Fin.

You're Still The One

Jisoo went straight to the mailbox as she entered the building. She opened her box and grabbed the mail without looking at it and shoved it inside her bag. She closed her mailbox and went to the elevator.

Entering her apartment she mindlessly dropped her bag on to the kitchen counter and took off her heels. She plopped down on the couch and sighed. It was another hectic day at the firm as she hates working on big accounts and unfortunately she was chosen as the lead architect of this big project. She just finished a project and she was expecting some rest before starting a new one but her boss just handed the project to her immediately and as much as she refused, her boss just ignored her and told her to get it started.

Jisoo felt her phone vibrate from her pocket and immediately fished for her phone and saw the caller ID "Kim Jennie". She smiled and immediately answered with "Hey, what's up?"

"Did you receive the invitation already? I got mine today in the mail." Jisoo's brows furrowed in confusion and went towards the kitchen where her bag was, "What invitation?"

Jennie sighed, "You didn't bother looking at your mail again did you?" Jisoo grinned sheepishly and put her phone on speaker and placed it on top of the counter, "At least I get my mail right? But don't worry I'm already looking through it." She looked inside her bag and a yellow colored envelope stood out. She grabbed it and her phone and walked toward her desk where her letter opener is. "Is it this yellow envelope?"

"Yes, did you open it already?" Jennie asked as Jisoo grabbed her letter opener "Already on it." and started opening the letter. She took the card out of the envelope and it said "10th year highschool reunion of Batch 2016." Jisoo's eyes widened "A high school reunion? Really?"

Jennie laughed "You'll be going right? We haven't seen a lot of them especially after college graduation, it'll be nice to catch up." Jisoo can hear a bit of persuasiveness in Jennie's voice but all she can do is sigh. "Should I go? What if he's there too?" With Jisoo almost whispering the last sentence.

Jennie sighed, "It's been five years since you guys broke up, maybe it's time that you guys see each other. You can't keep on avoiding him forever, Soo." Jisoo let out a chuckle, "Wow it's been that long already? But you're right Jen, I should go."

Jennie smiled, "Atta girl. I'll call you again okay? Kai just texted me he's on his way home." Jisoo smiled, "Thanks Jendeuk, say hi to Kai for me!"

"Will do!" Jennie ended the call. Jisoo wanted to go but there's a growing feeling at the pit of her stomach which didn't settle well with her. Jennie did have a point though, it's already been five years. She was fine and had moved on too, but the thought of seeing him scared her because it might dawn on her that she hasn't moved on at all. It scared her to think that she might have only fooled herself that she has moved on because she was already used to him not being around and she successfully coped without his presence. These thoughts kept Jisoo awake and anxious the whole night which lead to her being grumpy and caffeine-dependent the following morning. 

--- 

Jisoo stepped outside for awhile to take  a breather from all the stress inside the office. The project's becoming more and more hectic and it has drained all of her energy for the rest of the week and it was only Tuesday. It also didn't help that the reunion was this coming weekend and she just keeps on getting more anxious as the days go by. Jennie has also been calling her every day to reassure her and make sure she doesn't chicken out. Jisoo has a lot on her plate right now and her emotional baggage certainly isn't helping at all.

---

It was now Friday which meant that the reunion was tomorrow. Jisoo just came home from work and was exhausted. She plopped down on her couch and began to massage her temples in an attempt to calm herself down until her phone suddenly vibrated. She assumed it was Jennie but she had no energy to talk to anyone right now so she just let her phone ring until the call ended. She felt bad for ignoring the call but she just might snap at anyone who will talk to her right now.  Jisoo left her phone in the living room and proceeded to wash up because she will be sleeping early tonight and get her well deserved rest. 

Jisoo went out of the bathroom while drying her hair when suddenly the landline began to ring. She was surprised because no one really calls her landline since only a select few knows her number. She rushed to pick up the phone because it might really be important. "Hello?" Jisoo said with an unsure voice. 

"Jisoo I was worried about you. You weren't picking up my calls in your phone." Her mother's stern but worried voice greeted her. Jisoo was surprised that her mom would call her on a Friday evening since she usually calls on Sundays. "Sorry Mom, I was in the bathroom." Jisoo sat down on the couch and put the phone on loudspeaker. She checked her phone to see sixteen missed calls from her Mom and three from Jennie. Jisoo wanted to hit herself since she picked a bad time for deciding to ignore calls. 

Her Mom sighed, "At least you're okay. We were worried something happened to you since you always pick up calls." Jisoo felt guilt build up in her chest "Sorry again, I was in the bathroom, you know how long I take in there." Her Mom laughed, "I know how long you take in there don't worry." Jisoo smiled, at least her Mom wasn't too mad. 

"So Mom, what's up?" Jisoo asked as she texted Jennie that she'll call back in awhile as well as apologizing for not picking up her calls. "Nothing, I just wanted to check in and see how you're doing. I had this feeling I needed to check up on you today." Jisoo suddenly felt a heavy weight on her shoulders hearing her Mom's words. She didn't want to burden other people with her problems and she has always kept it in so she decided not to tell her Mom what's been going on with her. 

"I'm fine Mom" Jisoo tried hard to keep her composure even if she felt on the verge of breaking down. Jisoo's Mom did not believe her daughter one bit and asked again, "Are you sure? You can tell me anything. Don't hide it honey, you need to let it all out." 

After a few minutes of nothing but heavy breathing over the phone, Jisoo's Mom heard soft cries at the other end of the line. Jisoo who was trying hard not to break down finally broke down after weeks of never-ending stress from work as well as her emotional baggage. Jisoo's Mom just stayed silent and waited for Jisoo to calm down but how she wishes that she was with her right now to give her a long and warm hug. After a few minutes, the cries turned to sniffles and finally Jisoo calmed down. 

"Sorry Mom for breaking down like that, I guess I already reached my limit." Jisoo's Mom smiled softly over the line, "It's okay honey, it's not healthy for you to keep it all in." Jisoo smiled hearing her Mom's words, her Mom was always her number one supporter. "It's been really stressful at work and the past few weeks have been hell. Plus the high school reunion is also tomorrow--" Jisoo stopped immediately since she didn't tell her Mom about the high school reunion. 

"High school reunion? You didn't tell me about that." her mom's voice was laced with curiosity but Jisoo decided to play cool. "Oh sorry, I might've forgotten to mention it." She could imagine her Mom raising a brow at her right now. 

"So Jennie will be going as well as your other friends?" Jisoo hummed in response and her Mom stayed silent for a few seconds before asking again carefully "So he's going to be there too?". Jisoo stayed silent for a while before answering with a soft "Probably". Her mom sighed, "Will you be okay?" 

"Yes, I'll be okay Mom. It's been five years, maybe it's about time that I see him." Jisoo said with much conviction that still failed to convince her mom. "Okay then, update me." Jisoo rolled her eyes and said a reluctant "yes" before saying goodbye and ending the call. Jisoo sighed again. Her mom was a firm believer that she and Jinyoung would get back together but voila, five years have passed and they didn't get back together, let alone even see each other. Her family loved Jinyoung a lot even from the very start of their relationship and everyone thought that they would end up together. 

"Let's break up." Three words that shattered Jisoo's heart. She looked at Jinyoung with disbelief and hurt and tried hard to keep her voice from cracking, "Why?" 

Jinyoung did not look at her and said, "We just keep on hurting each other and we might end up hating each other if we continue this." 

Jisoo was dumbfounded, they loved each other but love wasn't enough to keep them happy. They fought more often and barely had time for each other since they were both starting up their careers. Love isn't enough. 

"We could try to make this work if we give ourselves another shot--" Jisoo was cut off by Jinyoung "Jisoo we have tried many times but it just isn't working out anymore. We aren't growing together, we're just growing apart." Jinyoung explained with so much conviction that broke Jisoo's heart even more. 

With that, Jisoo broke down. Jinyoung hugged her to calm her down just like he always does whenever she cries. He her hair gently that made Jisoo cry even more. Who would calm her down like this whenever she cries? Where will she get that same amount of warmth that nobody but Jinyoung has. What will she do when she misses him? Is their love really not enough? 

She hasn't seen him since that night, not even a glimpse. Whenever she thinks about their break up it always stings but she understood why they had to break up. They were pulling each other down so it was better for them to let go of each other. Jisoo was hurt and it took quite some time before she moved on, but she never got mad at Jinyoung. She never took it against him and all she needed to do was to relearn how to live her life without him. 

Jisoo dialed Jennie's number and after a few rings, she answered "Jisoo are you okay?" Jennie said with much worry in her voice. Jisoo chuckled, "Yeah, I was on the phone with Mom. Don't worry I won't chicken out." Jennie gave a sigh of relief, "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow. Love you." Jisoo hummed in response and ended the call. 

Jisoo turned off all the lights and went to her bedroom. She her speaker to play some music that will help calm her down. Dimming the lights, she covered herself with her blanket and tried to turn off all the noise inside her head. Exhaustion started to wear down her thoughts, and after a few minutes, she was off to a dreamless sleep. 

---

Jisoo woke up at seven in the morning much to her dismay. Although she tried to go back to sleep she just ended up lying awake in bed for thirty minutes. Jisoo got up lazily, fixed her bed, and went to the bathroom to do her morning routine. Looking at her reflection in the mirror, all she can see is a tired person with big dark circles under her eyes-- in short, she loooked horrible. She splashed water on her face to wake herself a bit more, brushed her teeth, and made her way towards the kitchen. 

The day passed by like a blur and it was now five in the afternoon. Jennie has called her multiple times since this morning just to make sure she doesn't chicken out. Jisoo grabbed her bag and car keys and headed out of her apartment. Jennie wanted to go with her but she outright refused because she's had enough of Jennie's constant pestering throughout the day. Jisoo swore that she was close to blocking Jennie's number but of course she couldn't do that. She was an hour away from her old high school but it really depends on the traffic. A few minutes in, the sun began to set and dark clouds were making its way to the sky. It seemed like it was about to rain. Jisoo loved the rain as it always helped her calm down, the soft patters of raindrops was like a lullaby to her. It started to drizzle, which made her smile but it didn't calm her down like it would usually do.  As she gets closer to the school, her anxiety grows. She's already blasting her favorite playlist to help calm her down but it isn't working at all. She taps the steering wheel mindlessly and hums to the songs in an attempt to distract herself but her mind was just racing with thoughts.  

What would I do if I see him? Should I say hi? Should I just smile at him? Or do I just pretend not to notice him at all? No. That's stupid. He might think you haven't moved on yet. Okay. Just smile. That's it. Smile. 

Taking a left turn, her school now came into view. The rain suddenly started to pour, and a smile made a way to her face. The rain will always calm her down, and she silently thanked the heavens because she has finally calmed down. I guess I just needed a pour and not a drizzle. 

She found a parking spot and parked with ease. She turned off the engine and grabbed her bag and umbrella. She made her way towards the entrance when she saw a man running holding his  coat over him. She rushed to his direction and called out to him, "Hey! I have an umbrella! Do you want to share?" 

The man stopped and looked at her direction. She held back a gasp and her feet were suddenly glued to the ground. He slowly made his way towards her, with every step closing the gap between them.  He looks different but a good different. Jisoo thought. He went under her umbrella and gave her a smile. "Hi, long time no see." 

Park Jinyoung was now in front of her, after five long years of not seeing him.  Jisoo felt relief but at the same time she was also overwhelmed. She almost forgot what he looked like, and a rush of emotions suddenly filled her. Jisoo looked away and said with a shaky voice, "Long time no see." This was exactly what Jisoo was afraid of, she's starting to question whether or not she has really moved on or did she just adapt to life without Jinyoung but never really came to terms with it? Why was she feeling all these emotions at the sight of him? 

Trying to keep her composure, she cleared and said "Let's go, we're going to be late.". She started walking but Jinyoung grabbed her arm. Jisoo was surprised which made her turn around to give Jinyoung a questioning look. "I have something to say to you." Jinyoung was looking at her with so much intensity that she broke off eye contact and directed her gaze towards the ground. 

She removed her arm from Jinyoung's grasp and said, "What is it?" The rain started to pour harder which forced her to step closer to Jinyoung to be fully under the umbrella. Jinyoung looked at her and said with a pleading voice, "Please look at me." Jisoo, who was looking at the ground suddenly directed her gaze towards Jinyoung since she was startled with the tone he just used. She composed herself and tried to look at Jinyoung without shifting her gaze. "What do you want to say?" She carefully asked, now looking into Jinyoung's eyes. 

"I was fully prepared to just say hi to you and walk away." Jinyoung paused for awhile and cleared his throat. Jisoo was patiently waiting for him to continue and just held her gaze towards Jinyoung. "But when I saw you with this umbrella, I thought, How could I just say hi to you and walk away?" Jisoo bit her lip and looked away as she heard Jinyoung's words. She felt like she didn't want to hear this but anticipation was also building up inside of her. 

"I don't know why I did this but I guess I just wanted to hear your voice again." Jinyoung chuckled. Jisoo wanted him to stop. Why is he doing this?  Her emotions were just all over the place. How should she feel right now? Her ex-boyfriend whom she loved very much was telling her that he wanted to hear her voice. What kind of cruel joke is this?

Mustering up all her courage, Jisoo said "What do you want me to say?" Jinyoung was taken aback with Jisoo's tone. She sounded hurt and confused. Jisoo was close to bursting to tears, "Why are you saying this? It's been five years." Jisoo said that with so much pain in her voice it hurt Jinyoung too. 

Jinyoung was at lost for words, overwhelmed by Jisoo's reaction. He felt stupid for saying that to Jisoo.  The rain started to pour harder and they were engulfed in silence. Jinyoung thought hard about what he was going to say and took a deep breath and said, "I guess I still love you after all this time." 

Hearing Jinyoung's words, Jisoo looked at him with wide eyes. "After our breakup, I always thought whether it was the right decision to let you go. I constantly thought about you and every day was a struggle because it was hard to go about my day without you. I wanted to call you and tell you that I still love you but I always stopped myself. I knew we were growing without each other and it would be selfish of me to just take it back." 

Jisoo was now crying, overwhelmed with so much emotions. Jinyoung hugged her just like before, and Jisoo felt as if she was finally home. She has never loved anyone like she loved Jinyoung. Six years wasn't a joke and they went through so much together. Jinyoung was a big part of her life and no matter how much she tried to forget him, he always held a place in her heart. Probably she knew the answer all along, to why was she afraid of coming to this reunion. She just kept denying it; that after all this time, she still loves Jinyoung. 

Jinyoung was her home, and will always be her home. "You're so stupid. Why did you wait for five years?" Jisoo muttered between her sniffles which made Jinyoung laugh. "I was a coward, and honestly I was afraid to come here." Jisoo let go of Jinyoung and looked at him with a teasing look, "You're lucky that I didn't even bother dating much after we broke up. What if I already had a boyfriend?" 

Jinyoung laughed, "Jaebum updates me you know. Even if I don't ask for it, he'll casually update me about you." Jisoo's eyes widened and with a horrified look she said, "Jaebum updates you? I know you guys are bestfriends but why would he update an ex? I am going to kill him when I see him later." Jisoo was furious, how dare her cousin update her ex about her? 

Jinyoung laughed, "I know, I've been telling him that for the past five years. Probably the main reason why I really haven't moved on. It's like he was preventing me from moving on by constantly talking about you." Jisoo noticed his eyes crinkling and a small dimple forming on his cheek, she missed seeing that. She missed him a lot. 

Jisoo reached out to touch Jinyoung's face,  "I missed you." Jisoo's look was full of love which melted Jinyoung's heart. He pulled Jisoo again into a hug, "I missed you too." He kissed her forehead and smiled at her. 

Five years was a long time, but it gave them enough time to grow as individuals. A lot has changed for sure, but their feelings never did. In the end, they were going to find their way back to each other, now more mature and experienced. Now that they were given a second chance, they wouldn't waste it.