fin.

Questions

It’s monday morning and the day that Sana’s daughter is finally going home for a vacation after staying with her parents in Japan for a while.

Sana stared at the white ceiling as if there’s something entertaining in there. She’s really anxious about what will happen to them for a whole month.

She doesn’t know how they will act in front of their daughter. The fact that Tzuyu and her are not living in the same roof anymore for almost 6 months and already talked about their divorce.

They already planned to tell their daughter about it but she really wish it was that easy but it’s not. It’s nerve-wracking. She doesn’t know how will her daughter feel or react to it.

Sana let out a big sigh before sitting up and look at the digital clock on her bedside table.

5:45 a.m.

“It’s still too early but I should get up.”

Sana stood up and went to the bathroom to brush her teeth and comb her hair before deciding to go out of her room.

As she goes down she saw Tzuyu on the couch sitting while her phone is on her right ear talking to someone. Sana didn’t mean to eavesdrop but Tzuyu is talking a bit more louder.

“You know minjoo is the one keeping me going. I love that kid so much.”

Sana wondered who Tzuyu is talking to.

“Yeah, I’ll bring her to Taiwan next time and we can have some fun together.”

Sana can tell that Tzuyu’s smiling just by hearing the girl’s voice.

“Thank you for talking to me at this hour. I just really can’t get any wink of sleep. I can’t stopped thinking if my daughー”

Tzuyu stopped from talking when she heard Sana cleared while walking to the kitchen.

“I’ll talk to you later. Bye, Elkie. Thanks again.”

Tzuyu hang up and put her phone down on the center table and went to the kitchen as well.

“Uhm.. I cooked something for breakfast. I’m sorry I used your kitchen without asking.” Tzuyu awkwardly said while scratching her not so itchy nape.

“It’s okay. It’s not like you didn’t use this kitchen for years.” Sana answered while taking out a carton of milk from the fridge.

“Yeah, used to.” Tzuyu smiled sadly. “I’ll go back to the room. I’m sorry if I was too loud earlier.”

Tzuyu turned around to walk away but stopped when she heard Sana.

“You’re talking to Elkie.”

“Yes, I am. Are we going to argue about her again?”

“No but I want you to know that whatever plan you have involving my daughter you still need my permission.”

Tzuyu turn around to look at Sana before saying, “OUR daughter, Sana. I can take her to wherever I want and Elkie is just a friend.”

“I don’t care who she is to you. Even if she’s your girlfriend already I don’t care. I just want my daughter to be safe at all times!” Sana snapped.

“And you think she isn’t safe with me?” Tzuyu scoffed. “Let’s stop this. This is nonsense.”

Tzuyu sigh and turn around again ready to leave, “You probably forgot but you’re still my wife and maybe now we’re only married in papers but even so, I will never cheat on you.”

Sana was dumbfounded. She didn’t know why she acted like that and she didn’t really mean to. Now it’ll be more awkward later when they go fetch their daughter.

ーーー

No one dared to speak inside the car. It was pure awkward silence.

Sana wanted to apologize but she doesn’t know how to start. They might start fighting again if Sana will bring it up so she just look outside and tried to clear her head and wished that everything will be alright later.

They are currently waiting for minjoo inside the airport. There’s a large space between them and an awkward aura that even a stranger can tell that they’re not in good terms.

Sana can’t take it anymore so she decided to speak up.

“Can we just forget what happened earlier and be more comfortable right now?”

Tzuyu looks at Sana with a blank expression and nod her head in response.

Sana tried not to get annoyed and just sigh.

A few more minutes and they finally saw Minjoo walking with her big black luggage. Both Sana and Tzuyu smiled at the sight.

“Mom, Mama!” Minjoo called as she walked until she’s in front of them.

Minjoo looked at her parents, curiosity fills her eyes.

Sana looked at Tzuyu with uneasiness seeing how her daughter looked at them.

“What’s wrong?” Tzuyu asked Minjoo.

“Nothing.” Minjoo smiled as she assured them.

“Then why aren’t you giving us a hug? Don’t you miss us?”

“Aw, of course I missed you both so much. Grandma’s too tight when it comes to everything. Unlike when I’m with you both.” Minjoo said as she hugged her parents.

“Haha it’s because I told them to.” Sana giggled.

“I know you’re tired from the flight so let’s get you home and eat.” Tzuyu said while smiling.

“Oh! I miss your food, Mama! Let’s go, let’s go!” Minjoo said as she cling her arms to Sana’s.

“I see, you’re making me take care of your things.” Tzuyu smiled while shaking her head.

“Love you, Mama!”

Tzuyu just laughed and pulled Minjoo’s luggage as they exit the airport.

ーーー

“So, how’s Japan?” Sana started.

They’re both on the table waiting for Tzuyu to finish the dishes she’s preparing.

“Nothing new, still Japan.” Minjoo shrugged while Tzuyu chuckled at her daughter’s response.

“You really are the same how your Mama always responds.” Sana shook her head chuckling a bit.

“Enough about that. How are you guys here?” Minjoo asked giving both her parents a glance.

There’s a few minutes of silence before Tzuyu speak.

“We’re good. Always good. Your mom still nagging me for working so late.” Tzuyu smiled.

Minjoo knew it was a fake one. Never did she ever saw that kind of smile when her Mama is talking about her mom. The sparkle isn’t there, it was replaced with uncertainty.

“You know how workaholic your Mama is and how it is pissing me off every time.” Sana rolled her eyes.

“I’m doing it for the both of you. I want to give you both everything.” Tzuyu answered, eyes still on the food she’s making.

“But we don’t need everything. We just need you and your time.” Sana quickly retorted.

Minjoo just looked at her parents low key fighting in front of her. It’s the first time she saw them like that. She wanted to laugh but she doesn’t think it was appropriate as of the moment.

“Can I still do it?” Tzuyu stopped at what she’s doing and look at Sana seriously.

Sana looked at the latter with her right eyebrow raised. “What?”

Tzuyu realized what she just said and continue to cook. “I said I’m doing it right now. I’m giving my 100% time for the whole month.”

“Really!?” Minjoo exclaimed clearly shocked to what Tzuyu just said.

“Yeah, I let your auntie chaeyoung handle the company for the whole month.”

Sana can’t believe that Tzuyu actually did it. For more than 16 years they’ve been married it’s the first time that Tzuyu decided to have at least a month of break for them or maybe just for their daughter.

“That’s great! So mama you got any plans for us?” Minjoo excitedly said.

Tzuyu put the foods on the table and sat next to Sana.

“I actually don’t have but I will gladly take you both to wherever you want.” Tzuyu smiled warmly.

“Let’s go to the beach, please.” Minjoo said with her puppy eyes.

“Of course, anything for my princess.” Tzuyu said and look at Sana. “Let’s eat.”

“Yeah, thanks for the food.” Sana said and timidly smiled.

Minjoo felt happy being with her parents but still she feels like something is different. The feeling is different from when they were 3 years ago. She wanted to find out what is actually wrong.

ーー

The whole 2 weeks went by really fast and so far Sana and Tzuyu didn’t fought, not even once. Although the awkwardness is still there and Minjoo noticed all of it.

Minjoo is in her room laying in bed and just scrolling through her social media account completely bored. They don’t have any plans today but she wants to go out but she knows how protective her parents are and they will surely not let her go somewhere they aren’t around.

She looked through her contacts and decided to call her best friend and ask for opinion or maybe get some advice about her parents.

“Hello, minguri?”

“I told you to stop calling me by that nickname.” Minjoo rolled her eyes.

“Shut up! it’s cute. So why did you call?”

“I don’t know what to do.”

“About what?”

“My parents.”

“I thought they’re good?”

“I thought so too but I guess I was wrong?”

“Why? Did something happened?”

“It’s just that.. It’s not the same. They’re always awkward to each other. They don’t even hold hands anymore. My mom isn’t clingy to my Mama like before. It was so different that it felt like I was with two strangers.”

“And?”

“It’s frustrating ’cause they aren’t saying anything. I wanted to know what exactly is wrong. I wanted to know if they’re already planning to get a divorce or that maybe they already did.”

“Don’t think like that, Minjoo. What if they are just not in good terms right now?”

“It’s more than just not in good terms. I can feel it.”

“You wanted to do something, aren’t you? You’re not just calling to actually get some advice from me. Am I right?”

“Uhm. But I don’t know how will I solve this issue when I don’t even exactly know what the issue is.”

“Minjoo-ah, you can’t fix this. You know it. Only them can fix whatever they’re going through but you atleast deserve to know what’s happening. So try to talk to them and don’t do anything that will make this more complicated, okay? You’ll be fine. Your family will be fine.”

“Okay. I don’t know what will I do without you. Thank you as always, I love you.”

“I love you too, minguri.”

“Yah!”

“Just kidding. I gotta hang up. See you soon.”

“Yeah, Bye.”

Minjoo dropped her phone on the bed as she looked at the ceiling. Yuri’s right, she can’t fix whatever is happening to her parents but she can atleast talk to them and clear things out.

She’s thinking how she will bring the topic up later but she heard something downstairs. She decided to peak at her door and eavesdrop.

“I thought we’re clear about this!?” Tzuyu said angrily.

“Yes! But it’s not my fault that he suddenly pops up in here.” Sana shouted back.

“Whatever, Sana. I’m trying my best to atleast give my daughter one last memorable family experience and I guess this is how it will end. Fine. Let’s just tell her tomorrow and end this once and for all.” Tzuyu walked out afterwards and glared to the man standing by the door.

Minjoo can’t believe what she just heard. Although her Mama didn’t clearly said the word she knew what it meant. She was right.

“Sana, you’re getting divorced right? Why can’t we make it fast? I can help you.” the man said holding sana’s right hand.

“Can you.. Can please leave for now, Mark?” Sana said pulling her hand back.

Minjoo can’t take it anymore as she went out and made her presence known.

“Mom, what’s happening?”

“Minjoo…”

“Is she your daughter? It’s nice meeting you. I’m your mom’s suitor.” Mark said as he smiled at minjoo.

Minjoo felt like there’s something in that was blocking every words she wanted to say. She tried real hard not to cry but can’t. Everything she heard was too much for her.

“I.. So I was right all along? And both of you had to act like everything is fine?” Minjoo huffed.

“It's not like that. Let me explain.” Sana said. “Mark please leave.”

But before Mark can go out Minjoo already ran outside. Sana tried to stop her daughter but she already ran off somewhere.

Minjoo didn’t know where to go but she got a lot of questions in her head. She wanted to see her Mama. She wanted to know why or how it actually comes to this. She doesn’t want to believe that they don’t want to be around each other anymore because it doesn’t look like it. Maybe the actions isn’t the same but her Mama’s eyes couldn’t lie. It was full of longing every time. She have to know why.

ーーー

Minjoo finally answered her phone. Her mom’s been calling her since she left the house.

“Baby, can you please let me explain?”

"Mom don’t drop this call and just listen, okay?

“What? Minjooー”

Minjoo didn’t answer anymore and locked her phone and just hold it using her right hand before going in.

“Mama” Minjoo called out.

“Oh, baby girl. How’d you know that I’m here?” Tzuyu asked confusedly.

Minjoo bit her lower lip and answered, “Auntie Chaeyoung…”

“I knew it! That small creature. Tsk”

“Mama that’s mean.” Minjoo chuckled a bit.

“Ah, yeah sorry. Anyway why did you go here?” Tzuyu asked and pat the space next to her.

Minjoo walked closer, put her phone down to the table and sat beside her Mama.

“It’s because I didn’t see you in the house and I suddenly miss you. Is that enough reason?” Minjoo then hugged Tzuyu side ways while resting her head on Tzuyu’s right chest.

“You sweet talker. I don’t buy it but okay.” Tzuyu then kissed Minjoo’s head.

There was a minute of silence before Minjoo spoke again and gained a humm from the latter.

“Tell me a story.”

“Story? What kind?”

“Something you still haven’t told me. Like how you met Mom.”

Tzuyu suddenly got tensed at the request.

“Minjoo, baby, Mama wants to tell you something.”

There it is. Minjoo knows what her Mama is going to say but she doesn’t want to hear it.

“I know it already.” Minjoo answered sadly.

“Y-you know?”

“Hmm.. I actually heard everything earlier.”

Tzuyu already practiced what she was going to say if this time comes but the only thing that she blurted out is, “I’m sorry.”

“Why are you saying sorry? Did you.. Did you regret having me and mom in your life?”

Minjoo is hella nervous and she doesn’t know why.

“It would be easy if that’s the case but no. Both of you are the biggest blessing in my life.” Tzuyu smiled but it didn’t last when minjoo spoke.

“T-Then why?” Minjoo choked while trying to suppress her tears.

Tzuyu sigh heavily, “You know when I met your mom it’s the same with how movies describe love at first sight. She walks in and everything suddenly slowed down and she’s the only one I can see. I don’t know if she’s like that as well, I didn’t get to ask her that.” Tzuyu chuckled a bit, “The only thing that’s on my mind that time is, ‘I’ll make her mine or I’ll be a nun.’ and so I asked my manager to get her number and I’m too lucky that my manager is friends with hers. I asked her to go out with me but you know she rejected me many times but that didn’t stopped me from pursuing her, after all, I know she’s the one for me. After 1225 times, that’s not really the count but that’s how it felt like, she finally agreed to have a coffee with me. I was so excited about it that I can’t focus on my work that time. It really felt like I won the lottery. We went to a lot of dates after that and I don’t know how or when did it happen but during that one time in the café she finally said she love me. Imagine my whole body froze when she finally said her first I love you to me.” Tzuyu smiled remembering that time. “What I’m saying is I truly love your mom. No one can replace her in my heart. She’s a part of me already. I never regret giving up my career and inherit my family’s business instead for your mom as it gave me a new life, a new light and most importantly she gave me you. I remember holding you for the first time, I cried really hard while saying thank you. It was one of the best moment of my life that your mom made me experience and I’ll never forget that. I’m saying sorry because it’s my fault that our marriage failed. I got lost along the way, completely forgot what matters and blamed her for my failures. I know she hates me so much and want to end this quick but I don’t want to. She’s my happiness. I don’t want to write a new chapter without her in it after all those years of writing a whole book with her. But because I love her, I should let her go and move on.”

Tzuyu suddenly felt her shirt getting wet so she looked down at her daughter who is burying her head to her chest and hugging her much tighter.

“Why are you crying, baby?”

Minjoo didn’t answer and cried much more. Tzuyu didn’t know what to feel that moment. She’s hurting her daughter but she can’t do anything but to let her cry in her arms as she rub circles on her back.

After a couple of minutes minjoo finally detached herself from Tzuyu but she didn’t look at her face instead she hang her head down.

“Mom probably didn’t know.”

“Didn’t know what?” Tzuyu confusedly asked.

“That you love her more than anything else.”

Tzuyu was taken aback but she held her daughter’s face and raised it to her level and smiled, “Minjoo-ah, Sometimes some things are better left unknown.”

"How can you just let it go? Wasn't that hard for you?" 

"It was the hardest. This was the hardest. Thinking you have a partner for life, and for some period of time actually having that partner, getting used to caring about someone else as much than you care about yourself and then one day you just have to let it all go because you have to... I had to." Tzuyu smiled sadly. 

With that, Minjoo’s tears began to fall again. She’s not crying because of the situation but because she knows how much her Mama loves her Mom that she’s willing to give up even her only happiness.

Meanwhile, on the line.

“That stupid Chou…” Sana wiped her tears as she tried to stop crying but end up crying even more.

ー:)