Final

Baek Jieun, I Love You

 

Baek Jieun looked at her reflection with a thudding heart that sounded like drums in a marching band. A folded piece of paper settled between her hands. Her pearly teeth gnawed on her bottom lip in anxiousness. Her head snapped up when the bell rang, announcing the end of the school day. She exhaled a shaky breath and returned to her classroom to retrieve her backpack. 

 

Hyemi and Soyeon, twin sisters who had befriended Jieun in the sixth grade, approached her with fairy-like smiles. The two of them had medium length hair and prominent noses that would make any model mad with envy. "Jieun, are you ready for this weekend's senior trip?" Soyeon asked in her tinkling voice. 

 

The annual senior trip at JYP High was an event that was always boasted about. Word would make its way around town and students from other schools would look forward to it, even though they were not fortunate enough to partake in the unforgettable social event. Jieun nodded her head with a wide smile. "I heard the mountains are the most beautiful this time of year." 

 

"I still have to pack. Ottokae?! Soyeon, help me pick outfits." The fashionista, Hyemi cried out and pouted her strawberry lips at her sister. Soyeon sighed dramatically and rolled her eyes.

 

"You two go ahead. I'll see the both of you tomorrow morning." Jieun laughed at the sisters’ actions and behavior. The twins left arm in arm after waving goodbye and promising hot chocolate in the morning before catching the bus. Jieun slung her backpack over her shoulders and glanced at the paper in her hands. 

 

Meet me by the cherry blossom tree near the main entrance. I have something to tell you. - Jackson


 This was the moment Jieun had been waiting for since she had laid eyes on the Hong Kong transfer student. All the sneaky glances his way and doodles of both their names combined had finally paid off. Jackson Wang had finally noticed the quiet and reserved Baek Jieun. After almost twelve months of admiring from afar and timidly waving, Jieun was finally going to woman-up and tell him how she really felt. She squared her shoulders and made her way towards the iron gates of the school. She spotted a lean figure under the tree and felt her heart thump madly in her chest. She was almost positive he could hear it.

"Hi Jackson." Jieun slowly approached him with a shy smile. Jackson looked up from his phone and gave her a polite smile. She could feel the flutter of butterfly wings in her stomach. He looked past her and scanned the vicinity. "I got your note." Jieun handed him the piece of paper with rosy cheeks. 

 

Jackson's expression dropped and he became stoic. He blinked a few times at the note in his hand. That was indeed his handwriting. "Jieun..." He looked her in the eyes and bit his lip. This was the moment she had been waiting for. He was going to proclaim his love for her, pull her into his strong arms and give her a breathtaking kiss she'd never forget. "Your locker is next to Youngji's isn't it? I'm so sorry Jieun. I must have accidentally put it in the wrong one..."


No, this can't be happening. Jieun felt her face flush with extreme heat. The weather was cold but right now she felt as if she was running a fever that would put her in the hospital. Was this really happening to her? She couldn't meet his eyes anymore. This was the most embarrassing moment of her life. It took the cake in all the embarrassing moments she had experienced in life. Her breath caught in as she felt her lunch making its way back up. She fled the scene without looking back.

-------

"There, there. You're fine." A strong, yet delicate looking hand patted Jieun on the back. Another loud wail escaped from , causing the handsome male to cringe. "It could have been worse." 

 

Jieun's head shot up and she craned her neck to the side. Her long, dark hair cascaded down the front of her face. She stared at the male sitting on the edge of her bed. The demon that had been living in her home for the past eight months. His name was Mark. If he had a last name or an actual legitimate reason as to why he was on earth, she didn't know. He wouldn't disclose that information with her. Maybe within time he'd share with her. People would probably think she belonged in an asylum. She had almost been caught too many times 'talking to herself' and with another encounter, the principal would have probably sent her to the school's psychiatrist.

 

"You weren't there though. I looked like a deer caught in headlights." Jieun dropped her face onto the pillow, let out another muffled scream and sunk into the mattress. 

 

A low chuckle rumbled in the back of his throat. "Oh, believe me, I saw it all." Mark's hand rubbed between her shoulders and squeezed the back of her neck. "Get up. I packed your things for your school trip this weekend." 

 

Jieun finally sat up. She stayed on her bed and crossed her legs. Her favorite orange suitcase sat on top of the desk. Mark went through all the clothing items that he had packed and even new clothes he had bought with the money her parents had left her before leaving the country for business. Jieun rested her elbows on the wooden bedpost as a soft smile curled her lips upwards. "Thank you, Mark." Her voice came out in a whisper. She sat up straighter with slightly rounded eyes. "You're coming with me, right?" 

 

Mark flung a black duffel bag onto the desk chair. The corner of his lips twitched up into a devilish smirk. "You're really asking me that?" Jieun laughed and rolled her eyes. 

-------

At precisely 5am, the phone alarm went off. Mark peeked through the curtains and saw fresh snow falling. The sun was still nowhere in sight. He looked back to see Jaein's sleeping figure and shook his head with a caring smile. He walked over to her and reached for her arm. "Jieun. Wake up." 

 

Jieun rolled onto her back and opened her eyes. She met eyes with Mark who nodded his head towards the hallway. Her hands went up in the air and she wiggled her fingers at him. "Lazy bum." Mark scoffed and hauled her up. Jieun's face lit up with an excited smile. She walked past him and into her private bathroom. Less than twenty minutes later she came back out in black leggings, heavy boots, and a thick cardigan with a beanie keeping her wild hair tamed. 

 

Mark placed his duffel bag on her suitcase and looked up. "Ready?" He grabbed his gray jacket and placed it over her shoulders. 

 

"Ready." Jieun beamed and locked her fingers through his. His free hand held onto the handle of the suitcase. He squared his shoulders and took a deep breath. "Wait!" Mark opened his eyes and handed her a muffin with a flat look. She looked up at him and her eyes turned into crescents with her smile. "You may proceed." They both laughed as he teleported them both a block away from JYP High. 

 

Jieun opened her eyes and saw her classmates a few yards away. Mark had disappeared, but she wasn't worried. She wheeled her suitcase behind her and stuck her free hand in the pocket of Mark's jacket. "Ow!" She yanked her hand out of her pocket and stared at her hand. What in the hell was that? 

 

"My bad." A pocket sized Mark appeared on her shoulder. He grinned at her with a chuckle. 

 

Jieun frowned. "You bit me." 

 

"You shoved your hand in the pocket." Mark retaliated. "It's cold, y'know!" 

 

She stopped short and shot a glare at him. "You don't get cold, you fool." She hissed. Jieun was the only one who could actually see Mark and she thanked the heavens, or wherever he came from, for that. Jieun made her way towards the front of the school and rounded the large yellow bus. Her eyes widened when she saw Jackson. He was standing with his group of equally popular friends. She looked down at his hand that held onto Youngji's. Jackson turned his head and coincidentally met eyes with her. In panic, Jieun turned her head and briskly walked away. She could feel his gaze on her and she chewed on her bottom lip.

 

"Jieun!" Hyemi and Soyeon excitedly squealed and waved her down. Jieun smiled back with zeal and made her way to them. "This is for you." Soyeon handed her a steaming cup of their famous hot chocolate. 

 

"Thank you." Jieun took the cup in both hands and took a careful sip. The warmth from her drink instantly comforted her and a small smile played on her lips. 

 

"Alright everybody! We are boarding buses now!" The young female history professor clapped her gloved hands. Some teachers loaded the students' luggage while others helped check students off the roster. "Hyemi. Soyeon. Bus number one." Mrs. Kang pointed to the bus behind her.

 

The girls squealed and boarded the bus. They looked back at Jieun and frowned. Jieun nodded her head, indicating she would be okay. "Jieun, you may go with Hyemi and Soyeon." Mrs. Kang smiled her warm smile. 

 

"Thank you, ssem." Jieun bowed and hopped on. The girls migrated to the back of the bus. Jieun took the seat behind the twins and pulled earbuds out of her pocket. She looked up and saw Jackson plunking down a few seats in front of her. Youngji sat near the window and cutely beamed at him. Her nose scrunched up and Jackson bit his bottom lip. Some of his friends walked by and they all slapped him high-fives. Jackson turned his head and once again, his eyes met hers. Jaein felt her cheeks flush hot. She looked away and turned her music up a little louder. She snuck a glance at him and sighed in relief when he wasn't looking at her anymore. 

 

The engines of the buses roared to life and students cheered in excitement. The twins turned around to face Jieun. "See you when we get there!" Hyemi giggled with a wave. 

 

Jieun laughed and nodded. "See ya." She waved back and leaned against the window. Her eyes burned with drowsiness. She felt new weight next to her and turned her head. Mark looked at her with a crooked smile and motioned for her to come closer. She scooted closer to him and rested her head on his shoulder. Almost instantly, she fell into a peaceful slumber. Mark leaned his cheek on top of her head and shut his eyes. He felt hot. Jieun shifted her head and her nose pressed against the skin of his neck. Mark swallowed the thick lump in his throat and softened when he looked down at her. A serene smile curled his lips upwards. His attention was stolen when he heard a familiar laugh. Jackson was laughing with his friends and Youngji. Mark grimaced and studied the Hong Kong boy. What does she see in him? He's nothing special. If Mark was acting jealous he didn't know it. He glanced once more in Jackson's direction before wrapping an arm around Jieun and leaning against her.

 

Three hours later they arrived at the five-star resort in the mountains.

 

Jieun’s eyes fluttered open. She slowly lifted her head and slid out of her seat. She gave another yawn and stretched her arms above her head. Hyemi and Soyeon were in front of her as the students filed out of the bus. Luggage was handed off and everyone was given their room assignments. 

 

“You will all be paired up with someone of the same gender for your room assignments.” Mrs. Kang called out. She started calling off names from her list. “Iseul and Yijeon. Soyeon and Hyemi. Jieun and Youngji.” 

 

Jieun looked up and froze. Youngji made eye contact with her and waved with a smile. Jieun’s mouth curled into a polite smile. Everyone received their room keys and excitedly made their way into the resort. Crystal chandeliers hung from above, thousand-dollar couches and rugs decorated the lobby, the resort looked like it belonged in one of those fancy magazines. Jieun took in her surroundings, impressed. She followed Hyemi and Soyeon into the glass elevator and up to the seventh floor. 

 

They came to the twins’ room and Jieun watched them fawn over the decor. Jieun leaned against the dresser with an amused smile. How was she going to share a room with Youngji without being awkward about it? She hated awkward situations. “I’m going to go leave my things. I’ll meet you two at lunch.” Jieun waved and left the room. Luckily for Jieun, her room was two down from the twins. She slid the key into the slot and with a beep, the door clicked open. 

 

Youngji looked up from her suitcase and beamed. “Hi Jieun.” Her voice was as soft as a fairy’s. No wonder Jackson had fallen for her. 

 

“Hi...” Jieun became awkward and mentally scolded herself. She didn’t want this room assignment to hinder her weekend at the resort. 

 

Youngji sat on the edge of the bed and looked at her. “Please don’t hate me. You must have wanted to room with your friends, but instead you got stuck with me.” She pursed her lips into a cute pout. 

 

Jieun couldn’t hate the girl, even if she tried. Youngji was genuinely one of the nicest people she knew. They had never become friends, but that didn’t mean Jieun disliked her. They had a mutual respect. Jieun shook her head and smiled. “It’s okay.” 

 

Youngji relaxed her shoulders and placed her hand on her chest. “Okay, good! I’ll see you later, then!” She giggled and happily skipped out of the room. 

 

Jieun waved a small wave and went into the restroom. She ran a brush through her hair and smiled when it looked how she wanted. She walked out and her expression deflated. “Don’t.” She put her left hand up. Mark sat down on the bed and shut his mouth. She raised an eyebrow at him and he lost it. Mark exploded into laughter and doubled over, clutching onto his abdomen. “Are you done yet?” Jieun crossed her arms over her chest in annoyance. 

 

“Yes. No...pffffft!” Mark held up a finger and sat up straight. He wiped a nonexistent tear away and rested his hands on his knees. “Oh man, what is your luck? Amazing.” 

 

Jieun slipped her snow-jacket on and tossed her hair behind her shoulders. “I’m glad you find this amusing.” 

 

Mark came over to her and fixed the collar of the jacket. “I’m sorry for laughing at you.” He lifted her chin with his index finger and her expression immediately softened. “But your misery is kind of funny to me.” Mark’s reddish-brown eyes twinkled mischievously. 

 

Jieun scoffed and pushed his chest, causing him to fall onto the bed. “You and I’m leaving.” She grabbed her gloves and headed to the door. She looked back at Mark sprawled on the bed. He blew a kiss and wiggled his eyebrows at her. Jieun rolled her eyes and chuckled. “Stay out of trouble.” 

 

“Yes ma’am.” Mark saluted with a charming grin. Jieun closed the door and he was left alone. Mark laid back onto the mattress and sighed. He played with the pendant around his neck and stared up at the ceiling. He could hear his heart humming in his chest and felt calm. He put his arms behind his head and closed his eyes. Baek Jieun.

-------

The doors of the elevator opened with a ping!

 

Jieun stepped out and walked through the lobby towards the resort’s five-star restaurant. Her eyes scanned the vicinity in search of her friends. She pursed her lips and checked her phone for new messages from the twins. “Hey Jieun.” She jumped, startled. She looked back at the owner of the voice and her eyes became wide. 

 

“I think I saw Hyemi and Soyeon at one of the tables near my friends and I.” Jackson helpfully said. He looked handsome in dark jeans and a gray beanie. His eyes sparkled and he smiled charmingly. 

 

Jieun cleared and gave a tight smile. “Thanks.” Before he could say anything else, she spun on her heel and headed towards her friends. She didn’t dare glance back at him in fear of making everything more awkward. You’re the worst. You’re just making things more awkward than they should be. She mentally scolded herself and plopped down in the seat next to Soyeon. 

 

“Jieun!” The twins squealed and began brainstorming ideas for their snow-filled weekend in the mountains. Jieun listened intently and couldn’t help but laugh at the bickering between the two sisters. She shook her head and took a bite out of her sandwich. Coincidentally she moved her gaze up and met eyes with Jackson. She stopped chewing and tried her best not to look like a dork. He nodded and turned his attention to Youngji. Jieun sighed in relief and swallowed her food. 

 

“You’re so lame.” Mark’s smooth voice interrupted Jieun’s thoughts. She snapped her head in his direction in surprise. Jieun looked around, wondering if anybody else could see him as well. “Relax, you forget that you’re the only one who can see me.” Mark stole a fry off her plate and happily popped it into his mouth. 

 

Jieun relaxed her shoulders and breathed out. “I know. I know.” She planted her elbows on the table and placed her chin in her palm. Mark’s eyes scanned their surroundings as he observed each one of her classmates and teachers. Meanwhile, Jieun’s eyes never left Mark. Her gaze traveled from his soft red hair to his full eyebrows, the mole underneath his right eye, his sharp nose and insanely plump lips. “Are you done checking me out?” Mark abruptly said and smirked right at her. 

 

Jieun laughed loudly. “I was not checking you out!” 

 

“Uhm...what? What are you talking about, Jieun?” Hyemi looked at her friend, beyond lost. Soyeon’s eyebrows crinkled in confusion and she tilted her head to the left. 

 

Jieun ignored Mark’s chuckling and looked at her friends. “Sorry. It was nothing.” She shook her head, hoping they’d just look past it and to her luck they did. The three girls finished eating and continued chatting about the memories they would make. 

-------

The cold, crisp mountain air filled Jieun’s lungs and she grinned widely. She convinced the twins into snowboarding and that’s where they were now. At the top of the snow covered hill that seemed to stretch on for miles. Jieun glanced back and giggled at her friends struggling to balance themselves. She placed the goggles over her eyes and jumped into position. “See you down there, losers.” Jieun tipped herself forward and she went gliding down the slope with expertise. 

 

Having fun? Jieun heard Mark’s voice in her head. Of course. I don’t ever want to leave here. She responded and continued down the hill. One short minute later, she reached the bottom of the hill. She took off her goggles and looked up. The twins were nowhere in sight. Most likely, they were still at the top bickering and deciding on who should go down first. “Oh, boy.” Jieun picked up her snowboard and used the lift to go back up. 

 

A warm body sat next to Jieun on the lift and she turned her head to meet eyes with Mark. He took her snowboard and placed it on his lap. He gave her a kind smile that made Jieun’s heart flutter. “I’ll race you down the slope.”

 

A competitive smirk lit up her pale face and she bumped her fist against his. “You’re on.” When they reached the top Jieun found Hyemi and Soyeon having a hard time with the buckles of the snowboards. She chuckled and squatted down in front of them. “Aigoo. You two are helpless.” She teased and strapped both girls in. 

 

“Thanks Jieun!” They both chimed and slowly wobbled towards the hill. Holding hands, the twins both sent themselves down the slope with caution. They squealed and shrieked, all the while Jieun watched from the top and laughed.

 

Mark held his hand out to her. He was in snowboarding gear that for some reason made him look hotter than he usually did. Jieun stretched her hand out and at the last second Mark pushed her down, causing her to fall on her . Jieun looked up at him in shock. Mark snickered and flew down on the snowboard. “Son of a-” Jieun quickly strapped herself onto the board and raced after him. Her eyes targeted him and she leaned forward, making herself go faster. She dodged everyone on the slope with ease. The wind nipped at her exposed cheeks, turning them pink but she didn’t mind. She closed her eyes for a brief second and when she opened her eyes, her body rammed into someone. 

BAM!

Jieun sat up and yanked her goggles off. She looked to the left and quickly scrambled onto her knees. “Youngji! Oh . . . .” She grasped her classmate’s shoulder and gently shook her. Her heart pounded in her chest and she looked around for help. She saw Hyemi and Soyeon running towards her. “Get Jackson!” They nodded and  darted towards the resort. “Youngji-ah!” Jieun fell into panic mode. She searched for Mark and spotted him near the lifts. Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion when she saw an orange orb-like thing swallowing him, making him disappear. 

 

Before she could have a meltdown Youngji groaned and tried to get up but fell back onto her elbows. “Jieun? Why are there three of you?” She asked in a soft voice. 

 

Jieun felt terrible. “Help is coming. Are you hurt anywhere?” She fervently looked for any cuts and bruises. She heard Youngji’s name being called and looked back. Jackson, Hyemi and Soyeon were all running towards them. “She needs to go to the infirmary!”  

-------

Mark closed the portal behind him and sighed in annoyance. Jieun’s panic-stricken face came into mind and he felt bad for not being able to help. He looked around the familiar dark room and tossed his jacket onto the bed. He walked towards the door and poked his head out. No one was around. Mark stepped out and headed down the hall. He glanced back and felt no one’s presence. The place seemed empty. He shrugged and shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants. Mark rounded the corner and stopped near the entrance to the grand library. He paused for a second before entering. 

 

The library was massive. It had red velvet carpet and bookshelves that lined every wall except the one in the middle. The center wall sported a window that was made of different colored crystals. There was a royal blue suede couch in the middle near the oak-wood desk. That’s where Mark spotted the person he was looking for. He went around the sofa and took a seat in the chair across from the brown-haired male. 

 

“Did you miss me?” Mark’s closest friend since he could remember, Jaebum, gave a knowing smile. 

 

The corner of Mark’s lip twitched up into a smirk and he rubbed his face. “Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” Both males shared a hearty laugh. Mark sat up straight and leaned back into the leather chair. He crossed his ankles and sighed again. “Am I in trouble?” 

 

Jaebum chuckled and crossed his arms over his chest. “You are not in trouble and it’s all thanks to me. In return, I ask for your first born.” He said with an exaggerated serious expression. The two of them broke into another round of laughter and did their handshake they made-up when they were little kids. “But.....S has been looking for you lately. I’m not sure how many more excuses I can make.” 

 

“Damn it.” Mark ran his fingers through his hair. “Thanks for covering for me.” He looked up at Jaebum and cleared his throat. He rubbed his palms on his jeans and bit his bottom lip. 

 

He straightened his back and raised an eyebrow. “I know that look. You want something.” Jaebum said.

 

“The visibility ring.” Mark whispered, shocking Jaebum. “Please?” 

 

Jaebum studied his friend for a good minute. Mark uncomfortably fidgeted in his seat and hoped Jaebum wouldn't judge him too much. “ I am not going to ask why. If you are doing this for your person...” He paused briefly and continued, “Just be careful, Mark.” 


My person. Jieun flashed in Mark’s mind and he felt elated. A genuine smile tugged both corners of his lips upwards. He met eyes with Jaebum and nodded. “I’ll be careful. I’m sure about this.” Both males stood and headed towards the exit of the library. They strode down the hall and made a left down the darkest hall of the entire palace. Jaebum opened the heavy wooden door at the end of the hall. Mark followed in after him and the two-story storage room lit up. There were different gadgets and trinkets scattered about on work tables.

 

Jaebum disappeared and reappeared with a small metal box in his hand. “Mark.” He called out. The redheaded male walked over to him and took the box in his hands. He opened it and his eyes rounded. It was a simple black ring, but it held a power Mark longed to experience since he met Jieun. She was definitely in for a surprise and he hoped it would be a good one. 

 

“I owe you big time, Jae.” Mark said. He turned to his best friend and embraced him tightly. 

 

Jaebum chuckled and lightly pushed him towards the exit.. “Now get out of here before S finds out you’re back.” 

 

Mark whispered a last ‘thank you’ and ran towards his room. He locked the door behind him and went up to the mirror. He studied his face and ran his fingers through his hair. Mark slipped his gray t-shirt off and rummaged his drawers for something else to wear. He usually never paid attention to what he wore but it was a different situation now. He was eager to return to Jieun and make memories during her school trip. He could not wait to see her reaction. After one last look in the mirror to make sure not a strand of hair was out of place, Mark scanned his bedroom for anything else he might need. He took the metal ring out of his pocket and slid it onto the ring finger of his left hand. He gave a small smile and grabbed the jacket off his bed.

 

Mark used both hands to open a portal and vanished into it.

-------

Youngji applied another layer of lip gloss to her cherry-red lips while Jieun waited for her on the bed. The nurse had examined Youngji and declared there were no broken bones or major injuries, which gave Jieun great relief. She still felt guilty though and insisted on staying with her while she rested in their suite. Youngji ran a brush through her hair and smiled at her reflection. 

 

“Okay, I’m ready.” She turned to Jieun and beamed.

 

Jieun stood up and grabbed her coat. Both girls headed towards the door and let it shut behind them. They walked down the hall towards the elevator. Jieun pressed the button and waited in awkward silence. After one minute, that felt like an eternity to Jieun, the doors slid open and they stepped inside. Youngji pushed the ‘L’ and leaned against the wall. She snuck a glance at Jieun and giggled. “You’re so reserved, Jieun.” 

 

Jieun’s head snapped up and she blinked at Youngji. Before she could feel judged, Youngji added, “It’s not a bad thing! It makes you so...mysterious.” She giggled once more. Jieun rolled her eyes in a playful manner and chuckled. She was warming up to the school’s sweetheart. 

 

The elevator arrived at the designated floor and both girls stepped out. They walked towards the restaurant where all of JYP’s seniors would be having dinner. “I’ll see you later.” Jieun touched Youngji’s elbow and gave it a friendly squeeze. 

 

Youngji smiled and nodded her head. “We’ll be playing games after we’re all done eating. You and your friends will have to join us, ok?” Jieun put two thumbs up, a soft smile tugging her lips upwards. She watched as her classmate made her way to Jackson and their friends. Jieun spun on her heel and searched for her friends. 

 

“Over here!” Hyemi shouted and waved her arms in the air. Soyeon pulled her embarrassing twin down, forcing her into her seat at their table. Jieun shook her head, snickering at their squabbling. She pulled the chair out and sat down across from Soyeon. She ordered a hot green tea as they waited for the servers to bring their meals out. Jieun. Her head snapped up and her eyes roamed around her in search of him. She didn’t see him anywhere and her shoulders fell. Jieun thought back to earlier on the slope and wondered where Mark could have vanished to. She hoped he was safe and that he would return soon. 

 

Soyeon noticed her friend’s furrowed eyebrows and tossed her jet black hair over her right shoulder. “Are you okay, Jieun?” She laced her hands together and rested her chin top of them. Hyemi copied her twin and leaned forward to study her friend. “I know it must be tough having to room with your crush’s girlfriend. You can always come crash with us!” The twins nodded fervently. 

 

Jieun softened at her friends’ worry. “I’m fine, guys. And you know,” She glanced towards the table Youngji and Jackson were eating at. “She’s very kind. My crush on him...it is what it is. We all move on.” Jieun looked up at Hyemi and Soyeon. She raised her cup and they clinked their drinks together. 

 

“Cheers to being single.” Hyemi giggled, making Jieun chortle. Soyeon sighed exasperatedly and shook her head at her sibling. 

 

The three friends chatted lightheartedly during dinner. They made plans to go ice skating the next day and to check out the indoor hot-spring the resort offered. Hyemi and Jieun shared a slice of tiramisu cake while Soyeon tapped out, claiming her pants would burst any minute. Jieun threw her head back and laughed. “You should’ve worn your eating pants.” Hyemi snorted and nudged her sister. Soyeon rolled her eyes but laughed along. 

 

“Jieun!” Youngji gently called out. The three girls looked up at the pretty girl. “We’re all heading towards the recreational room to play some games. Join us as soon as you guys finish!” She grinned and waved. 

 

Soyeon wiped her lips with the white linen napkin and stood up. She nodded her head towards the exit and wiggled her eyebrows at Jieun. “Let’s go, girls. I cannot wait to see what awkward moment will occur.” 

 

"She has such little faith in me.” Jieun pouted and looked at Hyemi for support. 

 

The brown-haired girl wrapped an arm around Jieun’s shoulder and gave her a squeeze. “You’ve yet to prove yourself, Jieun.” She said, causing Jieun’s jaw to drop open slightly. “I'm just teasing!” Hyemi cackled and grasped Jieun’s hand, hauling her towards the door. 

 

Soyeon, Hyemi and Jieun entered the game room and were immediately signaled over by Youngji. Jackson stood up, making sure there was enough room for the girls to sit. “Hey Soyeon.” Bambam, one of Jackson’s friends and a huge flirt, winked and waved his fingers. Unimpressed, Soyeon nodded her head and looked at Jieun who put her fist to , trying to cover up a low chuckle. 

 

“Hi Hyemi. Hi Jieun.” A tall male with dark brown hair and a prominent nose waved from his seat on the sofa. A faint blush appeared on Hyemi’s cheeks. “Hi Yugyeom.” She curled a piece of her hair behind her ear and shyly bit her bottom lip. Her and Jieun came around the large red couch and sat next to Soyeon. 

 

A hotel employee came by with a tray of hot cocoa for everyone and set them down on the wooden coffee table. “Thank you!” Everyone chorused. Jieun took a cup and used a spoon to dunk the large floating marshmallow. Soyeon held out the can of whipped cream with a knowing look. Jieun made a face and covered her drink. Soyeon laughed and topped her twin’s cup with a mountain of whipped cream. 

 

Youngji clasped her hands together and beamed. “How about charades first? Let’s pair up.” Everyone nodded in agreement. She counted heads and then frowned. “We’re uneven. Darn it.” 

 

Jieun raised her arm. “I can be score-keeper.” She offered and took a sip of her drink. 

 

“Or I can be your partner, Jieun.” 

All at once seven heads turned around in the direction of the attractive voice. While everyone else looked confused as to who the handsome guy was, Jieun’s eyes threatened to pop out of their sockets. She spit her hot cocoa back into her cup and wiped her lips with the back of her hand. Mark placed his hands over the back edge of the couch and looked right into Jieun’s eyes. “What do you say? I’m pretty good at charades.” Stunned into silence, Jieun’s thoughts ran wild with questions. Mark was smiling a charming smile she’d never seen from him and her heart fluttered in a different way than before. Mark’s hair was no longer fiery red but was now black, like a midnight sky, and he looked GOOD. You’re being awkward, Jieun. Say something. 

 

Jieun straightened up and cleared . “Um, yeah. We can be partners.” The group looked at Jieun expectantly. “This is Mark. He’s in Teacher Park’s homeroom.” Jieun hoped they would all believe her lie and was relieved when everyone all nodded and averted their attention to Youngji and the dry-erase board. Mark hopped over the couch, taking the seat next to Jieun. He met eyes with her and winked. “How?” Jieun whispered with a stunned look still playing on her face. 

 

Mark held up his hand and twisted the black ring around his finger with his thumb, a wide grin playing on his face. “I can leave if you want me to.” He studied Jieun’s face, waiting for her response. She softened and shook her head. Happy, Mark took her hand and gave it a light squeeze. 

 

Jackson and Youngji went first, scoring 7 out of 10 points. Everyone laughed as Bambam acted out Chicken Little. Soyeon attempted to hide behind her sister in embarrassment. Hyemi and Jieun giggled at her reaction and pushed her towards Bambam so she could make her guess. Soyeon and Bambam scored 6 out of 10. She blamed him for being a bad actor. Hyemi and Yugyeom scored 8 points out of 10. He high-fived her and complimented her intelligence. Hyemi bashfully thanked him and took her seat next to Jieun. 

 

It was Mark’s and Jieun’s turn. He stood up and went around the coffee table. He reached into the metal cup and pulled out his first word. He rolled his shoulders back and made eye contact with Jieun. Mark started to make gestures and signals. Jieun gave him a puzzled look. It’s your favorite Disney movie. Jieun tapped her feet on the carpet and exclaimed, “Disney’s Tangled!” Mark put his thumb up and nodded. You cheater. Jieun pursed her lips together in a thin line. He smirked at her and read the next word. 

 

The game ended in Jieun and Mark winning with 10 out of 10 points. Her friends and Youngji congratulated Jieun. Jackson approached Mark and held out his hand for a high-five. Mark apprehensively held back but felt a presence behind him that urged him to give Jackson a friendly high-five. Mark gave a polite smile and turned around to give Jieun a flat look. He wiped his hand down the front of his jacket and Jieun nudged him hard. Mark laughed out loud and tickled her sides. 

 

“Who’s up for a little bit of Truth or Dare?” Bambam hollered with a smirk on his face. “Soyeon? How about it huh?” Soyeon scoffed and rolled her eyes. 

 

The six of them gathered around the coffee table. Bambam found a glass bottle and spun first. It landed on Soyeon and he dared her to kiss him. Soyeon shoved a pillow in his face which caused an uproar of laughter from everyone. They all took turns spinning the bottle and giving each other silly dares or thrilling questions. The bottle was handed to Bambam and he spun it. To Jieun’s luck, it landed on her. “Truth or dare?” He asked. Jieun chose truth and took a sip of her water while Bambam thought of a question. He snapped his fingers and put his hand on his knee. “Have you had a crush on anyone at our school?” 

 

Jieun wiped her now sweaty palms on her leggings and her lips nervously. “I, um, I-” 

 

“I’ve always had a crush on Jieun but she hasn’t really noticed me. Until today.” Mark interrupted her. Everyone collectively ooh’ed. Jieun looked up at Mark who was sitting beside her on the armrest of the couch. He looked down at her with such a charismatic aura that enthralled Jieun. 

“Well if we’re confessing our crushes then I have something to say!” Bambam stood up and put a hand over his chest. “Soyeon, I-”

 

“Nope. Not today, Thailand.” Soyeon shot up from her seat and hastily walked away. Bambam trailed after her, exclaiming that he was telling the truth. 

 

Youngji grabbed Jackson’s hand and tugged on it. “Let’s go for a walk.” He nodded in agreement. “Jieun, Hyemi, would you like to join us?” 

 

Yugyeom stretched his long legs as he got up from his spot. “I’m in. Hyemi?” He held out a hand. She grinned and took his hand. She looked down at Jieun. 

 

“I’m good right here. Nice and cozy.” Jieun snuggled into the couch and placed her feet up on the coffee table. She hugged a pillow to her chest. 

 

Hyemi chuckled. “Lazy girl. Take good care of my friend, Mark!” She tried her best to give a stern face which only managed to make both Jieun and Mark laugh. 

 

Mark waved with two fingers and winked. “Yes ma’am.” He slid off the sofa armrest and also placed his feet on the coffee table. His shoulder touched Jieun’s and he glanced at her. 

 

She laid her head against the couch and turned to meet Mark’s mysterious eyes. A corner of threatened to twitch upwards into a smile. “I like your black hair.” Jieun softly touched a tendril of it.

 

“Good to hear. I changed it for you.” Mark pretended to act cool. However, his heart thumped rapidly in his chest and he felt the back of his ears become warm. 

 

Jieun rolled her eyes. “Shut up.” She lightly hit him on the stomach with the cushion. She let out a sigh of content and stared ahead at the fireplace. “Thanks for saving me earlier when Bambam asked about my crush. There’s no way I would have been able to answer that question honestly.” Before Mark could respond, she added, “Although I’m kind of like whatever about it now. The more I think about it I’m not even sure if I really had a crush on him or if I was just infatuated with the idea of him, y’know?” Mark’s lips curled upwards into a happy smile. Good. Jieun laughed at his thought. “I heard that!” Mark caught the pillow she chucked at him and held onto it. They stayed there on the couch like that talking about everything and anything. 

 

It was nearing 11pm and Jieun yawned for the umpteenth time. “Maybe you should go to bed.” Mark suggested. Jieun nodded and covered as she yawned again. “Aigoo, sleepy head.” He placed his hands on her shoulders from behind and guided her towards the elevators. He pressed her floor number and the doors slid shut.

 

“I'm so tired I could fall asleep right here.” Jieun mumbled against Mark’s collarbone. He felt the vibration of her voice and it tickled him. He affectionately smiled down at her and wrapped a strong arm around her. 

 

The elevator made a ding! sound and the doors opened. Mark walked Jieun to her room and stopped in front of her door. “Good night, Jieun.” 

 

Suddenly Jieun became awake. She looked at Mark worriedly. “Will you be ok?” She wanted to offer her room so he could sleep comfortably but then remembered her rooming situation. 

 

“Don’t worry about me. Go in and get some rest.” He nodded towards the door and shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans. 

 

Jieun bit her bottom lip. “Where are you going to go?” 

 

Mark’s heart hummed happily at Jieun’s worry for him. “Here. There. And everywhere.” He shrugged. He noticed that her expression didn’t change. “Maybe I’ll teleport back to your house and sleep in your bed.” He joked. 

 

Jieun finally smiled. “Just don’t drool on my pillows.” They shared a laugh. “See you tomorrow?” 

 

“Yes you will.” Mark assured. 

 

Jieun pulled out her room key and inserted it into the slot. It gave a green light and the door clicked open. “Good night, Mark.” She waved. Mark copied her gesture with a tender look on his face. With a smile Jieun headed into her room. I meant what I said earlier. It wasn’t just a save. Good night, Jieun. Her head whipped up and she stepped back out into the hallway but Mark was long gone. “Coward.” Jieun muttered with a scowl but immediately softened at his words echoing in her head. She felt butterflies fluttering in her belly. With rosy cheeks, Jieun quickly went back into her room.

-------

The next morning Jieun woke up to text messages from the twins telling her to ‘stop being lazy’  and meet them for breakfast by 11am. Jieun chuckled and looked over at Youngji’s bed. She was laying out different items of clothing, trying to decide what to wear. “Good morning.” Jieun said. 

 

Youngji’s eyes flickered over to her and she smiled warmly. “Good morning, Jieun. I’m sorry if I woke you up.” 

 

Jieun shook her head and got out of bed. “You didn’t. I’m going to get ready.” She grabbed her bag of toiletries and went into the restroom. Jieun yawned and stretched her arms above her head. She started a warm shower and peeled her pajamas off. After her shower, Jieun brushed her teeth and washed her face. She towel dried her face, applied her tinted moisturizer and brushed her eyebrows neatly into place. She dressed into thick, thermal leggings and her black snow boots. 

 

Youngji gasped when Jieun came out. “I have the perfect headband that matches your green coat!” She squealed and pulled out the camo print accessory. Youngji held it out with both hands and smiled. “I’ll braid your hair too! It’ll look so cute.” 

 

Jieun chuckled and gave in. She sat on the bed and let Youngji style her hair into two double-Dutch French braids. She tied them with plastic hair ties and beamed. She gave Jieun the headband and she carefully pulled it over her head so as to not ruin Youngji’s masterpiece. Jieun looked at her reflection and was impressed by how good it looked. She turned back to Youngji and gave her two thumbs up. 

 

“I’m going to head down to meet Hyemi and Soyeon. Want to walk together?” Jieun kindly offered. 

 

“Thanks but I’ll catch you later. I’m going to put some makeup on and then head down.” Youngji patted Jieun’s shoulder and went into the restroom with a baby pink cosmetics bag. 

 

Jieun closed the room door behind her and headed towards the elevator. She tapped the tip of her boot on the floor while she waited for the elevator to arrive. 

 

“I hear that clicking your heels together will teleport you home.” A voice said. 

 

Jieun raised her head and looked to her right. Mark looked like a model. His hair was perfectly tousled, a small black earring hung from his left ear and his bomber jacket matched in color to hers. He was downright ethereal. Mark stopped in front of her and leaned in. “Is there something on my face or did you just fall in love with me?” 

 

The elevator arrived and the metal doors opened. “Psh.” Jieun shoved him with her elbow and stepped inside the elevator. She pressed the lobby button and the doors closed behind Mark. 

 

Mark leaned against the glass and fixed his gaze on Jieun. “You look very pretty. I mean, you look pretty everyday.” Jieun made eye contact with him. “I like your outfit today.” He genuinely smiled. 

 

The corners of Jieun’s mouth turned upwards and she bit her lip, trying to prevent an ear to ear grin from appearing on her face. “Thanks. Youngji let me borrow the headband.” She touched her head. 

 

“Never mind, I don’t like it anymore.” Mark crossed his arms over his chest with an expression of distaste. 

 

Jieun threw her head back and laughed. “What?! Why?!” The elevator reached its destination and the two of them exited. They walked towards the restaurant and saw the twins. 

 

Hyemi and Soyeon were both dressed in stylish winter clothes. Jieun and Mark stopped in front of them. “Good morning~” Jieun said.

 

Soyeon blatantly checked out Mark by scanning him from head to toe. She raised an eyebrow and smiled at Jieun. “I like your couples outfit.” Hyemi giggled and nodded, agreeing with her sister. 

 

Jieun’s eyes rounded and she looked at Mark. Soyeon had a point. They both were wearing the exact same outfit. All Mark was missing was the headband. He met her stare and his eyes sparkled. He shrugged as if saying ‘oh well.’

 

“I like it!” Hyemi hooked her arm through Jieun’s as they walked towards the restaurant. While they were led to their seats by the hostess, Hyemi animatedly told Jieun about her romantic walk with Yugyeom the night before. “He’s such a gentleman, Jieun. He walked me to my room and kissed me!” She whispered rather loudly. 

 

Jieun couldn’t help but find her friend’s facial expressions adorable and smiled wide. “Hyemi you’re so loud!” Soyeon scolded. 

 

“You’re just upset because Bambam kissed you on the cheek and not on the lips.” Hyemi huffed. 

 

Soyeon glared daggers her sister’s way. “Will you shut up?” She said through gritted teeth. 

 

“He could give you a kiss on the forehead, the cheek or the lips. What matters is the words he said to you before bidding you a good night.” Mark casually said and took a sip from his black coffee. 

 

All three girls stared at Mark with a surprised look. They blinked but didn’t say anything as they were taken aback by his statement. He lifted his eyes up from the drink menu and looked at each one of the girls. “Was it something I said?” He asked. They laughed at his cute expression. Mark was confused as to why they were laughing but softened when he saw Jieun’s face. She laughed beautifully. Everything she did was beautiful in his eyes.

 

“Let’s eat!” Hyemi said, pulled Soyeon out of her seat and hauled her towards the breakfast buffet. 

 

Jieun glanced at Mark and raised her eyebrows. “So we going to eat or what?” She jabbed her thumb in the direction the twins had gone. 

 

Mark chuckled and stood up. He pulled Jieun’s chair out and bowed for her. “After you.” 

 

With a curtsy and a dramatic gasp, Jieun delicately placed her fingers over . “A gentleman.” They both laughed and wandered over to the omelet station. Being a picky eater, Jieun made faces at the veggies Mark piled on his plate for the chef to add to his omelet. Mark poked fun at her and tickled her left side. “I’m going to get waffles.” She said and turned away from him and his long fingers. Mark watched her walk away in content. 

 

After filling her plate with all of her favorite American breakfast items, Jieun returned to the table and set her plate down. Mark pulled out the chair for her and she sat down. He handed her her cloth napkin and she placed it over her lap. She picked up her fork and took a bite of her eggs. 

 

Hyemi and Soyeon watched the little exchange between them two and grew curious. They glanced at each other. Hyemi cleared . “How come you never mentioned Mark before, Jieun? Are you two dating in secret?” She asked carefully. “But that wouldn’t make sense if you have a crush on Jackson.” 

 

Mark choked on his coffee and laughed. Jieun stopped chewing and put her fork back down. She glanced at Mark and chewed her bottom lip. Jieun looked up at her friends’ expectant faces and breathed out. “I don’t have a crush on Jackson. Not anymore.”

 

“I’m still trying to make her fall for me. Maybe she doesn’t talk about me because I’m doing a bad job.” Mark said, amused. He put his elbows on the table and leaned towards Jieun. “Am I doing a bad job, Jieun?” He whispered. 


A blush crept across Jieun’s cheeks and she felt flustered. She averted his stare and shoved a piece of waffle into . Hyemi and Soyeon guffawed at her reaction and about her cute reaction. Cute. Mark wanted to envelope Jieun into a tight hug but refrained himself. He couldn’t contain his smile as he continued eating. The rest of their meal was filled with laughter, conversation and the occasional bickering of the twins.

 

Once they were done, they headed towards the concierge where they picked up their ice skating vouchers. The friendly employee gave them a map of the resort and showed them how to get to the outdoor rink. 

 

In high spirits, the four of them walked out towards the slopes and followed the map up the hill. Less than fifteen minutes later they arrived at the rink and were greeted by a young, short haired female in glasses. She asked for their shoe sizes and handed everyone their respective skates. 

 

“Hurry up, Soyeon!” Hyemi laced up her skates in a flash and ran towards the rink. She jumped onto the ice and skated away like a princess. Soyeon shook her head and chased after her Hyemi. 

 

Mark towered over Jieun in his skates. “Woah.” Jieun looked up at him. “How’d you lace them up so fast?!” She complained. 

 

He crouched down and helped her tie the left one. “You’re just so slow.” He smirked. He held his hand out for her take. Jieun reached out and at the last second Mark put his hand behind his back. “Too slow.” He gave her a mischievous look and skated off. 

 

Jieun scoffed and watched him expertly skate about. She waddled towards the entrance and cautiously stepped onto the ice. Mark skated past her with speed that caused her to step back. She bumped into someone on accident and almost hit the floor if it wasn’t for that person’s quick reflexes. Jieun looked up and met Jackson’s eyes. 

 

Mark looked back at Jieun and felt his blood boil at the sight he saw. Jackson had Jieun tightly grasped by her arms and her hands gripped Jackson’s wrists. It looked like he just saved her from falling and cracking her head open but he still wasn’t happy with who it was that had caught her. He quickly skated over to them. “Are you okay, Jieun?” 


She looked up at Mark and let go of Jackson immediately. “Yeah, I’m fine. Thank you, Jackson.” He nodded, glanced at Mark and skated away. How’d it feel? Being in your crush’s arms? Jieun furrowed her eyebrows and rolled her eyes in annoyance. She moved past Mark without saying anything. Mark caught up to her and grabbed both of her hands from behind. I’m sorry, Jieun. Forgive me. Please. He pressed his cheek on the back of her head as they glided on the smooth ice. Jieun couldn’t fight the smile growing on her lips. “Stupid.” Mark could tell she had forgiven him by the tone of her voice.

 

Hyemi and Soyeon came by and stole Jieun away from Mark. The three of them skated around and took selfies on Hyemi’s cell phone. Mark watched them from afar and felt warm inside just by seeing Jieun’s radiant, joyful expressions. He spotted Youngji nearby and saw her taking pictures with a Polaroid camera. She pulled Jackson to her and asked him to pose for a couple’s selfie. He wrapped an arm around her and put his head against hers. Mark glanced Jieun’s way and a thought came to his mind. He turned his head to the left but Youngji and Jackson were gone. “Damn.” He said. 

 

Bambam interrupted the girls and threw an arm over Soyeon. “Hey ladies. Mind if I take my lovely girl away for a bit?” Jieun and Hyemi giggled at the blush that crept onto Soyeon’s cheeks. They nodded and Bambam took Soyeon’s hand, whisking her away from her friends. 

 

Hyemi pulled her phone out again and looked at Jieun. “Let’s take another selfie!” She held out the pink phone and twisted her wrist upwards for the perfect angle. 

 

“You girls are picture perfect.” They looked up to see Yugyeom standing a few feet away. Hyemi bit on her lower lip and covered to stifle a shy giggle. Yugyeom asked Jieun if he could take her friend with him and she nodded in approval. After promising to return Hyemi in one piece, Yugyeom linked his arm with her and they skated off. 

 

Jieun breathed out in content and turned around. Her eyes met with a pair of captivating, reddish-brown eyes that seemed more red due to the sun beaming down on them. Jieun’s breath caught in and she felt an almost magnetic pull towards him. She came to a slow stop and looked up at him. “Heyyyy.” She breathed out. 

 

“Hi there.” Mark chuckled. He glanced behind her and then back at her face. “Where’d your friends go?” 

 

Jieun shrugged and put her arms up. “They ditched me.” She said without any hint of annoyance. Mark copied her shrug as if saying ‘what can you do?’ Jieun slipped her hands into the pockets of her coat. “Looks like you’re stuck with me now.”

 

“Lucky me.” He responded. Jieun made a face at him and he scrunched his nose, which made her laugh. They held each other’s stare. She swore he didn’t blink once. 


Youngji was skating by and stopped in front of them. “Do you guys want your picture taken?” She held her camera up. Before Jieun could decline the offer, Mark agreed and pulled her to him. He turned Jieun around so her back was against his chest and he wrapped his arms around her waist. Surprised, Jieun’s eyes went wide and she was glad the headband covered her ears that she felt become very hot. Youngji started counting down from three. Mark blew air on Jieun’s neck, tickling her. She squealed and burst into laughter. Her own arms rested on Mark’s. Click! Youngji’s camera gave a flash and then spit out a white card. Youngji waved it in the air a bit and smiled at the photo. “Wow~ Hot couple!” She winked and handed the picture to Jieun. Mark thanked her and she zoomed off with her friends.

 

Jieun softened once the picture fully developed. Neither one of them were looking at the camera. Jieun’s eyes were crescent moons due to her laughing. Mark’s eyes were on her and there was an expression on his face he hadn’t seen before but he had a feeling he knew what it was. “We didn’t look at the camera.” She said. 

 

“It’s okay.” Mark gently took the picture from her and placed it in the pocket inside of his jacket. He gave her a tender smile and nudged her. “Let’s keep skating.” He held a hand out to her. 

 

Jieun eyed his hand and then pushed him back. “Too slow!” She shouted and quickly took off. Baffled, Mark blinked at her. What the heck? She glanced back at him and laughed at the look on his face. 

They continued the rest of their afternoon skating about and making fun of each other. The two of them joined Hyemi and Yugyeom. All four of them enjoyed the crisp air and made memories they would never forget.

-------

After hours of skating they grew famished and headed back down to the resort for dinner. Tonight’s menu consisted of a pasta bar for the students. With excitement, Jieun, Hyemi and Soyeon headed to the dining room. Dinner was loud with multiple conversations going on. 

 

Once done, they all separated to change into their bathing suits and gather at the indoor pool. 

 

Jieun and Mark strayed behind. They slowly made their way to the elevators. Mark played with the visibility ring on his finger. The skin underneath itched and felt hot. A dark purple light radiated from the ring that was only visible to him. “Mark? Helloooo.” Jieun waved a hand in front of him. He had become lost in his own thoughts. He turned his attention to her. “I asked you about the pool. You will be coming, right?” She questioned with a look that she hoped didn’t seem too desperate.

 

Mark’s heart hurt at her pleading face. The ring vibrated slightly, stealing his attention for a second. “I’m sorry, Jieun. There’s something I have to take care of. What if we meet up afterwards?” He asked. 

 

“Oh, ok.” Jieun tried her best to not look and sound so disappointed. She pressed the elevator button and turned to face him. “I’ll see you later, then.” 

 

Mark put his hands inside the pockets of his jeans and softly smiled at her. “Have fun.” Jieun waved in a small manner that made him feel guilty. The doors closed and she was gone from his view. Mark looked around and headed towards the exit. He slipped the ring off and tucked it into his back pocket. He held his hand up and a red burn wrapped around his finger. His eyebrows furrowed and he created a portal before him. I’ll be back, Jieun. He stepped forward and disappeared into thin air. 

 

Jieun walked towards her room with the key in her hand. The door to the twins’ room flung open and Hyemi pulled Jieun in, catching her off guard. Hyemi and Soyeon laughed at her reaction. Jieun let out a chuckle and laid on Soyeon’s bed. She put her hands on her belly and stared up at the ceiling. An article of clothing suddenly landed on her face, startling her. She sat up and looked at Soyeon. 

 

“I know damn well you didn’t pack any swimwear.” Soyeon mused with a hand on her hip. 

 

Jieun chortled and shook her head. “We’re in the snow! How was I supposed to know?” They all shared a laugh and started to get dressed into their swimsuits.

 

Thirty minutes later the three girls headed down to the floor where the pool was. Youngji, Jackson, Bambam and Yugyeom were already there. Bambam let out a loud whistle as the girls came closer. Soyeon scolded him, which made everyone laugh. All of the guys stripped their shirts off and jumped into the 95 degree water. “Wooh!” Yugyeom and Bambam both yelled as they went sailing into the deep end. 

 

Hyemi blushed and covered her face with her hands. “Omo!” Jieun and Soyeon snickered at her reaction. They placed their things down near Youngji and slipped their bathing suit covers off. 

 

“Come on ladies!” Bambam yelled and waved them over. 

 

Jieun lingered behind and watched the other three girls head towards the stairs. Squeals of excitement filled the room as they threw themselves into the water. She unwrapped the towel off her body and placed it on the glass table. 

 

"Jieun, get in here!” Bambam shouted. 

 

“I’m going!” She hollered back. She turned to kick the sandals off her feet when she was suddenly lifted bridal style. Jieun looked at the culprit. “Bambam! No!” But it was too late. He came to the edge of the pool and tossed her in before she could make an escape. Jieun resurfaced and slicked her hair back. She yelped as Bambam jumped in near her. She swam to the other end of the pool and hung by the edge. Mark came into Jieun’s mind and she wondered what he was doing.  She really wished he was there with her. 

 

Jieun propped herself onto the pool edge and walked towards the table. She pulled out a scrunchie from her bag and sauntered over to the jacuzzi. Steam came off from the surface of the water and it looked very inviting. Jieun dipped a toe in to test the heat and nodded her head. She walked in and stopped at the second step. She gathered her hair and tied it into a high pony. 

~~~
 

“What are you doing up here?.” A voice inquired, startling Mark.

 

Mark looked up and saw Jaebum approaching him. He’d been caught watching Jieun through the red, crystal mirror in his hands. He couldn’t help but watch as she elegantly tied her hair up and carefully sat down in the hot tub. She looked absolutely breathtaking in the white, one piece swimsuit. The ruffles on the shoulder straps added a girly touch and a lot of her back was exposed. She rotated her neck and let out a blissful sigh. A faint blush spread from Mark’s cheeks and up to his ears. 

 

Jaebum whistled. “She’s gorgeous.” He sat next to his best friend and rested his elbows on his knees. He studied Mark’s face and patiently waited for him to open up. 

 

“I am in deep.” Mark whispered. He took in a deep breath of the crisp, cold air and exhaled. He placed the mirror on the table next to him and looked around the castle rooftop. He looked into Jaebum’s eyes and spilled everything he felt for Jieun like word vomit. 

-------

It was 11:38pm when Jieun came out of the shower. She ran a brush through her blow dried hair and was about to crawl into bed when a voice echoed in her mind. 

 

Jieun, meet me at the sky lounge. I’m here now. Jieun’s heart rate increased as she scrambled to find clothes to change into. She jumped into a pair of pants, yanked a beanie on her head and looked for a jacket. She spotted Mark’s jacket hanging in the closet and grabbed that before shoving her feet into her boots. She ran out of the room and sprinted towards the elevators. The elevator could not come fast enough. Jieun entered and slammed her hand on the button to close the doors. She pressed the floor number she needed to go to and the elevator ascended. She huffed at how slow the elevator seemed to go. It stopped on the 15th floor and other guests entered. Relax, I’m not going anywhere. Jieun leaned her head back and breathed out. 

 

The elevator stopped at the top floor and she all but ran out towards the lounge. It looked very classy with dimmed, mood lighting and dark blue velvet walls. There was a bar and a few couples were cozied up together enjoying the romantic atmosphere. Jieun took in her surroundings and was in awe at the ostentatious chandeliers that hung from the ceiling. She kept walking and came to a stop when she saw him seated at a black leather couch near the glass windows. 

 

Mark sensed her presence and looked up at her in a way that made her go weak in the knees. 

His mouth stretched into a smile and he motioned her over. He patted the empty seat next to him. “I like your jacket.”

 

“It’s yours.” Jieun lamely said. She mentally scolded herself and pursed her lips. 

 

Mark chuckled and leaned towards her. “I know. That’s why I like it.” He whispered and took a sip of his cocktail. He placed a glass and a small jar of marshmallows in front of her. “I hope this is okay. They don’t have the jumbo marshmallows you like to put in your hot chocolate.” 

 

Jieun was touched by his simple gesture. “This is perfect. Thank you.” She beamed and used the spoon to dunk the mini marshmallows into her drink. She took a careful sip and made a face. “I brushed my teeth so it tastes kind of funny.” 

 

Mark laughed at her adorable reaction and placed a hand on her thigh. Jieun’s head jerked up and she met eyes with him. Even in the dim lighting she could see the sparkle in his eyes. He gave her leg a tender squeeze and put a delicious looking dessert down in between them on the table. It was a slice of cake with pink frosting and berries topping it. He grabbed one of the gold forks and took a piece of cake. He turned to Jieun and guided it to . She gave him a funny look and tilted her head. “Humor me.” 

 

Jieun playfully rolled her eyes and allowed him to feed her. The cake was delectable and melted in . She made a sound of content and held a thumb up. Jieun took the fork from Mark’s hand and cut into the cake. “Ahh.” She nudged him with her knee and held out the fork. Mark lightly grasped her wrist as she steered the fork up to his lips. He made eye contact with her as he took the piece of cake into his mouth. There was something sensual about his action that caused Jieun to become flustered. The back of her neck became hot and she was certain that her cheeks were bright red. Still holding her gaze, Mark his lips and took a long sip of his drink. 

 

He grabbed a napkin and dabbed his lips dry. Jieun swallowed nervously. Her eyes widened at his proximity as he leaned towards her once more. He pressed his forehead against hers and fixed his stare on her lips. They were slightly parted and he could feel her breath mixing with his. “Jieun.” 

 

“Hmm?” 

 

“It’s snowing outside.” At Mark’s statement Jieun’s eyes flickered over to the window. He was right! It was faintly snowing outside. “Come on.” He laced his fingers with hers and took her out to the balcony that overlooked the entire slope of the resort. The pine trees below them were decorated with white Christmas lights, bringing more life to the already lively atmosphere. It definitely looked like a movie scene. 

 

Jieun walked up the railing and held out her free hand. Snow droplets hit her palm and immediately melted. A bright smile played on her face and she looked back at Mark. He returned her smile and gave her hand a loving squeeze before letting go. Jieun rested her elbows on the wooden ledge and inhaled the cold air through her nose. She exhaled and opened her eyes. She took in the view and was mesmerized. Two large hands planted themselves on either side of Jieun. Her eyes traveled up Mark’s arms as she turned around to face him. He moved in closer and peered into her eyes. His soul penetrating gaze made her shy. 

 

“Jieun.” She loved the way he said her name. “Do you love me? Not as a friend but as a man?” He would die if she were to reject him. 

 

His question caught her off guard but she didn’t break eye contact. She searched his eyes and couldn’t believe it had taken her this long to realize she had feelings for the demon creature in front of her. She couldn't even remember why she had a crush on Jackson. For the past eight months, Mark had been there for her. Through the highs and lows. She could always count on him to be there for her. Even if he teased and annoyed her sometimes, she always looked for him. Jieun placed her hands on Mark’s cheeks and pulled his face towards her. She snuck a glance at his lips before she pressed hers against his. Elated, Mark wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her into his body. He nibbled at her bottom lip. Her lips parted and his tongue slipped into . Their tongues battled for dominance and Mark won. Jieun didn’t mind though. She placed a hand on his chest and gently pushed him back. “Yes I do.” She said breathless. “I love you. Like a man.” She looked into his eyes and was taken aback at how red they were. 

 

“Sorry.” Mark blinked and his eyes returned to their normal color. “I got a bit excited.” He blew air into his cheeks and hoped Jieun wasn’t too spooked. 

 

To his luck, Jieun didn’t run off screaming. She let out a lighthearted laugh that caused her eyes to turn into crescents. He loved that about her. He loved absolutely everything about her. He adjusted the beanie on her head and ran his fingers through her hair. She tapped his shoulder and gave him a look. “Are you going to say it back to me or what?” She crossed her arms over her chest with a huff. 

 

Mark cocked his head to the right. A playful smirk tugged a corner of his mouth upwards. “You already know I do. But I’ll say it anyway.” He stepped closer to Jieun, causing her back to press against the railing. “I love you so much Baek Jieun. I, Mark Tuan, will do anything to protect you and keep you safe.” 

 

Tuan. She finally learned his last name. She encircled her arms around his neck and gently the back of his head with her fingers. “Mark Tuan, you sound like you’re going off to war for me.” She joked but was beyond touched by his words. 

 

Mark took Jieun’s chin with his thumb and index finger and leveled his gaze with hers. “I’d endure a thousand wars just to get to you.” He murmured before pressing his mouth against hers once more. This time it was a more innocent kiss. He pecked her lips twice before enveloping her into a tight embrace. Jieun closed her eyes and her nose rubbed against his neck. She s her arms around his waist and held onto him. 

 

Mark leaned his head back as tears brimmed in his now all-black eyes. He rested his chin on top of her head and looked out into the trees. He spotted a lean figure coming out from behind a tree and he felt his heart constrict. 


Jaebum tapped his watch with an apologetic look. Mark acknowledged him with a slight nod and his friend disappeared into thin air. Mark pressed his lips against Jieun’s forehead and closed his eyes, inhaling her scent. If I have to disappear for a while please don’t forget me, Jieun. I’ll make damn sure I come back to you. You’re the love of my life.