End (1/2)

Roommate

Kim Jongwoon was a sophomore in SM college, Faculty of Business. He was an introvert who preferred spending his time alone or with his close friend Kim Heechul. His lifestyle consisted of going to a cafe with homey ambiance, enjoying drinks and pastries to his heart's content, taking photos of the cafe decoration, going back to the dorm and watching some interesting movies before going to bed. Peace and tranquility were what he valued the most.

 

Cho Kyuhyun was also a sophomore in SM college, Faculty of Business. He was an extrovert who enjoyed hanging out with his gamer friends. Most of his free time was spent either going out to have a drink or staying up late playing games.In term of gaming, he was a very skilled player and sort of an urban legend. He was also a type of player who occasionally cursed out loud or talked non-stop while he was playing. He hated boredom and valued entertainment.

 

Jongwoon thougt that Kyuhyun was annoying while Kyuhyun thought that Jongwoon was boring. Knowing that they had such a drastic different personalities, both Jongwoon and Kyuhyun did their best to avoid one another. Their first year in college had passed without any issue. Both men enjoyed their lives in their own ways while staying out of the other's way. So, they had never thought that their paths would cross.

 

Until they moved to the second year and realized that they were assigned to share a room.

 

Both Jongwoon and Kyuhyun lived in the college dorm to save money. When they entered their second year, Jongwoon's roommate Lee Donghae and Kyuhyun's roommate Lee Hyukjae somehow ended up together. Not wanting to be separated from their lovers, the newly couple moved out of the dorm to find their own apartment; causing Jongwoon and Kyuhyun to be put together as a new roommate. The dorm manager thought that since Jongwoon and Kyuhyun studied in the same year, same faculty, it was only reasonable to have them share the room. Thus, the dorm manager's misplaced consideration started a war between Jongwoon and Kyuhyun.

 

 

At first, both Jongwoon and Kyuhyun tried to set up rules for living together since they were already a responsible adult. However, their rules were thrown out of the window ever since the first night. As a person who had mild insomnia, Jongwoon needed absolute quiet to be able to sleep but quiet was what Kyuhyun hated the most. Although Kyuhyun did his best to be considered and set the game's brightness at the lowest, he still couldn't stop himself from cursing when the game didn't go as he planned, which ultimately woke Jongwoon up in the process. Jongwoon also did his best to not voice his frustration out since Kyuhyun was obviously trying his hardest to not disturb him. Sadly, many nights of lack of sleep wore him down to the point that just seeing Kyuhyun's back in front of a computer was enough to anger him. Despite all of that, Jongwoon gritted his teeth and continued to endure Kyuhyun as they had to be together for at least a whole year.

 

***********************************

 

One night, Jongwoon came back to the dorm from a long and exhausting day. He had classes for the entire day and all of them were cruel to his brain cells. He didn't want anything more than having a peaceful sleep to recharge his battery. But he was woken up by a sound of Kyuhyun shouting orders to his gaming friend. Normally, Jongwoon would ignore him and just burrowed his head under a pillow. However, tonight was different because he was already in a bad mood to begin with. Finally having enough of his annoying roommate, Jongwoon sat up and a bed lamp. He took his phone from a bedside table and cursed quietly seeing the number 01:34 on the screen. He then texted his best friend asking for help.

 

 

Cloud_Prince: tell me the best way to annoy gamer

Cloud_Prince: esp gamer named Kyuhyun

Cloud_Prince: should I unplug computer?

Galaxy_Idol: calm down

Galaxy_Idol: don't want you dead

Galaxy_Idol: what happened?

Cloud_Prince: my ty roommate make my ty day tier

Cloud_Prince: how many years I'd be in jail if I killed him?

Galaxy_Idol: gosh you're srl pissed off

Galaxy_Idol: iirc, you change roomie only in 2nd semester, right?

Cloud_Prince: yep, I already send the form though

Cloud_Prince: can't wait for that day

Cloud_Prince: but now, I'm gonna wage a war so

Cloud_Prince: any ideas?

Galaxy_Idol: how about you try the bf challenge?

Cloud_Prince: tf is that?

Galaxy_Idol: boyfriend challenge. some stupid trend pp do in sns now

Galaxy_Idol: the challenge is annoying your bf while playing games by walking on them w/o wearing clothes

Cloud_Prince: maybe I should kill you first then Kyuhyun

Galaxy_Idol: hol up! that's not all. there're things like hugging too

Galaxy_Idol: yk, makes them lose focus?

Galaxy_Idol: straddling is popular now

Cloud_Prince: you want me to sit on his lap like I'm his ?

Galaxy_Idol: you ask me how to annoy him, right?

Galaxy_Idol: if you're this annoyed, imagine Kyuhyun being annoyed while losing his game

Cloud_Prince: good idea

Cloud_Prince: brb

Galaxy_Idol: wait, you won't do it, right?

Galaxy_Idol: I was kidding!

Galaxy_Idol: Jongwoon!

.

.

.

"! I said rush to the left flank not forward! Why the hell would you run into their tra- WHAT THE !?"

 

Kyuhyun who was shouting at his teammates yelled loudly when something blocked his screen. It was none other than his roommate Kim Jongwoon. The man appeared out of nowhere and leaned into his field of vision looking unamused. Keeping one hand on the keyboard, Kyuhyun freed his other hand to shove his roommate out of the way. Not only the man didn't budge, but he also invaded more of his personal space. Jongwoon suddenly climbed onto the chair he was sitting and straddled him. Settling down on his lap, his roommate usual calm expression now became more of an annoyance one. Kyuhyun didn't know what had gotten into Jongwoon, but he wouldn't let anyone ruin his game!

 

"What's wrong with you? Get off me!"

"I'm trying to annoy you. Isn't it obvious?"

 

With that said, Jongwoon dropped his head on Kyuhyun's shoulder and hooked his arms behind Kyuhyun's back. God, Kyuhyun was so happy that he didn't turn on the camera. No one but him should witness this embarrassing scene.

 

"Get-off-me!"

"Nope."

 

Kyuhyun spared a time to glance at the screen. He cursed when he saw that his team was on the verge of losing. Damn these stupid folks! Couldn't they do a thing without his order!? Kyuhyun was furious beyond words. What the hell his roommate was doing!? He had always been considerate and careful so he wouldn't disturb the man, but this was what he got in return? A childish and stupid attempt to annoy him? God, Kyuhyun was so happy that he already sent a request form to change a roommate. He couldn't wait for the next semester to come so he wouldn't have to be with Jongwoon ever again! Still, that was a while farther in the future, not the present. Speaking of the present, he couldn't get rid of his roommate and he was about to lose the game. No, he would rather eat his paperworks than admitted losing a game, his favorite game, no less!

 

"You won't get off me, right?"

"Nope."

"Fine. Don't say that I didn't warn you then."

"Huh? What?"

 

Kyuhyun completely abandoned his right hand from the mouse to hold Jongwoon's head in place on his shoulder, making sure that he couldn't block the screen. He continued to play the game using only left hand alternating between the keyboard and mouse, all the while petting his roommate's messy hair to keep him still. At first, Jongwoon struggled trying to get off of Kyuhyun himself. However, Kyuhyun's warm boydy, Kyuhyun's gentle hand, Kyuhyun's husky whisper, and his own fatigue all combined and lured him to sleep. Yawning sleepily, Jongwoon closed his eyes and let sleep take him, ignoring the fact that he still sat on his roommate's lap.

.

.

.

Two hours later, Kyuhyun finally turned the table and won the game. He was about to shout in joy but stopped when he heard a quiet snore. Right, he almost forgot that his roommate still slept soundly using him as a bed. After logging off the game and shutting down the computer, Kyuhyun tried to wake the shorter man up but only got a small grunt as a response. Right now Jongwoon kind of looked like a baby koala hugging its mom to its dear life, and Kyuhyun almost bursted out laughing at his thought. Shaking his head while smiling fondly, he put his arms underneath Jongwoon's buttocks and carefully stood up from the chair. He walked to a single bed by a window and gently laid down the sleeping man there. Jongwoon frowned and made an annoying whine but otherwise he show no sign waking up. Kyuhyun kindly covered his roommate with a blanket so he wouldn't catch a cold. That was when he noticed a bag under his roommate's eyes. Guilt slowly crept up on him as he realized he was the cause of those bags.

 

"Sorry, I promise I'll be more careful next time."

 

Kyuhyun whispered softly and brushed some stray strand off the man's forehead. Jongwoon frowned again and turned to lie on his side after batting Kyuhyun's hand away. Kyuhyun smiled in mildly amusement. He kept staring at his roommate for a few more minutes, before turning off the bed lamp and heading to his own bed.

 

************************************

 

Jongwoon didn't remember what happened afterward nor did he remember how he went back to his bed, but he guessed that the plan probably failed. So, when Heechul asked him in the morning if his plan worked or not, he told his friend to stop giving him ridiculous ideas. In the following night, he expected Kyuhyun to disturb his sleep again, but he was surprised to see his roommate playing games in utter silence. Not even once did Kyuhyun curse or shout like how he often did. He couldn't believe that Heechul's stupid plan actually worked! Nevertheless, he would gladly take the chance to sleep peacefully. Jongwoon went to bed in a high spirit, knowing that he wouldn't have to wage a war with his roommate anymore.

 

Problem was, he couldn't fall asleep...

 

He squinted his eyes shut for a while but no sign of sleep greeted him. True, he had an insomnia, but he should be able to sleep once the room was dark and quiet, which it was. Then, why couldn't he sleep? Jongwoon carefully came up with any reason why he couldn't sleep. He was tired and sleepy. The room was dark and quiet. The temperature... That was it! The temperature! The room was a bit cold so he couldn't sleep! Finally finding the cause, Jongwoon took another blanket from Kyuhyun's bed and lay down happily. However, he soon threw it back to where it came from because it was too hot for him to sleep. Puffing in annoyance, he sat right back up. His gaze fell on Kyuhyun who was playing computer quietly in the living room...

.

.

.

.

Geam_Master: u r fk DPS y did u hide behind healer!

 

 

Kyuhyun just pressed enter and sent his message to the team chat room when Jongwoon popped out of nowhere and blocked his screen, again. He barely shoved his roommate out in time to move his character out of the boss's attack range. While he controled his character to charge up a high rank magic, Jongwoon quietly climbed up on the chair and sat on his lap just like yesterday. Holding his joystick with one hand and releasing the charged magic at the boss, Kyuhyun hooked his arm around his roommate's thin waist, making sure that he wouldn't fall backward while finding a comfortable position. After Jongwoon was satisfied, Kyuhyun turned his attention back to the joystick and dashed in to save his stupid teammate. He also seized this chance to chat with his roommate who began to yawn drowsily.

 

"Hey, I didn't bother you even once tonight so why did you try to annoy me again?"

"You may be quiet, but the light from the screen still bother me so that's that."

 

Jongwoon mumbled a reply while nuzzling against his roommate's neck like a kitten. Kyuhyun blinked dumbly and doadged the boss's ultimate attack move. Watching the boss transforming into its final form, he spared his time to check the brightness setting. As he thought, both the game's brightness and the screen's brightness were set at the lowest. Besides, Jongwoon had never complained about the light before so why now? Kyuhyun's fingers danced and his character jumped up to the side, precisely avoiding the boss's OHKO move. At the same time, Jongwoon hugged his waist a bit tighter and yawned again, but he still didn't fall asleep.

 

Don't tell me...

 

Kyuhyun increased his speed and quickly finished off the boss. When the game was distributing exp and items, he took this time to gently pet Jongwoon's soft hair while humming. And, to his expectation, his roommate fell asleep within five minutes. He could hear Jongwoon's even breathing and felt the shorter man relaxing in his arms.

 

 

Well, well, isn't Jongwoon kind of cute?

 

 

Kyuhyun smirked in fondly disbelief and continued the game.

 

***************************

 

This time, Jongwoon clearly remembered what happened so he was too embarrassed to face Kyuhyun in the morning. However, when the night fell and he couldn't get any sleep, he had no choice but to bother his roommate again. He used the same excuse that the light from the screen bothered him so he couldn't sleep. If Kyuhyun found his excuse to be amusing, the man didn't voice it out. Kyuhyun only smirked while helping him adjusting his position until he was satisfied. Again, Jongwoon fell asleep in no time in Kyuhyun's embrace and he woke up on his bed in the next morning. Since his roommate didn't seem to mind helping him, Jongwoon fully took advantage of it and he never had a difficulty falling asleep again. Despite the intimacy they shared at night, they didn't talk much during the day as if they were still a stranger. Before long, two uneventful weeks had passed peacefully.

.

.

.

.

After he was done with his assignment, Jongwoon put away his laptop and readied to go to bed. He didn't even bother lying down on his bed. Instead, he went directly to the living room where Kyuhyun was playing a game. However, he only took one step into the room when Kyuhyun suddenly turned around to look at him, his game temporary pausing.

 

"Jongwoon, what a perfect timing!"

"What do you mean?" 

 

Kyuhyun smiled suspiciously and got up from his seat. He went to a built-in cabinet by the door and took something out. Walking back to where Jongwoon was, the man proudly presented the item in his hands.

 

"Look, it's a folding curtain wall. I made sure to pick the darkest color and thickest fabric they have in the shop. From now on, no light from my computer screen will ever disturb your sleep again!"

 

Having said that, Kyuhyun hummed happily and set out to show Jongwoon that he didn't exaggerate it. When it was completely unfolded, the curtain wall indeed blocked all light from the screen. Kyuhyun even went as far as increasing the brightness to its hightest setting, but no light shone past the black fabric.

 

"See? Isn't it amazing? Now you can have all the peaceful sleep you want!"

"Y-Yeah, you're right..."

 

Seeing Kyuhyun's sincere smile, Jongwoon had no choice but headed back to his bed. Lying down defeatedly, he couldn't help but wonder if Kyuhyun bought it on purpose. Did he annoy his roommate to the point that he had to waste his saving money buying that thing? He bet that it was very expensive too. Really, did Kyuhyun hate him this much? Jongwoon thinned his lips when that thought crossed his mind. Somehow, the thought that Kyuhyun hated him scared him much more than his insomnia. But, what could he do? If Kyuhyun didn't want him nowhere near him then who he was to ignore that? With a heavy heart and forming headache, Jongwoon readied himself for a sleepless night.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun found himself unable to focus on the game at all. He kept listening to see if his roommate would approach him or not, but so far he heard nothing. To be honest, he bought this damn expensive curtain wall because he wanted to see what new excuse Jongwoon would come up with. And to be even more honest, he just wanted to hear Jongwoon admitting that he loved snuggling with him. He didn't expect his roommate to be this stubborn, even though he probably couldn't sleep and had a headache right now. Sighing in defeat, Kyuhyun decided to just make up some excuse for Jongwoon himself. He intentionally clicked the keyboard so hard that annoying sound could be heard. In less than a minute, he heard a hurrying footsteps heading toward him.

 

"What did I do this time?" Kyuhyun asked while trying so hard not to smile at the shorter man.

"Your keyboard. It makes annoying noise and now I can't sleep so I'm going to annoy you!"

 

Kyuhyun obediently (and happily) welcomed his roommate into his arms. His cheeks hurt so much from trying to suppress a smile while he helped Jongwoon settle down on his lap. As usual, Jongwoon fell asleep within five minutes leaning on him. But this time, Kyuhyun found himself being interested in the man on his lap rather than his game. There was something about sleeping Jongwoon that put his mind at ease, his steady breathing, his quiet snore, his warm body, his hands clinging on his back, and the fact that their bodies fitted together mysteriously like two jigsaw pieces.

 

 

This time, Kyuhyun took way longer time holding Jongwoon close to him, before reluctantly letting his hands go and resuming the game.

 

********************************

 

Kyuhyun had continued to pretend to click the keyboard too hard for about three weeks when Jongwoon stopped bothering him all of sudden in one night. He didn't know what was going on in his roommate's mind, but it was obvious that he needed his help to fall asleep. Yet Jongwoon refused to approach him no matter how hard he pressed the keyboard making annoying noise. His roommate's stubbornness began to irritate him. Why? Why wouldn't Jongwoon ask for his help when it was obvious that he needed it? Weren't they a roommate? Was Kyuhyun that unreliable? Did Jongwoon still hate him? Was that why Jongwoon always pretended like they were a stranger during the day, not even looking at his face? Somehow, the thought that Jongwoon hated him put him in a really bad mood.

 

Fine! If you don't need my help then you do you!

 

Kyuhyun fumed in his seat like a child as he mercilessly slaughtered his foes in a game.

.

.

.

Jongwoon was trying his hardest to fall asleep but failed miserably. He sighed and inwardly apologized to Kyuhyun when he no longer heard the keyboard noise. Truth be told, he wanted nothing more than going to his roommate and let those gentle embrace lure him to sleep. But he held himself back from doing so because... he... he suspected that he might develop a crush on his roommate... Well, it wasn't that surprising considering what Kyuhyun did for him. Yes, he knew that Kyuhyun did that keyboard noise on purpose to help him. The man's kindness touched his heart so much that he couldn't bring himself to look into those warm brown eyes, worrying that Kyuhyun might see his bright red face. Jongwoon had already made up his mind. He had to stop himself from falling for Kyuhyun any harder. Most importantly, he had to learn how to live without Kyuhyun. They were only a roommate. One day, they would graduate from college and went their own ways, never meeting again. If he stepped back now, it might not be too late to save himself from unnecessary heartbreak...

 

 

 

That night, even after Kyuhyun went to bed and the night had passed, Jongwoon still hadn't had a wink of sleep.