you leave me breathless

you

I remember seeing you for the first time like it was yesterday. You were sitting at the desk behind me on the first day of class, and I didn't even notice you, too eager to sit with my friend. When we began introductions, I made sure to look at each person as they spoke; I had to turn a full 180° to see you. You took my breath away. I had to whip around so quickly and face the opposite direction. You were - and still are - the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.

I thank whatever higher power that I got to be in that class. I ignored whatever feelings I had for you, because I didn't think someone as amazing as you could ever even think about someone like me in that way. I tried to avoid looking at you; it was a small class, and I was afraid you would notice, especially since you sat right behind me.

I went home that day and looked at all your social media. I had never seen such a beautiful smile in all my years of life. I swear, I could have the worst day, and I'm sure that seeing a smile like that would make everything better. The way you smile with your eyes made me feel something I have never felt before. Never in my life had I wanted to know someone more than I wanted to know you.

Weeks went by, and I always kept you at the back of my mind as much as I could. There was no use in daydreaming about someone like you if there was no chance for me. You were far too amazing, far too out of reach. I often wondered if you knew just how stunning you were. Do you know?

And then, on one blessed day, we had a group project. Your friends asked us to join your group and I hoped that I could manage being so close to such a beautiful woman. I know I sound strange, but sincerely, I have never felt this way about anyone before. I've written countless songs, poems, and letters to you that you will never read, never hear, and never know.

I, being the best student that I was, offered to type up the document that we had to send to our professor later. I asked everyone's names, but yours. Instead, I said your whole name out loud, and asked you if it was right. To top it all of, when you asked me how I knew, without thinking, I stupidly said "Oh, I creeped you on social media because you're just so cute." I remember wanting to sink into the ground right then and there. It seemed I could only avoid saying stupid things when I didn't have to talk to you directly. How is it that you somehow took away my ability to connect my brain to my mouth?

After that incident, I tried to talk to you as little as possible. I figured that the damage had already been done, and that you probably thought I was some creep. I thought it best to avoid you so that I wouldn't make you think that I was ever worse than you already did. There was no way I could ever hope to recover. Every now and then, I would catch you looking my way, and I swear my heart would stop.

Even though we don't see each other anymore, I hope you know that I've still held a special place in my heart for you since then. I think back to that time often, and I remember you fondly. You were my first love. I hope our paths will cross again someday.