final.

friend next door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           “Baekhyun, our new border just arrived. Can you help them with their stuff?” Aunt Hyori's voice rang from downstairs.

            “Coming!” he replied. But he still didn't move from his seat. His fingers were busy on the console, trying to win the race.

            “Baekhyun! Get down here this instant. Or I'll confiscate that damn console of yours.”

            “Just a little more... Yes!!! Coming!” he made a small victory dance before dropping the console for good.

          The new school year was starting next week. And like all the other kids who were starting their freshman year in university, Baekhyun looked forward to the first day all summer. Reaching the bottom of the stairs, he saw his Aunt and the new border enter the kitchen. It was a she.

            Weird. He thought to himself. Baekhyun was wearing his favorite coral cotton shirt and a pair of black shorts. The girl, however, was dressed in a long sleeved shirt and long pants. Although her hair was tied in a loose ponytail, Baekhyun felt more uncomfortable with her choice of clothing.

            It was still summer after all. It would still be a while before the winds turned colder.

            In the middle of the living room, two luggage bags and a small box caught his eye. These must be her things. He took the two bags first and lugged them upstairs to where she was assigned.

            Baekhyun's aunt, Aunt Hyori, owned a mansion. Well, it wasn't exactly a mansion, but it was big enough to be one. The walls and interior were also exquisite for it to be called just a big house. It had six extra bedrooms. Five of it were located on the second floor, while the other two were located downstairs between the living room and the kitchen. It also had a nice garden outside with a small vegetable patch next to the rows of green plants she tended.

            Aunt Hyori inherited it when her parents passed away. And having no husband or children of her own, a big house was too lonely for her. Baekhyun's mom happened to be her best friend. When she found out that Baekhyun wanted to enter the university on the other side of the block, she offered to let him stay until he graduated.

            And that was when she thought of turning it into a house share for students and young people who were just beginning their careers in the city.

            Kim Taeyeon. He read the name on the bag tags. He was about to grab the remaining box to put upstairs, when Aunt Hyori called from the kitchen.

            “Baekhyun, come here quick. And introduce yourself to our new border.”

            When he reached the kitchen, Aunt Hyori was busy taking something out of the refrigerator. So his eyes turned to the girl who sat at the dining table. Her back was straight and her shoulders square. A maroon backpack rested on her lap with her hands folded neatly on top of it. Her eyes were carefully examining the kitchen. Aside from gardening, Aunt Hyori’s other hobbies include cooking and baking. Some of her tools were displayed in the glass cupboards. She seemed to be admiring it.

            “Hi. I’m Baekhyun. How are you?” Baekhyun greeted with a huge smile on his face. It was normal to extend an arm for a handshake, but she simply looked at it. He saw her hand twitch, but it did not reach out to shake his.

            “Nice to meet you. I’m Taeyeon.” She smiled. But their eyes didn’t meet. He couldn’t tell where she was looking. On my nose? On my forehead?

            Okay? No handshakes then. Saving himself from embarrassment, he simply clapped his hand forcing a little enthusiasm to cover the small dejection.

            Aunt Hyori took out the peanut butter and the strawberry jam from the fridge. She set it on the table where Taeyeon could easily get them.

            “So uh, you’re from Jeonju?” he started. She seemed to be surprised so he added, “I saw it on your bag tag.”

            Baekhyun only received a nod. Aunt Hyori placed a plate and a butter knife in front of her and gestured for her to eat. “You must be hungry from the trip. Do you want some juice?”

            “Yes, please. That would be nice.”

            He couldn’t help but raise his brow. Taeyeon looked at Aunt Hyori in the eye and even smiled at her. “It’s Taeyeon’s first time in the city. I’m glad she didn’t get lost on the way here.”

            “My parents actually came with me. But they just stayed behind at the bus terminal.” Aunt Hyori poured her a glass of orange juice before excusing herself out of the kitchen.

            “What year are you in? I’m a first year and I’ll be starting next week in Hanyang University.” Baekhyun asked. He had to play the host along with Aunt Hyori.

            She munched on her food before replying. “I’m a first year and I’m going to Hanyang too.”

            Aunt Hyori’s face brightened and she clasped her hands in front of her. “Oh, that’s wonderful! I’m sure you’ll attend at least one class together.”

            In the back of Baekhyun’s mind, he wasn’t sure if he wanted that.

            “Let me just check your room once more in case I missed anything. I’ll be right back.” The owner of the house excused herself.

            Baekhyun thought she was shy. But when Aunt Hyori spoke to her, she gave longer responses and made eye contact with her. Not that Baekhyun really cared. Perhaps, he had offended her? That can’t be. We just met today. Or have I really?

            He didn’t want to care and yet it bothered him this much.

            Aunt Hyori’s head popped back in the kitchen, calling his name. He stood up and excused himself. Taeyeon remained in her seat and gave a silent acknowledgment with a nod of her head. But her eyes were trained on her sandwich.

            “Baekhyun, did you finish moving her stuff upstairs?” his aunt asked.

            “Her bags are there but I still need to carry that box over there.” He grunted as he carried the box in his hands. It didn’t look heavy it lay still on the floor.

            Aunt Hyori led the way upstairs. His room happened to be right across hers. The doors to their rooms facing each other. “She looks really nice, doesn’t she? I’m so glad there’s another female in this household.”

            Before Taeyeon arrived, there were three of them living in that house. Aunt Hyori, Baekhyun, and his best friend, Sehun. He moved in two weeks after Baekhyun settled in. It took him a while to decide which university he wanted to attend. In the end, he chose where Baekhyun wanted to go. They were inseparable since the first day of middle school.

            Sehun was still sound asleep in his room. He usually woke up at noon.

            “But Aunt Hyori, don’t you think she’s weird? She doesn’t look at me in the eye and didn’t even bother to shake my hand when I greeted her.” He muttered, his mouth turning to one side. He usually does that when he got upset.

            “Oh, I’m sure she’s just very shy.” He saw Aunt Hyori hesitate as they climb up the stairs. “Actually, her mom was the one who called several times this week. She’s really worried about her you know. She was homeschooled until high school. And she went to an all-girl school. The girls there were a bit harsh on her. So she doesn’t have many friends. Poor thing.”

            Not knowing what to say, Baekhyun stayed quiet. When they reached her room, he set the box at the foot of her bed. All the rooms were the same. They each have a small bathroom, a cabinet, a bookshelf, a study table and a chair. Except for Baekhyun’s. His room already had a mini fridge and a huge computer for his gaming needs.

            “Be nice to her, okay? I’m sure she’ll warm up to you soon enough. And when she does, you can be her friend. Right?”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter