Le début

I SPY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AHN YUJIN

 

“Come on. Is this the best you can really do? Hell, even my grandma can run faster than you, Miss Ahn!”

 

Miss Yoo screamed into my ear as I ran past the blue marker, terribly exhausted from having to do twenty laps around the track. I mentally cursed my sister for snatching that only chance I had into getting a free ticket to hit the showers and gobbling the last few hash browns left in the cafeteria.

 

I grumbled under my breath which unfortunately didn’t go past Miss Yoo’s ears as she ordered me to run a couple more laps till she deemed it to reach her inexplicably high standards. I could see Minjoo pacing herself steadily in the further distance on the dirt track.

 

Pity for her even though she had managed to snatch the yoga ball from me. She was rather close to getting out of the dojo till Chaewon went in and mercilessly hooked Minjoo’s right leg, effectively pinning her down with Chaewon making a mad dash towards the exit with the stolen yoga ball in tow.

 

Finally, after a few more excruciating laps around the track, Miss Yoo seemed to have her guard slightly down, having been distracted by her partner, Miss Im. 

 

Good thing, the only thing that could potentially distract Miss Yoo had appeared. This left me to send thanks to my personal good luck which had befallen me for that crucial minute. That reminds me, I should go catch up with Minjoo.

 

In the slightest moment, Miss Im tilted her head slightly towards Minjoo who was still holding up despite the unfavourable weather and I was prompted to catch up to her, with Miss Yoo being currently distracted by Miss Im, who was blatantly flirting with our instructor.

 

Huffing along the way, I was able to sputter out a comprehensible sentence while beads of sweat dripped onto my maroon shirt.

 

“Hey, Miss Im allowed us to hit the showers and get breakfast. Let’s escape before Miss Yoo hauls our asses for a couple more rounds.”

 

Nodding her head slightly, Minjoo proceeded to slow down and headed off in the direction of the communal showers.

 

With the little energy I had left within myself, I used it to catch up with Minjoo.

 

Soon enough, I was able to settle down together with my hash browns which were fortunately reserved by Wonyoung as a form of apology, and the rest of my friends welcomed the newcomer into the group since Minjoo’s circle of friends had left to catch the only bus scheduled to bring us, SOTHEIA agents, to the city to unwind and sneak back the occasional booze to campus. 

 

Certainly we didn’t get to have the usual freedom that most kids around our age would receive such as limitations on our interactions with the people outside of the campus. But the fact that we are provided with opportunities to build ourselves into agents that go on missions which I am unfortunately not due for as I had yet to pass the crucial 100-day basic training.

 

My mind slowly faded off to other pressing issues on my mind, which pushed aside my worries for the time being. I spotted Wonyoung making a rather decent impression of my actions during our time, back at the dojo, but I was far too preoccupied with my hash browns to want to poke fun at her.

 

Being able to munch on my reserved hash browns served as a little respite for me since I was due for another lesson in preparation for my 100-day basic training. As far as I could recall, Chaewon was entering the 100-day basic training too along with someone else, as written on the hall’s notice board.

 

I made a mental note to ask Chaewon later and another quick self note to myself to strike off another day on my calendar, which meant I was only left with a week to get my senses together and to try and get through the 100-day basic training on my first try. 

 

Hopefully.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

 

Groaning in pain, I rolled over in my bed while reaching out for the alarm clock in the dark room. I could barely make out the gangly body of Wonyoung, in the dark, trying to latch herself on my bolster to make up for the loss of contact.

 

“Hey, Wonyoung. I need to go off for basic training. Take care of yourself while I’m away, alright?” I groggily muttered in the bathroom while brushing my teeth.

 

“Mmm. Okay.”

 

There was a sudden pause before I could barely hear Wonyoung mumble over the sound of my tooth brushing session.

 

“...See you in 100 days. I want to catch up on my sleep. Bloody hell, staying up late to play table tennis with a fellow red-shirt, Shin Yuna, was a horrible decision.” Wonyoung mumbled off before covering her head with my pillow.

 

Stifling a giggle, at her usual behaviour of agreeing to Yuna’s ridiculous challenges and choosing to crash at my bed at wee hours of the morning to bawl her soul out at the fact that she had lost again, instead of her own room which was just a few floors above. I lightly ruffled my sister’s head and headed straight for the cafeteria with my grey backpack in tow.

 

It was pretty early for the main chef to prepare the breakfast menu for the day, so I settled for a microwaveable porridge along with a cup of hot chocolate. 

 

While sifting through various choices of energy bars, Chaewon stumbled into my view while trying to stuff with a half of a tuna sandwich while fixing up her hair into a neat ponytail.

 

“Ready for basic training, Chaewon?” I chirped while heading off for the nearest table, to settle down my piping hot chicken porridge, alongside my cup of hot chocolate and energy bars.

 

Nodding her head in response, Chaewon lifted up a plastic container filled with the other half of the tuna sandwich.

 

“No thanks. I’ve already stocked up on energy bars.” 

 

However, Chaewon didn’t seem to pay attention to my words but was intent on focusing on someone or something over my shoulder.

 

Taking a huge gulp of her own milk, Chaewon yelled out to the person behind me.

 

“Minjoo? I didn’t expect you to be up this early. You have a mission coming up, today?” I whipped my head to come face to face with Minjoo who was holding a microwaved meal in her right hand along with a heavy backpack lugged on her back. I could visibly catch her expression contort into one with a slight stiffness.

 

“Uhm. I’ve come for the basic training.” She whispered lightly, which was loud enough for the both of us to catch in this vast cafeteria as she quickly cast her gaze down towards the floor.

 

“Wha-“ I choked on my drink, lightly spraying Chaewon with brown droplets of hot chocolate.

 

“, sorry about that, Chaewon.” I immediately reached over for the tissues, while Chaewon who didn’t seem to care in the slightest bit, pressed another question onto Minjoo.

 

“You’re not a qualified agent? But the rest of your friends are...”

 

“Uh maybe, long story short, I failed my first attempt since I dropped out on my own will. For the second attempt, I fractured my ankle due to a bad landing out from a tree. I wasn’t qualified for the following one since my fracture hadn’t fully healed. So this is my third and last attempt, hopefully. If I don’t go through this one, I've made up my mind to quit. There’s no point having to constantly go through 100 days continuously.” Minjoo shifted uncomfortably at her position.

 

“Oh well, third time’s the charm isn’t it?” I joked, trying to brighten up the mood.

 

“Yeah, I suppose.” Minjoo shifted uncomfortably once again.

 

“Anyways, why don't you sit down with us. Have mercy on your back bone for now.” Chaewon gently prodded.

 

The rest of the breakfast session went through with an air of tension and fear over what was in store for us in our basic training which was broken by the first rays of the sun rise, greeting us in the cafeteria.

 

I have heard from qualified agents over how it is the worst experience any agent could go through, such as the ridiculous punishments meted out by the instructors and harsh environments from the freezing temperatures of the Arctic Circle to blistering heat of the various deserts, they were thrown into for the last week of the 100-day basic training camp.

 

But the qualified agents all agreed to one thing in common, to which was the feeling of getting their grey shirt bearing the logo of SOTHEIA on the upper right hand side.

 

We soon cleared up our area and disposed of our containers into the respective bins. The sun was slowly creeping up on our pants so we rushed off to the main building where we would officially start our first day as a basic training recruit.

I took in the last few breaths of freedom before pushing on the door, revealing Miss Yoo along with another instructor, overlooking the rest of the recruits who had arrived early.

 

I caught the other instructor’s defined eyebrows raised in a mildly surprised manner upon our entrance.

 

“Come on along now. You, Recruit Kim. You’re up with Recruit Shin.” Miss Yoo gruffly stated while beckoning to a girl with a navy blue backpack hoisted on her shoulders.

 

“Uh, Miss Yoo. Which Kim are you referring to?” Minjoo asked.

 

“It says here Kim Chaewon. And the other Kim. Kim Minjoo is to be partnered up with Ahn Yujin.” The other instructor said while twirling her black pen between her fingers, right above the clipboard.

 

“Well, what are you waiting for? For nap time?” Miss Yoo barked at the three of us.

 

It broke me out of my slight stupor and I rushed to line up in front of the instructors.

 

Miss Yoo cleared and launched into her speech immediately.

 

“Okay. Even if it’s only the first day, we will go down hard on each and everyone one of you, every day, regardless of how close we are to the day you graduate. To lay down the bare rules. Miss Bae and I are to be addressed as Instructors at all times. Only when you have graduated from this basic training, then you are given the privilege to call us Miss Yoo or Miss Bae respectively. Secondly, you are addressed as recruits and this basic training is done to stimulate the harsh conditions you will experience as an agent in real life, provided you have graduated, of course. Miss Bae will take over the rest of the rules from now on.”

 

Miss Bae’s sharp eyes swept across the room, scanning each of us and she took Miss Yoo’s spot. Speaking in a crisp yet stern voice, I knew straight away this wasn’t someone to mess around with.

 

“As much as I’d want to have everyone push through this rigorous bout of training, there are safety precautions to take note. We would allow you to continue basic training if the medical instructors onsite do not deem your injuries as severe or life threatening. But your partner would have to carry a larger load of burden since you are injured. Moving onto the partner system, he, she or they would be your partner all the way till the last day. You are unable to change your partner in the duration of time as a recruit under this program. Also, no physical violence or any verbal aggression is tolerated among recruits. All of you are to work together to pull yourselves through these 100 days. Last but not least, if you wish to drop out of this 100-days basic training program, you are more than welcome to drop your gear and head over to the middle of this building. You will reach a courtyard where right smack in the middle, lies a bell atop of a stone stand for you to ring. We will not hinder you from ringing the bell, as it is ultimately your decision to do so. The instructors believe that you have enough determination and grit to pull through 100-days hence the vivid description of where you could find the bell to give up. Also, we hope that you would not ever reach the bell in the first place, unlike some people.” Miss Bae’s tone became slightly harsher among the last few words.

 

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Minjoo’s fists clenched tightly in a tight ball. I reverted my attention back to Miss Yoo who had proceeded to order all of us to look at the whiteboard behind them which listed out the respective items we needed to last us throughout the 100-days.

 

ITEMS NEEDED FOR RECRUITS FOR 100-DAYS BASIC TRAINING:

3 sets of outer wear(Blue Basic training dri-fit T-shirt, Black Shorts with one pocket, Camouflage Track Pants) 3 sets of undergarments(Standard for respective genders) 3 pairs of socks(Short, White and Long, Black) 1 pair of army boots, extra pair of black shoelaces 1 pair of water shoes  1 pair of slippers 2 towels Toiletries(Replaced once every two weeks) Food package for two weeks(Standard regardless of allergy or dietary preferences, recruits are allowed to trade amongst themselves for food items they prefer; Replaced once every two weeks) Standard water-proof watch Standard medical kit to be shared between a pair Other miscellaneous items would be provided over the course of the basic training program; to be only used during such exercises

 

“Well this sets it. And no, you wouldn’t be able to bring in your own personal belongings or any food items. Any contact with other agents or outside personnel is forbidden beyond this point till you graduate from this training or you can choose to drop out. Are my instructions clear, recruits?” Instructor Bae said strictly.

 

“Yes, Instructor Bae.” We all responded in unison.

 

“Excellent start. So could the first pair, Recruit Hwang Hyunjin and Recruit Lee Minho, come up to the front to collect their items. And head out to the room on our right to drop off your belongings.” Instructor Bae read off her clipboard while ticking the names off.

 

The pair shuffled forward and headed out to the room promptly.

 

“Alright, next pair. Recruit Huening Kai and Recruit Kang Taehyun, up to the front.”

 

This left three more pairs in the line leading up to the items.

 

“Recruit Lee Chaeryeong and Recruit Choi Jisu, up next.”

 

I wasn’t sure about my feelings regarding this whole experience. I don’t know. I really don't know. What if I decided to ring the bell halfway and leave Minjoo all alone to deal with the rest of the journey. I’ve heard rumours regarding her having to go through a major surgery to fix several bones in her ankle? My earlier suspicions were confirmed when Minjoo revealed during breakfast that she had to reschedule her appointments and that she was cleared to attend the basic training by the campus doctor. I could not help feeling a little pity for her. It was inevitable to feel a little pity to those who had failed numerous times. Maybe perhaps, I’ll push through this basic training, not just for the sake of assuring my younger sister that she could get through this and to allow Minjoo to pass through the basic training and join the rest of her friends who were up in a different rank from her.

 

Up ahead, Chaewon along with her partner, Ryujin, headed off for the other room.

 

This left the both of us along with Instructor Bae as Instructor Yoo had gone off for the other room.

 

“Alright, Recruit Ahn Yujin and Recruit Kim Minjoo, up to the front.”

 

I could feel the air growing heavier with each passing second as I tallied the items we were to collect.

 

Our agreement to carry different items allowed us to breeze through the start easily.

 

Welcome readers, to the start of Batch 118’s journey through the gruesome 100- Day Basic Training.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

 

KIM MINJOO

 

“Yujin, this is Minjoo. Reporting movement at haystack in front of yellow barn. Over.” 

 

The walkie-talkie I held in my hand crackled loudly amidst the heavy downpour as I peered through my fogged up binoculars.

 

“Minjoo,this is Yujin. Can you tell who it is? Over”

 

“Yujin, enemy spotted at the yellow barn. But unsure of the exact subject.Over.”

 

I could barely make out the black silhouette of my other teammates for the basic training, who are currently deemed as our opponents for the current exercise, down at the wooden door under the torrential downpour.

 

There was a vivid pause before the walkie talkie crackled loudly beneath my belt, with Yujin keeping me posted on suspicious movements.

 

“Yujin, do we head over to the barn, now? We don’t have much time.Over”

 

“Minjoo, till the enemy makes a move and just hold in there. Over.”

 

“Roger that.”

 

I knew Yujin was hiding up in the red barn, which was directly behind the yellow barn which meant she was unable to catch any signs of the other team moving out. This left my terribly soaked self in the rain to wait out till Chaewon’s team decides to move out. It was a decent strategy as it provided Yujin, ample time to sneak up on either Ryujin or Chaewon, while I faced them face front.

 

Suddenly, I spotted a quick swift movement and two human silhouettes head straight out for base camp immediately without any hesitation.

 

“Yujin, the enemy made a move. Over”

 

“Ok. Time to strike. Over and out”

 

Coupled with my vision being heavily impaired by the rain and the heavy equipment, I was only able to barely catch up with Yujin who had swiftly caught Chaewon. 

 

“Minjoo, bound her wrists and ankles, up with the rope and make sure she stands up. We don’t have all day and I need to catch up with Ryujin before she reaches the safe zone.”

 

“Ok, got that. Go before Ryujin reaches over for the safe zone and we can return back to base camp on time.”

 

Meanwhile, I quickly bounded Chaewon, ensuring that the knots were evenly tied and slightly loose to allow for blood circulation.

 

I hauled Chaewon up which was a rather difficult feat as she had grown quite a pack of muscles on her during the past month. Nudging Chaewon forward with the tip of my rifle, I could barely see the silhouette of my partner scouring the area for Ryujin.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter