Chapter 1

You Better Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Joy loves to read letters. Ever since she was a kid, she would always get the thrill every time she reads the love letters exchanged by her mother and father. Joy read one of his father’s letters aloud as they were on the dinner table.

 

“To my beloved,

 

I feel like (Y)you have the power to control time. You make it stop when I look at you, slow it down when I’m not with you and fast when we are together. I want everyone I know to meet you as my wife. I can’t imagine being apart with (from) you, please say yes and marry me? I want our future child to read this letter. I’m sure that child will bring joy in our lives.

 

P.S. I am catastrophically in love with you. I wish you were her(e) ???”

 

The last phrase made Joy cackled like a madwoman. Her mom is an English teacher and her dad is a mailman.

 

“I am catastrophically in love with you? I wish you were her? What the hell is this?!” Joy burst into a series of laughter.

 

“PARK JOY! Where did you get that?” her father asked with an embarrassment showing on his features.

 

“You’re lucky mom still married you! Ah, my head… It’s even funnier when mom proofread your letter!”

 

When Joy looked at her mom, she was grinning widely and smacked her father’s head.

 

“Yah!” her mother ignored her father’s whines and looked at her daughter.

 

“Joy, When someone wrote you a letter, always check their grammar.”

 

“Why did you marry dad anyway?”

 

“Yah, Park Joy! Is that a question? Of course, I’m handsome!” her dad made faces.

 

“Well, your father’s grammar is terrible but I felt his intentions through his letter.” her mother smiled at her and Joy did too.

 

“Is that why you named me Joy?” Joy asked as her laughter died down.

 

“You’re our one and only happiness.” her mom patted her head.

 

“Why did you give my letter to her?” her father asked her mother.

 

“Every letter deserves to be delivered, every feeling deserves to be felt.”

 

“Mom, why do people write letters for each other?” Joy asked in curiosity.

 

“People have feelings they want to express to others through letters.”

 

“When I grow up, I want to deliver letters and feelings too!” Joy said in finality and her father looked at her proudly.

 

“That’s my girl.”

 

***

 

When Joy finished her studies, she decided to work on a post-office. She loves delivering letters every day. She has seen different emotions. The happy look on people’s faces when they receive a letter from their loved ones. The bitter look on people’s faces when they receive bills and credits. And also, the unsent letters are stored in the storage room that they supposedly have to dispose of every year. But Joy just stored them on a box per year. There are many circumstances why the letters were not sent.

 

It’s either the receiver moved or the address is wrong.

 

Joy often spends her time reading the unsent letters instead of disposing of them. She looked at the boxes that contain the letters to be disposed of. Since there is no more room for the new unsent letters, she was instructed by her superior to throw the oldest box away.

 

Today, she read a letter about some parents that were longing for their child.

 

To our lovely daughter,

Congratulations on topping the class again! We’re very proud of you! Don’t stress yourself too much in school, you should prioritize your health more than anything. I and your dad are doing great here, don't worry about us, if we receive another letter of you worrying we will personally pick you up and we’ll make sure you will never come back. We know that you worry about a lot of things already and we don’t want to add that up.

We visited the vet last Monday, Wanwan’s weight suddenly fell and he must be missing you. But don’t worry the doctor said he will be fine and give him medicines. He will be back to his energetic self after days.

My dearest Wendy, you grew up so well. I remember the times when I have you beside me teaching you how to read, you would look at me with your hesitant eyes when you are doubting how to correctly pronounce the words as I guide you the proper way. I know that you have a lot of doubts and I am not there to help you but I believe that you can find the answers yourself. There are things that we can’t control and we better let that go and move on.

Love, Mom and Dad

Inside the envelope, there is a family picture attached. The mom, the dad, the daughter, and their dog posing beside a Christmas tree. Written behind it was their family name 'Son'.

"This dog must be Wanwan," Joy pointed at the labrador that was being hugged by a teenage girl, "This is their daughter, Wendy." Beside them were the old couple, "These are Mr. and Mrs. Son."

When Joy looked at the date of the letter, it was sent to the post office three years ago.

When she saw the receiver, it was named after 'Son Seung-wan’. The envelope of the letter was stamped unsent and for disposal.

"I wonder why she didn't receive this letter," Joy thought to herself.

She thought it was a beautiful letter to throw it out and so she put it aside as she started to read another letter. Letters after letters after letters, most are notice letters and already past of their dates but few of them contain heartwarming and touching stories. One of which is the first one she read, this Wendy must be a great person making her parents proud but a bad pet owner for making her little Wanwan miss her to the point it was taken to the vet. Different stories were told in each letter, she felt various emotions, and curiosity hit her and wondered why these letters didn’t reach their destination?

Every letter deserves to be delivered, every feeling deserves to be felt.” Joy remembered her mom’s words before she decided to work at the post-office.

 

“Maybe I can be the person to deliver these letters!”

 

The next days were busy for Joy. Aside from looking for the receivers of these letters, she has to do her daily job to deliver current letters. Her friend/superior, Kang Seulgi saw Joy with a tired look on her face as she slumped on the office bench.

 

“Hey Park Joy, you look dead.” Seulgi commented, “What have you been up to?” she asked.

 

“Nothing boss,” Joy tiredly stated.

 

“Do the letters you deliver that many? Want me to lessen your load and give them to other mail-men?”

 

“Oh, it’s not that… Delivering current letters is easy but, I am also trying to locate the receivers of the unsent letters from the old box in the storage room.” Joy explained.

 

“You know you really do not have to do that, right?”

 

“I know I can’t deliver all the letters but at least let me deliver the important ones… Some letters on the old box have special feelings written to be delivered to the receivers. Like my mom used to tell me, Every letter deserves to be delivered, every feeling deserves to be felt.”

 

“Okay, as a superior I don’t recommend you to do that but as a friend, I’ll let you do whatever you want with the old letters. Just don’t overwork yourself, hmmm?” Seulgi pats her shoulder and Joy gives her a smile.

 

“Thanks, boss!”

 

***

 

‘Son Seung-wan’

 

Joy couldn’t keep her head off on the letter she had read. There was something about that letter that made Joy miss her parents as well.

 

“Her parents must love her so much.” Joy closed her eyes and thought, “I hope their love would be delivered to you.”

 

After delivering the letters that day, Joy decided to go to Son Seung-Wan’s address using her cute pink scooter that matched her helmet. Joy thought that maybe she might get information about this person named Son Seung-wan when she asked the locals in the neighbourhood. She found herself standing in front of the address written on the envelope and saw an old man coming out of the gate.

 

“Excuse me, sir? Do you know a person named Son Seung-wan or Wendy?” Joy asked politely.

 

“Sorry, child. We just moved here recently.”

 

Looking for Son Seung-wan or a person named Wendy was not easy. Joy had to come back three times in the neighborhood before she got a lead.

 

Joy sighed as she retreated on a bench on the sidewalk. She was close to giving up on looking for this receiver until she heard a voice, “Excuse me, I overheard you were looking for Son Seung-wan? Are you perhaps looking for Ms. Wendy Son?” the girl said and Joy immediately nodded her head, stood up to regain her composure and listened intently to the girl.

 

“I know Wendy, she’s my friend. Is there something you need?” the girl asked.

 

“My name is Park Joy from the post-office. I have to deliver a letter to Ms. Son Seung-wan. It was from Mr. and Mrs. Son, her parents.” Joy answered and showed her the envelope.

 

“Wendy moved three years ago and her parents died a week after she moved out of our dorm. I used to be her roommate. My name is Haseul. I can give you Wendy’s current address since that letter seems to be important.” Haseul shook Joy’s hand and Joy smiled widely.

 

'Wait… Mr. and Mrs. Son died? How about Wendy? How about Wanwan? It must be terrible. I shall deliver this letter to Wendy to feel her parents' love for her. ' Joy thought.

 

"Thank you, Haseul.”

 

When Haseul wrote Wendy’s address on a notepad and gave it to Joy, Joy stared at the address like a winning number in the lottery.

 

“Son Seung-wan, the letter sent to you will be delivered soon!” Joy raised her fist, “Fighting!”

 

The work on the office started to be packed, Joy had to work fast and hard to make it to Son’s residence in time. She was all sweaty and her body was tired when she was finally able to reach Son Seungwan’s current address. She parked her pink scooter on the sidewalk in front of the house. She saw a convenience store nearby, so she decided to buy some water before giving the letter.

 

When she came back, she saw a girl on her scooter and a dented lamp post.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter