fin

Rule Number Three

“All right ladies, enough dilly dallying and gather up.”

Sooyoung stands with her arms akimbo as her eyes dart between Seulgi and Seungwan, gauging their appearances as she eyes them up and down.

There’s a brief pause of silence before she shakes her head and huffs. “There’s no way in hell you two pansies would make it out alive, but luckily for you today, I’m on your team.”

“Sooyoung, it’s just a game.” Seungwan deadpans.

“Silence, Private. This is not just a game, this is our freedom and rights at stake!”

Seungwan stares blankly at the taller woman’s antics.

The five of them decided it would be a fun idea to go have a game of laser tag after seeing one of the commercials on TV the other night. What was a light hearted suggestion suddenly became something more serious when Yerim upped the ante by proposing that the losing team would be at the winning team’s beck and call for three days. A quick game of rock, paper, scissors divided the group into two; Joohyun and Yeri being one whilst Seulgi, Sooyoung and Seungwan the other, and so here they were at the venue preparing to battle it out.

Seungwan had a feeling she was going to regret this.

“Now here are the rules. If we stick to them, then we certainly have a chance of winning. Rule number one: shoot on sight, but no friendly fire. Rule number two: make sure you’re constantly on the move and not stationary in one spot. And finally, most importantly, rule number three: strictly no fraternising with the enemy under any circumstance."

Sooyoung directs her glare towards Seungwan as she emphasises the last rule.

“I’m looking you Private Son.”

“Me?” Seungwan questions indignantly.

“Yes, you. Bros before hoes.”

What?”

“Hmm, okay you're right. We're neither men nor is Joohyun unnie a hoe... but you get the point.”

Sooyoung turns her attention to Seulgi who is just as bemused as Seungwan.

“Private Kang, I'm assigning you the Cabbage; can't trust Private Son here to carry out the job properly. I want you to take her out as soon as possible but be careful, she's going to be a tough one.”

“Aye, aye Captain.”

Sooyoung frowns. “We are not pirates, Private.”

“Well we aren't soldiers either.” Seungwan retorts from the side but Sooyoung completely ignores her and continues on rambling with the plan.

“I'll go after the devil’s spawn since you'll be no match for her Private Son. Instead, I want you to be our sniper and back up. Stay hidden and when the timing's right, I want you to come in snipe their heads off, capische?"

Seungwan sighs. “Yes.”

“Yes, who.”

“Yes, ma'am.” She drawls emotionlessly.

“Excellent. Now remember ladies, our pride and honour are at stake here. If we lose this game then we will be at the mercy of those evil people for three days. We absolutely, cannot allow for that to happen. Think of that shame that you will bring to your grandkids when they ask you about this one day.”

Sooyoung raves with a wild look gleaming in her eyes and Seungwan has half a mind to slap her across the head, in hopes that the action would jumpstart her braincells again but decides it's not worth the trouble.

She sneaks a glance over to the other two women who stood a few metres away from them hunched over and deeply engrossed in their own plans by the looks of it.

A bored looking employee enters the room shortly to brief them over the details.

“When the buzzer sounds you will have thirty seconds to enter the field and position yourselves. A second buzzer will then go off and that will signal the start of the game. If you get shot, your vest will light up red and you will be out. The last team standing wins.”

He turns to leave once they nod in unison and a nervous tension washes over the room as they quietly wait for sound of the buzzer. Seungwan takes this moment to glance over at Joohyun again but Sooyoung's narrowing eyes halts her midway.

“Rule number three.” Sooyoung hisses at her.

“Okay, okay, sheesh I’m sorry.”

The buzzer rings loudly and the five of them sprint into the vicinity and Seungwan is immediately enveloped in darkness. She rapidly blinks, as her eyes slowly adjust to their dim surroundings, the sparse colourful lights and neon stickers that decorate the place being their only source of light.

It’s so dark that Seungwan can barely see where she is running let alone attempting to find any of the other girls. The blaring sounds of lasers beams pinging through the speakers from the wall and mock battle voices does little to calm her nerves as she attempts to grasp her bearings, slightly fearful that something would jump out at her from the darkness.

A good amount of time passes and she still hasn’t run into any of her members and is thoroughly surprised she has yet to hear either Yerim or Sooyoung screaming bloody murder at one another.

. Just how big was this place.

Seungwan weaves through the makeshift maze, gun poised in front of her and ready to pull the trigger at any time.

She turns a corner but immediately ducks back behind the makeshift wall when she spots Sooyoung and Joohyun in a standoff.

“Drop the gun Bae.”

Joohyun scoffs. “Not happening, Park. I suggest you drop the gun seeing as how you are outnumbered.”

Before Sooyoung has a chance to clarify what Joohyun had meant, Yerim emerges from the dark and aims her gun at Sooyoung from behind. There’s a proud smirk on her face as she circles around her until she’s standing next to Joohyun.

“Well, well, well. Look what we have here.” Yerim remarked gleefully.

Sooyoung scowls. It’s not looking good for her and it doesn’t look like any of her teammates are coming to assist anytime soon.

“What happened to Seulgi unnie?” Sooyoung demands.

 Yerim snorts. “Seulgi unnie was a goner the moment the buzzer went off; didn’t even last five minutes. She got lost in the maze of obstacles and cornered herself in a dead end. So, I dealt with her.” Yerim moves her hand across her neck in a throat cutting motion.

“Damnit.” Sooyoung mutters, but that doesn’t stop her from aiming her gun at her enemies.

“Seeing how it’s come to this, there’s no choice but to take one of you down with–”

“Wait.”

Seungwan stalls momentarily and sighs to herself before she comes out from hiding. She should’ve just abandoned Sooyoung and made a run for it. There was no good that was going to come out of this situation.

“Nice of you to finally show up.” Sooyoung greets her sarcastically but there’s a look of relief in her eyes as Seungwan joins her by her side.

“Right, so where were we, oh yes, you mentioned I was outnumbered.”

The four of them stand there in their face off, carefully eyeing one another for the slightest movement that would send one of them firing off a fatal shot.

Seungwan flickers her eyes to Joohyun to see the older woman staring directly at her, gun aimed in the direction of her chest.

“I thought you loved me, Seungwan.”

“Oh, for ’s sake.” Sooyoung groans. “Remember what we talked about.” She tilts her head down towards the blond all the while keeping her eyes trained ahead of her. “Don’t let the she-devil manipulate you with her pretty words, remember what’s at stake here Private.”

“I can hear you.” Joohyun deadpans.

“Good, you need to stop distracting her.”

“Um, guys, we are in the middle of a war right now?” Yerim interjects before either woman start running off on a further tangent. “Look, I have no business with squirrel over there, but I do have unresolved business with you, giant. So, how about we settle our vendetta elsewhere and we leave these two to their own devices.” Yerim suggests.

Sooyoung thinks it over for a brief moment and agrees. “Deal. But this will ever be the only time that I will agree with you.”

Yerim rolls her eyes. “Likewise.”

The two move off elsewhere, leaving Seungwan and Joohyun alone guns pointing at one another.

“So, what will do you do? Are you going to shoot me?”

Even with the loud ruckus that bounces off the speakers, Joohyun’s whisper is as deafening and has Seungwan frozen to the spot.

The older woman takes a step forward and Seungwan finds herself instinctively taking a step back.

“Stop. Don’t come any closer!” She warns.

Joohyun raises an eye brow at the feeble attempt to stop her, but doesn’t say anything as she continues inching closer until Seungwan realises she’s backed up against the wall with nowhere to escape.

Joohyun stands in front of her, dark brown eyes a hypnotic pool that draws the blonde into the depths of an unknown madness. A madness that only Joohyun can make her feel.

The corner of Joohyun’s lips tug up in a haughty smirk and she leans forward until their lips are but a hair apart and Seungwan can feel the hot breath that gently brushes against her own.

“Shoot me, Seungwan.” Joohyun murmurs against her lips, the soft touch sending shivers through her nerves. “Make me beg for mercy.”

A primal need stirs deep within Seungwan’s gut at the words that leave and it looks as though Joohyun senses that because she captures Seungwan’s lips mere seconds later.

It’s needy and frantic, but Seungwan couldn’t care less and drops her gun to the floor putting her hands to better use as she wraps them around Joohyun’s waist, pulling her close until she’s pressed up against her own body.

A moan slips out and somewhere in the back of her mind she can vaguely hear Sooyoung screaming ‘rule number three´ at her and probably for good reason too because just as she pulls apart due to the lack of oxygen, Seungwan opens her eyes to see light flashing from her chest and a mischievous look across Joohyun’s face.

Seungwan tilts her head down to see her tag flash up in bright red. Her eyes flicker back up at Joohyun who winks at her, blowing the tip of her gun.

“Better luck next time, baby.”

She leans in and leaves a chaste kiss on Seungwan cheeks and she saunters away leaving the younger woman standing there dumbfounded at what just happened.

, Sooyoung is going to kill me.