Hitting the Court

It's Squash Time!

"It's easy unnie. Don't worry," Sooyoung said to her workmate slash bestfriend.

 

"So it's basically like playing tennis, but indoor?" Joohyun said as the two workmates munched their lunch inside her office room.

 

"Yeah... You can say so," Sooyoung answered. "It's good for you unnie. If you play it competitively, you just have to hit the ball on the wall in the correct position so the opponent couldn't reply the ball and you got a point. But if it's only for exercise, you only have to hit the ball on the wall and that's it. Not crowded, air-conditioned, perfect after work. If you're interested, I'll accompany you."

 

"Whoa. We can also play it by ourselves? Interesting!" Joohyun said. "How about tomorrow evening?"

 

"Thursday? " Sooyoung thought. "Sounds great! But what about Yerim? Isn't she gonna worried if her mommy doesn't come early?

 

Joohyun facepalmed herself. "You're right. But I can ask Seulgi to accompany Yerim though. I think she doesn't have any urgent ongoing projects."

 

"You can actually ask Yerim to join us, can't you?"

 

"Nah. I wanna have fun hitting the balls. And judging by your words, the sport seems intense. I just want to curse freely," Joohyun said. "As it's still two weeks before the divorce got finalized."

 

"Whoa, that quick?" Sooyoung retorted. "I'm sorry I asked this but you can actually get divorced in less than a year?"

 

"We want to get divorced amicably, Sooyoung." Joohyun said as she chew the beef. "We know we cannot continue this anymore but we definitely want to avoid the trial. Divorce by trial doesn't benefit anyone, especially Yerim. So, we decided to take this way and live our life in a whole new world again."

 

"How can you tell this all without being emotional, unnie?"

 

Joohyun laughed. "Do you forget all the breakdowns I had after I found him cheating on me? The one when I should've come to the client's office for presentation but I cried with you here?"

 

Sooyoung bited her lip. "Yeah. I remember that one. You looked so helpless."

 

"How couldn't I?" Joohyun said. "He's been sleeping with a coworker for almost a year. Imagine if they didn't play safe and the disease contracted to mine. Ew..."

 

Sooyoung knew very well how Joohyun hated infidelities, especially with someone she's vowed to have a life together. But judging from Joohyun's tone and words, it seemed like she had quite through it all. Or perhaps she just didn't want to think more about it.

 

Sooyoung let out a smile. "Indeed, it was nasty. But you've checked yourself, right?"

 

"Of course!" Joohyun exclaimed. "I want to keep myself free from the infectious disease."

 

At least Joohyun unnie seems more than ready to move on, Sooyoung thought. And that's good enough.

 

Aside from Seulgi, Joohyun's bestfriend since highschool, Sooyoung's the one who had been with Joohyun when she was depressed after she found out that she has been cheated on.

 

From the very first start, Joohyun wasn't actually that head over heels with her husband. She liked him when her parents introduced him to her, but eventually they got married just for the sake of getting married, having a kid, and pleasing both families.

 

She was naive back then. She thought it was something that the women in her age had to do, because her old friends and acquaintances do it. In short, she thought it was the time for every women in her age.

 

The marriage also came as banal—they rarely made love and her husband was a vanilla, nothing too interesting with the lovemaking session—until Yerim came to their life. For Joohyun, Yerim's birth was the best thing in her marriage. But at the same time, Yerim's birth also marked the start of her marriage's downhill. They fought even more. She was being accused of cheating because at one period, she came home late often. She really hated the accusation.

 

The reason she came home late was she needed to work even harder and more time consuming, as her husband couldn't help provide the family anymore after he lost his job. Worse, her husband was just being a dad-at-home without having any intention of looking for even any remote jobs. That also added the stress to Joohyun as they got bills to pay.

 

However, the worst thing for Joohyun was when she found out her husband was having with his ex co-worker on their bed. It was late afternoon and Joohyun wanted to surprise the family as she could come home early. Turned out Yerim was always being sent to daycare after Joohyun went to the office, and afterwards her husband had with another woman.

 

Joohyun got better now especially after they had finally let their ego gone and they reached an agreement for a full parental responsibility for Joohyun. Her husband was terribly sorry and admitted he couldn't be a good parent to Yerim so he willingly gave full custody to her. Seeing that her husband still had a good conscience, she allowed him to meet Yerim for once in a month. After all, Yerim still needed to meet her father.

 

Things might seem well for Joohyun. But still, she needed something to ignite the leap of change in her life. Great things always start with one small step, no? So when Sooyoung recommended her to play squash, she took it as that one small step. Besides, physical activities will bring more good than harm, at least to her health. It's win-win situation for Joohyun.

 


 

Joohyun and Sooyoung reached the indoor court after they paid the rental fee for the court, the rackets, and the balls. Joohyun joined Sooyoung's car as she was afraid of being too tired to drive after practice. Yerim was already on safe hands with Seulgi, so Joohyun could play as long as she wanted to.

 

There were four courts, they got court number three. When they got inside, the court was quite empty. Only two courts that got the lamps lightened up. Court three and court four were located next to each other, so they could see the one who played on court four.

 

The sound of the ball hitting the wall played by the player on court four was quite strong. The two workmates watched the session intently. It was a woman with great reflex, all white outfit, with a small bun indicated a short hair.

 

The two women watched until the woman on court four finally realized that she was being watched. She turned back and walked toward the two women outside the court. She looked drenched in sweat but still instilled a strong energy. The two women were caught in surprise as the woman on court four reached them.

 

"Hi there," said the woman on court four. She had an athletic body and had strong and toned muscles both on her upper and lower body. Although speaking of height, Sooyoung was taller than her and Joohyun was about the same height as her. She took a bottle of mineral water and a sports towel. "First time?" 

 

"Yeah... We're interested to try squash as it seems fun," Sooyoung answered. "Sorry if we just stopped and watched you play. We didn't mean to disturb you, but you were really great. Are you an athlete? Because you definitely look like a pro."

 

"Why thanks. I'll definitely take that as a compliment. I just play squash for fun. Whenever I hit the ball and run toward it, I feel like being in a meditative state. It helps me feel calm."

 

"Wow... That beneficial?" Sooyoung responded. "We should really try it as soon as possible. We mostly hit the balls on tennis courts so it's gonna be very interesting to try new similar thing. Right unnie?"

 

Joohyun nodded. She couldn't wait to hit the court.

 

"You played tennis? That would definitely help you playing squash since the technique's basically the same. Oh and we haven't known each other. I'm Seungwan. Nice to meet you two," said the woman on court four. "And you are?"

 

"I'm Sooyoung and this is Joohyun unnie," Sooyoung answered. "Nice to meet you too, Seungwan."

 

They wanted to shake their hands but Seungwan didn't want to because her hand was very sweaty. "So... Let's play now Sooyoung? Joohyun? Who first?"

 

"Joohyun unnie first!" Sooyoung smirked as she pushed Joohyun toward Seungwan.

 

"Eck Sooyoung don't push me!" Joohyun rolled her eyes.

 

"She's a bit shy but she's very enthusiastic with the sport. And she plays tennis well too. I can play alone on my court. You two can have a battle on Seungwan's court."

 

Seungwan just laughed seeing the two bestfriends babbled, "Very well Joohyun. Let's do some warm up with the balls, shall we?"

 

Joohyun nodded and took her rented racket and ball. Inside the court, Seungwan hit the ball once again to show Joohyun the example.

 

"Look..." Seungwan said as she hit the ball. "It's very much like tennis don't you think?"

 

"I see..." Joohyun then tried to hit it too. She could hit and move naturally like she's been playing squash for months.

 

"Whoa..." Seungwan was amazed. "Is it really the first time you play squash?"

 

"It is..." Joohyun smiled as she hit the ball. She did the final power shot to then proceed talking with Seungwan. "How long have you been playing squash?"

 

"Not long actually. Only started two years ago."

 

"Whoa but you played indeed like a pro, Seungwan."

 

"Thanks," Seungwan smiled. "Like you, I started from playing tennis since I was in elementary school. But as I get older, playing squash suits me the best. The reason for that might be quite personal though."

 

"Why is that if I may know?"

 

"I want to tell you but it's gonna be quite long," Seungwan said. "Let's play first, don't waste the rental hour."

 

"You've got a point," Joohyun smiled. "Okay, after the game."

 

"Good," Seungwan said as they both got into the ready position. Seungwan told Joohyun some of the basic rules of the game. "Seungwan to serve, love all."

 

The game was intense. At first Seungwan was leading 3-0, but Joohyun can make it 4-3 with a nice fake shot. It's now Joohyun's turn to serve.

 

"Quite a competitive type, aren't you?" Seungwan smirked as she wiped her sweat. 

 

"You haven't seen nothing yet," Joohyun smiled but her eyes focused on bouncing the ball before she served.

 

The set ended with 11-9 to Joohyun. 

 

"Great game, Joohyun." Seungwan said as she rested on her knees. "Phew..."

 

"No... I'm in a great advantage because you're already tired from the start. If you started fresh as me you would definitely beat me," Joohyun said. "Great game, Seungwan."

 

"WHOA great game you two!" Sooyoung clapped her hands.

 

"You watched the whole game? And not playing at all?" Joohyun said as she approached her water bottle.

 

"Of course I have, unnie!" Sooyoung said. "But I got too bored playing it alone so I watched your game."

 

"Sorry for taking your playmate, Sooyoung." Seungwan said.

 

"That's okay, take her all you want." Sooyoung smirked.

 

Joohyun pinched Sooyoung's hand, "Just what do you mean by that?"

 

"Ouch unnie!!!" Sooyoung pouted.

 

Seungwan laughed at the two women's act. "You girls are really funny. Are you siblings?"

 

"Lots of people tell us that," Sooyoung answered. "But no. We're friends at work but at different divisions."

 

"Yeah, me in sales and Sooyoung in human resources," added Joohyun.

 

"Wait..." Seungwan said. "You're in charge for sales, Joohyun?"

 

"Yes. She's actually our head of sales," Sooyoung smirked.

 

"No wonder. That kinda explains why you were so competitive in the game," Seungwan said.

 

"Pardon me?" Joohyun raised her eyebrow.

 

"You're in sales!" Seungwan laughed. "And you're even the head division. Meaning you'll always be driven by target and any 100 ways to reach it. Am I wrong?"

 

Sooyoung laughed, "Not at all. Great guess. Don't forget 'ambitious'."

 

"Tsk tsk you two..." Joohyun shook her head.

 

"If I were you, I'm gonna take it as a compliment, Joohyun." Seungwan winked.

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes and let out a condescending smile. Although it was a bit annoying, she kinda liked the playful nature of Seungwan.

 

"How many hours did you girls book the court?" Seungwan asked.

 

"Only 1 hour," Sooyoung answered. "I have to go home early to meet my deadline."

 

"I see..." Seungwan asked. "You too, Joohyun?"

 

"No, I'm quite free tonight." Joohyun almost facepalmed herself because her answer was somehow a code to Seungwan which actually meant, I don't have to go home early so if you want to go somewhere with me after this, I won't mind.

 

"Wanna join me for an after game dinner?" Seungwan asked. "The place's not too far from here. I bring my own car."

 

"Well... Let me think first," Joohyun hesitated. As much as she wanted to go, the thought of Yerim came to her mind.

 

"Oh come on, unnie. Are you worried about Yerim? Isn't she with Seulgi? Don't worry too much," persuaded Sooyoung.

 

"You have a point," Joohyun said. "It's always nice when you finally use your brain."

 

"Unnie I hate you!" Sooyoung pouted and hit her unnie lightly. Joohyun just laughed at her dongsaeng's remark.

 

"So..." Seungwan asked Joohyun. "Can I take that as a yes?"

 

"Sure," Joohyun smiled.

 

"Perfect!" Seungwan responded.

 


 

Joohyun didn't know herself why she would accept to eat a dinner with someone she barely knew. Maybe because she needed some air before coming back to work and her life? Or maybe because she found Seungwan as a nice person and trustworthy? She didn't know herself. She didn't want to think much.

 

The place that they were going was a ramen café. And it was not far. It didn't even take 10 minutes ride, Seungwan was right.

 

"I always go here whenever I finish practicing for squash," Seungwan said. "The soup was energizing, the ramen was chewy. Delicious."

 

Joohyun looked at the menu, "I think I'm gonna order the same as yours. They all look so delicious. I'm confused."

 

"Very well then," Seungwan said as she gestured the waiter to come to the table and order two beef ramen and two ocha. Seungwan tapped her fingers after she ordered. They both smiled at each other without talking until Seungwan decided to break the silence, "So Joohyun... Where do you work?"

 

"Me? I'm working in a securities company," Joohyun answered. "You?"

 

"Good for you," Seungwan said. "I'm currently looking for a new endeavour. I'm trying out my luck in the singing / voice-acting industry."

 

"For real? That's interesting. So other than being an aspiring athlete, you're also an aspiring artist then?"

 

Seungwan laughed, "Hope so. After my plan on selling my company worked—"

 

"You what?" Joohyun cross-examined Seungwan's sentence. "You sold your own company?"

 

"I did, yeah. I was lucky," Seungwan remarked. "I built a beverage company after I graduated 6 years ago and last year we could sell the company. It was quite sad to part with your baby, but I was glad nonetheless it finally got a great exit. And after selling the company, I have my savings for my other postponed dream."

 

"It's really amazing, Seungwan." Joohyun praised. "I'm really happy to hear about that. Good luck for the new endeavour."

 

"Thanks Joohyun, it really means a lot." Seungwan smiled. "Anyway... is Yerim your kid? Or perhaps a younger sister? You look very worried when Sooyoung mentioned the name."

 

"She's my only daughter."

 

"That's why you looked so worried." Seungwan responded and nodded.  And Seulgi is...?"

 

"She's my bestfriend. Yerim's godmother as well."

 

"I see," Seungwan reckoned. "Sorry if I asked too much. I just don't want to let my curiosity creeps me on my bed just because I'm curious about who Yerim and Seulgi is."

 

Joohyun grinned, "You're quite the blunt type, aren't you?"

 

"You're allowed to say that—"

 

"And I believe you also wonder why Yerim is with Seulgi and not with her father, don't you?" Joohyun giggled, she loved teasing this blunt and amusing woman in front of her.

 

"I never say that I didn't—"

 

"I'm currently in the divorce process. That's the reason why," Joohyun said. She didn't know why she told the newly met acquaintance here, but she definitely thought it was not harmful at all.

 

Seungwan blinked her eyes, "Sorry to hear about that, Joohyun. Gosh, I shouldn't have asked you personal questions like that."

 

"It's really okay," Joohyun chuckled. "I don't wanna be the ultimate reason if you have a nightmare tonight. Just because you have some unanswered questions about my life."

 

Their order finally came and interrupted their conversation. Seungwan wanted to respond Joohyun, but at the same time wanted to eat first. "After you, Joohyun."

 

"Thanks Seungwan," Joohyun said. She slurped the ramen and the soup. "This is really refreshing. And the beef broth is yum! Very rich in taste."

 

"Glad you like it! This is one of my favourite menu here."

 

"No wonder you're a regular here," said Joohyun after she took another slurp.

 

"You're not entirely wrong," Seungwan laughed as she munched her ramen.

 

"So... Any other questions, Seungwan?" Joohyun teased.

 

Seungwan didn't reciprocate Joohyun's gaze. She just shook her head and focused on her bowl while she ate her ramen. Her face glowed red, "I think I've asked too much today."

 

Joohyun laughed at Seungwan's remark, "You're so funny, you know that?"

 

Seungwan's eyes widened, "And why is that?"

 

"It's just like you showed a confident aura on the court but here you acted like..." Joohyun wanted to admit that somehow Seungwan was asking questions that's usually asked when you're courting on someone.

 

And she felt delighted to have that kind of attention from Seungwan. But no, Joohyun wouldn't say it. Not in the first day of their meeting.

 

"Like what?"

 

"Nothing... I forgot."

 

"Joohyun, don't play with me."

 

"You said you've asked too much today. And I think I've answered too much today. Save it for the next day."

 

"Why nooo!" Seungwan begged and pouted. And Joohyun bursted seeing the childish expression that Seungwan showed.

 


 

"Where do you live?" Seungwan asked as she jolted her SUV.

 

"Not far from here. At this time around, we could only take 45 minutes."

 

"What time is it now?"

 

"9 PM."

 

"Okay..." Seungwan said as she drove the car from the parking space. "At this rate we're gonna arrive at your home maximum at 10 PM."

 

"Quite possibly."

 

Seungwan put on her city-pop CD. The music was very chill, adding to the fact that they both were tired after the game, full after eating the ramen, and sleepy.

 

"Did you enjoy the game?" Seungwan broke the silence.

 

"I did," Joohyun answered. "It was fun. Similar to tennis, but a lot more intense."

 

"I know right?" Seungwan agreed. "Want to play it again sometime?"

 

Joohyun typed on her phone to reply Seulgi's message telling her that Yerim was already asleep. "Sorry, I needed to chat Seulgi. I don't see why not, but I don't have any racket yet."

 

"Are you free tomorrow after work? I can help you choose the suitable one."

 

"I gotta make sure first that I don't have anything to do. How about I contact you tomorrow afternoon? And I think even if I can, I have to bring Yerim."

 

"That's fine with me," Seungwan responded. "Just tell me if you can."

 

"Certainly."

 

The traffic was not bad since it's Thursday evening. Everyone was mostly already back home during that hour as they still had Friday to work with. Just like Joohyun said, the ride could only take 45 minute and here they were at 9.46 PM arrived in front of Joohyun's apartment lobby. 

 

Seungwan stopped the car, "Here we are."

 

"Thank you so much for the ride, the game, and the ramen as well. You made my day, Seungwan."

 

"You made my day too. Thank you, Joohyun." Seungwan said as she gave her phone to Joohyun. "I haven't got your number. You can just type yours here and I'll chat you for tomorrow."

 

"Sure," Joohyun typed her number on Seungwan's phone and gave the phone back.

 

"I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

 

"We'll see about that," said Joohyun, bringing her belongings and opened Seungwan's door.

 

Seungwan opened her window, "Please give Yerim and Seulgi a 'Hi' from me. Would love to meet them too some time."

 

Joohyun smiled, "I will. Drive safe will you? Tell me when you're home."

 

"I will, Joohyun. See you."

 

"See you soon."

 

As Seungwan drove off, Joohyun continued walking to her home. She rang the bell because Seulgi was still at her home. Seulgi's voice could be heard from the inside, "Coming..."

 

Door unlocked and there a sleepy Seulgi stood.

 

"Hey," Joohyun said as she went inside. "Yerim's already asleep?"

 

"She is," Seulgi said. Joohyun walked to her bedroom and found her almost four-year old daughter sleeping sound and safe. She tiptoed to her bed and gave a soft kiss to Yerim's forehead.

 

"Sorry I came home late," Joohyun said. 

 

"That's alright, I expected it though. Been awhile since you went out for fun after work. How was squash?"

 

Joohyun sat on the dining chair and smiled as she heard the word squash. She was indeed having fun, "It was great. You should try it sometimes."

 

"Nah, racket sports are not my thing," Seulgi said as she made tea. "You know how I am whenever I tried hitting the tennis court."

 

"This is different, I swear to you. You don't have to worry of getting the ball out of bounds, because you play it with the walls."

 

"Pardon me? Walls?" Seulgi brought the tea to the dining table and gave one cup to Joohyun. "Drink it, it helps you sleep better."

 

"Thank you, Seul." Joohyun said. "It's hard to explain if you haven't seen the game. But you gotta try squash at least once."

 

Seulgi smiled and sipped the tea, "Okay okay if you insist. Would like to try it."

 

"Good," Joohyun sipped the tea as well. "This is really refreshing Seul, thanks. What did Yerim and you have for dinner?"

 

"Yerim wanted a sunny side up and some bacon so I cooked us that. Have you eaten though?"

 

"I have. Thank you for taking care of Yerim."

 

"It's fine," Seulgi responded, she let out a small yawn. "I always like hanging out with Yerim, she's a good kid."

 

"Thanks to her mother for that," Joohyun teased.

 

Seulgi just rolled her eyes, "Whatever."

 

Joohyun laughed at her bestfriend, "Anyway, it's getting late. You should stay for the night."

 

"Nah, it's okay."

 

"I insist. It's the least I can do after your great help today. Besides, you still have to drive, right? No driving while you're sleepy. And you told me that you're currently not doing any urgent projects, no?"

 

"Fair enough," Seulgi admitted her defeat. "Up to you, Joohyun."

 

"Good," Joohyun said as she finished her tea. Her phone rang. She looked at the caller ID. No name, just numbers. "Who would call me at this time around? Hello?"

 

"Hi Joohyun," said the voice on the other line. Joohyun facepalmed herself because she forgot that she gave her number earlier to Seungwan. "Just wanna say that I've arrived home."

 

"Hi Seungwan. Good to hear. Wait a bit, will you?"

 

"Sure, take your time."

 

Seulgi looked confused, "Who's that?"

 

Joohyun closed the phone speaker and turned to Seulgi, "I gotta take this call. If you want to sleep just sleep, okay?"

 

"Is it about work?"

 

"Uhm... No."

 

Seulgi lifted her eyebrow, "You owe me a story."

 

"It's really nothing, but okay."

 

"Really nothing and you shushed me away," Seulgi mumbled.

 

"What did you just say?"

 

"Nothing. Just mumbling with myself." Seulgi smirked at Joohyun and went to the bedroom where Yerim's been asleep. 

 

Joohyun got back to her phone, "Sorry to make you wait. So your home is not too far to mine, then?"

 

"Indeed," Seungwan responded. "Well, the road was not crowded so I can drive faster."

 

"Gosh Seungwan, please drive safe."

 

"Oops..." Seungwan retorted. "Shouldn't have told you that."

 

"Okay bye—"

 

"Joohyun, noo. Okay, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that."

 

"Good," Joohyun giggled. "Why do you call though? I think you can actually send a chat to inform if you've arrived right?"

 

"Ouch. So you don't like if I call you?"

 

"I didn't say that! It's just... I didn't expect your call."

 

"You didn't like surprise, then?"

 

"Why do you keep on making baseless assumptions?" Joohyun pouted.

 

Seungwan laughed. She couldn't see Joohyun's face but she was sure that Joohyun pouted. "Fine by me. I won't call you again."

 

"I didn't say I don't wanna be called," Joohyun rolled her eyes. "Don't try to play with me."

 

Seungwan giggled, "Can we do video call?"

 

Joohyun panicked, "Pardon me?"

 

"Relax. "I'm wearing my clothes."

 

"It's not that, you . You're really eager to see me again, aren't you?"

 

"I didn't say that. You love making baseless assumptions, don't you?"

 

Joohyun laughed at herself because Seungwan used her words against her, "You win this time. It's not that I don't want to, it's getting late. I have to work in the morning."

 

"Right... I forgot that tomorrow's still Friday."

 

Joohyun chuckled, "It is. Go to sleep Seungwan, I'll inform you ASAP about tomorrow. Goodbye."

 

"Joohyun—"

 

"Bye," Joohyun hang up the call. She couldn't hide a smile and hummed her way toward her bedroom. She didn't know why but she was in a joyful mood.

 

"Who was that?" Seulgi closed her book and put her reading glasses on the bedside table.

 

"Just a friend," Joohyun said as she changed her clothes and still continued humming some melody. She didn't mind to change her clothes in front of Seulgi. After all, she regarded Seulgi as a sister from another blood.

 

"Do I know this friend?" Seulgi lifted her eyebrow.

 

"Not yet. But this friend said 'hi' to you."

 

"This one friend right here already knew my existence?"

 

"Kinda," Joohyun buttoned her pajamas.

 

Seulgi gave her an unbelievable look, "What actually happened on the squash court today? I bet you met your new friend on the court, didn't you?"

 

"I did," Joohyun was now cleaning her make-up. "Why do you ask so much?"

 

"Shushing me away to answer a call from 'a friend', humming around like a child. I think I deserve an explanation."

 

"I'm not doing anything abnormal."

 

"In fact, you are."

 

"I'm not!"

 

"Okay so, who's this new friend?"

 

Joohyun finished doing her last cleansing step and cleaned her make-up table, "This new friend got a name, Seungwan."

 

"Seungwan? I thought I heard a female voice from your phone."

 

"She's a female but yeah, her name sounds ambiguous."

 

"And?"

 

"And what?"

 

"That's it?"

 

Joohyun went to the bed and positioned herself inside the blanket. Yerim was sleeping in the middle of Seulgi and Joohyun. "We played squash together, Sooyoung met her as well. After that, Seungwan and me ate ramen. Then she took me home. Just that. She's building her career on the creative industry after she sold her own company."

 

"She sold her own company?" Seulgi asked as she yawned hard.

 

"She did," Joohyun responded. "That's all."

 

"But looking at your face it seems like you just went out of a date?"

 

Joohyun threw her pillow toward Seulgi, "Just what do you mean by that? We just ate out and that's all."

 

"Yeah, eating out and made you humming and smiling nonstop. This is friend is kinda special, no?" Seulgi smirked.

 

"I really don't understand what you're talking about," Joohyun asserted. "Gimme back my pillow."

 

Seulgi laughed a little as she was afraid of waking Yerim up and threw the pillow back, "Sleep tight lovebird."

 

"Ugh... Watch your tongue, Kang!" As soon as she positioned her pillow back, Joohyun started to close her eyes. She just felt happy that day, that's all. Perhaps I just love squash that much, Joohyun thought to herself.

 

As Joohyun tried to sleep, her thoughts brought her back to what happened during the evening. How she beat Seungwan on her first game. How she ate ramen together. All the memories of today ate her sleep willingness. She wanted to talk again with Seulgi to kill some time and regained her sleepiness. But as Seulgi was already in a deep slumber, she decided to pick her phone and chat Seungwan.

 

You: I can't sleep. I think the game gives me a lot of energy

 

She put her phone on her bedside table and picked her book to continue reading. Whenever it was hard for her to sleep, she always read a finance book. Not because she wanna learn, she just hoped she could get asleep as soon as possible after reading heavy matters. When she started to get sleepy as her eyes were getting heavy. Her phone vibrated. A message from Seungwan.

 

Seungwan: Same. Usually the game will tire me down and I'll sleep like a baby. But today's kinda different. I think I drank some coffee before the game

 

Joohyun thought of something to do with Seungwan, but she hesitated because suddenly her heartbeat raced. However, she wanted to sleep so she gotta try this method.

 

You: You mind if I call you?

 

Seungwan was typing. And stopped. She typed again and stopped again. It made Joohyun wondered what Seungwan was trying to say.

 

Seungwan: Sure

 

Joohyun was a bit perplexed with the short answer. She then pressed the call button and it didn't take long before Seungwan picked up.

 

"Hi Joohyun," Seungwan said, her voice was a bit heavier.

 

"Hello Seungwan," Joohyun said in a low voice, afraid to wake up the two person beside her. "I didn't wake you up, did I?"

 

"Not at all, I'm experimenting on something."

 

"You what? At a time like this?"

 

"Yeah, I tried to mix an ASMR music with my voice. It only needs rendering though."

 

"That is so cool, Seungwan. And I kid you not."

 

"Why thanks," Seungwan smiled at Joohyun's compliment. "And you, what are you doing?"

 

"I tried to read a capital market book. It has great materials but I mostly read it to help me sleep, because it also has a lot of complex ideas that could bore and make me sleepy."

 

"Everyday with the capital market. huh?" Seungwan chuckled.

 

"It pays for my family's life," Joohyun smiled. "Mind to share the file if you've finished? Or is it a paid project or something like that? Either way, I want to hear it if you allow me to."

 

"Too bad it's an exclusive project, Joohyun. As much as I wanted to share it to you, I'm legally bound not to share it with anyone other than my client. But..."

 

"But?"

 

"I can make you one."

 

"Really? Should I pay or something?"

 

Seungwan laughed, "Of course not. I'll try to make it now. It would take 30 minutes, but I'll do it and send it to you ASAP."

 

"Don't bother yourself, Seungwan." Joohyun said. Although she would be delighted if Seungwan really sent her one.

 

"Nah. It's easy and it helps me through any creativity block. It's really okay. But please don't wait for me. You should be asleep."

 

"Thank you, Seungwan. Really appreciate it." Joohyun remarked as she yawned. She was now on call with her eyes closed.

 

"Anytime Joohyun. And I think I heard a yawn. You should really be asleep by now. Talk to you later?"

 

"You should be asleep as well. Don't work too hard on yourself. Talk to you later Seungwan. Goodnight."

 

"Goodnight Joohyun." They both hang up the phone. Joohyun put her phone back. She felt content and her eyes were heavy. Not long afterwards, she was down to deep slumber, sleeping sound and safe.

 


 

"I'll probably fetch Yerim after work," Joohyun said as she put the lunchbox to her bag. It's 7.30 AM. "I wanna take her to the mall."

 

"Okay," Seulgi said as she stratched her head and yawned. "Do you wanna take her to movies?"

 

"We'll see about that. I want to look for squash rackets first."

 

Seulgi gave Joohyun suspicious look, "Seems like someone can't wait to play another squash match."

 

"Shut up," Joohyun said. "And if you want to take Yerim into day care, you can use my car."

 

"Didn't you say that you wanna go to the mall? You wanna take the taxi to go from the office, daycare, mall, and home? Isn't that quite burdensome? Why don't you bring the car?"

 

"I'll join Seungwan's car," Joohyun hasn't even told Seungwan whether she could join or not but she just felt like blurting the latter's name.

 

"You can just tell me if it's actually another date," Seulgi giggled.

 

"It's not, you fool." Joohyun's cheeks reddened and she didn't know the reason why. "She just wants to accompany me looking for new rackets. After all, she's quite experienced with the sport."

 

"Okay, okay. Just do what you wanna do, Joohyun. But beware, you only met her once."

 

"I will," Joohyun grinned from ear to ear. "I know I can always count on you."

 

Seulgi just rolled her eyes and turned the TV on. Joohyun wanted to go to her bedroom to see Yerim once again before she was off to work. But before she went inside, turned out Yerim was already awake.

 

"Mommy..." Yerim walked to Joohyun.

 

"Ah Yerimie," Joohyun carried her daughter and kissed her. "You're awake already?"

 

"Uhuh," said Yerim followed by a wide yawn. "Me sweepy mommy. You go work?"

 

"Yes sweetheart. I have to work. You should wash your face first and ask auntie Seulgi to eat."

 

"Auntie Seulgi still here?"

 

"Yes baby, we can eat breakfast and watch a film together." Seulgi said.

 

"Yaay!" Yerimie smiled from ear-to-ear. "Auntie Seuwgi, I'm hungwy now..."

 

"At your service, Yerimie!" Seulgi stood up from the sofa, pinched Yerim's cheek and proceeded to the kitchen. Yerim just giggled. Joohyun loved it whenever she didn't have to put Yerim on the day care, because she had to wake Yerim early and saw her daughter's tired face. She was glad that Seulgi could accompany Yerim at least until noon. She definitely didn't choose the wrong godmother.

 

"And later Yerimie, after I finish working we're gonna go to the mall!" Joohyun said.

 

"Mall?" Yerimie's mouth gaped. "Yaay!!!"

 

"Be nice to auntie Seulgi, okay?" Joohyun poked Yerim's nose.

 

"Okaay," Yerim nodded. Joohyun kissed Yerim's cheek.

 

"Bye-bye Yerimie, love you." Joohyun waved her hand. "Bye Seulgi!"

 

"Bye mommy. Love you too!"

 

"Bye Joohyun!"

 

And off Joohyun to work. As soon as she got a taxi, she went to check her chat application. Nothing too important, her office group chats were just filled with some news links. She scrolled down until she opened Seungwan's new chat.

 

Seungwan: Joohyun! I know you're probably already asleep. But here's the ASMR file. Give it a thought if you've already listened to it will you? - sent at 01.01 AM

 

Seungwan: By the way here's a voice note to accompany your way to the office. Or lunch. Or any other occasion you're in. Have a great day - sent at 02.14 AM

 

"Aish this one," Joohyun couldn't hide her smile as she typed her reply.

 

You: Hey... Thank you so much for the files. Will listen to the ASMR later today. On my way to listen to the voice note ~

 

You: Ps. Seungwan please sleep early

 

The messages were sent but not yet delivered. Joohyun believed that Seungwan was still asleep. After all, the latter was still up until two in the morning. Joohyun plugged her earphone and played the voice note.

 

"Hi Joohyun. Morning. It's 01.36 AM at the moment. Just wanna say that I do really enjoy hanging out with you today. Thank you. It's always nice to meet someone new and get clicked. At least from my part. I really can't wait to see Yerim as well if you can manage to go today. So... Yeah. That's it. I hope you have a safe trip if you're listening to this on your way to work.

 

I hope you have a great lunch if you're listening to this on lunch time. I hope you have a sound and safe sleep, if you're listening to this before bed. Have a great day, Joohyun. Since I assume that you're probably listening to this on your way to work... Just wanna say, keep up the good work but don't stress yourself. I'll talk to you... No. I hope I can see you soon. Cheers."

 

Joohyun couldn't contain her smile. When she wanted to reply, she saw that Seungwan was typing. The latter already woke up. Without a second thought, Joohyun pressed the call button. And it didn't take long before Seungwan picked up the phone.

 

"Hi Joohyun," Seungwan's voice sounded so sleepy and tired. "You're awake already?"

 

"Silly. I'm already on my way to work. What time did you get asleep?"

 

"Three? I don't know..."

 

"Seungwan!" Joohyun facepalmed. "Be nice to your body."

 

Seungwan let out a yawn, "I will..."

 

"I have listened to the bonus voice note," Joohyun said. "It was really thoughtful and... sweet. Thanks Seungwan."

 

"Glad you'll like it. Hope you'll do well today."

 

"I will. Hope you'll do well too."

 

"Sure. Thanks Joohyun. Don't forget to give a feedback if you've already listened to the ASMR file. It's made personalized for you."

 

Joohyun chuckled, "Should I feel special then?"

 

"Geez... I shouldn't have made the file."

 

"Come on, it's still early in the morning. Don't be too serious," Joohyun laughed.

 

"Said by someone who didn't let out any word on our first meeting."

 

"Oops..." Joohyun suddenly got reminded by how she only let Sooyoung did the talk when they first encountered Seungwan. "You still remember about that?"

 

"Do'oh, of course. You looked like Anna from Frozen."

 

"How dare you?!"

 

Seungwan laughed, "Chillax. What I meant is that you didn't talk much. That's all."

 

"But why Anna?"

 

"Forget it," Seungwan continued to giggle. "It's not too important."

 

"I hate you Seungwan."

 

"I hate you for beating me on our first game."

 

Joohyun's laughed, "That's the power of Bae Joohyun."

 

"As you wish," Seungwan hissed. "Okay then, talk to you later? I gotta run a bit and catch my deadlines."

 

"Sure."

 

"Have a great day at work Joohyun," Seungwan said. "Tell me if you're available tonight and if so, don't forget to ask Yerim to come."

 

"You too, Seungwan." Joohyun replied. "Have a great day too! Bye."

 

"Bye, Joohyun."

 

Great way to start the day, Joohyun muttered to herself. As her office was still 15 minutes more, she decided to listen to the voice note again.

 


 

"Did something happen yesterday?" Sooyoung eyed Joohyun suspiciously.

 

"In case you've forgotten, we were together yesterday, Sooyoung." Joohyun responded as she ate the kimchi from her lunchbox.

 

"I mean after the game," Sooyoung said as she ate her sandwich. "Did something happen?"

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"You looked different. You looked cheerful. There must be something I don't know yet."

 

Joohyun lifted her eyebrow, "I don't exactly understand what you mean."

 

"Don't hide it from me, Unnie." Sooyoung scanned her unnie's eyes. "Tell me... What happened?"

 

"Seungwan and I just ate at the ramen café, she then took me home, I'm arrived and done. That's all." Joohyun sipped her mineral water.

 

"That's all?" Sooyoung squinted her eyes on Joohyun.

 

"We just ate, went back to our own homes, and had a phone call. So yeah, that's all."

 

"Say that again," Sooyoung smirked.

 

"I had forgotten what I said," Joohyun said not looking at Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung giggled, "You had a phone call? I didn't know you exchange numbers. Plus I find it kinda unusual that you already spent the evening together yet still managed to have another phonecall."

 

"She wanted to help me find new rackets today," Joohyun said as she munched the food. She didn't think yesterday was a big deal. Yes, she enjoyed the night, she enjoyed the conversation, but she wondered why Seulgi and Sooyoung made it seem like her interaction with Seungwan as something grand. "Thus we exchanged numbers. You could join us if you want to. I'll take Yerim as well."

 

"Heck no, I don't want to ruin your date."

 

"What date?!"

 

I really don't know the difference of Joohyun unnie being clueless or in denial, Sooyoung facepalmed herself. "Okay, so you also had a phonecall?"

 

"Seungwan called to inform that she's arrived at her home. And afterwards, I couldn't sleep so I called her and turned out she was still awake. We talked a bit, eventually I got sleepy and there I slept."

 

"Unnie....." Sooyoung smirked. She wanted to unnie more about Seungwan but decided to call it off. "Good for you. At least, you look very joyful today. TGIF!"

 

"I know right? Thank you for introducing me to squash. I really enjoyed it! We should play it again."

 

Sooyoung shook his head and smiled to herself, "Anytime unnie. I'm glad you enjoy the sport."

 


 

"All the reports for today have been submitted, Mark?"

 

"I've submitted it all."

 

"Good," Joohyun remarked at her vice head. "Have you followed up the meeting with Mr. Lee's private equity?"

 

"That one too."

 

"Perfect," Joohyun smiled. "I gotta leave earlier today because I have an appointment with my daughter."

 

"Are you taking her to the doctor or something?"

 

"No," Joohyun still talked with a calm manner. She was well aware that the "appointment" was not an actual appointment to doctors or something urgent. "It's related to her daycare. I'm gonna leave at four, so any calls or urgent matters until seven today will be directed to you. Is that okay, Mark?"

 

"It's very fine." Mark responded. "Say hello to your daughter from me."

 

"Thanks Mark," Joohyun replied. "You may leave my office. See you soon on Monday."

 

"Thank you Joohyun noona. See you Monday."

 

Joohyun cleaned her desk and prepared to go. Her phone rang, it was a phonecall. From Seungwan.

 

"Hello Joohyun."

 

"Hi. Sorry I haven't informed you, but I'm available for this evening."

 

"Oh well, yea, for that..." Seungwan hesitated. "I'm sorry but I think I can't manage to go out today."

 

"What do you mean?" Joohyun massaged her forehead.

 

"My client needed another revisions. And he needed it in 5 hours. I'm sorry that I have to cancel it."

 

Joohyun got pissed because she already promised Yerim to go to the mall today, "Okay."

 

"Joohyun I'm sorry... Let me make it up to you."

 

"Finish your work first. Call me later. Bye." Joohyun hang up the phone. She wanted to be mad at Seungwan but what could she do? After all, it's work-related. She was pissed but couldn't blame Seungwan. On the bright side, she could still go out earlier from work, pick Yerim up, and then spend a precious time with her daughter.

 

When Joohyun arrived at the day care to pick Yerim, her daughter was so happy. Yerim ran toward her and hugged her tight. Joohyun felt happy but sad at the same time. She suddenly got into a realization that Yerim was still three years old, but she practically didn't have a present father plus her mother worked full-time. If there was one thing she would always want to avoid, it was to make Yerim feels unwanted.

 

Their first stop at the mall was the game center. Yerim was playing numerous selection of games with a lot of enthusiasm. Joohyun wanted to be a good mother and gave everything to Yerim, but at the same time she realized that being a good mother doesn't equal to pamper the kid all the time.

 

"Yerim, you have used all the game credits. Let's go, baby"

 

"Me wanna play mommy," Yerim said, pouting.

 

"I know but when the game credit is zero then game time's over."

 

"Mommy no..." Yerim started to sob. "Me still wanna play."

 

"I know, Yerimie." Joohyun sighed and lowered her body to match Yerim's height. "Me too. But game time is over. Yerim a good kid, no?"

 

"I am..." Yerim wiped her tears but she couldn't control her emotion. "But me want to play!!!"

 

"If Yerimie's good kid," Joohyun said as she patted Yerim's head. "Yerim must understand one thing. Yerim must have patience. We had fun and we played a lot. We will play it again but not now. Also, Yerim cannot cry here. Yerim is strong, right? I know Yerim's a strong girl."

 

"I'm sad mommy..." Yerim still let out some tears but she got soothed as Joohyun patted her.

 

"Come here..." Joohyun hugged her daughter. "Yerim's a good kid. Let's play next time, okay?"

 

"Yes mommy."

 

"Let me see a smile. Yerimie looks even more beautiful with a smile."

 

Slowly, Yerim showed her a smile.

 

"Smart girl," Joohyun kissed Yerim at the tip of the head. "I love you, baby."

 

"I love mommy too," Yerim kissed her back. Joohyun felt relieved, she was glad that Yerim was indeed a smart girl and would listen to her words.

 

"Let's go to the bookstore shall we?" Joohyun held her daughter's hand.

 

"Uhuh," Yerim nodded.

 

Joohyun wanted her daughter to get used to bookstore. She hoped that Yerim would grow a strong habit of reading.

 

"Mommy look! Tis cute," Yerim showed her a collection of animal storybooks. "Can I?"

 

"Of course you can, baby."

 

"Yay!" Yerim half-shouted. "Thank you mommy."

 

"Anytime for my good girl," Joohyun patted her daughter's head. Her phone rang. Joohyun rolled her eyes when she saw the caller ID. It was Seungwan. "Yes?"

 

"Hi Joohyun," Seungwan greeted. "Turns out I've finished the revision. Where are you now?"

 

"I'm at the mall," Joohyun looked at her watch. It's still 7.16 PM. The mall closed at 10.

 

"Can I still join you and Yerim?"

 

"If you can, I don't see why not."

 

"Okay, wait for me will you? I'm on my way there. Won't take long."

 

"Drive safe. Please don't rush. I'll update you my location via chat." Joohyun said. She was still pissed at Seungwan but felt relieved that Seungwan could actually make some time.

 

"I will," Seungwan responded. "See you soon, Joohyun."

 

"See you soon," Joohyun hang up her phone and she continued to look after Yerim who's being so enthusiastic with the kids' section. She was glad if Yerim enjoyed being in the bookstore. For her it felt like she has done her part on educating her kid. Seeing her kid being happy and enthusiastic almost made her forgotten about Seungwan.

 

Turned out Seungwan already informed on the chat around 10 minutes ago, that she was already at the mall. Joohyun sent her current location. Didn't take long before Seungwan arrived at the bookstore and poked Joohyun on her shoulder.

 

"Hey," Seungwan gave a sad smile. "I'm sorry for earlier."

 

"It's okay. I was pissed but that's fine now."

 

"Of course you were," Seungwan said. "It's even weirder if you didn't get mad, Joohyun."

 

Joohyun chuckled, "I didn't say I was mad. I was just pissed."

 

"Up to you milady," Seungwan rolled her eyes. Joohyun loved teasing Seungwan. "Where's your kid?"

 

"Oh yeah, you haven't met Yerim yet." Joohyun called her daughter to come to her. "Yerim... This is auntie Seungwan, mommy's friend."

 

"Hi there pretty girl," Seungwan offered to shake hands as she lowered her body to meet Yerim's height. "Nice to meet you."

 

Instead of shaking her new auntie's hand, Yerim went to hide behind her mother.

 

"Don't worry, Yerimie. Auntie Seungwan is nice. She fed me with ramen yesterday." Joohyun winked at Seungwan. "Right auntie Seungwan?"

 

Seungwan felt her cheeks getting redder. "Y... yea Yerim. We also played squash together. Your mommy is a good player. Anyway, what book are you holding? Can I see it?"

 

"Go to auntie Seungwan, Yerim." Joohyun caressed Yerim's face. "She wants to read together with you."

 

Yerim hugged her mommy tight and shook her head.

 

"I'm sorry, Seungwan. She's very shy with new people."

 

Seungwan smiled, "That's alright. I understand. Have Yerim finished looking for the books though?"

 

"I think she has. Lemme pay for the book first."

 

"Sure," Seungwan said as she gave a smile to the little Joohyun though the latter still didn't look at her.

 

After paying for the books, they went straight to the racquet section on a sports store. Joohyun and Yerim sat on the sofa, Seungwan looked for the rackets.

 

"This one would suit for you," Seungwan said as she showed the racket to Joohyun. "I used it when I first started playing the game. It's also durable. Here, try handling it."

 

"The grip felt nice and firm," Joohyun remarked.

 

"You can get the strings done here too," Seungwan said. "Do you think the racket's too heavy or maybe too light?"

 

"Great deal," Joohyun said. "I think no, it's very suitable. What do you think of the racket, Yerimie? It's cool right?"

 

Yerim stopped reading the book that she just bought and nodded.

 

"You wanna play squash too, Yerim?" Seungwan asked.

 

Yerim nodded again.

 

"Cool... Wanna see the other rackets?" Seungwan asked offering her hand to Yerim. "Let auntie Seungwan buy one for you."

 

Yerim wanted too but she still hesitated. Joohyun gestured to Seungwan that went with saying, you don't have to. But Seungwan gave the latter a shush gesture. Seungwan still waited and gave Yerim a smile. Yerim finally stood up and held Seungwan's hand.

 

"Good girl," Seungwan smiled from ear to ear. "Let us look for the cute racket, shall we?"

 

Yerim nodded and off they went to look for the racket. Joohyun wanted to join but Seungwan signaled her to just sit. Not long afterwards, Yerim came with great enthusiasm.

 

"Mommy. Look..." Yerim showed her mother the racket.

 

"Great choice. The colors are nice, Yerim." Joohyun remarked.

 

"Auntie S'wan," Yerim said. "Yerim want tis."

 

"This one?" Seungwan checked the racket. "It's a great choice. You're smart girl, Yerim."

 

"Uhuh," Yerim proudly smiled.

 

"Let's pay the rackets, shall we?" Seungwan asked.

 

"Yes auntie," Yerim held Seungwan's hand.

 

"Oh right, this one too." Seungwan said as she took Joohyun's racket from the latter's hand.

 

"Seungwan, really..." Joohyun groaned. "You don't have to."

 

Seungwan just gave her another shush gesture with a smirk.

 

 


 

"Auntie S'wan, your car is cool and big!" Yerim said as she looked at Seungwan's SUV.

 

"Thank you smart girl," Seungwan patted Yerim's head. "Give your auntie S'wan a hug."

 

Seungwan lowered herself and Yerim hugged her new aunt. Joohyun loved seeing how the two bonded within a short time. The two adults put their shopping bag in the back of the car. Joohyun and Yerim seated in the middle. And off they went to Joohyun's apartment. It didn't take long before Yerim found herself asleep.

 

"Is she already asleep, Joohyun? I didn't hear any sound."

 

"Yeah..." Joohyun said as she caressed her daughter who was sleeping on her lap. "She had a great fun."

 

"Indeed she was," Seungwan responded. "I was kinda afraid if she didn't like me at all."

 

Joohyun chuckled, "Don't be. She's just a little shy."

 

The car ride took longer than the previous day as it was Friday night. People were roaming out with their cars, whether to go home or just wanted to start the night life. It was a quiet ride as Seungwan and Joohyun were a bit exhausted to talk after their visit to the mall straight after work. 

 

"Here we are," Seungwan said as she stopped the car on the parking spot of Joohyun's apartment. "Yerim's still asleep?"

 

"Yeah..." Joohyun said as she tried to wake Yerim up slowly. However, the kid just continued sleeping and didn't move an inch. "I think she already used her entire energy for today."

 

Seungwan opened her door and opened the middle door, "Mind if I help carry her to your home? I mean it's quite a heavy duty to bring Yerim, the rackets, and the books upstairs by yourself."

 

"I didn't want to trouble you, Seungwan."

 

"Not at all. I take that as a yes then," Seungwan winked at Joohyun. As much as Joohyun wanted to debate, she herself was quite tired for the day. And Seungwan was right though, she needed help because they bought lots of things. Seungwan turned off the car then went back to slowly carry Yerim on her hand. Joohyun got all the shopping bag. They then proceeded to walk to Joohyun's apartment.

 

"You have strong hands, Seungwan." Joohyun said as Seungwan put Yerim to bed.

 

"Perks of playing lots of squash," Seungwan remarked. Joohyun kissed the tip of Yerim's head. They went outside the bedroom and Joohyun closed the door.

 

"You want some tea or maybe hot chocolate?" Joohyun asked. 

 

"Don't trouble yourself, Joohyun."

 

"I won't take no for the answer," Joohyun glared. "What do you want to drink? Or perhaps you want to eat?"

 

"Uhm... Surprise me?"

 

"Challenge accepted! Just sit down wherever you want to."

 

"Can I just stand beside you?"

 

Joohyun was taken aback with the statement and grinned, "What do you mean?"

 

"I've already sat almost everyday so I wanted to just stand."

 

"Fair enough. Just do whatever you please."

 

"Noted," Seungwan smirked.

 

Joohyun took all the needed ingredients, "You're okay at eating something at 10 PM or you prefer not to?"

 

"I don't usually eat after 9, but I can make today as an exception."

 

"Okay," Joohyun responded. "By the way, Seungwan..."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"You've met my little family and even knew my bestfriends. Well... You're now in my home as well. But I think I haven't known much about you. Mind telling me some things about you? Other than work?" Joohyun stopped doing her kitchen affairs and looked at Seungwan who was standing beside her.

 

"Fair enough," Seungwan smiled. "I live alone at the moment. My parents and my sister live abroad although they usually visit me every 6 months. I once lived together with my ex for six months, I think it was two years ago. But life happened and we parted ways. She went in her way and me with my own. And I've been single since. That's fine by me since I never force myself to look for 'the right one'. I just want some organic relationship."

 

"Sorry to hear about that..." Joohyun said as she waited for the boiling water. "This is quite a personal question. But were you always with women?"

 

"I'm not," Seungwan responded. "My latest ex was actually my first same- relationship. My previous two exes were all men. So I'm kinda go with both teams. Though after living with my ex, I'm thinking all the time around that I actually lean more into women. But when you didn't know, you didn't know right?"

 

"Agreed."

 

"And you Joohyun... If I may ask, how's the divorce process going?"

 

"That?" Joohyun remarked. "It's going fine. We divorced amicably and it's 13 days more before the divorce got finalized."

 

"That kinda explains why you're not wearing..." Seungwan pointed to her ring finger.

 

"Well, just after I found out he cheated on me, I automatically took the ring off my finger."

 

"Do you still have the ring though?"

 

"I do still. After all, it's part of my life. It's what brings Yerim to life, no?"

 

"You have an undeniable point there. 100 for Joohyun."

 

Joohyun chuckled, "And before him, I actually experienced quite a diverse experience on my romantic journey. To tell you the truth, Seulgi and I even tried out dating."

 

"For real?"

 

"But it just went on for a day because we felt really weird. She said it's like dating a sibling and I couldn't agree more," Joohyun laughed. "I was maybe 'quite progressive' but at the same time naïve back then. I listened a lot to my big family's demand of getting married and having a kid early so I didn't think too much when someone, a family mutual, approached me to marry. The marriage might have gone to bust, but never in my life I regret the presence of Yerim. She's my spirit."

 

"I thought you were always going into the straight and clear way, Joohyun."

 

"It's always best to never assume, no?"

 

"Indeed. But whatever your romantic journeys were, Yerim's indeed a godsend. She might be a little bit shy yes," Seungwan responded. Joohyun laughed at Seungwan's remark. "But she's a great kid. She's smart and on top of that, she's very kind. You've raised her well."

 

"Thanks Seungwan," Joohyun responded. "And now please sit down on the dining chair as I have to prepare the the last part of the surprise. Sorry took awhile."

 

"It only took about 30 mins and it smells good from the start. That's okay."

 

Joohyun smiled, "You don't have any deadlines or works to do tomorrow don't you?"

 

"Nope. Gonna be free for the weekend."

 

"Good. Why don't you stay the night? It's getting late and you don't have any works to do tomorrow, don't you?"

 

"Not a bad idea if I may say."

 

"Of course! I mean driving at late night with you being tired all day is definitely not a good idea, Seungwan."

 

Seungwan hesitated because all of sudden she felt nervous, "You have a point right there."

 

Joohyun smiled as she served her surprise, "Here it is. My version of homecooked ramen with hot red ginseng soup."

 

"This was only done in 30 mins?" Seungwan looked surprise with the ramen's complex serving.

 

"FYI, Masterchef is one of my favourite TV shows."

 

"So?"

 

"Connect the dots with your smart braincells," Joohyun glared and took the seat beside Seungwan. "How's it though?"

 

Seungwan slurped the broth and ate the ramen, "Joohyun..."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"You should open a ramen bar," Seungwan said. "But on a second thought, no. I could probably pass out due to eating your ramen every single day."

 

"You tease," Joohyun pinched Seungwan shoulder slow. "But I'll take that as a compliment."

 

"Thank you for this, Joohyun." Seungwan said and she sipped the hot red ginseng soup. "It made me awake again."

 

"I don't know whether that's a good thing or not, but yeah sure." Joohyun stood up from the chair and went to the bedroom. "I'll get changed then take my t-shirt and my sleeping trousers for you. If you want to turn the TV on please do. Won't take long."

 

"Okay ma'am," Seungwan said. "If it turns out that you're gonna take awhile can I eat my ramen in front of the TV?"

 

"Sure."

 

"Okay Joohyun, now go." Seungwan shushed away Joohyun. Joohyun rolled her eyes and shook her head.

 


 

"Here's your clothes if you wanna change now," Joohyun said as she gave her oversized t-shirt and the pajama trousers to Seungwan who was already sitting in front of the TV. She already changed her clothes and even cleaned her face.

 

"Thank you so much, Joohyun." Seungwan said as she gestured to Joohyun to sit next to her. "You're the best."

 

"It's the least I can do," Joohyun responded. "What are you watching?"

 

"While You Were Sleeping. The Hollywood one with Sandra Bullock. I'm always a er for 90s romcom."

 

"That explains why you're kinda cocky."

 

Seungwan lifted her eyebrow, "Excuse me?"

 

Joohyun laughed at Seungwan's face, "No replay."

 

It was already 12 AM. The lamp was dimmed. The two were so deep into the film although they were getting a bit sleepy due to the film's quiet nature. Joohyun snuggled onto Seungwan's neck and Seungwan wrapped her hand around the latter's shoulder.

 

"Why do you like 90s romcom, Seungwan?"

 

"It's my go-to films whenever I feel down. I love the feel-good feeling that the films radiate. They could somehow lift my mood easily, even though I know that there's no twist within the story. What kind of films do you like, Joohyun?"

 

"I don't have a specific type of my fav films. But I like it when the films are full of dialogues. No special reasons though, it just matches me."

 

"I see." Seungwan responded as she Joohyun's hair. "Anyway, Joohyun..."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Can I see your face?"

 

It was just a simple question but Joohyun felt her cheeks flushed. She pulled back slowly from Seungwan's comfy neck and moved her face to a close proximity with Seungwan. They could feel each other's warm breaths.

 

"I think I haven't said this," Seungwan looked at Joohyun's eyes with deep admiration. "You're beautiful, Joohyun. You're kind, you're a great mother, you're a great friend, and you're probably... a great lover as well."

 

"Seungwan..."

 

Seungwan landed her soft lips on Joohyun's forehead. It was tender and slow. Quiet and warm. She held Joohyun's puffy cheeks and moved her lips toward Joohyun's eyes. She kissed each of the eye like she cherished every single part of Joohyun's face. She proceeded to land her lips on Joohyun cheeks, first on the left and then on the right. With every kiss that Seungwan landed, Joohyun felt even more safe and tranquil.

 

Seungwan pulled back slowly and she touched Joohyun's sultry lips. She traced the soft lips with her thumb, it was like she imagined how priceless would her life be if their lips melted together in one harmony.

 

"As much as I want my lips to meet yours," Seungwan looked at Joohyun's lips with a fondness in her eyes. "I guess I have to wait... Wait with respect. You don't mind, do you?"

 

Joohyun beamed and landed a kiss on Seungwan's hand. She was glad Seungwan reminded her that she was not officially divorced. "I'm glad you said that. Or else, I'll kinda make the similar mistake that my ex husband did."

 

Seungwan's arms wrapped around Joohyun like her life depended on the latter. She whispered on Joohyun's ear, "Let's continue watching the movie. You don't mind spending the night on the couch, do you?"

 

"Sure," Joohyun poked Seungwan's nose. "Yerim's a big girl anyway. Maybe now's the right time to teach her the importance of sleeping alone."

 

Seungwan gave a cheesy grin to Joohyun. Seungwan repositioned the sofa pillow so she and Joohyun could have a comfortable position as they watch the film. Joohyun rested her head on Seungwan's chest with the latter's hand still wrapped around her. She loved being like this, being on Seungwan's warm embrace. She felt wanted.

 

She knew that she still needed to finish one of her worst phases in life as soon as possible. However, being on Seungwan's arms with the latter carresing her hair, with the stolen kisses on the tip of her head, at least she knew she was in a good start.

 

She could not wait to play squash again with Seungwan. But as Seungwan said, she would wait with respect. And they would definitely wait with respect.