one, two, three ... Heart beats

one, two, three ... Heart beats
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

one

 

Shivers run down her spine, hair raised on her arms when her body suddenly detected the absence of warmth on the other side of her bed. She pulled the blanket over her body, barely realizing the lack of resistance. She untangled a hand from the mess of sheets, patting the space next to her repeatedly before she sat up groggily with a bit of irritation at having woken up without her human-sized heater.

 

 

Joohyun rubbed her eyes, wiping sleep away with a pout marring her face, sighing when she heard the soft hum of music outside their bedroom. She patted her cheeks softly to chase the remnants of sleep before getting out of bed and padding the carpeted floor out towards the living room. She pulled the door open and heard the sweet lull of classical music in low volume.

 

 

Joohyun smiled when she noticed the adorable head of her girlfriend, book in her both hands, immersed in her reading.

 

 

“Seungwan-ah,” she called the brunette, who didn’t even flinched nor react to her, Joohyun rolled her eyes. Seungwan and her books tsk, she thought, it’s too early to be annoyed.

 

 

She moved from her spot by their bedroom door, quietly walking towards her unsuspecting girlfriend.

 

 

 

“It’s very weird to watch your brain work,” Lindsey said, and Colin sighed. He knew he couldn’t tell stories, that he always included extraneous details and tangents that interested only him. “Anyway, the end of that story is that I came relatively close to having a lion bite my pe—

 

 

 

Seungwan huffed when a weight pressed down her chest, raven locks tickling her nostrils, making her move the hand holding her book upwards as lavender scent invaded her entire being, warmth bubbling in the pit of her stomach up towards her chest. Arms circled on her sides, securing her waist in a firm grip. She felt the head bury itself on her neck, breathing her in, sending goosebumps on her neck and arms.

 

 


“You left me,” Seungwan heard Joohyun’s muffled voice on her neck before her girlfriend’s head bobbed out of her view, pout on her lips with eyes staring at her unamused.

 

 

Seungwan let go of the book she’s holding, the object dropping with a soft thud on the floor.

 

 

Seungwan smiled tenderly at Joohyun, eyes bright and warm with affection, sending the nerves on her toes tingling. She felt somehow shy under Seungwan’s gaze, making her want to hide back again in the latter’s neck. But Seungwan was too quick to trap her face in between her palms.

 

 

“Good morning, baby,” Seungwan said, before leaning in for a kiss on her forehead, the warmth of lightly grazing between her eyebrows before lowering itself on the tip of her nose for a peck. Joohyun could only held onto her girlfriend’s side tightly, fear of crushing Seungwan with her weight at the back of her mind.

 

 

But she barely registered the soft smile on Seungwan’s face as she managed to steal her breath away with a simple ‘good morning’ kiss.

 

 

 


two

 

 

 

Seungwan watched in amazement at the countless books surrounding her. Shelves and shelves and shelves lining the aisles, creating a maze with books as the primary object in every entrance and end. She looked at Joohyun staring at her in amusement, lips crooked in that indomitable smirk.

 

 

“You’re drooling, love,” Joohyun said, as she wiped invisible drool on the corner of her lips, and she just let her, ignoring the subtle teasing – books and discounts and books, clearly making her more smitten than her girlfriend being touchy with her.

 

 

Joohyun shook her head, smiling at Seungwan’s child-like glee, wondering if she’s in-love with a kid or a real adult.

 

 

Seungwan pulled her forward, looking at her with lips stretched into that smile that shows her dimples. Joohyun’s not a fan of books, but if books can make Seungwan smile until her dimples appears, then who was she to take it away from her.

 

 

 

But maybe, she should reconsider that line of thought again.

 

 

Joohyun scratched her head at the cartful of books, genre ranging from fantasy novels to horror-thrillers. It’s too much, to be honest. Seungwan’s hoarding all these books like a bear about to hibernate. She pulled Seungwan’s arm to get her attention, the latter busily scanning another shelf for potential reads to buy.

 

 

“Yes, baby?” she could barely even glance at her!

 

 

“Love, I don’t think our car can carry this much books,” Joohyun said, rolling her eyes when Seungwan just hummed in reply, reading the plot in a hardbound.

 

 

“Love, are you listening? Love,” she pulled Seungwan’s hand with a bit of force, making her girlfriend stare at her wide eyed as they stood face to face in that aisle that’s surprisingly empty of people.

 


“Joohy—“

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter