You Can Call Me Rosie

The Old Fashioned Way

    Sugar, bitters, rye with a twist of orange and a cherry. This is the way. There was no greater recipe to a perfect cocktail in my opinion. The old fashioned was a bonnefied classic, a timeless gem that deserves only the utmost respect. It was my personal drink of choice, and one I had spent many hours over the years developing into a signature staple of all my menus in all of my establishments. It was a drink I knew inside and out. Yes, the old fashioned cocktail was something I was all too familiar and comfortable with. But when it came to old fashioned women on the other hand well, that’s another story. Allow me to elaborate.

 

    It all started a few years back. I was still studying mixology at a local bar in downtown Los Angeles that I had been given the privilege to take over just recently. This meant that I was essentially responsible for the entire success of the establishment. All new hires were my call, all specials were my call, and the part I hated most, all financial duties were also one of the numerous tasks I had handed over to me. It was a lot of responsibility for someone my age. I was only 24 at the time and there were certainly moments when it all seemed to be more than what I bargained for. However I welcomed it. What was life without a challenge here and there to keep oneself honest? I was confident enough in myself and thankfully had the support of several colleagues, friends and family to fall back on. 

 

    It wasn’t long before my first official duty as bar manager came up. It was about to be the holiday season, which meant a huge spike in business. We were somewhat under staffed to say the least. Not to the point where we couldn’t function well enough, but I knew that we’d be needing some extra hands on board for the next few months. One of the major downsides to being responsible for hiring was it often took me away from being able to do the job I had loved, which was bartending itself. 

 

“Jackson, I need you to look over these resumes before the end of the day and choose your top 3 candidates to have come in for interviews. I trust you can handle this, yes?” And there it was. This was my first official duty as bar manager of 82 LTD. 

 

“Yes sir. I’ll get going with these right away.”

 

“Good. I’m counting on you to maintain the mark of excellence this place has had over the years. Only interview the most promising candidates.”

 

“I understand.”

 

“Very well then. I guess you’re officially in charge now, aren’t you? I suppose I need to know when to walk away graciously. Anyways, good luck Jackson. We’re all counting on you. I have the utmost faith in your abilities.” We shook hands for what would most likely be the final time. At least, the final time as co-workers.It was hard to say goodbye to my old manager. After all, he was the one who groomed me into the person I am behind the bar today. Hopefully one day we will meet again.

 

    I took a seat off in the back and began to skim over the couple dozen resumes we had received lately. 82 LTD was very prestigious, so everyone wanted to be here, but we rarely did hire, and even in the instances where we did, it was a lengthy process that usually involved multiple interviews and several weeks of training. 

 

Name: Matthew Kim

Age: 27

From: Los Angeles, CA

 

Overall very good credentials. And he was local which is always a bonus. It generally makes the process a bit smoother, and locals tend to provide more business opportunities as they have established relationships here already. However, we didn’t need any more men here. Our staff surprisingly was mostly men as is, and while there is no issue with that, it would be nice to have a few women around as well to appeal to a wider range of clientele. That being said, he would make a fine addition to the team nonetheless. The years of experience would be useful. 

 

Name: Nancy McDonie

Age: 20

From: Ohio, USA

 

Again, seemingly good credentials. She was very well educated and had some experience working in the service industry. But sadly she was still too young to work for us. We didn’t allow any staff members under the age of 21 unless their birthday fell within the next couple weeks. It was too much of a legal liability otherwise.  

 

Name: Roseanne Park

Age: 23

From: Melbourne, Australia

 

Apparently she recently moved to the city. I had actually heard her name before too. She was somewhat of a celebrity overseas you could say. Very well-known and established even at such a young age. She had a way of crafting and presenting cocktails and interacting with guests that was on a whole other level. Not to mention she was undeniably stunning visually, or at least that’s what I had heard. Either way, it would be an honor to have someone so distinguished working here. 

 

    I skimmed over a few more resumes, but no one else really caught my attention. Mostly a batch of candidates that were terribly under-qualified, underaged or unwilling to go through our process. I couldn’t blame them in that case though. I barely got in myself, and even once I was in, there was still no guarantee I actually would’ve gotten to bartend. We were unfortunately notorious for that sort of thing. I suppose that’s what made this place so sought after in the community though. That mark of exclusivity, that notion that only the best of the best got to come here. 

 

    It would be closing time soon. I felt as if I had lost track of time having been buried under paperwork for the majority of the day. Something I would have to get used to as I took over more duties in the future. It was around 11pm or so now. I had already let everyone else leave for the night. I grabbed my things from the back and proceeded to make the final rounds and close up. As I was just about to shut off the lights, but then I heard the door open. Someone must’ve forgotten something I figured. But this was not the case. 

 

“Excuse me, but is there anyone here?”

 

 I didn’t recognize the voice I heard at all. It was a woman’s voice. She had an accent that I couldn’t quite place however. Definitely not from around here. 

 

“Hello?” 

 

She called out again. I wasn’t sure what to make of the unexpected visit at this hour, but I was not one to be rude. I walked out from around the corner to greet the young lady. 

 

“Yes, I’m sorry. We are closed for the night sadly. Is there something I can help you with?” I froze for a moment once my eyes met her. She was gorgeous to say the least. Around my age with a model-like figure, brown eyes and long, blonde hair. I was rather impressed. 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry to bother. I can come back another time.” 

 

Even the way she spoke was beautiful. It wasn’t that what she was saying was particularly appealing, but rather the way it sounded when she spoke. Her voice had an alluring quality. 

 

“Sorry I’ll try again some other time.”

 

“No no no no you’re fine. My apologies. I didn’t mean to seem cold. What can I do for you?”

 

“I actually applied here recently. I happened to be on my way home and thought I’d stop by and see the place for myself. I’m Roseanne by the way, but you can just call me Rosie if you’d like.” 

 

It was her. . . 

 

“You wouldn’t happen to be the manager here, would you?” 

 

“Ah, yes I am. I recently took over actually. And I don’t mean to be too forward, but I must say I have heard a fair deal about you Miss Park. I’m very impressed and it’s an honor to meet you.” 

 

“Oh stop it,” she said, beginning to get flustered. “Thank you though. What’s your name?”

 

“Jackson,” I said, flashing a casual smile. “I suppose since you’re already here, it would be okay to tell you that I’d like to have you come in for an official interview.”

 

“Wait seriously?”

 

“Of course. You’re more than qualified. Don’t tell the others, but in your case, the interview really is more of a formality.” 

 

It wasn’t our policy to hire on the spot and I’m sure our former manager would chew me out for implying such a thing to a candidate. But this had to be an exception. Roseanne Park was one of the greatest prospects, and I wasn’t about to lose her to another bar over a technicality. She was simply too perfect to pass up. 

 

“So, you’re offering me the job tonight? A-am I hearing that correctly or. . . “

 

“It’s against policy to hire on the spot. So no, I’m not offering you the job tonight. But I wouldn’t worry too much about the outcome of your interview Miss Park.”

 

“Oh no I couldn’t accept that. If it’s against your rules then I don’t want to get you in trouble with anyone or stir up trouble with others.”

 

I admired her integrity. She seemed genuine, and that’s not something we see a lot in the industry these days. 

 

“As I told you, I am the manager now. So hiring is my responsibility, and I have the leeway to bend some rules if I deem it in the best interest of the business. Can you come back tomorrow afternoon?”

 

“S-sure I can do that. When would you like me here?”

 

“Please come back around 1pm if that’s alright. I’ll interview you then.” 

 

“I’ll be here.” Her flustered and shy demeanor shifted to a more ecstatic and bright persona. Her eyes lit up with excitement, and a bright smile covered her face. I found it all rather adorable, but I couldn’t tell her that. For professional reasons of course. But I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t already developed a liking to her. 

 

“Do I need to wear anything in particular, or bring anything?”

 

“Come as you are Miss Park. You dress well so I’m not worried. And you shouldn’t be either.” I could tell a light blush hue came over her face when I said that. I wasn’t trying to flirt with her, but perhaps it was just in my nature. 

 

“You certainly know how to ease nerves,” she said shyly. “1pm tomorrow. I’ll be here.”

 

“I will see you tomorrow then. Please get home safe.”

 

“You too. Goodnight!” 

 

She turned and made her way back to the door. She left almost as gracefully as I imagine she entered. I was looking forward to chatting with her tomorrow. Of all the cocktail lounges in all of Los Angeles, she applied to mine. Hopefully she’ll like it here. I couldn’t imagine her not liking it here. We’ll see how this goes. 

 

    I once again proceeded to grab my things and finish locking up for the night. I shut off the lights, and as I opened the door and as soon as I stepped out, I could hear a commotion around the corner. Without thinking I dropped my bag and ran around to see what was going on. As I turned the corner, there she was before my eyes once more. Only this time, she was in distress as there were a couple of men who seemed to be causing a bother. Drunks by the look of it. Not an uncommon site around these parts at this time of night. 

 

“Hey!” I shouted over to the crowd to get their attention.

 

“What’s going on here? Why are you gentlemen bothering this young lady?” 

 

My suspicions were confirmed at that point. One man was so drunk he could barely stand up straight, whilst the other could barely complete a sentence without slurring his words. 

 

“It’s past curfew you know. Don’t make me call the police,” I said to the men. 

 

“What are you doing out here Miss Park?” 

 

“I was . . .I usually walk home but. . . “

 

“You can’t do that here. It isn’t safe. I’ll take you home tonight.”

 

“No you don’t have to do that. Besides we just met and I can’t impose like that.”

 

“It’s fine. Let’s go.”

 

I gave the drunkards one last glare before putting my arm around her and prompting us to walk with haste. You could hear those men cackling in the background. Why were they even out this late anyway? It was none of my business I suppose. 

 

“Those guys back there, did they hurt you at all?”

 

“No . . Just, being stupid. It’s fine really.”

 

“You know, pretty girls like you shouldn’t be hanging around by yourself after dark. It’s dangerous.” 

 

“I know that now I guess,” she said, trying to cover her nerves with a bit of a laugh. 

 

“Wait, did you just call me pretty?”

 

“I was making a generalization that’s all. But yes, I did.” She immediately began turning red again, much like earlier. 

 

“Where do you live if I may ask?”

 

“J-just a few blocks up from here. You really don’t have to see me home though. Honest.”

 

“You’re right. I don’t. But I can’t have my first hire getting hurt before she starts either.” 

 

I don’t know what I was saying to her, or how I was managing to say it, but it seemed as though every word caused her cheeks to become more and more flushed. 

 

“Thank you,” she said with a smile while attempting to hide her embarrassment. I simply smiled back to acknowledge. On the outside, I was perfectly calm. On the inside however, that’s another story.