Chapter 2

I say A, you say hey
“So, don’t be mad.”
 
That was easier said than done especially if Zeng Keni says it.
 
“I’m going to be mad,” Yu Yan scowled even harder than humanly possible. “What is it, Keni?”
 
“I told Sun Rui about your show this Friday.”
 
“Oh okay-” That wasn’t as bad as Yu Yan thought until, “Oh.” She groans because she already knows where this is heading. If Sun Rui is there, there’s a huge chance that Dai Meng would be there too. She’s trying to stay away, but somehow, there’s some bizarre cosmic BS that always lead them smack dab in front of each other.
 
“Knowing that they’re roommates, just gonna warn you that a certain professor might come and watch too.”
 
“Oh okay,” Yu Yan played it cool and she thought it’s going to stop there.
 
“So, you don’t mind if laoshi comes or not?”
 
“I… I don’t.”
 
“Well, that’s good,” Keni looked relieved that Yu Yan didn’t want to bite her head off. “I just thought she would like to see a different side than this uptight, with a stick shove real deep in her Yu Yan.”
 
Yu Yan’s apathetic expression morph quickly to a pissed off look,
 
“What if she sees a new side of me?”
 
“Well, she’s going to graduate, you’re going to graduate, maybe the two of you can you know-“
 
“No, I do not. What is it?” Yu Yan crosses her arms and looks defensively at her bestfriend.
 
“You two should date.”
 
“And why?”
 
But Keni counter back with, “And why not?”
 
For once, Yu Yan can’t help but agree with Keni, why not? Why can’t they date?
 
“I just think out of all the girls you’re interested in, or those girls who are interested in you. She’s the only one who can keep you on your toes.”
 
“My toes are good, Keni. They don’t need keeping up.”
 
Keni responds back with that stink face before scoffing, “She’s not in your range of cute, but she’s definitely in a whole another level of hot. She’s smart and-“
 
“Fine. I get your point but still no. But you’re doing all this shipping but you don’t even know if we even like each other.”
 
Keni just replies with an indignant scoff that Yu Yan definitely did not appreciate.
 
“What is that for?”
 
“Have you seen the both of you? Together?”
 
“That’s inappropriate. She’s my teacher.”
 
“Oh please, you’re 22. You’re an adult. But You know, have it your way. Besides, who knows if she’s really going to go.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Sun Rui said she’s been too busy with her doctorate stuff, she barely even comes out of her room. So, she might not even come.”
 
How come that bother her worse than she thought?
 
“Yeah, you got a point.”
 
“Of course, I do. I’m full of points. I’m a freaking line!” Keni raises her long limbs in the air, in her defense.
 
“What?”
 
“You know what they say, a group of points is called a line. So, you know since I have a lot of points, then I must be a line. I learn that in my geometry class.”
 
Yu Yan shakes her head in complete disappointment,
 
“Just when I was starting to respect you, you say something to make me change my mind.”
 
*
 
Yu Yan had read something along the lines, “If you try not to think about it, the more you’ll end up thinking about it.” It didn’t really hit her as hard as it did these days. Nowadays, its like she’s living embodiment of those words. As much as she tries not to think of her English professor, the more she does.
 
Saturday, she thinks of her. Sunday, she thinks of her. It’s Monday now, her mind should be full of classes and deadlines and all that especially since graduation is fast approaching, but no, just no.
 
She escapes to the library when she realizes that being in her room alone was making things worse. It was a huge mistake when she sees the one she’s trying to avoid. The English professor in the tutoring areas helping some poor daze students with their classes.
 
From afar, Yu Yan sees the way her professor cares. She speaks softly, looking back and forth to the students while she circles and help correct what the student needs. But what’s so damn pretty (she means nice) is when she smiles after she sees the light on the students’ eyes.
 
When she finished, her attention goes back to her laptop. Those haunting eyes completely focused on her screen, that jawline that could cut through fangirls’ life in half, and those red, full lips jutted in a way that made it more delectable.
 
Now, she’s just being a creep.
 
Maybe she should get it over with.
 
“Hey laoshi.”
 
Her professor turned away from her laptop, greeting Yu Yan with a smile while all she could do is shuffle her air Jordans on the library floor.
 
“Oh Yu Yan? I should have known you won’t use this as a free period.”
 
“Well, you did say not to use it as a free period.”
 
Her laoshi just flashes that half smirk that is beginning to be less infuriating and more breathtaking, “it’s more like a reverse psychology thing. If I say not to use it as free period, the students will use it as a free period.”
 
“Ah. Well, I didn’t get the reverse psychology.”
 
“That’s alright. Let me just save-” Dai Meng turns to her laptop and starts clicking save and exit to about a hundred tabs before returning her attention to her.
 
“I could come back.”
 
“Don’t worry. You’re my first priority.”
 
Yu Yan quickly turns to her Air Jordans again. She could feel a smile about to break and she’s trying really hard to resist it.
 
“Oh, you got that book,” Dai Meng pointed to the small but thick paperback that Yu Yan is carrying. “Here, let me make you some notes on it.”
 
Yu Yan hands over the book with no protest. Her eyes trails her teacher’s every move, from when she uncaps her pen with , to when her lips move quietly, when she starts scribbling and finally when she flashes that proud smirk.
 
“As your teacher, I make sure I provided good examples and corrections to the difference rules, so they’ll be easier to understand.”
 
Yu Yan skims through the pages, and laughs at the scribbles written between the margins and spaces of the pages.
 
Sentence Fragment:
Ex. Incorrect: Yu Yan frowns everyday. In spite of everything.
Correct: In spite of everything, Yu Yan frowns everyday.
 
Run on Sentence
Incorrect: Yu Yan comes to class early but she never says hi to her teacher.
Correct: Yu Yan comes to class early, but she never says hi to her teacher.
 
Yu Yan shuts her book, just giving in and letting out an amused grin,
 
“You think you can get than 4.0 paper now?”
 
“Depends. My teacher is quite picky.”
 
“You say picky, I say high standards,” She teased that earned an eye roll from Yu Yan.
 
It took Yu Yan a couple of good minutes to realize that she’s staring longer than she should have. But it was too late now, Dai Meng might have realized it too as she clears and looks back at her notes.
 
But it wasn’t just that that Yu Yan realized, there was something else. Something that terrifies her to the core. Dai Meng had done the unthinkable and had put her in a tough predicament between you and I’d like to you.
 
So, ummm Keni invited Sun Rui to ummm the show on Friday,” Yu Yan breaks the ice.
 
“Yeah she told me about it,” Dai Meng looks at her, and a part of Yu Yan wished it’s not one of those laoshi looking at her student look. “If you think it’s awkward that I’ll be there, I really don’t have to go.”
 
Yu Yan raised a speculative brow, “Is this your excuse for bailing out?”
 
Her professor laughs. It’s soft yet addicting, “No. I just want to make sure.”
 
“The more people the merrier, even if they’re my stingy laoshi who can’t give me a 4.0.”
 
Dai Meng rolls her eyes playfully, “I’m looking forward to it then.”
 
Yu Yan wanted to ask her why, but it’s her damn pride holding her back in, even adding,
 
“Cool. You can even bring a date.”
 
How come the moment she said that, it left an unsettling feeling bubbling in her stomach? It felt like undigested food or alcohol that she can’t just vomit out.
 
But her teacher doesn’t seem to be bothered at all and said, “Okay. I’ll bring a friend then. Okay. Now let’s look at your paper.”
 
Just when Yu Yan’s stomach couldn’t feel more heavier, she hears that.
 
“Yeah. of course.”
 
*
 
“You’re waiting for someone?”
 
Yu Yan pulls away from the curtain and turns to Meiyan grinning playfully at her. It is usually hard for Yu Yan to click with people, so she’ll spare Meiyan her death glare. Their love for music instantly bonded them during their boring accounting classes. From sharing obscure songs and artists that they like, to now performing on stage (nothing grand but a stage is a stage), their friendship came a long way.
 
“Ummm no, I’m just seeing how many people there are.”
 
“We could have one person or a thousand, it doesn’t change how you go beast mode on stage.”
 
“Thousand people,” Yu Yan shrugs it off. She was never the type who suffer from stage fright, but this particular one got her bouncing off her feet. “That will be the day.”
 
“Well then, maybe it’s not the thousand people that is getting you all nervous like this, maybe… it’s just one.”
 
But before Yu Yan could reply, the MC calls them out.
 
Yu Yan didn’t have time to search the crowd for her face, but it’s like her eyes automatically finds her anyway. Her body reacts before her mind can even make sense what was going on.
 
She finds Dai Meng seating next to Keni, looking much softer and oh so damn beautiful in that pink off shoulder blouse. It was something that someone might wear on a date. A date?
 
That unsettling feeling returned when she spots Dai Meng’s “friend”. The girl is drop dead gorgeous, a fox face seducer with an I’m-going-to-steal-your-bae-look.
 
Out of the hundred pairs of eyes out there, still her brown eyes were magnetized to one. Keni and Sun Rui were cheering so loudly, but it’s like everything is on mute and in that room, it was just her performing for one.
 
Yu Yan takes a deep breath and in one word brought the entire house down.
 
I………. think I’m sweet on you.
 
*
 
“Oh, there she is! Superstar!”
 
“Yu Yan! Yu Yaaaaaaaan! Yuuuuuu Yaaaaaaan!”
 
Yu Yan stops a few feet away from the table, debating to join these two hollering her name out in this entire bar.
 
Maybe that she could survive, but seeing Dai Meng laoshi sitting way too close to this Xu Jiaqi (she’s assuming), she might not be able to live through that. Xu Jiaqi looks like she’s sitting on her lap, but Yu Yan can’t look away, not when Dai Meng’s soulful eyes just bares down to her soul. There’s that smile too, that was enough to draw Yu Yan to their table.
 
“Hey.”
 
She snapped back into reality, “Oh. Ummm you came?”
 
The other three girls suddenly burst into obnoxious snickers, it wasn’t until Dai Meng looks away with an equally playful smile that it dawned to Yu Yan what she had said.
 
“Let’s just say she came because of you.”
 
“Ahem ahem ahem ahem…”
 
“Oh, how I could forget? This is Xu Jiaqi.”
 
Xu Jiaqi. How could she even put into words how describe her? The best way was like this post she read somewhere, when you just look at a girl and wonder how the can they be this gorgeous?
 
“Dai Meng, she’s not talking. I think I mesmerize her with my beauty,” Xu Jiaqi whispers worriedly at Dai Meng.
 
That woke her up pretty quickly.
 
“Wait what?”
 
“Sorry, Yu Yan, we just pick Xu Jiaqi up from the asylum after she’s in there for her narcissism.”
 
Xu Jiaqi’s smile quickly turns into a disgruntled pout,
 
“We thought it was safe to bring her to public turns out, it’s not.”
 
“14 days more in the asylum for you.”
 
“Okay, now you’re just hurting my feelings,” Xu Jiaqi protests and whines. “It’s not my fault that I stun people with my looks.” She defends herself, only making her look more guilty. Those gorgeous eyes turned to Yu Yan with what she can assume is sympathy. “I’m sorry Yu Yan, but you’re taken.”
 
Yu Yan tilts her head in complete confusion, “Wait… I’m taken? Or you’re taken?”
 
“You’re taken. You and Dai-“
 
“Shut up, Jiaqi. Sorry about her. You did awesome back there,” Dai Meng congratulates her with a smile, that Yu Yan couldn’t help but smile back too.
 
“Oh my God, look at that, they’re exchanging shy smiles.”
 
That comment snapped them both out of their world.
 
“For sake, Sun Rui, stop acting like you’re 12.” Dai Meng snaps in that y growl.
 
“Oh, speaking of 12 years old. remember we have to finish our game today.” Sun Rui’s face twitching uncontrollably, Keni looking completely surprise. “Keni, remember our game?”
 
“What game?” Keni blinks in confusion.
 
“The game?” Sun rui’s intense acting finally worked and Keni smacks the table as she gets it.
 
“We do. Oh yes, we do, we do.”
 
One thing with Keni is that she’s the worse liar in the history of liars. Yu Yan caught her so effortlessly and she’s ready to catch her in her lie.
 
“Oh yeah,” Yu Yan crosses her arms, ready to catch them in a lie. “What game is it?”
 
“Doki Doki Literature Club.”
 
“Mario kart.”
 
The two said their mismatch answers in unison, Dai Meng just rolls her eyes, clearly amused.
 
“What we mean is, we play doki doki and when it gets to scary, we take a break with Mario Kart.”
 
“Oh. Okay.”
 
“Alright, we are out of here. So, stay protected kids.”
 
Keni and Sun Rui disappeared before Yu Yan can say anything,
 
“Ummm so,” Jiaqi cuts in with a deliciously devious smirk. “How long have you two been dating?”
 
Yu Yan is thankful she’s not drinking anything or she would have spit it all out or choke or both.
 
“Jiaqi, I swear to God,” Dai Meng growls once again. “She’s my student and I’m not dating her.”
 
“You’re not? But you talk about her-“
 
“Hey, isn’t that Wuzhe over by the bar?”
 
“Where?” Jiaqi jumps out of her chair so quick, Yu Yan almost fell out of hers. “Oh, my bae is here. I will go ahead and leave you two. Don’t wait up for me, Dai Meng I might not go home tonight or tomorrow or this whole weekend. Nice to meet you, Yu Yan. Dai Meng she got nice hands, second to Wuzhe’s 10.7 -”
 
“Okay, Jiaqi good luck with whatever you’re planning,” But Dai Meng’s bestfriend had already skipped away to the bar.
 
Yu Yan watches as an ocean of people part ways for Xu Jiaqi, it would make Moses jealous. Jiaqi plops her arms around a shampoo commercial worthy long haired girl in the bar. The girl has her back against Yu Yan so she couldn’t see her face, but you know those girls that you don’t have to see their face to know they’re attractive? Yu Yan has a huge feeling she’s one of those, and with the way Jiaqi is draped herself all over her, then Yu Yan must be right.
 
“So, that’s her girlfriend, huh?”
 
“Oh, looks like it but no.”
 
Yu Yan turns again to the bar, Jiaqi who seems to have a habit of sitting on people’s laps is doing it with this Wuzhe girl too. And if that’s not dating, Yu Yan really needs to up to brush up on her definition of it.
 
“So, we all went to the same high school and Jiaqi even then is this gigantic flirt. They both like each other but Wu Zhe didn’t want to commit because she thinks that she’s just going to be one of Jiaqi’s conquest. Jiaqi on the other hand have dated every hot girl in high school and university and even after, but she doesn’t ever commit to anyone cause she’s just waiting for Wu Zhehan.”
 
“Aiya,” Yu yan leans back and tsk tsk tsk. “That’s like something out of a drama.”
 
“Tell me about it. All of us are like just confess already.”
 
Those words felt like arrows straight shot through Yu Yan’s heart.
“So, ummm… ahhh… how about-“ But before Yu Yan had the guts to asks about Dai Meng’s own love life. Dai Meng’s phone beep, she answers with a playful snort before looking over to the bar area. Yu Yan turns around and yup she was right, this girl is incredibly attractive.
 
“It’s Wuzhe, she said she got Jiaqi for tonight. So, ummm you want to go somewhere?”
 
Yu Yan blinks curiously before she shrugs, “Ahhh Sure.”
 
They stood up, wave their goodbyes to Jiaqi and her not girlfriend (that acts like a girlfriend) who both have teasing looks before weaving through the crowd. Yu Yan has not figured out that there is more to the text that got Dai Meng trying to resist an urge to blush.
 
Wuzhe
I got Jiaqi, now go get your girl. hehe
 
*
 
“So, you don’t drink and you only eat vegetables?” Dai Meng sounded more amused than mocking her. She looks at Yu Yan like she’s an anomaly. The most fascinating thing in the world and all Yu Yan could do is look down on the grill and pretend that her sole focus is on grilling the meat.
 
“I eat meat too,” Yu Yan defends herself, with a flip of a beef. “I just prefer vegetables that’s all.”
 
“That’s good, you don’t cave in to peer pressure.”
 
“Yeah, ummm… here you go,” Yu Yan places a meat on Dai Meng’s bowl. “A thank you for coming to my show.”
 
“Well, I wouldn’t have known you sing if Keni hadn’t invited me.”
 
“Well, I don’t see why? I mean you’re kinda my teacher.”
“Kinda?” Dai Meng flashed that annoying y half smirk again. “I am your teacher.”
 
“Substitute.”
 
“For the entire semester, this substitute is responsible for your 4.0.”
 
“Oh, you’re finally giving it to me?”
 
“We will see on your final paper.”
 
Yu Yan gives out a smile that instantly got Dai Meng laughing. Her reaction completely confused Yu Yan “Wait… why?”
 
“No. it’s cute,” Dai Meng caught what she had said, “I mean, your smile reminds me of this emoji.”
 
“I should take that as a compliment.”
 
“You should,” They shared a smile once again and Yu Yan thought that she could get use to this. “It’s really amazing seeing you up there. It’s like a different kind of you. You seem so free and just having fun.”
 
“What are you talking about? I have fun in class.”
 
Dai Meng rolls her eyes, giving her a sharp nudge in the rib, “Liar.”
 
Yu Yan smiles, she could feel a warmth sprouting from her cheeks. Maybe, it’s the weather, maybe she’s slowly getting sick or … maybe she’s blushing.
 
And it must be the weather too that is making her slip up on things, like when she told Dai Meng,
 
“It made a difference, you know?”
 
“What is?”
 
“Ummm… seeing you there.”
 
Her usual confident teacher lowers her gaze, trying to hide her smile, “I wouldn’t have missed it. I’m glad Keni invited me, even if you didn’t.”
 
“Yeah, I think for once she did something right.” Yu Yan her lips, a sad attempt on trying to hide her nerves. “I heard you got your papers.”
 
“Oh, I actually just finished my presentation today. All I basically need now is just to walk on that stage so my parents can take pictures of their doctor.”
 
“Ahhh. Now you won’t be busy anymore.”
 
“Yeah, just final grading stuff and that’s about it. I’m done.”
 
“You can ummm… you know,”
 
“I don’t. What?”
 
Dai Meng turns back to her, the words lodging in Yu Yan’s throat refusing to come out.
 
“You know ummm… hang out with Sun Rui and Jiaqi and maybe ahhh… you know, go out.”
 
“Yeah, they have been telling me to go out on a date.”
 
“Oh. Are you?”
Yu Yan’s eyes widened in surprise before she catches the sly smirk gracing Dai Meng’s lips.
 
“I’m just waiting for someone to graduate and then I’ll ask her out. But for now, I want that someone to do great on all her tests.”
 
That sly smirk melting into a sweet, gentle one.
 
“A 4.0?”
 
She doesn’t know how Dai Meng does this. She’s going to be a college graduate for God’s sake, heading out to the real world of adulthood. Yet here she is, succumbing to that cheesy yet surprising feeling of butterflies flitting around inside her stomach.
 
But what’s worse is Yu Yan is still willing to surrender to it, and this time she has no problems doing that.
 
“Of course, because that’s what she’s capable of.” Dai Meng smiles. “And more…”
 
*
 
Finals week can both cause pleasure and pain for professors. The goal of being out of there are in their minds but before that, they have to conquer a mountain of tests and grading. Dai Meng is up to her wits end, she was giving out Yu Yan’s class final test, yet her focus was checking the stack of freshmen papers she had with her.
 
She was focus but there’s a real pretty girl that is just proving to be a distraction. She looks up every so often, smiling as she sees those brows furrowed in concentration.
 
*
Dai Meng saves Yu Yan’s test for last, the professor smiles proudly as she goes through her paper. Gone was the regimented, too technical scowling student and now here she is, with a paper with a more personal touch.
 
As she flips Yu Yan’s test paper, she was surprised to see a scribble that was enough to turn this exhausting day to one of her best,
 
Dai Meng Laoshi,
 
“I finished my test, can I get my kiss now?”
 
*
 
Dai Meng steps out of the faculty room, eyes roving around the now empty hallway before she sees who she is looking for sitting by the stairs. A smile never leaving her lips as she approaches her, finding the spot next to that pretty girl she’s been falling for.
 
“So, laoshi…” Yu Yan slowly turns to her, her pretty smile just captivating Dai Meng before she ask “did I get my 4.0?”
 
“I knew it.” Dai Meng match her playful smile with her own. “You did it for the grade.”
 
“Nope. For this.”
 
Yu Yan leans closer, her lips hovering an inch closer to those full lips that she’s been dreaming about.
 
“Should I?”
 
“You should.”
 
*
 
If they thought one kiss was enough to satisfy months of suppressed feelings, they were both dead wrong. Yu Yan didn’t know how something can both be slow yet urgent at the same time. Shivers racing through their spines as their tongues battle in a push and pull rhythm. As much as she wants to devour those full lips that she’s been longing to taste, Yu Yan wanted to take it slow, she wanted this feeling to linger longer, to drive her drunk or until their lungs gave out. Dai Meng tasted like wine, sweet yet intoxicating, and as they melt deeper, Yu Yan once again discover that when it comes to Dai Meng, she’s willing to surrender.
 
*
 
“How does it feel to be dating a doctor?”
 
“Well, my mom always wanted me to date a doctor.” Yu Yan smooths down her skirt, feeling a bit unsure of her black dress. She had survived her college life in jeans and hoodies, that being in a dress was almost an anomaly to her. But this was a special day.
 
“She’ll be very surprise when she finds out that Dai Meng can’t get her discounts in the pharmacy.” Sun Rui adds with a scoff.
 
“I do want to add Yu Yan, you’re looking really fine.” Jiaqi gives her a nod in approval. Yu Yan have to admit that she took more time preparing for Dai Meng’s graduation than her own last week. The dress, the make up, the hair, and judging by Dai Meng’s constant glance back at their direction, along with everyone in that stadium, it’s easy to tell that Yu Yan captivated them all.
 
“Just have to do a better job with your make up though.”
 
“What?”
 
Sun Rui and Keni snickers as Jiaqi points to an ostentatious bite on Yu Yan’s shoulder.
 
They look back on stage just in time for Dai Meng’s name and an instant chorus of fangirls screams, startling Yu Yan.
 
“Looks like you got competition there.”
 
Dai Meng look so stunning in her graduation gown walking in to get her diploma, suma laude nothing less.
 
“They don’t know who they’re messing with,” Yu Yan cups her hand around , before screaming. “WOW DAI MENG!”
 
Dai Meng almost tripped from the loud voice, but she smiles, knowing perfectly who it is.
 
*
 
“Hey.”
 
Dai Meng tilts her head to side, and Yu Yan immediately gazes away as she sees that approving look that lingers at every inch of her. A gaze that says you’re too beautiful.
 
Dai Meng’s parents turn around, with curious expressions on their faces on who this gorgeous girl is that is making their doctor smile.
 
“Come here.” Dai Meng wraps their hands together, tugging her closer to her. “Mom, Dad. This is Yu Yan, my beautiful girlfriend.”
 
Her parents nod and Yu Yan who is rarely intimidated felt herself being suffocated from the weight of their stare.
 
“She is beautiful…” But being beautiful isn’t enough for Dai Meng’s parents it seems like.
 
Dai Meng rolls her eyes, “I know, she graduated with a business major last week.”
 
“Okay.” Her parents doesn’t look amazed by that.
 
“Summa laude.” Dai Meng adds.
 
Dai Meng’s parents look like they won the lottery as they open their arms out to her.
 
“YU Yan! Darling!” Dai Meng’s mom yells out.
 
Yu Yan’s eyes grow wide as Dai Meng’s parents welcome her into their embrace.
 
“Look at you, beautiful and smart. Well, you must be amazing cause we know how picky our Mengmeng is.”
 
“Mom, don’t call me that please.”
 
“She’s ummm… pretty amazing too.” Yu Yan mumbles shyly, Dai Meng surprise at this side nervous of her that is making her cute as heck.
 
“She has her moments.” Her dad adds. “But most of the time she’s just hardheaded.”
 
“Okay, okay. That’s enough you two.” Dai Meng felt the need to step in.
 
“Oh, there’s Mrs. Li, let’s go tell her how our Mengmeng is a summa and her child just barely graduated.”
 
Dai Meng rolls her eyes at her parent’s odd way of praising her.
 
“Make sure you come to dinner tonight, Yu Yan.”
 
“Ummm I will. Thank you.”
 
“Meng, give me your medal and certificate so I could show her what it looks like from up close.”
 
“Okay mom,” Dai Meng lowers her head as her mom tries to take her medal off. Before her parents scurried off to bother a clearly annoyed Mrs. Li.
 
“Girlfriend huh?”
 
“After what we did last night, I better be your girlfriend.”
 
“Shut up. You’re too cocky.” Yu Yan warned but as the memories from last night flooded, an unexpected blush was sure to appear.
 
She asked Dai Meng what gift she wanted. Knowing how her parents have dinner plans with her graduation night, Dai Meng told her that she wanted her gift from Yu Yan the night before graduation. A hotel room just for the two of them.
 
That’s all that people need to know because Yu Yan don’t think she could say or even think about that night without blushing furiously.
 
“Hmmm?”
 
Yu Yan returns to reality when she felt warm lips pressed lightly on her cheek,
 
“What’s that for?”
 
Dai Meng gives her a heart fluttering smile, “You’re so beautiful, that’s all.” It was cheesy yet Yu Yan couldn’t deny how it made her heart go crazy, but then Dai Meng leans even closer, whispering words only meant for her to hear.
 
“And you were ing unbelievable last night.”
 
*
 
To say this is how it ends in their own modern version of happily ever after would be a lie.
 
While Dai Meng worked the Monday after the weekend she graduated, Yu Yan despite the promise of her high honors, didn’t have immediate jobs. And for someone like Yu Yan who thrives in her busyness, all the free time was about to drive her insane.
 
But how she kept her thoughts steady, she would have to thank Dai Meng for it. Yu Yan grew up as an only child and with workaholic parents, she learned to handle whatever she goes through by herself. It was something she carried all the way to adulthood, yet when Dai Meng came into her life, she showed Yu Yan that it was okay to lean on someone.
 
Yu Yan was apprehensive of course, she can’t stand the thought of having to rely on someone when she thought she did a bang up job taking care of herself. Dai Meng was a workaholic, but she made sure they talk even if it’s just five minutes out of her day or night.
 
Yu Yan groans and tells her she doesn’t have to do that, not wanting to admit that she doesn’t want to be an inconvenience and a chore for Dai Meng.
 
But Dai Meng says she does it for her, that hearing Yu Yan’s voice keeps her sane. It was enough for Yu Yan to understand that if you’re willing to make something work, you will make it work.
 
And if Dai Meng tries to stay over during her day off so they could bingewatch Bad guys or go on an escape room with Keni, Sun Rui and Jiaqi, then Yu Yan would let Dai Meng know how much she appreciates her.
 
And there’s a lot of things that Yu Yan is thankful for with Dai Meng.
 
First, she’s thankful that Dai Meng doesn’t bull with her. It’s a far cry from all her past girlfriends, though they are cute as and just adorable to look at, they tend to say stuff to appease her.
 
But not Dai Meng…
 
At first, it infuriates her to her core that she can’t glare her way out of a situation. Like when Dai Meng went through her CV with enough red ink that it looked like someone murdered it, it takes Yu Yan’s whole composure not to throw a massive fit. Instead she understands that Dai Meng is there to constantly help her be better. She help her in her CV, her job interview and Dai Meng was waiting with a bouquet of roses when she finally get the job.
 
*
 
Second, she’s thankful, so thankful of her girlfriend’s talented tongue and fingers.
 
Yu Yan isn’t sure whether it’s because they’re still in their honeymoon stage or her girlfriend just has an insatiable ual appetite, but whatever reason, Yu Yan is so damn thankful for it.
 
“Are you two ing again?” Sun Rui screams from behind the bathroom door as they’re both coming down from the high of their afterglow. “I swear to God, I just finished bleaching this whole damn place and you’re spreading germs everywhere.”
 
*
 
Third, she’s thankful that Dai Meng spoils her. It was something she never wants to admit, the newness of it boggles her. But when Dai Meng whispers baobei whether they’re in public or in their bedroom, in that soft and flirty tone of hers, it’s enough to get her weak in the knees.
 
*
 
“Baobei, you’re not ready yet?”
 
Yu Yan spat out her toothpaste with a purpose, and her face twisting in a threatening scowl at her girlfriend standing by the bathroom doorway. Dai Meng smiles and just finds her utterly adorable.
 
After constant complains from Sun Rui about the state of their shared apartment, Dai Meng and Yu Yan took a huge step of finally moving in together. A one bedroom apartment just perfect for them. They brush it off as convenience, or trying to save money but the truth was, nothing felt better than waking up next to each other.
 
“You better not call me that.”
 
Dai Meng stretches out her arm to motion the younger girl, but Yu Yan just playfully slap it away.
 
“Promise me? I said promise me.” She threatens her girlfriend who just infuriated her more when she sees Dai Meng’s mischievous smirk.
 
“Hmmm… I’ll think about it.”
 
“I’m not kidding, you can find yourself one of your cute fangirls who would want that.”
 
“Sure, my baby girl.”
 
Yu Yan rolls her eyes yet is letting her girl lightly push her up the bathroom sink, “It’s like you haven’t heard a word I said.”
 
“I did.” Dai Meng steps a little bit closer, her arms slowly wrapping around her girl’s slim waist. “What should I call you then?”
 
“Yu Yan is okay.”
 
“Nope. My queen?”
 
“Cheesy.”
 
Dai Meng moves and press a kiss on her neck. “My princess?”
“Stop.”
 
“Darling?”
 
“You never listen.” Yu Yan frowns while raising her arms up, as Dai Meng tugs on her shirt, pulling it over her head. She leans in and presses a kiss on her lips,
 
“How about this, I can call you any name I want, you can call me any name you want?”
 
“Okay, ayi?”
 
“Shut up.” Her girlfriend rolls her eyes.
 
“Jiejie.” Yu Yan smiles, playing along now.
 
“You’re really going to do this.”
 
“Hell yeah, or how about…” Yu Yan lips curve into that flirty smirk, eyes hooded with that look that even made Dai Meng gulps because she knows exactly what it means. Yu Yan leans close, nibble on Dai Meng’s ear before whispering the name her lover both love and loath at the same time.
 
And Yu Yan knows it, she knows it so well.
 
But her girlfriend is not going to let Yu Yan go unscathed. Their entire room is filled with booming laughter as Dai Meng lifts her off the sink and started to playfully give her obnoxious loud kisses that Yu Yan is more than willing to comply.
 
Because it’s Dai Meng after all. And by now when it comes to her, Yu Yan had wised up and knew one thing perfectly, that with her, it’s much easier to just surrender.