too much.

 

I was ready to leave when I heard a little ‘Hey’ from behind me.

I turned around and saw a guy named Jiyong. I know he’s Korean as well. Pretty decent, looks like he came from a very rich family back in our country. 

I mean I’m actually pretty sure of it. He’s an international student after all, unlike me who actually can speak French and have lived in France for a long time.

 

I smiled at him.

 

“Oh, hey. What’s up?”

 

What’s up? Gosh Dara, you are so lame.

To be quite frank, I don’t really like this dude. He looks arrogant and… Well he’s Korean. I don’t like Korean men. Everyone knows dating a Korean guy is not always as good like in kdramas. They’re known for being… well trash.

 

“You’re Korean too right? I heard your name that’s why. Park. I’m Jiyong.”

 

He smiled as he puffs his cigarette.

I smiled back and laughed. Gosh, it sounded so fake. I’m so sorry Jiyong.

But for a record, he speaks very well English. American with a little bit of British accent I assume?

 

“Oh yes, I knew you were Korean. I mean, pretty obvious with the face, and well the name. I assume you’re new in Paris?”

 

“Yes I actually am. I haven’t been here for long, I arrived mid-september.”

 

It’s weird how we’re talking in English when we’re both Korean. Gosh, why am I so y? He just looks too arrogant!

 

“Does that mean you’re only staying for a semester? Or you’re taking the whole year?”

 

“Oh, I’m taking the whole year. I mean the bachelor program, so three years.”

 

I nodded and smiled. Well, sorry buddy, I need to go.

 

“I’m sorry, I would really love to chat more with you Jiyong but I need to go. I have a lunch date with my best friend and if I’m late, she’ll kill me.”

 

He chuckled and nodded.

 

“Alright, I’ll see you tonight?”

 

“Yeah, I’ll see you tonight!”

 

=========================================================

 

“How was your first day? Did you like your classmates?”

 

My best friend, Chaerin asked. I love how she’s so thoughtful about what I’m doing with my life. I remember her being so concerned when I told her that I will be doing a gap year. She was afraid that I will lose interest in my studies and won’t be able to go back at school.

She was so happy when I told her that I’ve enrolled myself in business school as she is also enrolled in another business school.

 

“It was okay. They’re all nice, 70% of them are international students and the rest is French. There’s a Korean dude too.”

 

I said. 

 

“Really? What’s his name? Is he cute? Don’t date him though.”

 

I chuckled at her. There’s no way I’m ever going to be interested with Jiyong. He’s not my type and plus, I find Paul really cute. I would like to get to know him more.

 

“Nah, he’s not my type. But well, he’s okay. He’s pretty attractive. But , there’s a guy named Paul. He’s like 190cm tall, has blue eyes and blonde curly hair. He’s so cute.”

 

I saw my best friend cringed at the thought. She’s not attracted to blonde guys, in fact she finds them very… basic. But well, everyone has different tastes.

 

“How old is he though? You’re aware that some of your classmates may be minor or some just turned 18?”

 

I pouted because that’s true. Paul is indeed 18, my little sister’s age. But it’s not like the is huge!

 

“You hoe. I knew it, he’s 18 isn’t he?”

 

I nodded and grinned at her.

 

“But he looks cute though. Like he seems nice as well.”

 

“Whatever. Just be careful with him, he’s young.”

 

I nodded when suddenly, I saw my phone vibrate. Unknown number.

I frowned, wondering who it might be.

 

Hey! It’s Jiyong. I got your number from Leontina. I was wondering if you wanted to come join me and Mathis at Bowling Foch before dinner? Leontina’s coming as well. So let me know!

 

“Who is it?”

 

“It’s the Korean dude, Jiyong. He’s asking if I want to go bowling but I’m lazy and I at bowling. So I’m not going. Let’s go to my place after?”

 

“Yeah sure."