let's get away tonight

red fusion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tags: fluff, strangers to lovers, developing relationships

First notes: aka the seo dan!irene x seungjun!wendy spinoff we didn’t need (not really) but i just wanted to see wendy in a motorcycle wearing a leather jacket and irene helplessly falling in love w her. Enjoy!

Bonus Track: drive all night by joan // nothing’s gonna stop us now by starship (oldie, i know)

 

There is a sonorous rumble in the air, revving once, twice, and tires that screech flat against the asphalt. Joohyun walks down the front steps of the building with caution, her eyes squinted at the newcomer. Intrigued gasps slowly start to surround her.

A girl is grinning cheekily from the curb, perched on top of a black motorcycle with a hand swiping up at her visor.

“Hi,” she says. “Wanna go for a ride?”

Of course. Joohyun rolls her eyes because really, the only way to get the girl to leave is to leave with her. Seungwan has always been like this⁠—rather persistent from the get-go, planting her foot firmly onto the ground until Joohyun realized that she would undoubtedly hang outside of the gates until she budged.

She doesn’t even understand why Seungwan does all of this. They don’t go to the same school. They certainly aren’t friends either.

The first time they had met, and Joohyun doesn’t really want to recall this because it is unsettling, she had been brisk walking away from three men who took too much interest in her while walking down the shopping district.

Seungwan was coincidentally getting out of a ramen shop when she bumped into her, and she had easily intervened when she sensed Joohyun’s unease.

The second time was still a coincidence. Joohyun was on her way to school when the car broke down in the middle of the street. Her class was starting in ten minutes, and Seungwan just happened to be passing by in her motorcycle. She had offered to give her a ride with a spark of recognition in her eyes since she was going the same way.

In retrospect, Joohyun thinks that she shouldn’t have trusted so easily, but Seungwan didn’t seem dangerous at all. She also didn’t want to get a tardy pass.

“Once is a mistake, twice is a coincidence, and thrice is a pattern,” Sooyoung had told her once, quoting an old novel or something.

Ever since those days, Seungwan just coincidentally kept popping up whenever Joohyun conveniently needed the help, as much as the other girl swears she isn’t following her.

With her leather jacket, black gloves and helmet, and a motorcycle that looked too big for a small girl like her, Seungwan came, and Joohyun scowled, and it didn’t take long for them to build this obscure little acquaintanceship between them that consisted of glares (more on Joohyun’s end) and flirty pick-up lines (more on Seungwan’s end).

Seungwan just does it—ceaselessly shows up outside the gates of her private university with her big, black motorcycle and wearing tight-fitting leather clothes that should be prohibited.

“You should really stop showing up like this,” Joohyun reprimands, wry and dry, but her hands are reaching out to take the spare helmet anyways. “My parents will know about it someday.”

Seungwan just grins under her helmet, cheeks full and pressing against the insides of it. She pats the space behind her on the motorcycle. “Yeah, someday.”

Joohyun knows she shouldn’t be tolerating this kind of behavior, but she also can’t stand the way the other girls gossip behind her back in that wretched school, so she ends up choosing the lesser evil between the two.

She could use some time away from here. Why not use this to her advantage?

“You are getting me back before five,” she reminds the girl sternly as she gingerly steps on the footpeg. But she wobbles, much to her chagrin, and Seungwan reaches out to steady her with hands that increasingly fluster the inner workings of her brain whether she likes it or not.

Joohyun swats the hands away with a growing frown as soon as she is stable enough to help herself. She sits on the elevated seat behind the girl, ignoring the heat that is creeping up on her face at the act earlier.

“Five… hm.” Seungwan has a mischievous twinkle in her eyes as she makes sure Joohyun’s helmet is locked tightly, her hand swiping her visor down to conceal them but Joohyun didn’t miss it.

“Five in the morning?”

She barely has the time to react because Seungwan is already revving the motorcycle up. Joohyun yelps at the insane rumble of plastic and leather under her, because—well, she’s Joohyun.

“Hold tight, unnie. I like to go fast.”

Joohyun scoffs, not falling for the girl’s sly tactics with a roll of her eyes at Seungwan’s back. She places her hands on the handlebar behind her seat, her bag on the space between their bodies.

“You wish.”

 

-

 

Seungwan talks about how she is going to university next year.

Joohyun gives her a quick glance, sitting beside her on the bench right in front of the beach. The girl had taken off her jacket, offered it for her to wear but she declined. They are now just watching the skies feather between pink and purple and orange.

“Really,” she deadpans. “Good for you.”

Seungwan smiles, and Joohyun looks away.

“What’s university life like?”

, she wants to say, but she bites her tongue to Seungwan’s inquisitive look.

“Depends on what university you go to, I guess.”

“What if I go to yours?”

Joohyun snorts, loud and unabashed, only because it escapes before she can even tamper it down.

“Seriously?”

“Right, sorry. I almost forgot you’re, like, insanely rich. I could never fit in.”

“Drama queen. And I’m telling you not to even think about it because that school is horrible.”

Seungwan stares at her like she expects her to elaborate, so she does.

She talks about the school, and it was only supposed to be about the school, but when Seungwan is looking at her so intently while listening to every word, making her feel so seen—before she even knows it, Joohyun has already prattled away half of her autobiography to this beguiling, ambiguous half-stranger next to her.

And oddly enough, it doesn’t stir her one bit.

Seungwan’s smile is soft and comely under pastel pink skies when she hands her the spare helmet once more, her leather jacket back around her shoulders hugging her curves. It is 15 minutes before 5PM.

Joohyun takes it with a frown.

“What time do you get out this Friday?” Seungwan asks while mounting her bike. “Let’s go cruising again.”

“What makes you think I’d even agree to that?”

She grins. “Because I didn’t ask.”

Joohyun rolls her eyes, gets on the seat behind her.

“I don’t advise putting your bag there, by the way. The seat is narrow and it might fall off when we swerve.”

“I can see through you, Son Seungwan. I know what you’re trying to do.”

“Fine by me! But you can’t say I didn’t tell you when your bag falls. Buckle up!”

“Buckle up? First of all, this is a motorcycle, and second of all—”

The bike does a small wheelie, and Joohyun yelps, and needless to say, she ends up heeding the girl’s advice anyway.

She wraps her arms awkwardly around Seungwan’s waist like a lifeline, but she chooses to ignore that. She doesn’t want to fall off and die. That’s all.

“3PM,” she squeaks when Seungwan swerves onto a clearer lane from the last.

“What was that?” The biker’s yell is muffled against her helmet and the crosswind.

“3PM!” Joohyun yells just as rawly through an open visor, pressing herself closer to Seungwan’s back to make sure she gets it.

“3PM, got it! And I like it when you press yourself to me like this!”

Joohyun’s screeches deafen into the wind, her burning face cooled instantly, and Seungwan’s muffled laughter rings in her ears.

 

-

 

“You.”

Joohyun’s lips are pursed into a thin line with hands that tight

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter