It's all about the boba

Today is Windy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's All About the Boba



Twelve words.

 

She doesn't know how many syllables. 

 

One woman.

 

The start of her long-term crush.



"Grapefruit green tea lemonade, large, 30% sugar with white pearls, please."

 

---

 

It was a relatively slow day. Wheein just started her shift right after her morning classes. Sitting behind the counter, she found herself fighting the sleep that has something to do with her late-night procrastination for a plate that she has failed to finish on time. 



Luckily, her professor gave them an extension until today. She tried her best to do it on time, really. But due to some… fortuitous events, she wasn't able to bounce back from her slump, causing her to put off more than half of her requirements for later.



So she stayed up all night, cramming half a month's worth of progress into one coffee-crazed night. She won't deny that she's talented enough to pull it off. Despite the skill she has, it was still a challenge, though. 



Today is her lucky day, it seemed. Not only did she get high scores in the rushed assignment, but she also had the opportunity to slack off at work this afternoon. The milktea shop she's currently working in is usually jam-packed with university students, either chattering or studying for an  upcoming exam. For now, though, only two people are inside the shop; Wheein, and a guy who was already there by the time she arrived from her classes.



She stole a quick glance at the man who is now packing his stuff inside his bag. She then returned her vision to where it was before, staring at the floor while fighting the urge to sleep.



She can feel her eyelids getting heavier by the second. The quick ring from the wind chime attached like a mistletoe above the doorway signalled her that someone opened the door. 



Must be the guy leaving.



She didn't bother to take a peek. Instead, she focused on trying to not be fired on the spot by making the shop a sleeping quarter. 



But it seems like her melatonin levels were higher than usual at that time.



She was about to be succumbed to a much-needed slumber when a voice startled her awake. 



"Hi?" She heard a woman speak, unsure if there's a person manning the counter. She shot right up from her seat, ignoring the fact that she was about to snore 5 seconds ago.



"Hi," Wheein spoke breathlessly upon seeing the girl in front of her.



Wow



Wow is right. She was absolutely smitten the first time she laid her eyes on the girl. 



Short chestnut hair, with bangs trimmed just right, check. 

 

Eyes that project a kind soul. Check.

 

A smile that could light up the entire North Korea. Check.



Yes, wow.



The girl gave a smile of relief.



Maybe she thought that we're closed.



"May I take your order?" Wheein asked, hiding the embarrassment from neglecting her duty as a staff of the milktea shop. The girl stared at the menu board above her head for a good 5 seconds before returning her gaze to Wheein.



"Grapefruit green tea lemonade, large, 50% sugar with black pearl and coconut, please," she requested, smiling all throughout the order.



Oh my god she's so cute



On the outside, Wheein is as cool as a cucumber. Two years in a big university will make you immune to pretty girls, at least that's what she thought at first.



Well, she thought wrong.



Her hand was slightly shaking as she punched the girl's order on the machine. Outside, she might be calm; but on the inside, she is trying her best to not let her gay panic show.



"Name, please?" She managed to not stutter from asking the pretty girl's name. She made a mental note to pat herself on the back for such a feat.



"Oh, ugh, Wendy." The girl politely smiled.



Wendy, huh.



She punched the name on the register. She then printed the sticker and put it on a large cup for the tea. Wendy gave her the exact amount needed, to which she was thankful for.



"Alright, I'll have your order in no time, Wendy," she flashed a smile to the customer.



"Thank you," Wendy's eyes moved to her chest, "Wheein." then back to her eyes.



Good thing that Wendy turned around as soon as she was done thanking Wheein, missing the profuse blushing on the barista's face.



---



'Where are you?'



"I am walking," she replied, almost snapping at her bestfriend for being so demanding so early in the morning. She's on her way to a local diner, just a few blocks from her apartment. Hyejin, her bestfriend since diapers, decided to call her in the middle of the night, insisting that they should have breakfast together in the morning.



'Hurry up, the food will get cold!'



Well that definitely motivated her to walk faster. 



"Woah, you already ordered? Is it the usual? Your treat this time?" Wheein asked hopefully. She heard Hyejin laugh, causing her to raise an eyebrow.



"What? Don't mess around if it's about food!" 



'I just laughed! Is it wrong to laugh at my cute best friend? So grumpy…" she said endearingly. "And yes  it's the usual. Yes, it's on me. I know you've been stressed these past few weeks."



Wheein smiled at what her bestfriend said. Even if they don't communicate that much more than they used to, they still care for each other deeply. It's a low-maintenance kind of friendship, wherein the love that they feel for each other will endure any radio silence, no matter who "ghosts" who.



"Thanks. I'm coming in now," Wheein said as she entered the place. It's a western-style diner, with American breakfast dominating the menu. The place served as their go-to place whenever they would crave something non-traditional.



She spotted Hyejin sitting in a corner booth. The latter caught her eyes and gave her a warm smile. Wheein immediately made a beeline to where her bestfriend is sitting.



Wheein took a seat across the smiling Hyejin. The smell of sausage and waffles invaded her nostrils, together with the fragrance of coffee. 



"Eat, then we'll talk." Hyejin commanded. Wheein being Wheein, obeying like a puppy. They ate in silence, the sound of their utensils being drowned out by the soft music in the background. 



Finishing her plate, it was Hyejin who spoke first. 



"So, we may not be talking every single day, but we do follow each other in our rant accounts. Is it worse than before?" 



Wheein took a deep breath to recollect her thoughts. It isn't a secret, her condition. It started when she entered college. Too innocent, too sheltered from the pressure of trying to balance her academic and personal life. All was going well. But the requirements started to pile up, keeping her schedule packed. Wheein is a shy person right from the start, so the lack of time for socialization definitely made an impact on her relationship even further.



She started skipping her classes just to take a break. Hyejin noticed her strange behavior, because she knew that her bestfriend loves making art more than anything. Wheein explained that everything seemed like a chore, including painting.



Wheein burned out.



So Hyejin suggested something. Instead of skipping classes, maybe Wheein can redirect her energy to a productive activity. She made Wheein apply at the local milktea shop, since they both love boba tea, too. Like how she made her bestfriend be baptized, unknowingly. 



"Where are we going?" Wheein asked, complaint edging in her tone.



"Drink some boba tea," Hyejin said nonchalantly. 



"Boba tea?! At 7 in the morning? Are you kidding me?"



"Just trust me, okay?"



And that's how Wheein got the job at the place. And it worked. Kinda.



She has a new distraction. Whenever she felt like skipping class to bum out in her apartment, she would just, well, skip class to go to work. She can still pass her courses with flying colors despite the holes in her attendance sheets, anyway. 



It helped her get back her inspiration for the arts.

 

For a bit.



That's when her anxiety acted up, thus causing her to procrastinate this past few weeks. She's getting better, though. At least, that's what she told herself. 



"Hey, is it getting worse?" Hyejin's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. 



"I'll be fine. I'm coping, thanks to the job you forced me to take," Wheein playfully said.



"Hey, I only forced you to wake up at 6. I didn't force you to take the job." Hyejin rolled her eyes at her bestfriend. 



"Same bananas." Wheein deadpanned. "Oh, have I told you that someone was interested in my painting? You know, the one that was chosen to be exhibited this week?"



Hyejin practically vibrated at her best friend's news. "Really?! That's great! Are they buying it?"



"Well, I'm still thinking whether I should sell it or not." Wheein contemplated. 



"Why not? Are you attached to it?" 



Wheein wanted to say no. That she didn't care if the concrete evidence of her anxiety were to be sold to some person who finds it more beautiful than her. But she can't; at least, not now.  Because that painting represented her feelings and emotions. And to give it away feels like losing a part of her.



She made that particular piece when she didn't know what to do. It became her catharsis in the middle of her anxiety-ridden thoughts. 



She can only shrug at Hyejin's question.

 

---

 

They parted ways after catching up. Wheein doesn't have classes today so she went straight to work after her meetup with Hyejin. She pinned her nametag on her shirt, wiping it with her wrist to remove the dirt on it.



She checked the time. 10:39 am. Still early for people to drink boba tea. She busied herself with her phone, switching between social media apps. One particular post caught her eye in the student council's twitter account.



Lumière: A Charity Concert

For the benefit of LGBTQ Youth Crisis Support Center



With a picture of the girl from yesterday. 



With special performance from Conservatory of Music's WENDY



"She's pretty and talented? God, two of my weaknesses." 



She decided to save the poster to her gallery, for… reasons. With one last look at the photo, she noted the date and time of the concert. It will take place three weeks from now. 



Nice, my classes for the day should be done before the concert.

 

But should I go? Would it be weird?



"What would be weird?"



She was startled by the sound of her boss's voice. Yongsun was standing in front of the counter, trying to take a peek at her phone. The owner of the shop is in her late twenties, but despite the age difference, they get along with each other pretty well. Standing beside her is her girlfriend Byul.



"I was thinking of going to this charity concert. But it might be weird. I don't know, I'm just overthinking." 



It was Byul's turn to speak. "The charity concert for lgbt+ kids?"



Wheein nodded in reply. Byul widened her eyes in surprise. 



"Woah!" She exclaimed. "Wendy will be performing there! I didn't know they released the details already." 



"You know her?"



"Of course I do. She's my classmate in two of my subjects. I'm a music major too, you know. She's a nice person." Byul replied.



"Why, do you know her?" Yongsun asked.



"Well, not really," Wheein almost sounded as if she's disappointed at the thought. And maybe she was. "I served her yesterday.  She ordered grapefruit milktea. That's all."



It's almost comical, how the couple in front of her raised an eyebrow each in perfect synchronization. Wheein creased her forehead, a questioning look plastered on her face. The couple looked at each other, before smirking at Wheein.



"Of all people, you memorized her face AND order?" Byul teased.



Oh god, here it comes.



"Wheein, may I remind you that we have a no-flirting-with-customers policy," Yongsun said seriously. 



Wheein blinked, swallowing the bile in . 



"W-we do?" She stuttered. 



The couple broke their stone-faced facade then burst out laughing at Wheein's nervousness. 



"I'm just kidding," Yong wiped a tear from her laughing fit. "Of course it's fine, as long as it's consensual," she winked, making Wheein roll her eyes at her.



"Oh~ our little Wheein wants to flirt with Wendy Son." Byul teased, for the nth time today. 



So Son is her last name, huh




Wheein snapped out of her sudden realization. 

 

"Is that why you think going to the concert would be weird?" Wheein nodded in response to Yong's question. "You're a student in the university, Wheein. You're free to go there.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter