☁ ☽ L

L. A. (Love Again)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



☁ ☽ L

Pairing: BaekhyunxOC
POV: Baekhyun


 

~

Like a burning fire set ablaze, I was furious.
My hands were tight on the steering wheel as I fought the sickening feeling behind my chest. My thoughts filled with what happened earlier.

***

I arrived at the venue of her art gallery exhibition almost an hour and a half late. Part of me hated myself for being irresponsible but I had a reason for not being there on time. I was panting when I entered the venue and found it almost out of people already. It was over. I saw her at the center surrounded by her artworks that were displayed on the walls. However, she was staring at that one particular painting in front of her. It was a black and white acrylic painting, a portrait of the very man she spent the last five years with...me.

I could just imagine how she looked, gazing at it. She wore a tight-fitting, long-sleeved black velvet dress that reach inches below her knees. The classy fabric hugged her every curve beautifully. I could perfectly remember when she tried that dress on for the first time that night. It sure did make me lose my as I gaped at how hot and gorgeous she looked in it. Her raven black hair neatly fell on her back. The black stilettos she was emphasized how classy she was.

If I had come here on time, I wouldn't have hesitated to come near her and give her fragrant neck a kiss, wrap my arms around her slim waist, and whisper congratulatory words in her ear that she deserved to hear. Tell her how proud I was of her achievement, how her hard work and passion paid off. However, I stood on my spot guilty...feeling like a piece of ty boyfriend showing up just now.

"Love..." I muttered, finally having the guts to call her.

I watched how her slender arms fell on her sides when she realized that I had come. It took her a second before she could turn around. The first thing I noticed was the look of hurt on her face which I was a hundred percent sure I had caused. I wasn't sure what to say, so I stayed quiet looking back at her. I wanted to apologize badly but the way she kept staring at me with those eyes...damn.

"The exhibition's finished..." She said plainly before she cleared as if she had been suppressing crying.

"Love I'm sorry, I was..." I sighed, knowing that no matter how much I tried to explain, my reasons weren't going to be good enough. "I went here as soon as I can."

, I knew how important this exhibit for her was. She had been preparing for this for months now and I watched her work on her artworks day and night. Especially that painting of me that she perfected for days and hours telling me that she wanted to give her exhibition a personal touch. She wanted it to be about me too and not just her. She wanted it to be memorable for both of us.

"If you were gonna be here at this time...you shouldn't have bothered coming anymore." She told me in a calm but controlled voice before walking past me.

"Sera..." I muttered in desperation, stopping her on her feet. "Please...my boss..." I paused, my excuse sounding lame even in my own ears. "I'm sorry, Love I'm sorry."

She wasn't able to say anything but I heard her take deep breaths. I bet she was trying to compose herself because we weren't alone in the venue. She tilted her head down, her eyes landing on her hands gripping the handle of her purse.

My hands formed into fists, not being able to do anything. I wanted to pull her inside my arms and tell her I regret not being able to make it on time but the people around us were already keeping tabs on us. I didn't wanna cause a scene and make matters worse for her. I must have made her feel bad already. This was supposed to be the happiest day for her but thanks to me it wasn't close to it anymore.

I was about to open my mouth again when I heard and felt someone's presence join us. Looking at the person, I found the pair of eyes I despised for years...Seungmin.

"Sera, are you ready to leave?" He asked and it confused the hell out of me.

I turned to her, wanting to confirm if I did hear this punk right. She didn't even look at me, she looked up to him and forced a smile before nodding.

Anger was building inside me, I held her arm preventing her from going with the guy.

"Where are you going?" The anger I felt was mirrored by my voice. "Are you really going with this guy?"

I wanted her to tell me that she wasn't going to. However, meeting my eyes, I felt her other hand removing my grip on her arm. I refused, I couldn't let her go with him like this. Hearing her sigh, she turned to Seungmin once more.

"Seungmin, could you wait for me in the car?" She told him.

The man, looking displeased, shot me a look before nodding at her and eventually left us.

The first thing she did when we were left alone was to take my hand off of her.

"What is he doing here?" I asked, trying to control my temper as much as I could. "And where are you going?"

She scoffed, tilting her head down before meeting my eyes.

"It's funny how he got here thirty minutes earlier before the show even started." She replied, making me feel like again. "While you just got here."

I opened my mouth to speak but damn...

"My parents were here." She stated once more in a matter-of-fact tone. 

Her parents. Her parents never liked me. Her parents never failed to make me feel like I didn't deserve her. Five years...five years and no matter what I did, they'd still look at me with indifference in their eyes.

"They asked me where my boyfriend was. Why weren't you here when you're supposed to be the one to support me the most? They were even so vocal about how I painted and hang your portrait out here for nothing." I heard her gulp.

We both fought for our relationship since day one. I knew she worked so hard for her family to like me somehow. I cursed in my head, realizing what I had done today was a total turn-off. They'd always liked Seungmin for her. He's a businessman, he's stable, had a good family background... him!

"I know what I did was unforgivable," I admitted. "But don't go with him Sera," I told her in a controlled voice.  "Let's just go home and talk. I'll tell you everything." This time I placed my hands on her shoulders, gently rubbing her arms up and down as if trying to calm and convince her.

"Baek." She called, getting my attention. "I don't think I can be around you right now."

. I knew she sounded calm and everything but I could just imagine what was going on inside her head right now. I voluntarily took my hands off her.

"We're going to have dinner with my parents." She informed. "I'll be home late, so don't wait for me." She added, obviously trying to sound casual before turning around to walk away.

I absolutely felt heartbroken seeing her exit the venue just like that. Seeing her walk gracefully, keeping a straight face by smiling at the people who greeted and congratulated her on her way out.

***

1:34 AM

I wasn't dumb to go home and deal with my freaking regret, anger, and frustration alone. I went to Junmyeon's pub and stayed there for a couple of hours. When he asked, I told him what happened between Sera and me. Apparently, he told me that I was an for missing her exhibit and that I deserved to feel like . I also narrated how that Seungmin showed up and took her with him, also the fact that Sera said that she couldn't stand being with me right now.

"I know what I did was dumb Jun, but should she really go with that punk right in front of my eyes? , I'm so mad." I told him. "That guy, of all people," I said with gritted teeth.

"Baek," Jun muttered. "Sera must feel so frustrated right now. You know how much this exhibition meant to her. She worked hard for it and you promised her you would be there...You told me that things were getting kinda rough between you two lately and now this? Of all the things you could have missed, it's her exhibition for Pete's sake. Weren't you thinking?" He smirked. "I'm sorry man, you're my friend, but she's got the right to be mad and be way more heartbroken than you are right now."

Damn. He really had to rub it on my face.

"I won't be surprised if..." He trailed off and he took a sip of his drink. "If she breaks up with you because of this."

My grip on the glass I was holding tightened upon hearing Jun's remarks. However, I couldn't say anything to rebut it. He was right, Sera and I had been trying to work things out lately. We broke up a couple of times in the past but somehow got back. This time... if it happens again this time...damn I don't know anymore.

"And honestly." He shrugged. "I won't be surprised if she doesn't come back to you this time," Jun added in a matter-of-fact tone. "Maybe you two should just..."

" Jun." I snapped.  "Shut up," I added as I took a sip of my drink too. The burning feeling of the alcohol made my throat hot. "You're not helping."

Jun's a straightforward person. That's how I knew him from the start. Sugarcoating wasn't his thing. I shouldn't be surprised how he talked to me like this, I know.

"I told you, my boss specifically asked for me. He wanted to congratulate the whole team for closing the deal. You know how hard I've been working my off for this promotion. , I've been doing this so she could be proud of me."

"Sera's proud of you Baekhyun. She has already made that so obvious to everyone."

Closing my eyes, I remember the times when she'd brag about how good I was with whatever I do. She smiles ever so beautifully, her eyes glistening with pride especially when she starts talking about my music.

"I know she is man, but do you have any idea how hard it is when your girlfriend's parents look down on you because you didn't come from a rich family like theirs?"

Jun kept quiet for a bit.

"I know Sera's been trying to get them to like me and I wanted to do well at work and get this promotion, so she could have something to..." I took a deep breath as I tilted my head down.

I felt Jun's hand on my shoulder.

"I know it's been tough for you man..." He said, consoling me. "But the timing's just not right."

I looked up and faced him.

"I just hope you two can work things out somehow." He told me. "I hope the next song you'd sing here in my pub isn't going to be about your heartbreak."

I sighed, not knowing what else to say.

"Though my business will really do well if you sing here, I'd be sad if you two call it quits." He told me, giving my shoulder a pat before he was called by one of his bartenders.

The moment I was left alone, all I could think about was how she looked earlier and how much I regret making her look at me like that.

I don't think she'd be able to forgive me.

***

Like a burning fire set ablaze, I was furious.
My hands were tight on the steering wheel as I fought the sickening feeling behind my chest. My thoughts filled with what happened earlier.

Part of me was sure that Junmyeon was right. What if she broke up with me again this time? I should admit that we weren't like the way we were before. We used to be this fun and carefree couple who were so in love and couldn't even stand not seeing each other for a couple of days.  Now, we fight a lot about so many different things.

We changed, there was no doubt about that. No point denying that there were factors that didn't use to bother us that were starting to matter now. Like how her parents dislike me, it didn't really matter a lot to us before but now...I could feel how hard she worked hard for me to get to their good side. She'd set up dinner meetings with them and I'd end up being fired with their scrutinizing looks.

This was tiring for sure. I love her but her family's just, damn making it a hundred times difficult for the both of us. They never gave me a chance since day one. They never saw me differently once, no matter how hard I try. They just refused to acknowledge that I could be good enough for Sera. That hurt. It hurt my pride too. It hurt her too.

Reaching the parking lot of the building where our apartment was, I suddenly imagined her being comforted by Seungmin. I hammered my hands on the steering wheel in irritation. That guy never stopped lurking around her. He was only so brave because he got Sera's parents to back him up. I knew Sera didn't like him and that I had nothing to worry about but tonight...the way she made it seem like she chose him over me...

But I was an for missing her event and not being there for her!

I leaned my back on the seat as I contemplated stuff. Why did she have to go with him? It made me feel like garbage. I knew I hurt her but...

"It's funny how he got here thirty minutes earlier before the show even started while you just got here."

, I should've just declined my boss' invitation. But damn it, if I did...someone would've snatched that promotion away from me.

Did I really prefer that promotion over her? No. I did it for her. It was for both of us. It might have sounded or seemed selfish but it was for the both of us.

But Damn it Baekhyun, do you really have to miss her exhibition of all things?

 

***

Walking inside the door, I immediately caught sight of her in the living room. I held my breath as I wasn't expecting her to be here. Frankly, though, I didn't know what to expect.

However, now that I saw her sitting on the floor next to the glass table while she leaned on the couch and a glass of wine in her hand, I suddenly feel nervous. She wasn't the type to drink alone like this. By the looks of the amount of wine remaining in the bottle, she just started.

She already got changed. She sat there clad in her favorite sleepwear which were my shirt and pajamas. I was sure sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter