one-shot

i love you, i do. (im sorry i play favourites)

Wonyoung would never outrightly admit it, but Chaeyeon unnie is her favourite unnie.

If the other unnies were to hear her, they’d immediately be up in arms. Eunbi unnie would gasp exaggeratedly and dramatically denounce her, Yena unnie would start listing all the things she’s ever done for her, Yuri unnie would look betrayed, Hyewon unnie would pout and pull her into a hug that’s meant to suffocate her, Nako unnie would look offended, Hitomi unnie would sigh but acquiesce, Chaewon unnie would cross her arms and flare her nostrils and try to hide her smile (because her amusement always overcomes her when she tries acting), Yujin unnie would start recalling their entire history together, Minju unnie would pout and whine, and Sakura unnie would just smile. Wonyoung knows her unnies, she knows all of them and loves all of them. But if she were to rank all of them, Chaeyeon unnie is undoubtedly her favourite. And Sakura unnie is her least.

It’s not that she doesn’t love Sakura unnie, she loves her so much. Like the other members, Kkura unnie is like her real older sister. Unnie is calm and dependable and easy-going. She’s always there to help open up a pack of chips or a can drink, always quick to swoop in during Japanese interviews and save them when things start going south, always reminding them of manners and etiquette when they’re working without being too overbearing. Unnie doesn’t show much physical affection unlike the other members, but she smiles kindly and allows Wonyoung to squish their cheeks together and spends more time on her radio show complimenting them than talking about anything else. Unnie is always fixing their errors without even pointing out that it was an error, with nobody but the person responsible realising the mistake and even then they’re able to move on without dwelling because unnie has kept the conversation going without ever bringing it up. (Most of the time, however, Eunbi unnie picks up on it while monitoring and brings it up in the group chat later.) Wonyoung admires her. Sakura unnie is cool.

The thing is, Kkura unnie sometimes feels like she’s so far away. She’s cool and calm and kind and distant. This doesn’t matter much to her personally, because Wonyoung knows unnie loves them and Wonyoung loves her too. Wonyoung knows.

(The first time Wonyoung sees Chaeyeon unnie cry at home, it’s four in the morning and they’re in the middle of a three-day-long break. She’d woken up from a weird dream that bordered on a nightmare, though its traces were already fleeting as she stared up at the ceiling with her pulse racing. The other members were fast asleep, and she laid there in the darkness, trying to follow their lead but ultimately failing. She squinted at her phone to check the time and inwardly sighed as her heavy eyes made out the digits.

Wonyoung ultimately decided to relieve herself and drink something, carefully climbing down because too much jostling would wake up Sakura unnie who’s a light sleeper. She walked slowly out of their room with her handphone torch lighting her way, slowly easing her way through the tiny gap available when she opened with the door slightly. And that’s when she hears crying.

It’s soft, like the crier was stifling their tears. Wonyoung knew her roommates were fast asleep, so they must be either Chaeyeon unnie or Hitomi unnie, both members that didn’t really seek comfort in others when they’re upset.

“I just don’t understand her,” she whispered through tears, Wonyoung only being able to make out the words because of how silent the dorm was as she stood frozen in front of her room. But Wonyoung can always recognise Chaeyeon unnie’s voice, even when whispered and tearful and in a tone that’d never been directed towards her.

“Sakura’s not one to show her emotions,” Wonyoung heard Eunbi unnie say, “You understand her best out of all of us.”

“She hates me,” Chaeyeon unnie sounded nothing like she ever had before, at least to Wonyoung.

Chaeyeon unnie was bright smiles and slightly scolding tones and energetic play-fights. Chaeyeon unnie was hard work and seriousness and determination. Chaeyeon unnie was playful dances and homecooked meals and snacks brought from home. Chaeyeon unnie sounded wrong.

Wonyoung had slithered right back into her room and climbed back onto her bunk with her heart in and had only managed to fall asleep while the others were already getting up.)

Wonyoung loves Sakura unnie. She’s cool and admirable and professional and affectionate in her own way. But Chaeyeon unnie is Wonyoung’s favourite unnie, and Sakura unnie’s way hurts her. It isn’t really Sakura unnie’s fault, so it doesn’t diminish the way she views her or how much she loves her. But.

Wonyoung will never ever say it (because she knows how it’ll look, knows it’ll only hurt her unnie’s feelings, knows that others won’t really get it), but Sakura unnie is her least favourite unnie.