Maybe I Like You More

Chocolates & You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Inhaling in a deep breath, trying to calm the nerves. After all, today was the first day at school. Breathing heavily through her nose and stepped inside the classroom. "Class, you have new classmate, please settle down.." Their teacher addressed everyone. 


"Please, introduce yourself." The teacher told her.


"I-I'm Myoui Mina..." she said timidly as she bowed to the class. “Hello Mina.” The class unanimously replied back to her in a monotone.


Her teacher scanned the classroom, looking for a seat for the new student. “You may take the seat at the vacant chair.” She pointed towards the back of the room.


Relief washed over Mina when she realized where she was pointing. She was thankful it was the back of the classroom. It would mean less attention towards her. 


~~

Mina put her books away as the school bell rang indicating the start of their lunch. When she turned to grab another book, she was greeted with the sight of two girls walking towards her.

'Please don't -' 

“Hey..” One of the girls approaching greeted her with a friendly tone. She stretched out her hand before Mina for a handshake. "I'm Nayeon, I'm the class president here." The girl gave her a beaming wide smile. Instead of introducing herself, Mina bit the bottom of her lip, focusing her gaze on the desk.


“Oh...Okay…” Nayeon drew back her hand, slightly hurt. She looked to her left, asking her another friend for a help.


“Um… I’m Momo.” Another one said, attempting to break the awkwardness among them. 


Mina gulped. She was never comfortable with introductions that she always ended up avoiding eye contact. 

“So, where are you from Mina?” Nayeon tried to make another friendly approach. Mina sunk herself into her seat. She felt very uncomfortable right now. She kept her gaze on the desk. Nayeon turned to look at Momo again. The latter just shrugged her shoulders.


“Want to eat lunch with us?” Momo asked.

“T-thank you… but I’d rather stay alone.” Mina answered in a small whisper. It didn’t sound rude. Her delicate tone just showed her shy side. She just wanted to be left alone in peace. 


“Well, if you need anything Mina, just let us know. We're willing to help you out, okay?” Nayeon kindly said. She understood Mina's desire to want to keep to herself.

The two girls walked away, leaving Mina to her thoughts. 


"Maybe I'll just go to sleep later so they don't bother me..."


~~
Mina hunched over and laid the right side of her face on the cool, hard surface of the desk. Her eyes closed and sleeping peacefully while the class is on-going. No one is letting the teacher know it. 


Several hours later, she can hear someone calling her. “Hey.” It was a distant voice, but she chose to ignore it. 


“Wake up.” A persistent tone then she feels a shake. A hand, shaking her shoulder lightly.

“Hey!” Another shake. The voice was louder and the shake was slightly harder.

Mina was about to say, “Five more minutes,” but didn’t as soon as she realized where she was. She sat up straight and gasped. She looked around the classroom. It was empty.
Except for the girl next to her. "Hi."

Mina said nothing. 


"I wasn't sure if you wanted to sleep more, but seeing how school ended an hour ago, I thought I should wake you up." The unknown girl said delicately.


Again, Mina said nothing and look at the girl with unreadable expression. “I’m sorry. Was I... not supposed to wake you up?” 


“It's fine. Thank you… uhm-“ Mina whispered.

The unknown girl broke into a megawatt smile. “Dahyun.. I’m Dahyun...”

Mina did not respond. She looked at the wall clock to avoid Dahyun's gaze. The time caught her attention. Mina gasped again. She would have to run to make it to the bus stop. Quickly, she grabbed her back pack with her right hand, stood up and strapped it over her shoulder. Dahyun stepped back and watched with amusement at Mina's actions.

“Thank you again for waking me up.” Mina bowed and hurriedly ran out the door.

“That was awkward but cute..” Dahyun muttered to herself. She dug into her pocket with her right hand and pulled out a chocopie in her uniform blazer.


“Oh well. I might did save someone's life this day.” Dahyun said as she unraveled the chocolate and popped it into . 


~~
Mina yawned as their teacher continued her lecture. She tapped her fingers on the desk with her left hand. She had her right arm propped up on the desk with her head resting in her palm. Her gaze remained on the window as her teacher continued her lecture. She tried to keep herself awake by tapping on the desk and counting the clouds in her head.

It wasn’t working very well.

Eventually, she gave up the impossible task. She laid her head down and slowly closed her eyes.

~~
A distant voice reached her ears once again and felt a little tug at her arm. Instinctively, Mina shut her eyes tightly in an attempt to go back to sleep. The voice slightly louder called out again to Mina.

Now she felt herself being shaken by the owner of the voice, she assumed. 

'Why couldn't this person just leave me alone?' She grumbled in her thoughts.

Deciding to give the person a piece of her own mind, she sat up in her seat and opened her eyes only to be met with the sight of the girl who waked her up yesterday, smiling at her.


The words died in as she watched the girl take a seat in front of her. Mina's eyes darted to the wall clock.


“Is it a bad idea to wake you up at an earlier time than yesterday?” Dahyun asked softly.

“It’s fine.” Mina whispered, avoiding eye contact. Dahyun smiled softly, Mina saw it in the corner of her eye.

“That’s good. I was a little worried since you seemed to be in a rush yesterday.”

Mina said nothing in response. Instead, she straightened her uniform and skirt. She grabbed her backpack.

“Are you leaving already?” Dahyun asked in a little sad tone. Mina nodded.

“Is this my thank-you?” Dahyun joked with a chuckle. Mina felt embarrassed for not saying it earlier. "Thank you.."


“Would you like to chat with me as a thank-you gift?”

“No thank-you.” Mina answered.

“Awww! Come on, come sit and chat with me.”

Mina glanced at the clock again. She had a few minutes to spare before the bus arrived.


“Please…” Dahyun pouted at her. “Okay.” She set her backpack back down onto the floor.


Dahyun dug into her pocket and pulled out a chocopie. “Would you like some chocolate?” She held it out for Mina. Mina shook her head. “No thank you.”


Dahyun just smiled and then unwrapping it. She munched it and chewed slowly. Mina shifted her gaze outside instead.

Dahyun also turned to face the window. She swallowed her chocolate and attempted to start a conversation. “It’s beautiful day, isn’t it?”

Mina just nodded again. Awkward silence filled the room. Dahyun turned away from the window and played with the red wrapper.

“Are you new here?”

“Yes.”

“How do you like the school?”

“It’s okay.” Mina answered then giving a glance at the clock. 

“Look, I have to go to back to home. I'll be missing my bus” Mina grabbed her backpack and abruptly stood up.

Dahyun just smiled at her. "Oh, okay sure.. Goodbye.”

Mina replied nothing and just rushed out of the door. Dahyun turned around, facing the window to watch the sky again. Smiling as ever, "I'm alone again with my chocopie wrapper."


~~

“Made any friends yet?” Her mother asked, while eating their dinner.

Mina stopped midway with scooping her soup. She furrowed her eyebrows together and thought back to the day’s events.

Was Dahyun a friend now since they shared a brief conversation?

Mina shook her head.

Of course not.

“No.”

~~
'Is she sleeping again today?' Dahyun thought to herself as she stood in front of the sleeping girl then stood to the left of the desk.

 

It amused Dahyun how the girl seemed to always sleep in the same position. Right side of her face on the desk, right arm laid straight with her right hand dangling off the top edge of the desk and left arm on top of the desk with her left hand curled up in a fist.

Dahyun placed her hand on the sleeping figure’s shoulder and shook it lightly.

“Hey.”

The sleeping figure did not move. She had not expected that. She crouched down to get a better view of the girl’s face.

“Hey. Wak-“ Dahyun stopped talking once she set her eyes to the girl’s face. She had not expected what she saw.

A light giggle escaped her lips.

“Cute, make me want to take a picture but  too bad, I can't..." Dahyun pouted. She take a seat in the desk table, facing to the sleeping figure.

She pulled out her chocopie and ate silently while staring at the girl. "At least, you stayed and be with me for a little while. We're not alone now, chocopie." Dahyun mutters while devouring her chocolate.


**
Surprisingly, Mina did not wake up to the sound of Dahyun's voice. She woke up by herself. She glanced up at the clock.


She looked around the classroom, expecting to see Dahyun but she did not.

After blinking a few times, her senses started to kick in. She could feel the sticky drool on her face.

“Gross.” she murmured to herself as she wiped her chin with the back of her right hand.

It wasn’t until after she was done wiping her face that she realized a white handkerchief was tied to her hand. She turned her hand over a couple of times, examining the white cloth. 


As she turned her hand over, something caught her attention in the corner of her eye. She set her hand down and looked down at the top left corner of her desk. She blinked a few more times as she stared at the object.

It was a chocopie. 

~~
Mina folded and unfolded the white handkerchief for the 25 times while waiting for her first period to end. She made sure to thoroughly wash it few times last night. After all, she did use it to clean the drool on her face yesterday.


She was positive it was Dahyun's. The chocolate gift on her desk had given her the clue.

However, a small part of her was hoping it wasn't Dahyun. Whoever had tied it to her hand had obviously seen the drool.

Mina blushed at the thought. How embarrassing.

~~
In between class periods, Mina stood outside of her next class, hoping to catch a glimpse of Dahyun. She wanted to confirm if the handkerchief was truly hers. But luck wasn't on her side because she can't see the pale girl around. She wanted to ask anyone but she knows she can't.

~~
She tried again during lunchtime, wandering throughout the hallways. But she just couldn't seem to find her. She walked down an empty hallway, glancing around.

"Hey." Mina turned around. Nayeon and Momo are standing behind her.

"Are you lost?" Nayeon asked kindly. Mina shook her head.

'Maybe I can ask them about Dahyun'

Mina frowned at the thought. 'No, I only know Dahyun's first name. There could be a lot of girls named Dahyun in this school.

Nayeon and Momo looked at her curiously as she frowned.

"What's your next class?" Nayeon asked her.

"Gym..." Mina whispered. "Oh, if you're looking for it, it's just down that hall." Nayeon turned around and pointed towards the specific hall.

She just nodded and muttered a small, "Thanks."

'But that's not what I'm looking for...'

~~
Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Mina is fidgeting on her seat. Curiosity was getting the best of her and she didn't understand why.

She clutched onto the handkerchief tightly, praying that this subject would end faster.

For once, she did want school to be over so she could go home and not interact with the others. She wanted it to be over so she could see Dahyun.

~~
Mina counted the minutes tick by as she waited after school. She had been waiting for 25 minutes.

What time does Dahyun usually show up?

She furrowed her eyebrows together, pondering the thought. Is she going to show up today? The thought crossed her mind.


What if she doesn’t show up? She clutched  the handkerchief tighter. It's possible. After all, Dahyun didn't wake her up yesterday. 

Despair running inside her stomach.

What am I thinking? Why would she show up? It's not like she purposely showed up just to wake me up, didn't she?

Mina bit the bottom of her lip.

How stupid.

Mina stuffed the handkerchief into her pocket. She grabbed her backpack and hastily stood up. She walked to the doorway and reached for the handle but before she could grab it, the door slip open.

"Are you leaving already?"

Mina could not utter any word. She stared at Dahyun and remained as stiff as a board.

Dahyun glanced at her wristwatch. "Hmm... It's only 3:30. Would you like to chat with me again for a bit?" 

Mina's mouth agape, could only nod in response. Dahyun smiled brightly, "Great! Let's sit then." 


Mina nodded again and turned around. They walked towards the back of the room, both taking their usual seats. 

As usual, silence enveloped them for a bit Mina straightened her skirt, keeping her gaze on the desk again.


"Would you like some chocolate?" Dahyun offered to Mina.

"No thank you." Mina muttered again.

Dahyun just smiled again like always and started to unravel the chocolate in hand.

"Umm... The chocolate yesterday-" Mina trailed off. Dahyun looked up at Mina and grinned widely.

"Did you like it?"

Mina nodded, perhaps too eagerly. "It was delicious."

"That's good to hear! I was hoping you would." Dahyun bite to it and started to chew. 

Mina waited for her to finish eating. Once she saw Dahyun swallow the chocolate, she took the handkerchief out of her pocket.

"This is yours, right?"

A wider grin appeared on Dahyun's face. "It is."

Mina blushed instantly. The girl just let out a soft chuckle, as if she could read Mina's mind. "Don't worry. I won't tell anyone about it. It's normal..."

Mina remained silent and blushed deeper.

"I actually found it really cute." Dahyun added.

Mina held out the handkerchief to Dahyun. She desperately wanted to change the subject. "I washed it a few times. Thank-" 

"Please stop saying 'thank you.' It seems like half of our conversations consist of it." 

"O-okay." 

Dahyun took the cloth and tucked it into her pocket. Curiosity started to creep into Mina again.

"How did you know I was right-handed?"

"I noticed that you grab your backpack with your right hand." 

"Ah..." 

Mina glanced at the clock. She bit her lip. Is it really already time to go?

She glanced back to Dahyun who's been looking at her with a small smile. Mina hesitantly said, "I have to go."

Dahyun just nodded. Mina grabbed her backpack and stood up. She made it halfway to the door when Dahyun called out for her.

"Wait."

Mina stood still.

"What's your name?"

"Why?"

Dahyun sends out another lip tearing smile at her as she answered, "Of course! I should have your name when you cross into my mind everyday. I can't just named you as 'the cute girl who always sleeps after school'. I need your name."


Mina stood frozen in her spot, heart's beating like crazy. She just whispered out, "My name is Mina."


Dahyun grins, "Sweet like my chocopie... Take care on your way home, Mina. Thank you for the chat."

 

~~
I actually found it cute.

I should have your name instead of calling you 'the cute girl who always sleeps after school'

Sweet like my chocopie


Dahyun's words echoed in Mina's head. She wiped the table harder, trying to erase her mind of such thoughts. She reached the edge of the table and stopped for a second.

Was it ‘cute?’

She shook her head.

It's drool! How could it be 'cute?'

She continued wiping, finishing up her chores. Once she was done, she tucked the chairs back under the table. As she tucked the last chair under, she furrowed her eyebrows together.

But Dahyun found it cute.


~~

"Good afternoon, Mina." Dahyun greeted. Mina nodded groggily.

"Did you have a nic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter