1/2.

the story of us.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Choi Yuna. Kim Yewon.

 

The two of them have been my best friends since our diaper days— just like our mothers but they only met in elementary school. While Yuna and I are of the same age, Yewon is a year younger than us. It's a small age difference so it wasn't an issue for us to get along with each other. Throughout the years, we have made a lot of memories together. The happy ones are perfect for reminiscing but of course, the arguments are worth remembering too. I like to think that they're the reason why our bond grows stronger as each day passes by. I'm grateful that each of us knew when to put our pride down and apologise if we're ever in the wrong.

 

I can't imagine a life without any of them. 

 

They're my pillars of strength; the ones who keep me going whenever I feel like giving up. I feel like I've been a bad friend to them at times but they're always there to reassure me that I'm not. It makes me feel warm knowing I have friends that will never give up on me. Because of them, they make my everyday life full of happiness and laughter. I'm not saying my own family members don't make me feel the same but with them, it's different. Yuna and Yewon are people I can freely show who I am to them and not be judged. 

 

The two of them are alike yet different in certain aspects of their personalities. They make a perfect pair— each having traits that complement one another. However, Yuna is too dense to notice that while Yewon, on the other hand, is too much of a coward to take any action. I can't blame her though. Yuna has made it obvious many times that she sees Yewon as nothing but a younger sister she never had. It makes me wonder how Yewon can hide her feelings so well as if she's never affected by how Yuna continuously friendzoned her. Until one day, curiosity takes over me so I ask her.

 

“Why not tell Yuna how you truly feel about her?”

 

Yewon has this sad and longing smile plastered on her face that causes my insides to twist in ways I didn't know are possible. If anything, I don't like seeing my friends sad.

 

“You know exactly why,” she answers, her voice soft. “I'll be nothing more than a younger sister she never had to her. She has already made that obvious too many times.”

 

“But—”

 

“Won't you find it weird if we dated?” 

 

“Of course not!” I answer without hesitation. “I want to see the both of you happy. Besides, I trust that you'll take care of Yuna well. I don't think I can trust anyone else.”

 

Yewon laughs but it's a weak one. “We all know Yuna has eyes for only one person. I will never have the chance.”

 

“You won't even try?”

 

Yewon shakes her head. “I don't want our friendship to strain and lose her eventually.”

 

I didn't ask her any more questions that day. I, too, feel sad after the conversation, hopeless that I can't help them with their situation.


 

✖✖


 

Yuna is hard to read sometimes. She isn't one to let her feelings out easily whenever she's angry or sad. She would rather hide those feelings and cry to herself than to talk to me or Yewon or better the both of us at the same time. She doesn't want to burden us with her problems, she told us once. She knows we're more than willing to listen and help her out but if it's her problem only, she wants to deal with it herself. I find that admirable but sometimes, I wish she would just tell us everything instead of keeping them to herself.

 

Personally, I don't think I give good advice but if someone is in need of a listening ear— especially Yuna and Yewon—, I'll be more than willing to hear them out and suggest something they can do even if it's the bare minimum. Between the three of us, Yewon is the one who gives the best advice. Although the youngest, Yewon is always firm with her words, never sugarcoating what she says just to make us feel better. They hurt sometimes but we know she's only telling the truth.

 

Yuna, too, gives good advice. She comes second after Yewon. Her sentences are usually well thought out and just like Yewon, she doesn't like to sugarcoat things. However, her words are less likely to hurt as much as Yewon's do and that's one of the differences they have. 

 

Today, the three of us are hanging in Yuna's house. She developed a fever overnight but only told us about it this morning when Yewon forced the truth out of her. It caused Yewon and I to instantly panic when we found out, knowing Yuna isn't one to easily fall sick. It didn't take us long to get ready and visit Yuna to take care of her.

 

Seeing how the two are bickering as Yewon tries to feed Yuna some porridge, I dare not interrupt their moment and just watch them from the sofa. It's endearing seeing the way they act with each other.

 

“You should eat at least a few spoonfuls, Yuna,” Yewon says, placing the spoon nearer to Yuna's mouth for the nth time.

 

“But I'm not hungry,” Yuna huffs.

 

A soft giggle leaves my lips hearing her childish reply. It's typical of Yuna to act that way. She's firm whenever it comes to making decisions. 

 

“Eunbi won't like it if you don't eat even just a little.”

 

My eyes widen when I hear my name being mentioned. What has this got to do with me? Before I could say anything, Yuna beats me to it first.

 

“Fine,” she grumbles. “I'm going to eat just a bit.”

 

“Good.” Yewon hands over the bowl of porridge to Yuna. However, when she sees her only staring at the food, she adds, “Do you need Eunbi to feed you then you'll start to eat?”

 

“What?” I blink. Why am I suddenly in the conversation again? Noticing Yewon looking at me, I breathe out an inaudible sigh and stand up from the sofa to head to where they are.

 

“It's okay. I can feed myself.”

 

Tsk.

 

I just wasted my time standing up from the sofa when I could've rested there longer.

 

It's not surprising, though. Yuna is indecisive that way sometimes. 


 

✖✖


 

While Yewon chooses to stay overnight to take care of Yuna, I decide to give the two of them some alone time by leaving, giving them an excuse that I have to meet someone else. Well…  technically, it's not an excuse because someone does want to meet me and I agreed beforehand not knowing Yuna is going to fall sick today but it makes me feel slightly bad when I see Yuna looking sad.

 

“A penny for your thoughts?”

 

“They're worth mor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter