one

from me to you, yulyen

if you told jo yuri ten years ago that she would fall in love with her best friend, she would've laughed right in front of your face. yuri only saw yena as a very close friend and she was only interested in the guys at her school. why would she ever harbor feelings about the girl she played dolls with?

well, karma must be laughing right in front of her face because she fell for the childhood girl she saw everyday. 

it wasn't automatic, it was a gradual feeling that only continued to grow as the girls grew up. yuri didn't know why her heart hurted whenever she saw yena fangirl over her favorite boy group or talk about her currently ex-boyfriends. it just did and what can she do about it?


today was the weekend before junior year started. yuri and yena were out on yuri's porch eating ice cream as they watch the sky turned into a gradient of pink and purple. their two other friends, chaewon and minju, were talking about what to expect for the upcoming school year and swatting mosquitos from their legs. 

" ooh, i heard this guy named kim yohan will be transferring to our school ! " minju squealed, showing yena and yuri a picture from his instagram. yuri didn't really pay any mind to it as he was not really her type but yena showed the same excitement as minju. maybe it was a good thing that yena didn't know about yuri's feelings for her because things could turn out really poorly between them and she wants to reserve that friendship. 

" yuri, what do you think ? " the brunette's best friend asked. yuri gave the picture an approving nod before turning her gaze to the sky once again. 

" hmm, maybe he's not her type , " minju shrugged before showing yena another picture of some guy from their school. 

" hold on, i just realize that out of all of us here yuri hasn't dated anyone yet ! " chaewon called out from the tire on the tree. yuri's blood ran cold as her friend's stared at her with shocked gazes.

" that's because she doesn't need to date anyone right now , " a more older girl said, placing a hand on yuri's shoulder. yuri sighed with relief as she has one person who won't bug her about being single. " junior year is really important since it'll be the year you guys will be taking college entrance exams . "

" didn't you date someone junior year ? wasn't it kim taehyung, one of the most popular guys in your school ? " minju asked with surprise. 

" isn't taehyung dating seunghee now ? " chaewon added.

eunbi laughed with awkwardness as yuri glared at her friend. eunbi and taehyung lasted since the fall of their junior year until the end of that year. yuri remembered seeing her older sister fight with her now ex-boyfriend in front of their house and it resulted in eunbi having a mini depression phase for a week. 

" see, that's what happens when you date someone in high school. don't make the same mistakes as i did. you guys really don't deserve any of the guys there , " eunbi sighed, cringing as she remembered her old relationship.

even though eunbi declared to yuri and her other younger sister wonyoung that she's over him, she still looked at taehyung with pain and sadness whenever she looked back at her yearbook. 

maybe that's a good thing that yuri's feelings for yena are hidden, maybe it's better to just have unrequited love and hidden feelings. 

after chaewon and minju went back home, yuri and yena decided to bake some cupcakes to celebrate the beginning of their junior year. yuri looked at the way yena's face scrunched up when she tried to get the batter in the cupcake liners perfectly. yena never really saw herself as cute but in yuri's eyes, she had the cuteness of a little duck.

" i feel bad about eunbi, it must be hard to remember your old relationship , " yena said, laying her back against the oven after the girls placed the cupcakes in. 

" yeah. i'm pretty sure she's over it now. before, i heard she wrote one of her college essays about it , " yuri scoffed. yena giggled before turning her attention to her ripped shorts. 

" i'm going to miss eunbi. i know she's in her second year of college and i should be used to it by now but after spending the majority of my summer with you guys, it's going to be weird to not see eunbi again , " yena sighed. 

" me too. at least you have me and wonyoung , " yuri agreed. 

" ah wonyoung, she's starting high school with us , " yena groaned. yena only had an older brother and she saw yuri, eunbi, and wonyoung as the sisters she never had. unlike eunbi and wonyoung, yuri saw yena as more than a sister. 

" you should've seen her when we went back to school shopping. she nearly spent $100 over the budget because she was so picky on her supplies and clothes. eunbi was so mad and nearly beated her , " yuri laughed. yena shook her head as wonyoung entered the kitchen and peered into the oven. 

" are you guys making cupcakes ? " the 14-year-old asked. 

" yeah, do you wanna help us frost them ? " yena nodded, opening the oven door and carefully taking out the cupcakes as soon as the oven started buzzing. 

" sure , " wonyoung shrugged, taking out the frosting from the refrigerator and putting it in piping bags. the three girls carefully decorated the cupcakes with the frosting, sprinkles, and other mini items. yuri saved four cupcakes for yena, wonyoung, eunbi, and herself and placed the remaining in containers for the rest of her friends. 

" yujin told me that minju told her that freshman year matters. so basically what type of clothes i wear and people i become friends with matter , " wonyoung declared. 

"  minju's lying to you. freshman year really isn't that deep, trust me , " yena scoffed. 

" maybe it's because you weren't popular , " wonyoung sassed back. yena rolled her eyes before attacking the freshman with a nearby pillow. wonyoung grabbed another pillow from the living room and smacked the older on the face with it. 

" ooh you made cupcakes- wonyoung! yena! put the pillows down before we have to make a visit to the emergency room ! " eunbi entered the kitchen and attempted to stop the girls from their mini pillow fight. 

yena's phone buzzed and she immediately pulled it out of her pocket to check it. the blonde immediately grabbed her backpack and headed towards the door door. yuri started to trail behind her best friend, helping her find her shoes. 

" thanks for having me over today! see you next time ! " yena grinned and gave her a mini wave before opening the door and leaving to go home. 

" wonyoung, help me clean up the kitchen ! " eunbi called out. wonyoung rolled her eyes but stopped after seeing eunbi's sharp glare at her. 

" if you need me, i'll be upstairs in my room ! " yuri called, trudging up the stairs. when she was sure that eunbi and wonyoung were distracted by cleaning up the kitchen, she opened her private wooden box that her mom gave her before dying. it was very important to her because it was the last gift her mom gave her and it was where she kept her most private letters. 

even though yuri was good at it, there were times where it was impossible to contain her feelings for yena all at once before it accidentally spills out. that's why she writes little letters that explains how she feels for her. since there was no way that anyone will find out these letters, she signs them. yuri grabbed a piece of blue stationery and her favorite pen and started to write. 


Dear Y, 

I wish summer lasted forever. I wish everyday was just me hanging out with you and having fun. No stress, no exams, no people, no anything related to school. 

Junior year's starting and to be honest I'm kind of nervous. Eunbi was telling me how important this year is. To be honest, I already had a lot of stress with APs last year. Now, I'm taking 3 more plus college entrance exams. >o< I can't wait for senior year. At least we'll graduate by then. 

As I'm writing this, I wonder if you would ever see my letters. If you would ever notice how I feel about you. If you would ever notice how my heart ache whenever I see you with someone else. 

Obviously you wouldn't feel the same way. I bet you if you read this (which I know you will not, they're only for me ;) you will be disgusted and throw my letters in the trash. It's okay, I don't blame you. In fact, I might do the same if it was anybody else lol. 

Anyways I hope I can get through this year without any worries. I hope I won't be involved in whatever drama that happens and I hope I keep and make some good friends that will last until possibly even graduation. 

I hope that maybe one day, even if it's just for a minute, you'll return my feelings. Even if the chances are slim to none. 

Love, Yuri