Chapter 1

Love, Flowers

The figure stirred in her sleep as rays of sunlight trickled in through the blinds.  

A few minutes passed before the blaring sound of alarm broke the silence in the room.

The sleeping figure jolted up almost immediately as she whipped her head to glance the calendar that was hung on the wall.

Today’s date was circled in pink.

Right, she thought to herself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Making her way into the shop, the bell above the door tinkled.

The lady behind the counter smiled upon recognizing the child-like customer.

“Hi Taeyeon, here to get your flowers?”

“Yeah.”

“Just give me a sec I’ll bring them out.”

“That’ll be great, thank you.”

“Tiffany sure is lucky to have you as her girlfriend.” The florist commented as she disappeared to the back.

Taeyeon could only smile shyly.

It should be the other way round, Taeyeon couldn’t be more proud to have the eye smiling girl as her girlfriend.

She always joke that Tiffany is like a flower girl, with the long skirts and everything.

Tiffany also loves pastel colors, magic mint, lavender, and pale aqua, you name it. But above all, baby pink tops her list of ultimate favorite.

So, Taeyeon always made sure that her baby breath’s bouquet would be at least 80% pink and the remaining, a mixture.

Taeyeon scanned around the shop and her eyes landed on a particular plant, the cactus.  

Well, long story short that was the very first “flower” she gave Tiffany.

“Ha…Happy Valentine’s Fany-ah.” Taeyeon stuttered, a pot of mini cactus rested on her outstretched hands.

Tiffany received a fair share of roses and chocolates from her previous relationships but a cactus? That was definitely a first for her.

Tiffany stared straight at Taeyeon but the latter could only lower her gaze, choosing to stare at the ground.

“Aren’t you suppose to give roses on Valentines?” She teased.

“Uhm...Well...” Taeyeon mentally cursed herself for choosing a cactus. AND IT’S NOT EVEN PINK!

“I...I wanted to surprise you with pink roses bu...but…” Tiffany captured her lips before she could finish her sentence.

“Tae-Tae, you’re so cute when you blush.”

Taeyeon’s face flushed a deeper red and she so desperately wish that the earth would open up and swallow her whole right there and then.

 “Thank you Taeyeon-ah. I’ll take good care of them. Happy Valentine’s to you too.”

And she handed a box of handmade chocolates to Taeyeon, who immediately squealed like a kid.   

She was so absorbed in taking a walk down the memory lane that she did not notice the lady calling out for her.

“Taeyeon?”

“Oh…Sorry I was just…” Taeyeon mumbled in embarrassment

“It’s okay dear,” the florist dismissed it with a wave of her hand, “your flowers are ready.”

Taeyeon inspected the bouquet before placing a $100 bill on the counter.

“Thank you so much for always arranging them so beautifully, Tiffany would totally fall in love with me again.”  Taeyeon joked.

 The florist giggled, “You take care alright? And send Tiffany my regards.”

“Have a nice day.” She bowed slightly before exiting the store.

Placing the flowers carefully on shotgun, she drove off to her next destination.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She parked her car albeit a little further, choosing to take her time walking.   

The wind caressed her cheeks as she strolled along the familiar stoned pathway, inhaling the scent of citrus mixed with mint.

Her footsteps came to a halt when she spotted the familiar figure.

 “Yah Hwang Miyoung, you do remember what day it is today right? I won’t forgive you if you don’t.” 

Without receiving any reply, she continued,

“Anyway…do you remember the time we first got to our house? You wanted me to carry you bridal style all the way inside because that’s what they did in the movies.” She paused for a bit, relieving the bits and pieces of memories they both shared.

 “And on the same night we basically did it on every single floor of the house. Gosh… we were so young and… I guess.”

She chuckled at the memory.

A few minutes passed before Taeyeon lowered herself and place the bouquet of baby breath’s beside the headstone.

“Happy Anniversary Boo, I hope you’re happy,”

She shifted her position such that her back is resting on the stone.

The defenses she built up almost broke when a lone tear escape her eyelids. The pain resurfaced like an open wound.

 She took a deep breath before wiping it away with the back of her hand.

Tiffany would not want to see me like this.

“I miss you every day.”