fin.

War

The cold breeze travelled through the valley of Camp Half Blood. It was a usual chilly night after a long day of training in the camp. The breeze felt even better knowing that we didn't experience problems inside the camp for quite a long time. No ugly monsters to deal with, no spies to worry about; my favorite place felt safer. Well at least, for now.

In an hour, curfew hours will start and the patrols for tonight will start roaming around the camp to check curfew violators. But here am I, chilling outside Cabin Seven, the cabin for Apollo's children. I don't intend to be one of those violators, though; I never will. I've always followed the rules and protocols inside the camp. I'm given the title 'Obedient Kim' for a reason, you know.

Usually, right after the dinner at the dining pavilion and after the Apollo cabin sang songs, I'd go straight to Cabin Seven, get changed, and go to sleep. But tonight, I felt like spending my spare time before the curfew hours by feeling the cool night breeze outside the cabin, with my violin.

I love music just as how my dad, Apollo, and my other half-siblings do. Any type of music! Be it ballad, indie, pop, jazz, rock, metal rock—any genre. But right now, I wanted to play some indie music. See, there's this song that I often sing in my head for the past few days.

I strummed my violin (yes, strum), like a normal guitar, like how the singer of the song did it, and started singing—not too loud yet not too soft, "I wanna go and fight in this fight. I wanna be, be more than just a child..."

I kept on singing the song. It's called 'War', and it was sung by an indie band called Ben&Ben. This song, I think it was quite simple and short, but I liked the lyrics so much. It's about... wanting to go to a 'war' but there are fears that keep on pulling you back. Yet, your emotions, the big fire in your heart that keeps you on wanting to go to this war, the urge to fight in this certain fight—they were stronger than the fears that tried to held you back. The meaning was strong, full of bravery, at least for me, but the melody and the tune of the song was very soft and very calming. I like how contrasting the song is.

As I played the last few chords of the song, there stands a lady who was watching me the whole time, and I didn't even notice because I was so focused with playing the violin. She clapped and gave me a smile. She sat beside me and said, "Apollo's children... very impressive in everything. Archery, music, arts, and even in healing."

I felt blood rush to my face. My face was obviously and visibly very red even if the place is dark, even if I can't see it myself. I mean, I have a very fair skin. I've got the lightest skin shade in the whole camp, so it'll be obvious when I'm blushing. And this lady right in front of me... her beauty is out of this world. It's no doubt she's a daughter of Aphrodite. There's no way I won't blush when she compliments me. But no, I do not like her. "Thanks, Sana," I simply replied with a shy smile.

Fine, I do like her.

"Play the song one more time. I like it." Once again, ladies and gentlemen, this astonishingly beautiful lady sitting right beside me showed her beautiful smile.

I fell harder.

I swear. Her smile is just... the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. I'm not kidding. Aphrodite's other daughters are also very, very beautiful. But, her beauty's just... above everything else. Very ethereal. I don't personally know the goddess of beauty and love, but I feel like Sana is her favorite daughter. I feel like, the goddess put so much effort to make her, as if she made her with her own bare hands perfectly, with no mistakes.

Sana is just... too beautiful. Too out of this world. Too out of my league.

I played and sang the song once again, for her.

I wanna go
and fight in this fight
I wanna be,
be more than just a child

I want to go and tell her how much I like her. Not just because she's beautiful. I like her personality so much. She is carefree. She radiated the brightest energy and it powers me up every single time. She's also kind. She's always all ears. She wore the prettiest smile ever. She's just... too beautiful. Inside and out. I like everything about her—I like her so much and I want to let her know that I'm ready to fight every damn fight for her. I want her to know that I want to do everything to her. I want to stop being a kid, a coward.

All these fears are around me
They're coming to get me
But emotions, they follow
Words of tomorrow
If you know this, you'll get it
You probably felt it today
Today, here

I wanted to confess my love for her. But, there goes my fears—I had fears. I was afraid to be rejected. I was afraid of the pain I'll get after getting rejected. My emotions, they're very strong. The urge to tell her how much I like her was strong. But unlike what the song said, it wasn't stronger than the fears I had.

Besides, my fears isn't the only thing I'm thinking about. Facts still exists. These facts that I'm talking about... it's painful for me, but a bliss for Sana.

The fact that I'm talking about here is the fact that she likes someone else.

It's my half-sister, Tzuyu. She's also Apollo's daughter. She's the ace of the cabin. Most times when there are camp activities, she led our cabin. She's the best in archery that my skills looked like total when I compare mine to hers. You know the Hunters of Goddess Artemis? Those girls are the best archers I know, better than most of Apollo's kids, and Tzuyu's as good as them. She also has a nice voice, a good musician. Not only that, if it's your first time meeting her, you would think she's a daughter of Aphrodite. She's very beautiful, just like the other children of the goddess, just like Sana. But for me, Sana's beauty can never be passed nor reached by anyone in the whole camp. Tzuyu's talents never fail to amaze me. She has everything, she has it all.

Including Sana.

I envied my half-sister, of course. But she's still a family member. Families are messy, but I don't want any feud to happen. I still love her, as a sister and as a friend.

Besides why would I get mad at her? Sana likes her, and I can't get mad at my sister because of that. I just think that... it's too petty. I can't just go and tell them that they can't like each other because I like the lady. Just like what I've said, I don't want to cause any fight.

Halfway to the song, I felt something on my right shoulder. It's Sana. She fell asleep. I looked over at her face and smiled. As I keep on staring at her, I found her even more beautiful. I fell deeper. My heart ached, but I was happy, too.

I'm okay with this. I'm okay even if it's just like this. As long as we're both okay.

The song contradicts what I feel right now. The song talked about being brave, yet here am I, being a coward. But I guess, that's really how it is supposed to be.

The song ended. The patrols for tonight will be roaming in a few minutes. In this very moment, I must wake Sana up and send her to the Aphrodite cabin. But, she seemed like she had a very good sleep with my shoulder as her pillow.

I smiled. I decided that I'll spend the few minutes before the curfew here, outside the Apollo cabin, with Sana sleeping on my shoulder. I know I was taking advantage of the moment, but I don't know. I felt like... being selfish for once. I wanted to feel happy for myself. I wanted to think that Sana was mine. And so, I did.

Tonight, I thought about it a lot. I thought, ah, I'm too unlucky. It's unfortunate that my first love is, well, unrequited. I guess, this is the war that I'm supposed to go. A war against myself. I'll have to defeat the selfish thought of wanting to be with her for the rest of my life, and hurt myself. That's the only way.

I came to a conclusion that the best I could do is to cherish the love that I have for her and wish her the best in life.

I'll love her today, I'll love her more tomorrow, and I'll love her the most the days after it. Even if I'm in pain.