Chapter One

Lucky

 

Jongin smiled fondly as he watched his practice freak dance through the dead of night by the window. She was always like this, hard-working, determined, talented, feisty, beautiful.

 

Jongin made his presence known as he went inside the practice room. She was so focused that she didn't even notice him coming inside.

 

"Hey, practice freak."

 

She didn't listen.

 

"Seulgi." He tried again.

 

He frowned as he walked over to the speakers to turn off the music. 

 

"Jongin, can't you see I'm trying to practice?"

 

"You've been here for hours, Seul."

 

"I don't care, just please turn the music back on."

 

Jongin refused to do so as he took out a towel and a water bottle from his bag, and made his way to Seulgi.

 

"I'm fine."

 

He opened the water bottle, made her take it, and wrapped the towel around her neck.

 

"I said I'm fine, Jongin--"

 

"Just take it."

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes as he proceeded to wipe her sweat off her face. Why is he here anyway? To watch her fail? Is he here to rub her failure in her face? She tried to get him to stop wiping her face, but then she was met with a frown. 

 

He then moved to put a towel under the back of her shirt, and looked at her with worry. Has she been taking care of herself? Does she eat? Is she getting enough rest? Jongin had millions of questions, and he knew something was wrong.

 

"Seulgi, it's midnight."

 

"I know."

 

There was an odd pause as she gulped down the water. The atmosphere was awkward and she wanted to go practice, and leave the situation in front of her immediately.

 

"Seulgi you need to take care of yourself more, you've lost a lot of weight."

 

"That's good."

 

He was just trying to look out for her and she gave him half-assed answers. Jongin decided that he has had enough of her attitude.

 

As Seulgi turned away to walk over to the speakers, Jongin turned her around and placed his hands over her shoulders.

 

"Seulgi, please--"

 

Seulgi kept quiet as she looked down at her shoes. She bit her lip and clenched her fists as she tried hard not to cry.

 

"Hey, look at me."

 

Seulgi started fidgeting her fingers while Jongin lifted her head up to make her look at him. Jongin knew she had a problem. She wouldn't be giving him an attitude if she didn't. 

 

"What's the problem?"

 

Seulgi pursed her lips as she tried to come up with an excuse. She smiled brightly and was met with Jongin's hard stare.

 

"I just wanted to practice, Ni. That's all."

 

"Seulgi." Jongin warned.

 

"I-I have a test tomorrow."

 

"And?"

 

Seulgi couldn't take it anymore. She looked down as she broke into tears. She heard Jongin sigh and felt his arms around her, pulling her into a hug.

 

"A-am I really ugly? Am I fat? The t-teachers told me to lose weight."

 

He rested his chin on her head as she returned the embrace whilst going on and on about her imperfections.

 

And he listened to every word.

 

"I don't think I look good when I dance, Ni. They said I l-look weird."

 

"You don't look weird, trust me."

 

She sulked and spoke in a small voice, "Easy for you to say, you're going to debut." 

 

"And so are you."

 

"I need to do well tomorrow, I need to pass."

 

He took her face in his hands while her arms were still on his torso.

 

"I need to debut, Jongin."

 

"You are one of the most talented people in this company, Seulgi. It's their loss if they decide to let you go."

 

"But the others look really pretty. I might need to get surgery on my eyes. I mean--look at me."

 

"You look beautiful, Seulgi."

 

She buried her face on his chest and he held her tighter.

 

"What if I'm not cut out for this? Hell, I can't even get my voice out! You've heard Wendy sing, I'm nothing compared to her!"

 

She paused as she tried to stifle a sob.

 

"If I can't have this, what am I going to do? I'm not good for anything else."

 

He listened as her paranoia manifested dramatically.

 

"Krystal already debuted. Our friends already debuted. And now, you're going to debut. I'm going to be stuck in this hellhole practicing the same songs for God knows what!"

 

He caressed her hair as he listened and waited for her to stop rambling about her worries. He waited for her to calm down before he spoke again.

 

"Do you remember when the teachers scolded me for my voice?"

 

"But I like your voice."

 

"Exactly. We all start somewhere, and what do you mean you're not perfect, you're Seulgi!"

 

"Ahhh Jongin." Seulgi whined.

 

"Listen, Taeyeon isn't perfect, Leeteuk isn't perfect, our seniors aren't perfect, neither am I, and here we are. It's not always about perfection Seulgi, you know that."

 

"I-I'm just scared."

 

"When we debut, we'll get to make tons of people happy. A lot of people will go to see us perform. There is nothing to be afraid of, alright? You'll make it, so trust yourself."

 

"If I do get to debut, what If people won't like me? What if I'm too big for their liking?"

 

"Stop stressing about your weight, you're not fat. You need to eat more or else you'll pass out!"

 

"Whatever, dad."

 

Seulgi looked up at him, her chin on his chest.

 

"And your eyes,"

 

He looked at her as he wiped her tears away. 

 

"They command my attention."

 

He had always loved her eyes, it wouldn't be the same if she alters them. They were sharp, intense, fragile. The prettiest eyes sparkle from the inside out, and Seulgi's did exactly that.

 

"You have such pretty eyes, don't change them. You don't know how beautiful you look when your eyes burn with passion when you sing, when you dance, when you perform."

 

Seulgi felt as if the whole world was taken off her shoulders. Jongin has always had a way with words. He never failed to cheer her up and his words always made their way into her heart.

 

"The whole world may not know your worth, but I do."

 

"Hmm." She hummed.

 

It was at times like these when Seulgi wanted time to stop. Jongin saw her at her worst moments, and not once did he ever judge her and made her feel like her feelings were invalid.

 

"I'm going to see you sing in front of all these people, and I'm going to be so proud."

 

"I love you."  

 

"I'm going to see you successful, promise me you won't give up."

 

"I promise."

 

"Stop doubting yourself, 'kay?"

 

Seulgi smiled and gave him a small nod.

She then places her arms around his neck and looked him in the eye.

 

"I love you." 

 

Jongin sighed and pinched her cheeks, amused. She was being very adorable right now. 'This woman, I swear to God, will be the death of me.' He thought.

 

"I heard you the first time, Seul."

 

He bent down to give her a kiss on the forehead.

 

"I'm so proud of you."

 

And a kiss on both cheeks.

 

"Really?"

 

"Really. Now stop crying and let's go get something to eat. Does a quick stop to 7/11 sound good?"

 

"Mm-hmm. I want some ramen."

 

They got their things off the table, turned the electronics off and left the room. Jongin took her bag, wore it and gave her a kiss on the top of her head while they made their way to the nearest 7/11 store.

 

"I love you, too."

 

She was lucky, very lucky indeed.