Who Are You Behind The Mask?

Who Are You Behind The Mask?

Siyeon’s manor was at full capacity. She had organized a little party, or rather her assistant Yoohyeon had organized it, for the release of her new album Black or White, who was already charting and kept climbing higher, setting new records for the artist. 

 

The theme of the party had logically followed the theme of the album, especially the mask divided into black and white on the cover. The banner at the entrance read: Welcome to Siyeon’s Masquerade. Enough to let everyone know what was waiting for them inside. 

 

Siyeon passed a good time of the first half of the evening greeting her guests as they arrived one after the others. They all warmly congratulated her for the album and she felt very proud of it but also knew that half of them didn’t mean it in any way. It was all so superficial. She had learned that in this industry everyone was your friend until you weren’t successful enough. Thankfully, she wasn’t much of a people’s person. She had a certain reputation inside the entertainment world has a lone wolf and she had pushed it to the point of making it into a song, which amused some and gained her the hatred of others. But did she care? Not at all. 

 

« Singnie!!!! » Minji engulfed her into a hug. Siyeon immediately smiled, tightening her hold on the older singer. 

 

Minji, or better known as Jiu, was also a solo singer and was from the same company as hers. They had known each other for years and had collaborated more than once. Unlike most, Minji was a very truthful, kind and friendly person. She had reached pass Siyeon’s shell with an ease that would make her fans jealous. 

 

« I can’t stop listening to this album. I already know I’m gonna blast it for the next two weeks » she told her excitedly with a huge smile. 

 

« Thanks » Siyeon gave her another hug « As you leave the charts, I enter it » 

 

« Teamwork » Minji chuckled. 

 

« By the way… » Siyeon looked at her outfit, a beautiful black dress exposing her thighs and contrasting with her bright purple hair « Where is your mask? » 

 

« Do I really need it? Everyone will recognize me because of my hair » she moved them behind her shoulders with a pout. 

 

« It’s here » Handong emerged from the crowd, wearing a black mask with golden details herself. The assistant handed Minji a black and white mask separated in the middle, simple yet very elegant. 

 

« Good evening, Siyeon » she bowed « Great party and congratulations » 

 

« Thanks, Dongie » Siyeon theatrically bowed in return, she liked to imagine that she made the girl smile behind the mask but one thing was sure, Minji did before she put it on. 

 

« Still gorgeous » Siyeon assured her once she had it on. 

 

« Where is yours though? » Handong asked.

 

« Right there » she pulled it out of her hand in a magic trick that she had learned for her choreography and that amazed her fans all the time. 

 

« Ah! » Minji exclaimed « I’ll never get used to it » she shook her head, amazed. 

 

Siyeon grinned as she put it on « And I hope no one ever does because the number of hours I passed practicing it was insane. I even did it in my sleep now » she fixed the elegant black mask with white outlines on and Minji chuckled. 

 

« Let’s party tonight » she clapped her hands happily « I’m ready to get drunk » Siyeon laughed and Handong groaned, Minji turned to her assistant « Oh, come on. You should party too. You’re allowed a break. We’re safe here. If we get too drunk I have a room upstairs » she started to drag her assistant further into the mansion where the cocktails were awaiting them but she stopped suddenly and leaned closer to Siyeon whispering excitingly « Is your assistant there? » 

 

Siyeon pulled away with a done face « Stop flirting with my assistant. She’s a mess after you do » Minji laughed and Handong rolled her eyes. The purple-haired winked before leaving with Handong in search of Yoohyeon, leaving Siyeon near the entrance chuckling to herself. 

 

She turned toward the opposite direction to greet the eventual newcomers and her eyes met the most beautiful sight that had blessed her eyes all night and probably all her life. A petite woman was strutting into her manor, long dark wavy hair flowing alongside the slight wind, her milky skin glowing under the full moon who was illuminating the entrance, a beautiful navy blue dress underlining her curves, and her white mask; with magnificent details as if sculpted on it; offered a new intensity to her dark eyes. Siyeon was left breathless, mouth dry and open and eyes widened. She had sung a lot of songs about love at first sight but that….that was something else. An attraction, a magnetism beyond what science could explain. Their eyes met and Siyeon felt electricity coursed through her entire body delightfully, she couldn’t help but gulped as she advanced to her, eyes still locked with the beautiful stranger. Something felt weirdly familiar about her, almost like Siyeon had known her her whole life. Was she a siren? A mystical creature attracting her in her trap. 

 

« Hey, Siyeon!!! » Yubin came to her side, snapping her out of her trance « Dude, I have so many ideas for a new album » the producer exclaimed but when Siyeon looked back at where the beautiful stranger had been, the moonlight was the only thing she found. She tried to look around but the place was so busy and nothing seemed like her « Sy? »

 

She blinked, putting her sorrowful gaze back on her friend « Sorry. What? » 

 

« Are you drunk already? » Yubin raised her eyebrow over her small mask that only covered the middle of her face. 

 

« I wish » Siyeon scoffed, looking at the crowd around them. It was too overwhelming for someone who passed her days alone in this mansion. 

 

« Same » Yubin, the other anti-social patted her arm « Well, I’ll enjoy the free booze » she sent her a mischievous smile. Siyeon rolled her eyes, chuckling. She had such weird yet funny friends. Her mind automatically went back to the mysterious stranger. She needed to see her again. 

 

She passed the next 30 minutes searching her, bumping into talkative guests who hold her back. She stayed polite yet expedite in her answers until finally, she stood there. In the ballroom, at the back of the room, a drink in hand. Siyeon satisfyingly smiled, just when she was starting to think that all of it had just been an illusion. The woman was like an apparition, divine and enigmatic. Siyeon didn’t waste any more time and walked over to her, passing people waltzing happily to the sound of the small orchestra in the corner. She didn’t stop, she couldn’t. No one could stop her. The stranger lifted her magnetic gaze to her and Siyeon’s feet slowed down, only she could have that effect on her. Her heart was pounding in her chest like it never did. These eyes seemed so familiar yet so foreign. She stopped a few meters away from her and they stared at each other as if they were the only two in the room. They stood examining each others’ eyes as if they hold all of their secrets. The stranger put down her drink on the table behind her and Siyeon bowed down politely, her eyes immediately fixing back on her right after. 

 

« I don’t think I did a proper hostess job » Siyeon said, trying to sound confident « We haven’t been introduced » 

 

« We haven’t indeed. You were quite busy » the woman agreed in a husky voice that gave Siyeon goosebumps. She wished so bad to see the lips that pronounced these words. For the first time that night, she hated these masks. 

 

« Welcome to my home » she smiled, even if the other woman couldn’t see it. 

 

« Thank you for having me » the stranger bowed elegantly like a princess would « Congratulations on the album…..It’s really powerful » she added. 

 

« Thank you » Siyeon grinned, placing a hand over her heart to emphasized her sentiment. They both stayed quiet, staring yet again but Siyeon wanted her closer. She needed her closer. She was so intrigued. Who the hell was she? Was she a plus one for someone? She had no idea who she could be but it was like she knew her but at the same time she didn’t « Well…. » she extended her hand « Would you grant me this dance? » 

 

The stranger’s eyes fell on her hand then went back on her. She slowly lifted her gloved hand a bit hesitantly it seemed but ultimately placed her hand in hers. Siyeon’s heart skipped a beat. She inhaled deeply and led the woman on the dance floor. She held her thin waist with her empty hand while the other had been lifted, gently holding the stranger’s hand. The newfound closeness was making Siyeon nervous. Her who had never even cared about what people might think of her. The stranger guided her on a slow waltz. They were so close that Siyeon had to control her breathing, she was one to like personal space but at that moment she just wanted to get closer to this woman who she still had no idea was. 

 

« You know my name but I don’t know yours? » she remarked. 

 

The stranger’s gaze dropped before she briefly scanned around to see if no one was listening « You can call me Bora » 

 

« Is it your real name? » Siyeon wondered. 

 

« It is » Bora’s sparkling eyes entranced her. 

 

They danced for a long time and Siyeon enjoyed every second. She could feel herself falling and it was terrifying her. It was so fast and she didn’t even know her face. They shyly talked while dancing and Siyeon definitely felt deeper for Bora’s personality. She was bright, intense, mysterious, even a little dorky. 

 

« I need to hydrate myself » Siyeon chuckled which made Bora snort. 

 

« Let’s go, before you dissolve in my arms » she led her near the buffet but Siyeon had other plans. She softly pulled Bora the other way. She planned to discover the beautiful face under that mask and no one could stop her. 

 

« Not now, Richard » she waved her hand in front of the man who had taken one step in her direction. 

 

« Where are we going? » Bora asked sounding nervous. 

 

« Do you like wine, Bora? » Siyeon asked with a smirk that only she could see. 

 

« I sure do » she chuckled. The melody of her laughter made Siyeon’s heart fluttered. 

 

She dragged her upstairs and took her in the right hallway. She instinctively looked around to check if no one was following them. The last thing she needed was a scandal about how she took a girl in her room at her party. However, her eyes fell on the other side of the hallway on a scene that was half-amusing half-shocking to her and who could have been just as much as a scandal. Minji and Yoohyeon were making out in front of Minji’s designated room. Yoohyeon was trying to open the door but the clumsy girl failed miserably. Minji turned her around, not leaving her lips and opened it herself and they disappeared inside. Siyeon smirked behind her mask, at least these two would finally release the tension that had been accumulated every time they saw each other. 

 

Siyeon opened her door and led Bora inside. 

 

« Is this your bedroom? » she asked, looking around to the sober yet rather dark room. 

 

« It is » Siyeon made her way at the table near the window on the other side of the room where an opened wine bottle was standing « I opened this wine earlier today, it’s the best I had » she took the glass already stained from the morning and she took out another one and filled them. She took both glasses and handed one to Bora. 

 

« So…did you bring me here to sleep with me? » she accepted the drink. Siyeon chuckled, taking a sip after lifting a little her mask « To be honest, I wanted to be far from all these people and…..I want to break tonight’s rules » she shifted her mask. 

 

« You want to see my face » Bora gulped. Siyeon frowned, wondering why she seemed so nervous at times. 

 

« Yes, I…..I want to know you….I don’t mind whatever is under that mask » To prove herself, she put her glass down and took off her mask « See » she smiled « Easy » she moved slowly to Bora, hands raised on both sides of her face but before her fingers could touch the mask Bora took a few steps back. 

 

She shook her head, putting her glass on the drawer « No, I can’t….It…It was stupid. I shouldn’t have come. I’m not supposed to be here » she started walking toward the door. 

 

« What? » Siyeon let out confused. Was she a fan who sneaked in? She walked up to her and stopped her from leaving. She liked her too much to care « Please, I… » 

 

« No, please Siyeon » Bora’s voice came out weak from behind the mask « I’m sorry. I….I….I wanted to see you so bad but….I….It wasn’t supposed to go this way » she took Siyeon’s hand off of her but in the commotion, her mask detached. 

 

Siyeon was left in complete shock as the mask hit the floor. She couldn’t talk for a moment and the girl in front of her seemed to be in the same state as her « S…Sua? » she breathed. 

 

No, it couldn’t be possible. Sua hated her. Sua, the best dancer and performer, the solo singer of their adverse company. Sua, who she had met a few times years again and who had spread nasty rumors that almost destroyed her career. The heaviest one being her homouality. She was forced to come out because of it, because she couldn’t bear denying it. Sua was the reason why she almost drowned, and for what? Popularity? The public’s sympathy? 

But she was also the Sua that Siyeon had had a massive crush on and not only did she almost lost her career because of her but the girl gave her a heartbreak at the same time. 

 

Now, she understood why the flow of their conversations had been so easy, why she had instantly fallen for her. She already knew her. Yet, at the same time, she was still a fool to have fallen for her a second time. 

 

« How dare you? » she stumbled backward « Come here and lie to me » 

 

« I didn’t » Sua reached for her but Siyeon backed away some more « My real name is Bora » 

 

« Get out » Siyeon spat. 

 

« Siyeon, please. It wasn’t me…. » 

 

« GET OUT » she screamed, tears forming in her eyes but she wouldn’t let them spill as long as Sua was in the room « GET OUT » Bora got startled, she stepped back and hit the door behind her. It was Siyeon who witnessed Bora’s tears. With one last pleading look, Bora turned around, taking her mask with her and exited the room sobbing. Siyeon let herself slid against the wall, bursting into tears as well. She pressed her knees against her chest, wrapping her arms around them. She cried the content of her heart out. Why did she have to like the one person that hated her and almost ruined her life? She was so stupid. Why?

Who fell for someone in one evening anyway? 

 

 

It took her almost two hours to get back on her feet. She refreshed herself and promised to herself in the mirror that Sua wouldn’t ruin this night. After all the hard work she surely deserved it. She drank her entire glass of wine and grabbed her mask. She starred at it and the image of Sua’s intruded her mind. She shook her head putting it on. She exited her room with a fake confidence, when she arrived at the stairs she could have sworn she heard a moan. She frowned until her eyes stopped where Minji and Yoohyeon had been making out. She shook her head and laughed to herself. She hoped they had a good night. 

 

Downstairs, the atmosphere had changed drastically. A DJ had taken the orchestra’s place. Loud clubbing music was played on giant speakers. People weren’t waltzing anymore. The ballroom had transformed into a full dance floor. When she entered she spotted Gahyeon dancing with two very intoxicated Yubin and Handong. Yubin usually the introvert type was crazily banging her head and touching the two women all over the place. Siyeon raised an eyebrow but her amusement died down when the crowd cheered loudly and her heart immediately skipped a few beats when she averted her gaze to what brought all this excitement. 

 

Someone was dancing on the stage next to the DJ and that someone was Sua. She had no time to feel angry over the fact that the woman had stayed, she became entranced against herself in the y dance the singer was giving. She swallowed heavily, trying to steady herself. She slowly walked across the room, passing the people too occupied to dance, flirt or drink. She stopped at the foot of the stage, looking up to Sua who seemed half-drunk but all so y. Despite her resentment for the idol, Siyeon couldn’t deny she has always been attracted to her and tonight she had just been as easily attracted by Bora. That kind of angered her how the woman could so easily do this to her. 

 

Sua’s eyes caught hers. It only took seconds before she jumped off the stage and forcefully grabbed Siyeon, leading her outside. She searched for the first room to be empty but all of downstairs was swarming with people. So she led Siyeon back up the stairs and Siyeon didn’t protest. She wanted to scream at her again, yelled to her how much she had hurt her but was dry and tight and her stupid heart wanted to be close to Sua.  

 

« What do you want? We’re not doing this again » she finally managed to say and tried to get her hand back but Sua was very strong and determined. She had remembered which door was Siyeon’s and dragged them both inside. Siyeon turned to her as she closed the door but Sua slammed her against the wall, taking off her mask and sending it flying on her bed. She did the dame with Siyeon’s but really delicately as if afraid to break her. 

 

« I can’t keep this up. I can’t leave without telling you what happened. I can’t live another day with you hating me » Sua desperately held onto Siyeon and Siyeon could see the tears shining in her eyes. 

 

« What the hell are you talking about? » she frowned « You were ing dancing for the applause » 

 

« No…. » Sua sighed « It was to gain your attention. If everyone noticed me so would you. I need to talk to you » 

 

« While I’m pinned against the wall? » Siyeon raised an eyebrow, trying really hard to keep a cold face.  

 

Sua realized what she was doing and released her, awkwardly stepping back. Siyeon sent her a nasty look and Sua dropped her gaze but stood her ground « I have to tell you everything, please. It’s eating me away » 

 

Siyeon grunted « Fine » she sat on her bed « You know what, do. Talk. Whatever » 

 

Sua took a deep breath « I…I didn’t lie to you earlier, my real name is Kim Bora. Sua is my stage name » Siyeon stared at her without any change of expression. She didn’t want to give her any reaction and hoped that it would leave. Sua sighed and continued « When we met I meant everything I said to you….personally » she clarified « My manager saw that I….liked you… » Siyeon furrowed her eyebrows, wondering where it was going and if she was being played with once again. She noticed how Sua took hold off of her right hand…who was trembling. Siyeon cocked her head to the side intrigued and kept listening « I….I really liked….like you » Sua corrected herself in a whisper barely reaching Siyeon. She gulped, exhaling deeply « I…hadn’t realized how much but he reported it to the higher-ups and…they didn’t see it with a good eye. One day I woke up with headlines in magazines of something I didn’t say. I immediately ran to the company to tell them to sue whoever impersonated me but…it was them » Some tears fell down her face as she looked up at Siyeon « They almost ended your career using me » she sniffled and Siyeon’s fist tightened « Of course, you hated me. And I thought it was deserved but….I couldn’t let go of you…..I created an account to follow you on social media, I admired you from afar » she chocked up « And the company continued to fuel this stupid feud. You hated me and I kept falling for you » 

 

Siyeon’s heart stopped. Did she hear correctly? Sua loved her? How…..

 

« I tried so hard to keep away. To forget you » Bora scoffed « But you always did something to drown me deeper » she chuckled and met Siyeon’s eyes « You’re so perfect and I’m just useless » she wiped her tears, looking away as she couldn’t sustain Siyeon’s intense gaze « When I learned about this party it was the perfect opportunity to get close to you without you knowing I was there. I…just didn’t plan… » 

 

« This » Siyeon gestured to their bare faces and Bora nodded. 

 

« I’m sorry » she whispered. 

 

Siyeon got up, sighing « I don’t know if I should believe you. I’m not the most objective for this » 

 

Bora sniffled, nodding softly « I understand » she started walking toward the door « Thanks for listening anyway » she sent her a weak smile. Her tears kept falling silently and Siyeon’s heart hurt. It was now or never again. Did she believe her? Did she want to see her again? What did she feel? She was so lost. 

 

« Wait » she called, her heart pounding. It was a tricky situation but she felt like if she was letting her go she wouldn’t see her again, that the spell would be broken and she couldn’t let that happen. She took a few steps closer to her « Please Bora, tell me I can trust you » she stared into her eyes. 

 

Bora smiled weakly and nodded frantically « You can, I swear » 

 

They stood there, staring at each other not knowing what to do next yet they knew what they wanted to do deep down.  Bora let go of the doorknob and approached the taller girl. 

 

« I want to do something that has been haunted me for a long time » her eyes fell on Siyeon’s lips and Siyeon gulped. She wanted it too but…..but…..There was always that stupid ‘but’. What’s the worse that could happen? 

 

Falling for Bora? She already had. The artist spreading rumors…again? They already did the worse to her. She thought to herself that she was so easy to manipulate. Bora could do everything to her and she would fall again. 

 

So, in a weak moment…or a strong one, she leaned in. Bora meeting her halfway. The kiss was sweet and passionate with a hint of wine. Siyeon was intoxicated. Bora put her hand at her nape pulling her closer.

 

Who cared what happened after that night. All that mattered was Bora in her arms, lips against hers. 

 

_______________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Hey, guys! 

 

Hope you enjoyed this little story? Tell me what you think. 

 

-J